Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 16:43   #16
BHPian

re: Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022

EV's are coming. Before charging infrastructure is built, hybrids will give a taste for electric to the masses. I'm not saying Honda will release their ICE variant. But its something all car manufacturers will inevitably do in the run up to the sea of green number plates that we will see.
Old 21st September 2021, 19:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda City hybrid will launch in India only after March 2022. Hybrid version is expected to command Rs 2-2.5 lakh more than the regular petrol model.
Wouldn't incentives for Hybrid through FAME kick in for this? If so the price could be less right? This is probably the reason why Honda is willing to put this product out in India.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 8th November 2021, 16:08   #18
BHPian

I am strongly considering the Honda City (5th gen) and am very tempted to wait for the Hybrid. However, I am not a fan of the styling on the RS variant and that seems to be the only variant on offer in Malaysia, where the Hybrid is currently being sold. I do hope that a version with styling and features comparable to the ZX variant is also available. An upgraded ICE system would be a welcome change but, other than that, I much prefer the ZX to the RS. I am conflicted about waiting another 6 months or so only to be disappointed by the RS version. What do you guys reckon?!

I couldn't attach the brochure for the Malaysian Honda City as it exceeds the file size but it can be viewed on this link. A thread on the Malaysian Honda City can be found here (Honda City Hybrid for Malaysia revealed; India launch on cards).
Old 8th November 2021, 17:44   #19
BHPian

With the sedan space commanding less than 10% market share as per the latest October sales figures, I really doubt the Honda City Hybrid version will convert into lot of sales for Honda. It will definitely create a lot of buzz. Also, going by the past, Honda will definitely price it in the range of 28 - 30 big ones which is a lot of money and the end consumer will evaluate a lot of options and making it tougher for the City Hybrid to win that battle. This is an interesting space though, especially with the skyrocketing fuel prices and time will tell us the actual story.
Old 8th November 2021, 18:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Also, going by the past, Honda will definitely price it in the range of 28 - 30 big ones which is a lot of money and the end consumer will evaluate a lot of options and making it tougher for the City Hybrid to win that battle.
Wait what? It is the City hybrid, not the Civic! Everything apart from the powertrain is going to be locally made, so a 2-2.5 lakh premium is what is expected.

This City hybrid is going to get some attention from people in Delhi, who already love Honda, and cannot buy a diesel without being bothered by the 10 year rule by NGT.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 21:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Wait what? It is the City hybrid, not the Civic! Everything apart from the powertrain is going to be locally made, so a 2-2.5 lakh premium is what is expected.
The Honda Civic Hybrid carried a premium of INR 9 Lacs over the 1.8 Petrol NA in 2008-09. If you look at Honda’s pricing strategy with the current CIVIC and CRV that got discontinued few months back, they will definitely price the City Hybrid at a higher price point. Hybrid being one of the biggest differentiators in the segment, they will try and take advantage of the skyrocketing fuel prices too.

From a product offering standpoint, they don’t have an SUV, and with the Civic and CRV being discontinued, they will try to fill that gap with the City Hybrid and encash the “City” brand's potential to the fullest.
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Honda City Hybrid almost production ready for India

Honda is said to be gearing up to launch the City Hybrid in India. Rumours suggest that the car is nearly production-ready and could be introduced in the next quarter.

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-hondacityhybridrs.jpg

The launch of the City Hybrid was delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We have now learned that the project has passed the prototype stage and the Honda management is very eager to launch the car in the Indian market.

The City Hybrid will be Honda's first mainstream hybrid offering in India. The car is expected to be powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder, naturally aspirated petrol engine producing 97 BHP and 127 Nm and two electric motors. One of the electric motors is integrated with the petrol engine and acts as an integrated starter generator (ISG). The other powers the front wheels via a single, fixed-ratio gearbox. It generates 108 BHP and 253 Nm.

The City Hybrid is believed to be a game-changer for Honda. The hybrid powertrain is expected to boost fuel efficiency and will no doubt be its USP.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd March 2022 at 10:11.
TusharK is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:20   #23
BHPian

The electric motors are fine, but why did they have to de-tune that iVTEC to such an extent? Is it a case of the combined output becoming too much for the car to handle?

EDIT : It seems this is a different engine and not the VTEC used in the regular city.

Last edited by Parth46 : 3rd March 2022 at 10:35.
Parth46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Civic hyrbrid was there too. It did not do very well because of the pricing.
If Honda is not able to price it well then it will remain a dream only. But a sedan delivering 20kmpl in the city traffic is the need of hour.

Hope Honda has done enough dreaming and wakes up. Price it well and we will have a winner. Honda probably is threatened by the Slavia and is pulling out it's tricks. I hope this is not a "Ecosport" new model moment of Honda.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:54   #25
BHPian

If they can really price it at a premium of 3 Lakhs they will change the sedan game. Otherwise at that price option (20L +) fuel efficiency isn't the only criteria.
busydrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:00   #26
BHPian

I ain't see City Hybrid as a gamechanger, may be it shall if they undercut the price of City Diesel or even match with it (also in terms of efficiency). Until then its a niche product.

Honda should bring that mid size SUV to compete with Creta as soon as possible, being late for the party they need to be the show stopper (in terms of technology and price) to gain the sales momentum other players have catched up.
architect_santo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's Hybrid City for India, likely to be the same as launched in Malaysia:

- ~2Km purely in electric mode
- ~ 26+ km/L

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-1.jpg

volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Is it a case of the combined output becoming too much for the car to handle?
There is no combined output here. Honda's system is very different to the usual hybrids that we see.

The engine is manily there to charge the battery. Hence, the engine works independently and will always try to be at the optimum rpm. Meaning the speed of the vehicle and the rpm/ note of the engine won't have any correlation. This is going to be weird to drive, but very good for efficiency.

There is no transmission and the main drive will be the electric motor. But with an engine running for company. The plus side is that you don't have to look for a charger, you are generating the electricity for the battery by burning fuel in the car. The car can also take the drive from the engine too when the load demands it (highway speeds, inclines etc.) but it will be limited as there is no transmission and it's a single speed overdrive.
deetjohn is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Honda is said to be gearing up to launch the City Hybrid in India. Rumours suggest that the car is nearly production-ready and could be introduced in the next quarter.
I recently received a call from my dealer inquiring if I was interested in exchanging my current City for a new one. Since I am currently considering the MG ZS, I asked if they had any electric vehicles in the pipeline, to which he said that the City Hybrid is slated for launch in the next 3-4 months. However, they still don't have any plans for a pure electric model in India.
fordfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:30   #30
BHPian

Can i hear Slavia getting killed? Seems like it!
omranga98 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks