Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 14:29   #136
BHPian

re: Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022

Finally a launch date. As pointed out earlier, if Honda prices this sensibly, they can usher the hybrid era that we have been deprived off for so long now.

Cheers!!
Samegoodkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:15   #137
BHPian

Looking forward to the launch. To me this sounds more like a viable and practical option for someone looking to buy a relatively hassle-free sedan and keep it for the next 8-10 years until the government and the infrastructure catches up when owning pure electric vehicles in India becomes "really a reality and practical".

Considering the technology and the lack of full-fledged long-range battery Honda should, hopefully, not get greedy with the pricing. A 1-1.5 lakhs over the current top end City would be acceptable.
kpkeerthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:30   #138
BHPian

I hope our GST structure does not kill the hybrid. Currently Hybrid's in India seem to be taxed at a whooping 43% (28 % GST + 15% cess).

Source :: https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ption/88136139
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 17:41   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I hope our GST structure does not kill the hybrid. Currently Hybrid's in India seem to be taxed at a whooping 43% (28 % GST + 15% cess).
This is correct - there is no discount on a Hybrid. They had discounts on the "Micro" Hybrid (read fake hybrids with Start-Stop) created by Maruti and few others. Finally they realized they were being taken for a ride and scrapped all discounts on Hybrids.
Old 31st March 2022, 18:21   #140
Senior - BHPian

Fingers crossed. Hope Honda doesn't get greedy with the pricing. I did go over some of the reviews from Malaysia and it does indeed look promising.

As I understand, this will be better than the namesake mild hybrid offered by Maruti and can power the car purely in EV mode(only for few mins) OR use the engine power to charge the battery which will run the electric motor in city speeds. In any case, this can help with increased fuel economy. However the hybrid may not be of much use on highway speeds.

It will definitely suit my needs as it will turn out to be more frugal in choked city drives(returning more economy) while the performance on highway is not compromised(due to petrol engine)

Lets hope Honda prices this sensibly (say something like ZX Diesel + AT premium)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:12   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Fingers crossed. Hope Honda doesn't get greedy with the pricing. I did go over some of the reviews from Malaysia and it does indeed look promising.

As I understand, this will be better than the namesake mild hybrid offered by Maruti and can power the car purely in EV mode(only for few mins) OR use the engine power to charge the battery which will run the electric motor in city speeds. In any case, this can help with increased fuel economy. However the hybrid may not be of much use on highway speeds.

It will definitely suit my needs as it will turn out to be more frugal in choked city drives(returning more economy) while the performance on highway is not compromised(due to petrol engine)

Lets hope Honda prices this sensibly (say something like ZX Diesel + AT premium)
He He I also spent my day looking at you tube reviews from Malaysia.

In Malaysia it is priced at 106000 Ringgit which at current exchange rate brings it to approx 19L OTR. Fingers crossed.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:16   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
In Malaysia it is priced at 106000 Ringgit which at current exchange rate brings it to approx 19L OTR. Fingers crossed.
And no way would we be able to expect a price close to that. It would cross 20L ex showroom and then an exorbitant OTR here in Bangalore. Hope they dont do as I say
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:41   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
And no way would we be able to expect a price close to that. It would cross 20L ex showroom and then an exorbitant OTR here in Bangalore. Hope they dont do as I say
Not very optimistic, but hoping for a some sense here and Honda you have a game changer(for sedans as well)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:45   #144
BHPian

1. Good to see the improvements from Honda stable. Any Idea on what would be the battery life , as normal batteries are coming with either 4 Years / 5 years lifetime.

2. What would be the approximate battery replacement cost, incase if it goes bad, or not able to get it charged
Old 31st March 2022, 22:10   #145
sbm
BHPian

Here is a video I found on Toyota Hyrbrid maintenance. It highlights some important points about hybrid battery maintenance.
Old 31st March 2022, 22:20   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Important to note that the petrol engine on the City hybrid is not the same as a one in the normal City. The normal City gets an ivtec engine making around 120ps while the one in the hybrid makes around 95ps. The petrol engine in the hybrid uses the Atkinson cycle, which is known for excellent fuel efficiency but not necessarily for cracking output.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 22:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

I'd reserve my comment till after a long term review! But if they can make a Rs 40L Camry then why not a Rs 30L Honda City?? All this for what: to bump up the FE from 10-12 kmpl to 17-19 kmpl. It's not a sporty City that may have found some takers but just a slightly more efficient one at best. When I got my City some 5 years ago it was Rs 16 L (OTR) now the asking price of the Hybrid is almost nudging Rs 30L!! City was meant to be sporty they should have got the 1 litre Turbo RS instead of this! I'm perfectly satisfied with my NA 1.5L i-Vtec and CVT at the end of 5 years. I'll definitely take a test drive of the hybrid and see if it's worth it!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 31st March 2022 at 22:59.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 03:45   #148
BHPian

If an option is given I would love to get my 5th gen Steel Metallic Grey City painted in that awesome shade of blue that’s being shown in the pic

If marketed and priced well, I think City can perform better than Virtus and Slavia. Considering from a layman’s perspective who is out there in market to get his “big sedan” and isn’t an enthusiast, will hold City at a more reliable and at a higher aspirational value compared to the other two. Throw in a promise of exceptional mileage and eyes closed City is a winner for that buyer. Not to forget Honda dealerships have proudly started showing off the 4star GNCAP and 5 star ASEAN NCAP ratings for the city.

I feel Hybrid city would land somewhere between 20-22 L OTR.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 1st April 2022 at 04:01.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 07:45   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
When I got my City some 5 years ago it was Rs 16 L (OTR) now the asking price of the Hybrid is almost nudging Rs 30L!! :
As of now the top end City AT costs little over 18L which is roughly about 2L extra compared to 5 years ago City.
Current city has lot of features completed to previous generation. Keeping inflation and features in mind I think 2L difference is fine. In my opinion comparing Hybrid with petrol City will not be faire.
As mentioned earlier in this thread the GST for Hybrid cars are on the higher bracket. Hence we don’t know how Honda will price it. It’s worth waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
City was meant to be sporty they should have got the 1 litre Turbo RS instead of this!
We don’t know yet the Sportiness is lost!!
Going by the 0-100KMPH time sheet mentioned couple of posts ago, I guess the mojo of City in the Hybrid version is still intact. I am hoping for this to become the best City period. My only concern with Hybrid City is the avg life of the battery and cost of replacing it in the future.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 1st April 2022 at 08:01.
arvindmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 17:19   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
This is correct - there is no discount on a Hybrid. They had discounts on the "Micro" Hybrid (read fake hybrids with Start-Stop) created by Maruti and few others. Finally they realized they were being taken for a ride and scrapped all discounts on Hybrids.
If I recollect it right, it was categorized as hybrids only (before the discounts were scrapped) but its just that these micro hybrids took the advantage.

Cheers!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks