Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2022, 15:45   #241
BHPian

re: Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Price reveal in May. And here are the contents in the basic Kit.

Attachment 2296499
I have seen pliers and screwdriver as a part of the kit but this is the first time I am seeing a Hammer

And by the looks of its for glass breaking during emergency.

Well I have something similar that I keep in my car, but well its a knife. Its got a glass breaker in the bottom, belt cutter, and a blade with both normal and serrated edge.

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-20220414_153721.jpg
Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:05   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR07 View Post

I feel your analysis seems to be incorrect on multiple fronts.
No analysis is an absolute truth - for some one car may make sense while for others another.

Let me put it in a different way. If I’m going to get hatch like boot space in a City, I’d also seriously consider an EV as well if I was considering the City hybrid. Unless I wanted to do 400 km long road trips these could also serve the purpose equally well.

Pure economics was not the sole criteria I mentioned - I suspect an MG EV would also be much nicer to drive than the City hybrid but we should wait for our own test drives to form that view, I admit.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:19   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
Doesn't look like a black grill. It's all chrome with some shadow casting on the Honda logo.
The piece of grill where the Honda badge sits will be chrome only.
There is black horizontal lined air dam below the grill on the normal City, but here on the Hybrid it will be a honeycomb grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What is the EV only range in city before engine starts?
The pure EV range will be only around 2 to 3 kms as per an insider's claim.
But with regeneration, in City conditions, it can stretch to another couple of kms, before the engine kicks in to charge the battery.
This will be for slow speeds only. As the speeds rise the engine starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
On the flip side, do not expect the thrills and 7000rpm shenanigans of the 1.5.
On paper the engine seems to be of the same block as in Normal City petrol.
But it seems the engines are different. Also here it runs on Atkinson cycle and the DOHC ivtec is for fuel efficiency only and not at all for performance.
The car will be fast enough but the thrills of a performance ivtec won't be there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
I have seen pliers and screwdriver as a part of the kit but this is the first time I am seeing a Hammer

And by the looks of its for glass breaking during emergency.

Honda have been providing the Hammer as part of the kit for some time now.
And believe me when I say, the side glasses does crack easily with even a slight hit by the provided hammer.
Flying Shadow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:35   #244
BHPian

Thanks for all this info

What exactly is a "space saver" tyre? Does it inflate like a balloon or something?
LordSpymaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:11   #245
BHPian

A Lot depends on the price. If priced 2L & above on-road than the regular city then I see no point in going for Hybrid financially, as you essentially pay up while buying & save money in the day-day run. If your daily running is very high one could anyways buy the diesel variant. If that 2L is invested in the right instruments it can fetch 10% yearly returns i.e. 20k per Year or ~1700 per month; plus the principal belongs to you.

So only if the difference in fuel costs savings p.m. between regular city & hybrid is more than 5k then only it makes sense purely based on financial calculations.
PS: These are rough back of the envelope calculations.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th April 2022 at 08:14. Reason: Month to Year
amit1agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:18   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Thanks for all this info

What exactly is a "space saver" tyre? Does it inflate like a balloon or something?
It is in the words itself.

In case of bigger cars, if the manufacturer put the same sized tyre ( as of the 4 wheels on car) of the car as the additional 5th tyre in the boot, it takes up a lot of the boot space.
So the usable boot space for the customer will be less than intended.

So instead they provide a smaller sized spare tyre whose function is just to transport the car to a nearby tyre shop and then get the original tyre repaired or replaced.
Since these tyres are smaller in size, it eats less in to the boot space. This is marketed as a win for customer.
But these tyres are usually speed restricted too.

In reality it is always a win for the manufacturer.
A small space saver tyre costs considerably less than the stock tyres on the cars.
A manufacturer selling 10s of 1000s of cars each month, saves a lot money easily this way.
Flying Shadow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:18   #247
BHPian

I think this car will flop massively. The future is EV and it is here. If anyone has driven any of the current on sale EVs it would be easy to see that.
A CNG hybrid would have been better I think. Would have just costed around a lakh more and would be cheaper to run.
So wish something like VW groups CNG cars which are nicely integrated and available with automatic will launch in India.
God knows who takes these strategic decisions but that is the reason Honda remains in the position it is in our market.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:48   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City e:HEV TVC's.

volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 18:35   #249
BHPian

Apart from everything about e:Hev in the launch event, one thing which caught my attention in the event was this statement by Takuya Tsumura(President & CEO Honda Cars India) - "Honda aims to introduce Honda Sensing technology in all future model launches in India" which means that Honda is considering ADAS technology to be very much relevant for Indian market.

Last edited by skarthiksr : 14th April 2022 at 18:36.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 19:48   #250
BHPian

Assuming that the eHEV variant costs 22 lacs on road. Would that be value for money or appropriate or loose its value ? I personally think it should be not more than 19-20 on road considering that the City ZX CVT is 17.5 on road. Hope they dont price it excessively higher and negate the hard work theyve done, I would like to see Honda succeed in India and bring back the CRV, Accord and introduce the HRV in India.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 19:55   #251
BANNED

Honda should be able to price the Hybrid variant competitively because there is no gearbox in their implementation; instead, the motor and battery will come. After engine, gear box is the most complex and costly hardware, IMO.

This is unlike the Hybrid implementation of some other manufacturers like Suzuki, where gear box is still used, and battery + motor are additional hardware.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 20:00   #252
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
I think this car will flop massively. The future is EV and it is here. If anyone has driven any of the current on sale EVs it would be easy to see that.
I infact see it on the contrary. I don't see much future for EVs especially given our infrastructure. One can buy an EV only if they intend to use it for city use only. Therefore you would need another car for highway usage. I see the following blockers for EVs which hybrids are immune to-

1) Very low range for highway rides
2) Very few electric charging stations (be it city or Highway)
3) extremely high charge times. I get impatient while filling up the car for 5-10 mins. Charging (and subsequently in future waiting) for 50 odd mins is not my cup of tea.
4) Long term efficiency of batteries is a unknown. The replacement costs also are quite high.
5) As seen in few cases, it can be a safety hazard, with electric vehicles catching fires nowadays.
6) The charging cost isn't exactly 0 per se. You still have to shell out about 20% of the cost you are paying for fuel. I believe the way current government is handling things, there might be a future tax/increase in electric vehicle charging cost, once the EV adoption increases
7) EVs aren't exactly environment friendly. Infact it might cause more harm than traditional ICE cars !
CR07 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 20:44   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Honda should be able to price the Hybrid variant competitively because there is no gearbox in their implementation; instead, the motor and battery will come. After engine, gear box is the most complex and costly hardware, IMO.

This is unlike the Hybrid implementation of some other manufacturers like Suzuki, where gear box is still used, and battery + motor are additional hardware.
Although I understand your logic, it beats me because, not only without the gearbox, even wthout having an engine, that too under lower GST slab due to being an EV, Tata could not price Nexon within 20% of its petrol siblings' price. Hence I really doubt Honda can pull off this at the price you are expecting.
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 21:09   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Although I understand your logic, it beats me because, not only without the gearbox, even wthout having an engine, that too under lower GST slab due to being an EV, Tata could not price Nexon within 20% of its petrol siblings' price.
All comes down to the battery capacity and cost, I guess. City Hybrid has a battery capacity of less than 1 kWh, while Nexon EV has a battery of 30 kWh.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 14th April 2022 at 21:13.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 21:19   #255
BHPian

The RS trim would have added an extra aspirational motive over the regular city. If the price difference is more than 2 lacs RS made sense. Looks like there is not much of change from the regular city sold here already. No doubt, the hybrid concept sounds interesting though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks