Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2021, 09:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

I always preferred Diesel for its torque, fuel cost and that turbo when I need to overtake in high-ways.

Due to the current price of the fuel regardless of them being Petrol or Diesel or the ever-increasing labour charges when I give my vehicle for service, it doesn't make sense to buy a new Diesel car.

I'm am going to hold on to my Diesel for as long as possible and then most probably switch to EV. But if in case that is not possible, then I might buy a diesel, but that would be very unlikely.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 09:12   #32
BHPian

Commenting as I am not able to vote.

Will go for Diesel again.

Why: About 4 years back I switched to Diesel (to Aspire from i10). Ever since, have been a fan of diesel mills. Till the time I was using the i10, the FE calculations, made me use the 2 wheelers extensively and post diesel switch over, i felt the cost of running the diesel car and my RE 2 wheeler are not quite far, considering the additional safety and comfort of 4 wheelers.
Turbo lag exists in my Aspire, but still its only a small rpm range and is digestible compared to FE of Turbo petrols under spirited driving.

With my entry level diesel having such good reasons, I can understand how the high end diesel engines would have much bigger fan following , for the right reasons.

I only hope that the BS6 DPF niggles are sorted put before my next diesel buy (may be about 3 or 4 years down the line).
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 09:18   #33
BANNED

I am absolutely sure that the people who are hastily jumping in to the Electric bandwagon withouth any credible info(other than some paid BS) being available as of now are going to be deeply disappointed in a few years.

They will be stumped by the battery replacement costs and availability along with the steep rise in electricity bills while being hampered by spotty electricity availability for sure.

They must take in to consideration that the wheeled gadgets are so unviable to be serviced because of the battey(dicatated by the sole supplier, the angelic Chinese) being their prime component accounting for over 90% of the vehicle's cost. It will havr to be scrapped after the battery degrades.
COMMUTER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 09:53   #34
BHPian

I voted for option 1. I love my Diesels and will drive them as long as I can legally. Diesels May be clattery, smelly and heavy but one thing what they excel at is TORQUE. Love the way they build speed without fuss and munch miles.
That being said, EV is here to stay. While a lot of posts condemn EVs and point to battery expenses, Chinese sources, lack of infrastructure and what not, it is a fact that fossil fuel is on its way out. Not now, maybe not in the immediate future but the next 5-10 years will be a major shift in engine tech. No Petrol or Diesel engines, just alternate sources.
I’m eyeing an EV just because I don’t have to worry about any wear and tear in the awful Pune traffic, no worries about my DSG overcooking, no worries about my left thigh and calf getting a workout, no worries about saplings on the side of the road getting affected, no worries about staying put in traffic with the AC ON, worrying about the effect on the engine and fuel expense. It just suits the modern lifestyle. All the naysayers and haters, go eat your whatever out.

PS: I’m keeping my diesels for long highway drives and EVs for city commutes; guess that how it should be right now.

Last edited by roadrunner_nv : 29th August 2021 at 09:55. Reason: Added PS
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 10:27   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Always a diesel guy and hence chose option 2.

Reasons :

1. Usage - This month for an example, I have already driven 4000 km, with 3 more days to go for the end of month. Even today there is a 5 rupees gap between diesel and petrol prices. It does matter when the usage is above average.

2. Torque - N/A petrols have poor torque (<1.5 L) and turbo petrols have poor fuel efficiency when driven hard. Being used to torquey diesels, petrols don't excite me.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:10   #36

I have been driving a Diesel (Scorpio, Tata Manza & Audi Q3) for last 12 years. Now moving back to Petrol (Booked Seltos DCT & Taigun GT), whichever comes first.

However, Another worry for Petrol buyers is Govt's drive to move towards E20 blend in next couple of years. Most of the current Petrol engines come with E10 compatibility. The transition towards E20 would mean challenges for Petrol engines - There would be cost to modify the existing engines from E10 to E20 plus the performance drop.

Now am totally totally confused about what to buy... Petrol, Diesel or EV. Annual running is 10-15K (both city and long haul) & 15-25L budget.

Any suggestions ???
yadavsunil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:36   #37
BHPian

Voted for - I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible.
Have an Alto as a beater car for city drives and just replaced a diesel mill with another better one last year for the highways. I plan to keep it for a min of 10 yrs or may be even 15 yrs. By then, overall EV ecosystem would have matured to dependable levels as also the GOI policies on pollution would be way more stricter.
As long as the fuel is available (I guess it will around for some time to come - thanks to commercial vehicles) along with quality service and spares, I will keep my current diesel engine.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:48   #38
BHPian

Diesel was a boon to drive in B2B traffic (Used "was"as no more 4 hour office drive - yes you guessed right, my work location is on Bengaluru's ORR)

But with Delhi ban on 10 year old diesel vehciles I guess other metros will follow suite even if not immediately, especially Bengaluru.

Low end torque of diesel is sorely missed on NA petrol and turbo petrol isn't matured yet to take plunge. The budget 3 cylinder turbo petrols are noisy, over stressed and vibrates a lot (Found it in Triber TD) - no offence to Triber owners.

BS6 diesel with AdBlue additive, DPF clog seems to be like 2 stroke engine oil addition (additional overhead perspective) seems more things to take care before hitting the road.

Hence going for 2019 diesel pre-worshipped to enjoy last phase of ICE.
Ritz2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I will continue to buy a diesel-powered car till as long as it is available.

Reasons:-
* Torque - nothing comes close to the wooosh of a low-end diesel torquey punch

* Usage & Fuel Efficiency - I have driven diesel cars for the past 11 years now with close to 1,95,000 km across cities and highways (earlier it was the diesel Dzire and now its the diesel Vento). The average fuel efficiency over this duration has very rarely gone below 15-16 kmpl, even with air-conditioning switched ON.

* Resale - although I haven't bought a diesel car with its future resale price as a consideration, but in general, this is a favorable point over petrol any day

Now, coming to the interesting comments made by the Honorable Union Minister encouraging automakers to discourage diesel engines and switch to other fuels like bio-ethanol - check out this piece of information - citing Gadkari's family owned Manas Group is into blending of ethanol with petrol, apart from interests in other green energy businesses.

Again referring to his family’s business, he said, “In Vidarbha, we are making 2 lakh litres of bio-ethanol per day. In your scooter and car, 10% ethanol is added, which is made in our sugar factory."

Well, well
JoshMachine is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 12:01   #40
BHPian

I’m a diehard fan of silent cars but post tasting VW TDI, there is no turning back. No matter what I’m far diesel any time for the magnificent pull which puts a wide smile on my face. My buddy ready to take off somewhere on the way to Gokarna.

Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-img_20210312_172624-1.jpg
glovins2004 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 12:04   #41
BHPian

I will continue to stick to Diesel as long as possible. Only till the EVs come in with easy recharge stations & longer mileage per charge, will I consider moving to Petrol.
The cost advantage of a diesel vehicle over a period of time outweighs the smaller increase in maintenance costs over petrol.
emmenhr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 12:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
But l seriously agree for once with what Mr.Gadkari requested all OEMs in India yesterday....
It is not about emission norms. The transporter lobby is at the throats of the Govt for subsidized fuel. Once the private vehicles (at least a substantial chunk) moves back to petrol, then diesel can be cross subsidized by costlier petrol.
If petrol was as easy a solution to emission problems as it is being made to look like, then why are the more polluting transport vehicles not being asked to shift to petrol?
Also, why doesn't the Govt prescribe a minimum fuel efficiency/mileage for all 5 seater and 7 seater vehicles?
low_rider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 12:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
No diesels anymore for the majority of us up here in NCR. 10 years of usable lifespan is too less, unless the usage is extremely high and one is ok with next to 0 resale value.
Agree partly Sir. Diesel engines are very torquey and thus addictive. True that we get next to zero in resale. Need to change my yeti and considering the resale, I am left wondering as to the vehicle. Although I am still looking to buy another diesel.

Last edited by deepfusion : 29th August 2021 at 12:19.
deepfusion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 12:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Diesel is a dinosaur that does not belong to the modern age. I know that I will be bashed left, right and center for this personal opinion of mine. But l seriously agree for once with what Mr.Gadkari requested all OEMs in India yesterday. There is a reason why Americans never fancied Diesel much and it was not just because of its tag of Dirty Fuel.
The sound of the Truck-ish Diesel engine is such a mood dampener. And thanks to VW, Diesel has lost a lot of support worldwide as a fuel for the future. Now keeping aside my rant...

The GOI is very clear in its stated aim of weaning away Indian consumers away from Fossil fuels. Diesel would definitely be the first one to perish, followed by Gasoline with CNG being the last probably. The GOI has been very clear in its aim of attacking Emission and Fuel Economy rather than safety. Safety has been given lip service in terms of brochure-able features without doing actually enough to improve overall road Safety by promoting seat belts or a stronger BIW. Considering this, definitely Diesel's medium and long term prospects are poor.
Wrong. The Americans hated diesels primarily from their experience with diesel cars introduced in early 80s due to starting problems in cold climates and other issues. Introduction of Common rail and Direct Injection and turbo fixed all the problems long back but that perception is not gone. Another factor is diesel is actually costlier by at least 20% in US than gasoline so that makes it a bit unattractive besides limited availability of diesel on gas stations.

Just from efficiency point of view (hence environmental), diesels are always MORE efficient than its petrol counterpart as compression ratio in diesel is always much higher. Those who learnt Carnot cycle will know compression ratio makes theoretical engine efficiency of diesel always higher than a petrol one. Hence a 2.0 TDI (190HP) in Audi Q5 today returns 12kmpl whereas a 2.0TFSI with around 190HP returns 8kmpl.

Someone mentioned BMW 320d (190HP) returns 15kmpl on highway. No petrol car (with similar power) can ever match that, even close.
Diesel has been unnecessarily vilified and VW emission scandal has made it worse. Modern cars almost suppress the diesel clutter inside the cars and a developing country like India should encourage diesel for fuel saving and we seem to be doing the opposite.

Diesel engines are costlier though due to common rail hardware though.
OffRoadFun is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 12:26   #45
BHPian

Until unless made available, I will go for diesel.
All said, I am more aligned to Hybrid cars. The next era should be hybrid cars and then purely EV. Petrol+Electric motor combination can throw diesel options out of the market.

I owned Grandi10 diesel earlier and now pre-owned Duster diesel. Now, I am looking forward to XUV7OO or used XUV5OO. There is so much fun in bigger diesel engines and with perfect AT's it makes your life just so smooth. I would like to enjoy IC engines until they are made available.
GRAND23 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks