Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 09:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

We shifted to petrol after selling the Diesel Logan after ~10 years of ownership. Had munched ~1L happy miles with it while enjoying the occasional 'torque rush'.

When the time came for new car, I still wanted to stick to diesel for both the torque feeling and the high fuel economy which provided absolute piece of mind.

But then I was reminded by the wife about the black smoke that even our car emitted while pulling hard and which was always evident in many other diesel cars on the road. I remembered even I absolutely hated when I had to breathe in that smoke for some reason. All the time I had Logan I was insulated by the AC while emitting the same thing I hated for myself.

The matter was not helped by the fact that there was no real strong diesel engine available in a 'modern' C-SUV in 2019 if my memory serves me right. Harrier was still away and compass too expensive for my budget. Seltos had the GDI Petrol which matched diesel's torque figures and far exceeded the Power putout. Apart from the fuel efficiency concerns, it was the better engine on paper.

Hence while being aware of potential issues with DCT, I took the plunge with the turbo petrol. As has been documented by many members, it is superb to drive, pulls cleanly with oodles of power when needed. At least on this front I have not missed the diesel. Fuel efficiency is digestible (12 in normal city traffic, 15 on highway).

I for one can say I am unlikely to ever return to diesels, especially with EVs in picture in near future.

Thanks for reading.
Logan2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

Diesel are known to for their low end torque and for being mile munchers. I currently drive two petrol cars, one frugal Suzuki k10 for city duties and 1.8L NA petrol for highways. I can't even imagine driving 1.8L guzzler daily so if I were to keep only a single car, I would naturally go with a diesel mid size car like Seltos/Creta which will keep me happy both in city/highways. I am aware of DPF related issues but then a single petrol car will not work for me(with high fuel prices).

I wish we had Camry like hybrid tech in mass segment cars like Ciaz/City/Creta as that would have ended the diesel market.

However people looking for city only usage or very low running might be just as happy with a petrol car.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:07   #78
BHPian

Both my cars bought first hand have been diesel. Chevy Beat Diesel in 2012 and Nexon diesel in 2018. Primary consideration was mileage as I tend to do 15K - 18K kms in a year . I have driven a fair share of petrols as well. Zen MPFI, Ford Figo and the City.

I will continue to consider diesel, but not go blindly for it. For hatch backs , small sedans and non bulky CSUVs petrol still makes sense unless the running is high or petrol is underpowered ( Eg WRV ).

For D Segment and above or bulky SUVs diesel will be my primary choice, unless the government comes with random rules like in Delhi. Exceptions do exist though. I will buy the BMW 330i vs the diesel option just for the drive. Or the Camry hybrid as other options don’t exist. Would not consider a petrol Innova or Fortuner for example.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:21   #79
BHPian

From Wikipedia

My observations:
Diesel has the most energy content compared to any fuel, per liter (11% more than petrol)
However, if you consider energy per weight, they are almost the same
Now, the thing that I don't understand is, why do we fail to convert all that enrgey from the petrol engine into mileage? (A 11 percent energy defecit per liter cannot explain a 50-60% mileage drop)
Another fun fact. 40 liters of diesel weights ~34Kgs and 40 liters of petrol weighs ~30Kgs
Attached Thumbnails
Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-screenshot-20210830-10.15.00.png  

vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

I am running a BS4 diesel at a lifetime FE 21.2 kpl. Please tell me which petrol is going to be this efficient? Even with months of pandemic lockdowns, am already past 60K for a Nov 2018 purchase. Its the diesel torque that even made a AT to MT transition easier as well. For high milers who have heavy highway usage, there is no choice today or 2-3 years in the horizon.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:33   #81
BHPian

I voted for "No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available"

The reason for it is straight forward - EV anywhere needs to be run using cleaner generation only then the 0 tail pipe emissions makes sense.

The diesel torque is addictive and fits the requirement of a highway cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 992TurboS View Post
My recent drive on Mumbai - Pune expressway resulted in the mileage of ~26kmpl!
How do you manage that ? The best I have got is 20.2 kmpl using the same machinery. Typical highway speeds hover around 100 ~ 105 (95% of the time) and the tyre pressure is around 34 ~ 35psi while on highway.

Any tips to get anything above 21 will be of great help.
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:38   #82
BHPian

I have driven diesels for well over a quarter million kms. They have oodles of torque especially when you need them in hills. Even the puny Isuzu 4FB1 engine 1.8 L produced 90 BHP and 240 nm torque. Easy on the pocket and evokes a smile every time you mount the hills overtaking struggling vehicles.

Some facts:

"Diesel is derived from petroleum like gasoline is. Its density is 850 gms/liter whilst the density of gasoline is about 15 % less at 720 gms/ liter. It also releases more energy than petrol. Compare this - Diesel puts out about 40.9 MJ (mega joules) per liter while petrol puts out about 34.8 MJ per liter. In other words the high energy density of diesel fuel is seen in 38685 BTU as against petrol's figure of 32895 BTU. As a result, diesel engines are far more fuel efficient than petrol engines. Not only that, they have far more torque available at a lower rpm than their gasoline engine counterparts."
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 10:47   #83
BHPian

Having gone through this thread, can't help but notice people have been swearing by their diesel engines which have been driven around for years. Clearly, diesels in pre-BS6 era had their own perks, while many diesel brands have shut down post implementation of BS6 (include biggies like Suzuki/VW) or have failed to provide a pleasant overall experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nsparency.html (Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparency). So an aspiring owner would have to weather trials and tribulations of a diesel engine in a world that is increasingly looking to weed out diesel engines. The insane torque on EVs is already providing a substitute for those who are used to performance of diesels. In the coming years, the petrol-diesel cost difference is likely to get cemented altogether, making the fuel efficiency argument rather weak- unless the monthly drives exceed 2k-2.5k kms. Of course, with heavier engines in the SUVs and commercial vehicles, diesel would continue to reign. However, in smaller vehicles, the sales might not favour continued sales and support from the manufacturers themselves.(e.g. Altroz petrol sales account for 90% of the units sold- in spite of diesel engine being a better alternative).

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 30th August 2021 at 10:48.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:09   #84
BHPian

Just a couple of days back i was tempted to consider Tata Tigor EV against my current ride Tiago Diesel which I bought in 2019, but then i said lets calculate and let the figures talk.

Calculation was based on EMIs that i would incur if i go for a EV at this point in time, apart from the fact that one needs to wait and then take a decision for a product newly launched especially by TATA, I speculated that the on road price of Tigor EV to be somewhere in 10+ range (we’ll come to soon).

So, current EMI is ~ 6.5k and because we have COVID around my monthly running has just been about ~400 odd kms & pre-covid it was 1100 (Q1 2020). If we resume regular work then my fuel bills would be ~ 6.8k considering diesel to be at 100/liter. Now if I go for EV then I wont have any fuel bills but my EMIs for EV would workout to be in the range of ~12.5k (which I’ll get if I go for EV today in Maharashtra as the government has introduced early bird subsidy of 1 lac till Dec 21 only thereafter the overall subsidy that I get would be ~1.5 lacs plus whatever RTO charges are if I am not wrong.)

So I thought lets continue using diesel for now till we have better options in the market for alternative engines like OEM cars and EV conversion kits like @Stuntfreak introduced a couple of days back. Down the line 5 years I can think of converting my car with EV conversion kit and spend in about 3 lacs on it. Here too I tend to gain cause right now the EV kits are being charged between 4-5 lacs.

So I’ll use diesels till the time they are available and later move to alternate engine option.
Old 30th August 2021, 11:11   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted that I will still buy Diesels till the time they are available!
Reasoning, Bs6 diesels are almost similar in pollution as compared to their petrol counterparts.
In real terms, the Fuel efficiency of diesels is miles ahead of their Petrol counterparts:
My Skoda Laura (diesel) still gives 19-20 Kmpl in spite of being 9.5 years old (now up for replacement). The same car in Turbo Petrol would give 8-10 kmpl.

My Jeep Compass also gives me 15.5 Kmpl in my regular office drives (100 km every day total) - the same car in Petrol would not give more than 8-9 kmpl.

So if your monthly driving distance is more than 1200 km, it would make sense for diesel. otherwise if it is lesser, petrols would be fine.

With today's new age diesel's the torque which comes in much sooner is more useful and tractable. With turbo petrol's (barring a few) the torque in more linear and only is exciting at higher revs.

For now we will stick with Diesel (the new car to replace our Laura is also a Diesel - will share soon when we get the delivery)
After 4 years, when our Jeep Compass becomes 8 years old, we will most likely replace it with an electric Car.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:27   #86
BHPian

I believe the original question posted by the thread starter is to get an idea whether the Govt will ban diesel or will implement the 10yr policy like Delhi in other places.

However, what I am seeing is people telling about the good torque, fuel efficiency of the diesel. This is not something relevant to be honest.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:08   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
From Wikipedia

My observations:
Diesel has the most energy content compared to any fuel, per liter (11% more than petrol)
However, if you consider energy per weight, they are almost the same
Now, the thing that I don't understand is, why do we fail to convert all that enrgey from the petrol engine into mileage? (A 11 percent energy defecit per liter cannot explain a 50-60% mileage drop)
Another fun fact. 40 liters of diesel weights ~34Kgs and 40 liters of petrol weighs ~30Kgs
Precise fuel injection
Because diesel is minutely directly sprayed into a cylinder, lesser fuel is used and since it has cetane (six-sided) rings in its makeup instead of octane (eight-sided hydrocarbon rings), diesel’s burning characteristics are better – it is more slow burning and complete burning, allowing for a longer burn time and better efficiency. This is also the reason why diesel engines don’t reach high rpm ranges. Now some new generation petrol engines are adopting similar technology like the Hyundai Sonata’s GDI (gasoline direct injection) petrol engine, which technically should give better mileage and torque.

Source - https://www.cartoq.com/why-diesel-ca...n-petrol-cars/
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 13:37   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
...Hence a 2.0 TDI (190HP) in Audi Q5 today returns 12kmpl whereas a 2.0TFSI with around 190HP returns 8kmpl.

Someone mentioned BMW 320d (190HP) returns 15kmpl on highway. No petrol car (with similar power) can ever match that, even close.

Diesel engines are costlier though due to common rail hardware though.
While diesel by design is more efficient than petrol, this is what I got while driving to Mysore on a 180hp 1.8 Octavia that does sub 8 sec 0-100 in it's stock form. This was 100% AC as well (as I can't drive with windows rolled down).

The diesel torque is highly addictive (had a remapped Ecosport TDCI pumping ~130 BHP) - But the sweet sound and refinement of a high revving petrol is equally compelling.
Attached Thumbnails
Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-octavia-highway-run.jpeg  

srvshaun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 13:52   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

Then again I'm a Diesel novice if not a car novice all together.

Regards,
A.P.
Irrespective of the fuel type, the difference in fuel efficiency will be very significant depending on driving style.

Case in point, my Kwid 1.0 has given me as low as 13 kmpl and as high as 26.4 kmpl

My storme varicor 400 has given me as low as 9.8 kmpl and as high as 18 kmpl.

There are certain engines like the fiat's 1.3 MJD and Ford's 1.5 TDCI which are efficient even when driven hard. My ciaz returned nothing less than 16 kmpl even if driven at serious triple.digit speeds all day.
Old 30th August 2021, 13:57   #90
BHPian

I see many people arguing that diesels are dirty and and they contribute to pollution, its not like petrols are clean. They're just cleaner WHEN COMPARED WITH diesels. The major chunk of pollution comes from industries. The total pollution coming from automobiles (mind you, that includes buses and trucks) is only 27%. The major pollution comes from Industries which have little to no disregard for the pollution laws. Moreover I think the percentage of transportation will decrease when the older cars are scrapped and newer ones are much more efficient. I truly love both petrol and diesel. My love for petrol started with the Ikon 1.6 nxt which I bought for 40k. I was so into petrol that I started hating diesel engines especially when I drove my dad's dzire because of that Turbo lag. But I bought a Micra Dci and that really changed me. Almost no Turbo lag, Mileage never gets below 17kmpl (I bought it pre loved with Odo reading 1.35lac km and is now @ 1.55 lac km). The car almost has nil problems. I think we should be looking at the bigger picture if we want to fight pollution, because the automobile industry is already on track with the Euro norms. It is the other industries that requires attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-img_20210830_135650.jpg  

Knighted06 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks