Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 21:22   #1
BHPian

Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

I was already literally concerned about the future of diesel ICE.
And today's announcement/news from the Indian Govt. has added fuel to the fire.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85647362.cms

1. Would you still buy a diesel car?
2. What lifestyle changes have you adopted for this permanent getaway from diesel's?
3. How long do you think the diesel ICE cars will continue to sell in India - Commercial and Personal segments?

I like diesel for these reasons - mile munchers, free-revving character, high torque, better mileage, can be driven for hours and days continuously. I am sure most of us do for the same mentioned reasons.
What do you have to say about all these factors no more available? (Eg - A turbo petrol with an aggressive/heavy right foot will become very thirsty. In fact, you will get into the single-digit mileage club.)

Please cast your vote. Your vote reveals the current and future market for diesel ICE.

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2021 at 08:06. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:02   #2
BHPian

re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

My family's first car was a Tata Indica DLS and our current car is the Toyota Etios Liva GD, both of them are Diesel cars.

The biggest selling point of Diesel cars (for me) are their mileage and great low end torque because at times I need to carry a lot of plants and other materials in my car, and thus having a Diesel engine helps out a lot.

Back to your question I would say its complicated, my Etios runs great and I would like to keep it as long as possible, thus for the foreseeable future I wont buy a new car and even if I do it will probably will be a Hybrid from Toyota. Torque form electric motor can take care of the grunt work and the mileage will also be great. As for how long diesel ICE cars will continue to sell in India no one knows what our govt. thinks at times thus no one can predict it.

Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-20201106_122316.jpg
Black_Star is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Needs to have another option: I will choose the more competent power train for my requirements.

Back in 2016 we had an entirely diesel garage as back then most turbo diesels were more fun than their petrol counterparts.
Today, with BS6 related additions like DPF; lower and shorter running, and the desire to start living cleaner, etc. half our garage is petrol and other half diesel; with the petrol relegated to the city and diesels more for longer trips.

Given our infrastructure, long road trips in India are just that much more convenient in a diesel with fewer fuel stops, less fussy about fuel quality, and maybe even cleaner due to the fuel economy.

But at the same time the petrols warm up quicker in the city, are more silent, and don't suffer from turbo lag in traffic unlike some turbo diesels (yes, I'm talking about you, S Cross 1.6).

Once EVs become more mainstream, with convenient charging stations and decent touring range : I can see them slowly taking over from where the diesels left off thanks to their instant torque and low fuel bills.

Last edited by lamborghini : 27th August 2021 at 23:20.
lamborghini is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
And today's announcement/news from the Indian Govt. has added fuel to the fire.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85647362.cms
Note, this isn't a statement from the govt. But a personal opinion/request from a man who happens to be a minister. His words have no weight until Govt decides to make it a law. Until that day comes, I will prefer my vehicle of choice - a torquey diesel!
ashis89 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

The fifth option in the poll needs some correction. The word petrolhead is a misnomer. AFAIK it means car enthusiast. It does not imply that one is a petrol engine lover.

By the way, I voted for option 2 - No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th August 2021 at 23:40.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:39   #6
BHPian

Diesel is a dinosaur that does not belong to the modern age. I know that I will be bashed left, right and center for this personal opinion of mine. But l seriously agree for once with what Mr.Gadkari requested all OEMs in India yesterday. There is a reason why Americans never fancied Diesel much and it was not just because of its tag of Dirty Fuel.
The sound of the Truck-ish Diesel engine is such a mood dampener. And thanks to VW, Diesel has lost a lot of support worldwide as a fuel for the future. Now keeping aside my rant...

The GOI is very clear in its stated aim of weaning away Indian consumers away from Fossil fuels. Diesel would definitely be the first one to perish, followed by Gasoline with CNG being the last probably. The GOI has been very clear in its aim of attacking Emission and Fuel Economy rather than safety. Safety has been given lip service in terms of brochure-able features without doing actually enough to improve overall road Safety by promoting seat belts or a stronger BIW. Considering this, definitely Diesel's medium and long term prospects are poor.
Carma2017 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 23:58   #7
BHPian

I will buy diesel cars as long as they are available. We have owned a Mahindra Marshal, a fiat linea, and currently we own an Altroz diesel. The torquey nature of diesel helps on hills and highways. Never really felt the connect with petrol cars. I don't mind the car being noisy, but I would definitely be turned off if the car struggles with a full load.
Benoit is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 00:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

BS6 norms make me rethink - I will not buy another (new) diesel again. I do not want to struggle with any DPF clogging issues or adblue.

For now, I will keep enjoying the torque! [~320Nm]

Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-psx_20180414_115549.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
There is a reason why Americans never fancied Diesel much and it was not just because of its tag of Dirty Fuel.
Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-emi2.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 28th August 2021 at 00:14.
clevermax is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 00:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

No diesels anymore for the majority of us up here in NCR. 10 years of usable lifespan is too less, unless the usage is extremely high and one is ok with next to 0 resale value.
Eddy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 02:08   #10
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Actually, buying a diesel in the next 5 years makes the most sense. Of course, this isn't applicable for someone who isn't into diesels for any specific reason.

While BS-6 has rung the death bell for many diesels, the upcoming BS-6 phase 2 emissions and the subsequent BS-7 emission which shall follow the Euro 7 emissions shall greatly limit the diesel choices in each respective segment.

The Euro 7 emissions will come into effect from 2025, so a 2028-2030 timeline for BS-7 should be reasonable thing to assume.

Now I am pretty sure that even 10 years down the line, there will still be diesel options, at least in the higher segments. But the choices will become very limited.

In fact this thread made me recall one of BHPian Ram87Pune's post from the XUV 7OO thread-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5089233 (Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs)

He has stated that Mahindra may not offer diesel engines with the next gen XUV 7OO. Now this may or may not happen for sure, but this definitely shows the mindset change with respect to diesel as a fuel.

Hence, for most of us, if not all, the next diesel we buy might be our final chance of ever owning a diesel, after which we may have to move to petrols and ultimately, EVs.

So to all my fellow diesel/torque lovers, it still makes sense to make peace with the BS-6 related gremlins in return for all that torque. It becomes easier though with a DEF equipped car.

Last edited by AYP : 28th August 2021 at 02:18.
AYP is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 02:09   #11
anb
BHPian

There is not much difference between the pollution levels of a BS6 petrol engine and a BS6 Diesel engine. I will definitely buy diesels in future for the efficiency and the low end torque. Petrol/ Diesel prices are 3 digits and even a small change in fuel efficiency results in considerable difference monthly fuel expenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-104f3469be9844fda977c048206df5e1.jpeg  

Last edited by anb : 28th August 2021 at 02:39.
anb is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 07:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Last night we had torrential rains in Bangalore, and heavy traffic snarls inside the City. My diesel car still showed 22KMPL. (Took a picture to share with the Nexon Whatsapp group). I easily get 24KMPL on highways. Such a performance has turned Diesel into an addiction. That, and the torque - have got me by my neck. So I'll continue to use the fuel/current car as long as I can. Somehow, I'm uncomfortable dealing with AdBlue, and have been reading about DEF clogs. So no new diesel car for me. I understand it's a dirty fuel, but like I said this is an 'addiction', and I shall use it for some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?-img_4345.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 07:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I chose a Getz 1.5 CRDi in 2009 for the monster inside. Never looked back, moved on to a Verna, again for that sweet 1.6 CRDi and am finally on a Thar mHawk AT.

Now, the mStallion in Thar is definitely a monster too, better than the mHawk. But, like all Turbo Petrols, cross 100 kmph in the petrol Thar, the DTE will drop disproportionately to the Tacho Have done about 14k KM in my Thar, and a full tank range has never been lower than 550 - 600 KM even when I'm on highway speeds. Absolutely no DEF related issues either <touchwood>.

I've extensively driven a Nexon EV, loved the power delivery - better than any Turbo Diesel. But the range is not comforting.

So here's where I stand - my love for Diesel is unchallenged, fuelled by torque and efficiency. And it's unfortunate that our MoRTH does not realise that after BS6, both Diesel and Petrol are equally polluting.

When we have a decent Hybrid that gives a 600 KM range, and of course is at least as powerful as the Nexon EV, I'll consider it.

Until then, my Thar will find a garage mate, a primary car if I may - and it'll be a Diesel.
ph03n!x is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 08:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

No diesels for me anymore. It’s not just about the 10 year NCR deadline but has a lot to do with fuel costs.

Last year, I bought a Jeep Compass as a replacement for my ageing diesel City, to go with my Hexa. The idea was to use it as a touring vehicle, my family is big and we need two cars. Diesel prices have jumped by 35% since. The cost calculation of taking two big diesels on a long driving holiday has turned on its head. Suddenly, flights seem so much more convenient and in many cases, actually cheaper. God knows how much fuel prices will rise more, it is endless.

As good as the Compass is, I can’t but think. Had I bought a petrol, I would have converted it to CNG and used it as my daily driver. Or I could have gone for the ZS EV and saved 3-4L every year on fuel costs. I see zero sense in buying a diesel anymore. The two fuels cost about the same now. Modern turbo petrols are only a little less efficient than modern turbo diesels but are a whole lot more fun. And for regular long distance usage, at these prices, it is better to fly or take the train. That’s a hard fact to admit for a driving enthusiast but it’s a fact nonetheless.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th August 2021 at 08:28.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 08:42   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Will buy turbo-diesels till as long as they are on sale (easily another 15 - 20 years). Reasons:

- BS6 makes me feel more comfortable about driving a diesel, from the environmental POV. The Indian government is poised to make the emission norms even stricter in 2 years.

- With some cars, diesel is simply the better engine option (Altroz, almost all big SUVs, Thar...).

- With some amazing cars, diesel is the only engine option (Endeavour, Carnival).

- With some cars, diesel is the more reliable option. E.g. Seltos Diesel AT (robust diesel, torque converter AT) vs Seltos Petrol DCT (complex petrol, dual-clutch AT).

- I love the torquey nature of big diesels (although new turbo-petrols are now there) and their sheer workhorse nature.

- I love the "have your cake and eat it too" nature of diesels. I can drive hard and still get respectable FE. Even if I drive my 530d hard on the highway, I come back home with 10 - 11 kmpl. In a 6-cylinder petrol, I've seen 3 - 5 kmpl. If I drive my 530d calmly on a Bombay-Goa drive, I get 15 kmpl. The best a 6-cylinder petrol would do here is 9 - 10 kmpl. In the city, my 530d gives me 7 kmpl. A 6-cylinder petrol would be like 4 - 5 kmpl.

- More than anything, there is indeed no replacement for displacement + 6 cylinders. I'm addicted to the creamy 6-cylinder 3.0L diesels of German cars. There are plenty of options (starting from the E-Class & 5-Series) with 6-cylinder diesels, but the 6-cylinder petrol options can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

- End of the day, when I'm buying a car, I'll buy whichever is the better engine option for that particular model, whether petrol or diesel or electric.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2021 at 08:46.
GTO is offline   (76) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks