Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 07:59   #166
BHPian

re: 2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh

There were members saying that the Maruti was focussing on "Better" safety than previous Baleno in the new model. So maybe they swapped the CVT with the AMT to offset cost. Combine that with the average buyer who has just want "an automatic car", they might have figured it they'll be able to save cost and weight by doing this
Old 10th February 2022, 10:46   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

New Teaser!

Quote:
Prepare your senses for an immersive sound experience like never before.
Can you guess what the next new tech is?

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th February 2022 at 10:48.
Old 10th February 2022, 11:27   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Teaser!
Speakers by either Bose or Harman and such?

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2022 at 20:53.
Old 10th February 2022, 12:31   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Maruti Suzuki Baleno facelift to get 360-degree camera, Alexa and more.

While Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are already available in the present Baleno, he new version will offer wireless support for both platforms.

Quote:
The car is also expected to feature Suzuki Connect as a standard offering on higher variants, translating into better and easier connectivity for buyers.

The list of new features, however, doesn't end here and the new Baleno is expected to get a few more features which could be revealed closer to the launch.

On the pricing front, the new Maruti Suzuki Baleno facelift will get costlier but expect it to still undercut the i20 prices

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th February 2022 at 12:36.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 13:42   #170
BHPian

There are many posts questioning or rather bashing Maruti's choice to switch to AMT from CVT.

The 1.2L K series mated to the AMT should not be that bad a combo IMHO. The official reviews of the current gen Dzire, Swift, WagonR & Ignis and even some ownership reviews of these cars have mentions about the larger K12 engine masking the shortcomings of AMT, such as jerky shifts & head bob, to a large extent. And Maruti has tasted a success with this configuration.

Also, the AMT is far more fuel efficient vis a vis CVT. Dzire AMT delivers a staggering 24.12 km/l(ARAI), against Baleno CVT's 19.56 km/l(ARAI) on the same engine with approximately same kerb weight. With the current fuel prices, these figures matter for the target customers. So yes, from the sales POV, this move should benefit Maruti.

That being said, even I would prefer the CVT or even the age old Aisin TC unit offered in Maruti over the AMT any day. Having driven a friend's Dzire AMT and Ignis AMT numerous times, I can say that the Maruti AMTs mated to the K12 engine are not that bad to drive as mentioned in some posts.

Maruti should have retained the CVT in Baleno, may be as an option, for two reasons.
1. Differentiating factor from the Swift
2. The Korean competitor provides DCT in i20

It is rather disappointing to see proper automatics disappearing from the hatchback segment. The Grand i10 Nios switched to AMT long ago while the Figo TC came and went like a whirlwind. The Jazz has a minuscule share and the current gen Polo is in EOL phase. And now even Maruti drops off the CVT (almost).
shubham7799 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 20:37   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham7799 View Post
There are many posts questioning or rather bashing Maruti's choice to switch to AMT from CVT.
Yeah, I wont care much about the CVT in Baleno going away, that unit in Baleno had the most prominent of the rubber band effects we see in CVT. Try flooring it at 40kmph and see it for yourself

Again, I ain't in favor of AMT either, the 6 speed TC would have been the ideal thing for Maruti to do in this segment.

Long story short, I wont really miss the existing CVT unit in Baleno. Also, given opinions are subjective, it would help if anyone who has experienced CVT unit in Baleno could comment on its rubber band effect with respect to CVTs from other manufacturers, as I personally found it to be really bad. It may just so happen that the AMT unit may turn out to be better than the lackluster CVT unit we have currently.

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2022 at 20:54. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
bimmer1988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:05   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1988 View Post
Yeah, I wont care much about the CVT in Baleno going away, that unit in Baleno had the most prominent of the rubber band effects we see in CVT. Try flooring it at 40kmph and see it for yourself

Long story short, I wont really miss the existing CVT unit in Baleno. It may just so happen that the AMT unit may turn out to be better than the lackluster CVT unit we have currently.
I completely agree. I remember sometime in 2019, my then boss ordered for a TD of the Baleno CVT at our office. While he drove the car, I sat in the rear and even from that position, I could clearly feel the rubber-band effect of the CVT. It was so pronounced that I wondered how were folks accepting this (though I understand one learns to adapt).
Anyway, once my boss finished his circuit, he offered me to try it as well, I declined, stating the rear seat experience was enough, I didn't need more of this.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:09   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

New Maruti Suzuki Baleno to be high on equipment.

Launch on February 23

The infotainment system, for instance, will be a free-standing 9.0-inch unit with a completely new user interface that has been jointly developed with Toyota.

Maruti will also bundle in connected car tech, which will feature greater functionality than the current Suzuki Connect dongle that the company offers. It will also come with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, wireless phone charging and will also be compatible with Alexa voice commands.

Maruti Suzuki has also confirmed that the new Baleno will get a customisable heads-up display – a first-in-segment feature. It will display details such as speed, climate control, real-time fuel efficiency, time and rev counter. The new Baleno will also come with a 360-degree camera, which is yet another segment first feature, giving it an edge over the i20.

Quote:
Baleno will still miss out on a digital instrument cluster. It will, however, get a new flat-bottom steering from the Swift, and Maruti Suzuki can also be expected to add cruise control, six airbags and ESP on top models.
Quote:
Maruti will likely use a thicker grade of steel for the outer panels and some parts of the chassis
Quote:
engine line-up will be updated to help the company meet the more stringent CAFE 2 (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) emission norms that are set to kick in by April.
Quote:
expect the new Baleno to come with a slight mark-up and be priced at about Rs 6.50-10.50 lakh (estimated, ex-showroom).
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th February 2022 at 09:14.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:02   #174
Senior - BHPian

The New Baleno comes with the 22.86cm SmartPlay Pro+ equipped with Surround Sense powered by ARKAMYS.

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-smartselect_20220211100059_twitter.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-smartselect_20220211100106_twitter.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 11th February 2022 at 10:13.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 16:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Apparently, the new Baleno is based on a slightly stiffer iteration of the Heartect platform which could offer better build quality and safety.
Not sure if that's from the company itself but if when insiders start using the words "slightly" and "could offer" in their language, you know it's worrying!

This sounds like the equivalent of studying to "just pass" the test.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 18:29   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Not sure if that's from the company itself but if when insiders start using the words "slightly" and "could offer" in their language, you know it's worrying!

This sounds like the equivalent of studying to "just pass" the test.
The Heartech platform when launched was reported by Maruti as 10 % more stiffer than at the time Swift platform. There are different ways in which different marketing people would use the terminologies to their branding.

Build is not just sheet metal, it is the quality of components, how well they are screwed, the engineering in the overall design, the weld quality, rubber quality, linings, bushings, the suspension feel and more, etc
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 18:31   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more clear pics of the Updated Baleno:

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-2022marutibalenobookings.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-newbaleno5.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-newbaleno7.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-newbaleno2.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-newbaleno3.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-newbaleno4.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 18:42   #178
BHPian

As is the trend with Maruti Suzuki (the Gymny and the "SUV" S-cross shenanigans), I'm not too much hyped up about this new (?) Baleno. Sure they're throwing in new features, new infotainment unit, HUD and such features. Unless they revamp those dreadful interiors, significantly improve build quality (read - sheet metal thick enough so as it doesn't bend when people lean onto it ), it'll just be another case of selling old wine in a new bottle ! Hope they don't downgrade from CVT gearbox to an AMT gearbox ! Improved structural strength and additional airbags surely will pull the i20, Altroz customers towards this Baleno.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th February 2022 at 20:51. Reason: As requested
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:27   #179
BHPian

Just made a 11K booking for the new Baleno. Dealer (Kalyani, JP Nagar, Bangalore) says they already have some 100+ bookings on hand. Given the older 4-speed AT was not such a great package, the proposed AMT might deserve a look.

Now, if only Altroz had an proper AT or even an AMT.
Old 11th February 2022, 21:50   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarthenormal View Post
Just made a 11K booking for the new Baleno. Dealer (Kalyani, JP Nagar, Bangalore) says they already have some 100+ bookings on hand. Given the older 4-speed AT was not such a great package, the proposed AMT might deserve a look.

Now, if only Altroz had an proper AT or even an AMT.
The previous unit was a CVT, not 4 speed AT But yes, it was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
As is the trend with Maruti Suzuki (the Gymny and the "SUV" S-cross shenanigans), I'm not too much hyped up about this new (?) Baleno. Sure they're throwing in new features, new infotainment unit, HUD and such features. Unless they revamp those dreadful interiors, significantly improve build quality (read - sheet metal thick enough so as it doesn't bend when people lean onto it ), it'll just be another case of selling old wine in a new bottle ! Hope they don't downgrade from CVT gearbox to an AMT gearbox ! Improved structural strength and additional airbags surely will pull the i20, Altroz customers towards this Baleno.
Not all CVTs are created equal. I have test driven the CVT in Baleno and trust me my friend, you don't want that transmission. I don't know if AMT will be any better, but at this point I will give it the benefit of doubt.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2022 at 08:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged
bimmer1988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks