Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:22   #391
BHPian

re: 2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh

I really don't understand why people are calling it a facelift, when the whole car has changed. Facelifts are only when a manufacturer follows what the word Facelift actually means.
This in my opinion is a complete new vehicle.

Also this will finish the competition hands down.
abh411 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 21:24   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is how a launch should be. Unveil, Price Reveal and Deliveries on the same day and media drive to follow
Agree, but there is a catch here based on my personal experience of booking the Ertiga and S-presso on a day or two after launch, the first deliveries are for those who have had booked the vehicle long back, once the initial batches are delivered, the waiting period rises exponentially and quickly in a few days for hot cars like these.

We booked both cars and did not get a test drive of the Ertiga at all, for S-Presso I had to wait for a week or two. Not that I regretted buying any of them, but there will be some people who will want to cancel the booking after initial reviews are out. There are cancelling charges of around 5k for the 11k INR that you pay at the time of booking. So people who really want to have a test drive and then book the car have to wait for a longer time to get the deliveries as they tend to lose out on early-bird booking. Of-course, this happens only during the initial month or two for a completely new model as test drive cars are bought in full cash by many buyers

Last edited by NiInJa : 23rd February 2022 at 21:25.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:32   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
Regarding the CVT vs AMT discourse, mine's a CVT and I am very happy with the tranny. It's butter smooth, no jerking or anything and perfectly well suited for city usage. It might be rubber band effect's poster child, but other CVTs in the market aren't that far ahead. Why the hate for CVTs is beyond me, they are really good at what they are meant for, a smooth driving experience. I follow a simple rule with the gas pedal: Use it, don't abuse it; and the CVT will keep you happy.

Really impressed with Maruti focus on Safety this time around, felt beholden to TATA for all their taunts , I hope it performs better in crash tests too else the mocking won't stop.
Absolutely hit the nail on the head. I too have a Baleno CVT and I have over the past 3 -4 months done multiple trips between Bangalore and Hyderabad. Never once did I feel the rubber band effect, perhaps I was using the gas pedal instead of abusing it like Motoblip mentions and I was very happy with the trips (average mileage was about 20 with A/C on).
That being said, my dad has an Ignis with the AMT and while I have felt the head nod while driving it, I don't think the negative posts for the Baleno AMT is warranted. Considering the price and features the new Baleno provides, it definitely will set the charts on fire. And I am glad that maruti is finally upping the ante as far as safety is considered (even if it is only with the additional air bags).
joserajesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:53   #394
BHPian

This is what competition does to the market. The consumer will get to reap the benefits.

With Kia/Hyundai and (now) Tata loading their products to the brim with features, Maruti had to wake up from it's deep slumber and boy, did they deliver!

With MS firing on all cylinders, Hyundai should be worried about the i20. With the launch of the new Baleno, Altroz will take the brunt to some extent, however, I believe the i20 will be the most affected in the segment. If the market leader sets the benchmark high, competitors would obviously follow suit. Exciting times ahead for the consumers.
furyrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 23:36   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is how a launch should be. Unveil, Price Reveal and Deliveries on the same day and media drive to follow
Couldn’t agree more. Thinking about the yet to be announced price for Slavia, engine wise on different dates, I be like

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
This is what competition does to the market. The consumer will get to reap the benefits.
Exactly. Thanks to TML and M&M for making safety of utmost priority and Hyundai/Kia for offering loads of segment first features. Glad to see this resulting in other Manufacturers taking a note of and implementing and delivering.
techmotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 02:33   #396
BHPian

My thoughts on some new tech on the new Baleno

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-baleno-intro.png

The Baleno has always been a great package with a host of useful features, a smooth engine and gearbox, plenty of legroom at the rear, but a car that clearly felt it was too lightly built. I have seen Balenos and Glanzas belonging to family friends with their doors so badly ding-donged that it always seemed as if the car were fresh out of a bad incident.

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-baleno-dash.png

It's nice to see a host of new features and changes made by Maruti Suzuki to make this a safer car. Like I said before, the Baleno was always well-kitted, but now it is even more modern and relevant in 2022 with a host of changes to the interiors, exteriors, comfort and convenience features within the cabin. My reply to this thread is about some features I wish they had added and it isn't with the intention of demeaning the good set of features already available on the Baleno like the UV Cut Glasses, Tilt-Telescopic Steering etc. It's intriguing to see how much technologies and gadgetries companies are trying to pack into their vehicles these days, but I can't help but notice how some features are still an unnecessary cost to the average consumer, which could have been made optional. It perhaps signifies that the chip shortage is coming to an end. I'd happily trade quite a lot of these for some more useful features, but thought I'd share my view.

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-baleno-hud.png

There is now a Head-Up-Display on offer, but did this car really need a Head-Up-Display? From the press images, it only seems to show the Tachometer, Speed, AC Functions, Odometer, Time and the present gear.

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-hud-modes.png

Why could it not have included an integration with the navigation unit which would have been a real useful addition to have? I have seen quite a lot of car companies here in US like Honda, Subaru, Toyota integrate Android Auto and CarPlay navigation guidance to their simple instrument clusters, and it really helps with keeping focus on the road. Attaching a picture from a Honda Civic, where it relays info from a phone connected to Android Auto. If this could be done on the Baleno with a software update, it'd be a fantastic touch.

Name:  Honda Civic NAV.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  52.2 KB

Looking at the liberal blanks on the steering wheel button sets, I feel they could have made some changes to prevent the eye-sore. There's blanks below the Cruise Control button set and also a single blank below the button set on the left.

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-cruise-control-blanks.png

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-mfd-baleno.png

The steering could have had buttons to control the vibrant Multifunction Display in the Instrument Cluster to get rid of black sticks which seem a little dated now considering how deep and functional the Multi-Functional Display on the Baleno is.

Safety

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-safety-description.png

Maruti Suzuki seems to have added a lot of useful safety features like 6 Airbags, ESP, Hill Hold Assist, Seat Belt Reminders for both front occupants but I don't like how some MT variants get step-motherly treatment in the Safety department with respect to features like ESP and Hill Hold, which could have been super helpful to new drivers.

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-baleno-safety.png
2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-antipinch.png

Considering how safety is an important part of this new upgrade, wonder why they still give only the driver door an Anti-Pinch window. Don't kids end up sitting in the backseats and are equally susceptible to a potential finger pinching scare there?

I personally feel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is something which could have been offered on this car, at least in the form of a Flat Tyre Indicator, to make this an even safer car. I'd love to have TPMS over the 360 Camera or the Head-Up-Display feature, as it'd make me feel safer if I was warned about a pressure loss. Direct TPMS would have been fantastic, like the Hyundai i20 or even a Flat Tyre warning could have been a great addition.

Drivetrain And Other Bits

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-baleno-upgrades.png

Maruti claims to have made improvements to the suspension and even has bigger discs for improving braking. The K12 is a nice and reliable engine and it's only been getting better with the years. Our 2012 Swift Dzire came with a 4 Speed Torque Converter gearbox and it boasted of one of the finest shift qualities in a sub-8L car. I have driven the Maruti AGS quite a few times and never liked what they offered with the Celerio, because it was just too noticeable and annoying for someone like me, who has always loved driving a DSG and smoother torque converters which were on offer in the Hyundai i10. The AGS noticeable got better, more seamless and faster on the Swift, but it was still just no match for a proper torque converter. So, I'll sorely miss the butter-smooth CVT which was perfect for driving around town. Sure, it had a rubber band effect and wasn't the fastest car on the highway, but this transition in my opinion is perhaps one of the biggest setbacks to what is now such a desirable car. I read a few remarks about how we shouldn't diss this new gearbox without driving it, and I fully agree, but I didn't spare the DSG to Torque Converter downgrade on our Polo TSI and called it out for feeling jerky lower down (especially when stressed and pushed hard), so I don't think the CVT to AGS transition is anything to write home about.

We missed out on owning a Baleno CVT back in 2017 since it was just too light and it was never in contention again for our needs in 2020 when we brought home a Polo. Please correct me if I have wrongly critiqued a new feature and how it works on this car. I really hope Maruti introduces a 5-6 Speed proper torque converter somewhere down the line again, but yeah, words fall short to express how fuss-free and simple it is to own a Maruti Suzuki.
fluidicjoy is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 06:57   #397
BANNED

Re: My thoughts on some new tech on the new Baleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
...I can't help but notice how some features are still an unnecessary cost to the average consumer, which could have been made optional.
I guess you can buy one of the remaining stocks of the old Baleno and save the "cost".

(Note that the new Baleno Dualjet is actually cheaper than the old Dualjet models. Seems like the Dualjet versions of the old Baleno was priced very high and was not selling in big numbers. Maruti did the right move by making this more powerful engine as a standard offering in their premium hatch and reduced the price considerably.)

I am also against too much gadgetries in the cars, but this Baleno sits in the premium range of hatchbacks in the Maruti lineup, so it should offer something extra. Otherwise, it will be just a bigger Alto.

For me, a car whose basics are right, is the right car. A good platform, engine, gearbox combination, safe and tough-built, fuel efficient, and fuss free ownership and service experience. Add some basic but necessary features like self-centering steering, "driver-operatable ORVMs, fuel lid, boot lid and 4 power windows", instant FE display, decent boot space, a mobile holder (who offers that now?!), 360 degree camera, 6 airbags etc. Add nice looks to the list and I am happy.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th February 2022 at 07:24.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 08:22   #398
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Maruti Suzuki Baleno spied; Launched at Rs. 6.35 Lakh

As with everything in this country nowadays, it looks like the camp is firmly divided on the choice of AT by Maruti here.

Some dig the AMT, clearly for its lower landing cost & higher FE.

Others won't touch the AMT over a proper AT - be it TC, CVT or a DCT. People are okay to sacrifice some FE and a bit of EMI for that added smoothness and performance.

I am firmly in the latter camp. I am saying this as we owned an Ignis Zeta AMT for close to 2 years. And that is one of the better integrations they say!

The head nod can be managed! All you need to do is listen a bit to the engine and play with that A pedal. So, its definitely not as free as driving a proper AT. But what got me were the upshifts, especially the extreme clunkiness while shifting from 1st to 2nd which makes you think the car broke something every time it happened. DSG too does it at times, but not as frequent.

We bought the car new and that clunkiness and judder increased as the miles went by. And that is expected as there is clutch pack just like MT in the AMT and it can take only so much! So, a clutch overhaul is warranted more frequently if your daily routine is tough. Meaning many b2b traffic situations with a lot of stop & go and some inclines and speed breakers. Essentially a lot of shifts with the initial gears. So, is AMT really that good for the pocket too at the expense of performance and smoothness?? I don't think so!

I would pick a hassle free and maintenance free TC or CVT any day. And CVT needs a peculiar way of driving too, be linear on the A pedal and it can out accelerate most cars in the city. AMT belongs to a race car, where its traits are more welcome. But give it to a car with a small weak engine to ply in a congested city and that's a lot of compromise.

So, no matter what Maruti adds to the Baleno, with that AMT, it will always be 2 steps back for me. And I will buy another Ignis for sure if they got the CVT in it, it is just about the perfect city car and I love its design too. But that CVT is long gone I guess. Another day and another blow to the car enthusiasts over here!
deetjohn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 08:28   #399
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh

After all is said and done there is a remarkable lack of comments on the build quality which is after all a major put off in the existing car. Almost all are praising the gadgets and calling the new model 'a winner', which I am sure it will be but avoiding the elephant in the room. Most of us will be very happy if baleno manages a 4 star, but I have my doubts. Of course the 6 airbags will help, but that paper like body will only keep me awake at night.
HONESTabdul is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 09:01   #400
BHPian

Re: My thoughts on some new tech on the new Baleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I guess you can buy one of the remaining stocks of the old Baleno and save the "cost".

I am also against too much gadgetries in the cars, but this Baleno sits in the premium range of hatchbacks in the Maruti lineup, so it should offer something extra. Otherwise, it will be just a bigger Alto.

For me, a car whose basics are right, is the right car. A good platform, engine, gearbox combination, safe and tough-built, fuel efficient, and fuss free ownership and service experience. Add some basic but necessary features like self-centering steering, "driver-operatable ORVMs, fuel lid, boot lid and 4 power windows", instant FE display, decent boot space, a mobile holder (who offers that now?!), 360 degree camera, 6 airbags etc. Add nice looks to the list and I am happy.
I don't think we'd be shopping for a small budget hatchback anytime soon since we just got the Polo. I'm all in favour of plenty of features provided they are useful, beneficial to safety and well integrated. The Baleno has always been well kitted, but I feel they could have been exemplary.

I understand it might be exciting to see a Head-Up-Display and a 360 Camera in a sub-10L car, but these have not proven to be a must have even in luxury cars. Even a premium car meant to cater to a more premium audience with a good feature set could always be dearer and lighter to the wallet and that's what I was referring to by an optional cost for added gadgetries. I just wanted to share some small improvements to the finesse of the Baleno, but I fully agree that a Boot and Fuel Lid are very much an important must have as you said

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 24th February 2022 at 09:02.
fluidicjoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 09:37   #401
KPR
BANNED

Many Indians want this car and upcoming VB of MS to score 4+ in safety rating. I had switched my loyalty from MS to Fiat (Punto) in 2015 owing to build quality and safety as I drive a lot in highways. Can this new Baleno or new VB be the Ghar Wapasi moment for me? I'm satisfied with Fiat, its car and service here in my place. I will put my money in one of these Japanese for sure. MS please send a car for test and declare safety rating result. It means a lot to us.

Last edited by KPR : 24th February 2022 at 09:49.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 09:40   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd26 View Post
Suzuki's AMTs are actually pretty good, much better than most AMTs in the market. With each generation, Suzuki massively improves the AMTs.
MS has really given a good go at refreshing the ageing Baleno. This should boost the sales and put MS back in the lead. Will interesting few months with the competition really heating up in the 8-10 lakh segment. Whose sales will the Boleno eat up?

This may seem like a rant or OT, but I have serious concerns about long term reliability of AMT's. Say after 70k kms or more.

This car at this price bracket or similarly priced cars in the market by other manufacturers should really address the long term reliability. This has the potential to kill the sales in the used car market. I would not consider a new AMT car as of now, forget a used one.

Last edited by Mafia : 24th February 2022 at 09:41.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 09:45   #403
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
This may seem like a rant or OT, but I have serious concerns about long term reliability of AMT's. Say after 70k kms or more.
There's a thread on troublefree AMT in Alto K10 by our own member in this ownership thread of 90k kms and almost 7 years. I don't see a problem in AMT in any of MS cars.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5253543 (My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update)
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 11:16   #404
BHPian

Just wanted to add few points regarding Build Quality and gearbox that I would like to add.
  • Many people are criticizing the AMT gearbox as it is not smooth as a proper autobox. But they should realise that they can compare because they have driven other autoboxes. Most of the buyers out there in this segment might be getting their first automatic car in the Baleno and they will not have anything to compare it with. My friend owns a Triber AMT, and a Nexon AMT and he is blissfully unaware of headnods, shift quality etc. He finds it very good and so do most buyers out there.
  • There is a difference between "perceived" safety and "actual" safety. We perceive better safety by "thud" sound of door closing, lesser prone to dings, airbags, etc. I am not sure how Maruti is addressing the actual safety, but by adding airbags and slightly stiffer sheet metal, they are improving the perceived safety of the vehicle and this in turn will pull out some buyers from Tata/VW and bring them to Maruti.
  • The people who compare Baleno with other vehicles and find others of better value go and buy those. But looking at the sales, those people are fewer in number and going by this new Baleno, those numbers would stay the same in the coming years.
puneetakhouri is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 11:37   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
There's a thread on troublefree AMT in Alto K10 by our own member in this ownership thread of 90k kms and almost 7 years. I don't see a problem in AMT in any of MS cars.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5253543 (My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update)
There is a thread (Maruti's AMT woes) with quite a few cars having AMT trouble on TeamBHP itself, which I've linked here. I'm sure there'd be quite a few car owners with AMT trouble who are not even on TeamBHP. In my extended circles, my uncle had a very premature clutch replacement in his Celerio, while he has never had to change a manual transmission clutch in his other Maruti cars in the same period or longer running interval.

I feel one car having no AMT trouble does not cite adequate confidence about the reliability of an AMT technology. Maruti Suzuki is definitely a reliable car maker and having an AMT car by Maruti would also no doubt have its perks when it comes to service and long-term support. I believe the sentiment regarding the AMT is more about the shift quality, and how it was definitely a lot smoother on the CVT. That being said, I like how AMTs are cheaper to manufacturer and hopefully it will get even better with time as a technology, as has been the trend.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 24th February 2022 at 11:38.
fluidicjoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks