Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 11:39   #406

Re: 2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh

I drove a Baleno Alpha MT for 4 years. The suspension was stiff and the rear seat was a bench sans comfort. I hear that the suspension is completely new. What about the rear seat comfort ?
And of course, the motor lacked punch, though peppy...
shivaru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 11:40   #407
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Maruti Suzuki Baleno spied; Launched at Rs. 6.35 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
pick a hassle free and maintenance free TC or CVT ............So, no matter what Maruti adds to the Baleno, with that AMT, it will always be 2 steps back for me. And I will buy another Ignis for sure if they got the CVT in it, it is just about the perfect city car and I love its design too. But that CVT is long gone I guess. Another day and another blow to the car enthusiasts over here!
You are spot on and I am with you.
I had travelled in Baleno in the initial days of it with the CVT and that I would pick any day over one with the AMT.
Maruti may be focusing on keeping costs low.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th February 2022 at 11:45.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 11:43   #408
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents on the AMT issue discussion:

Most of the issues are reported on the 1.0L engine, not the more powerful 1.2L one which is used in the Baleno, Swift, Ignis etc.
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 11:53   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
There is a thread (Maruti's AMT woes) with quite a few cars having AMT trouble on TeamBHP itself, which I've linked here. I'm sure there'd be quite a few car owners with AMT trouble who are not even on TeamBHP. In my extended circles, my uncle had a very premature clutch replacement in his Celerio, while he has never had to change a manual transmission clutch in his other Maruti cars in the same period or longer running interval.
There is a difference between having issues with AMT v/s having reliability concerns. As such, the AMT box is reliable - which means it wont let you stranded somewhere when you dont expect it to. But with the K10 engine, especially the ones which see lot of grinding in dense traffic, clutch judder would definitely be felt in the longrun. But with the K12 with a bigger clutch, which is now again upgraded for the Baleno, it would be further improved. Hence, you cannot call the AMT box unreliable or prone to failure.

The clutch change costs 5k rupees and in my car I got it done recently after the previous clutch lasted for 30k kms before developing judder. But that wasnt a failure either. The clutch plate itself has been upgraded over time. So while I have had issues with the AMT, these were just related to the clutch judder while the rest of the experience has been excellent. Even if you factor three clutch replacements for a driving distance of 1L kms, thats 15k of expenses compared to plonking a premium for the CVT and sacrificing performance.

In that way, it is a good move to ditch the CVT. I am sure it wont be a letdown especially having driven the Swift AMT both in Diesel and Petrol avatar. With the change to hydraulic clutch, that would have addressed the jerkiness as well.
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 12:06   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There is a difference between having issues with AMT v/s having reliability concerns. As such, the AMT box is reliable - which means it wont let you stranded somewhere when you dont expect it to. But with the K10 engine, especially the ones which see lot of grinding in dense traffic, clutch judder would definitely be felt in the longrun. But with the K12 with a bigger clutch, which is now again upgraded for the Baleno, it would be further improved. Hence, you cannot call the AMT box unreliable or prone to failure.

The clutch change costs 5k rupees and in my car I got it done recently after the previous clutch lasted for 30k kms before developing judder. But that wasnt a failure either. The clutch plate itself has been upgraded over time. So while I have had issues with the AMT, these were just related to the clutch judder while the rest of the experience has been excellent. Even if you factor three clutch replacements for a driving distance of 1L kms, thats 15k of expenses compared to plonking a premium for the CVT and sacrificing performance.

In that way, it is a good move to ditch the CVT. I am sure it wont be a letdown especially having driven the Swift AMT both in Diesel and Petrol avatar. With the change to hydraulic clutch, that would have addressed the jerkiness as well.
Nowhere am I referring to the AMT as an unreliable gearbox, but I was simply referring to a TeamBHP thread to point out that one long fuss-free ownership for one individual does not naturally translate to the product being fuss-free for every other individual. Agreed that the clutch replacement might be pocket-friendly, but I have a genuine doubt. If the AMT were such a refined technology, why would the car need 3 clutch pack changes to begin with, when experienced drivers with manual gearboxes manage to take care of their clutches for quite a long time? I believe the AMT shift control unit could get even better to take care of the car so it shifts better and maximises part life from the clutches.

I personally am not a fan of the CVT, and my most recent experience with a Swift Dzire was when it had a lag-free smooth 4-speed torque converter. Since we had the car for over 9 years, I'd say, the shift quality, comfort and convenience was worth the premium to me. Again, to each one their own.

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 24th February 2022 at 12:23.
fluidicjoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 12:42   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaru View Post
I drove a Baleno Alpha MT for 4 years. The suspension was stiff and the rear seat was a bench sans comfort. I hear that the suspension is completely new. What about the rear seat comfort ?
And of course, the motor lacked punch, though peppy...
I believe the stiffness might be due to the tyre pressure. When I purchased the Baleno, I found the suspension to be crazy stiff, only to discover that the air pressure in all tyres was 43. Maruti never corrects tyre pressure during pdi.

Interesting observation with the rear seat comfort because they definitely look better than the outgoing model (which I own and absolutely loathe the rear seats).
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 13:47   #412
Senior - BHPian

If the AMT in the Celerio is anything to go by I assume we can safely expect the same or an even more improved shift quality in the Baleno. AMTs have come a long way since their initial days.

Obviously they aren't for the enthusiasts. For that matter I don't think any AT other than a TC or a DSG will come close to meeting an enthusiasts expectation.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 14:36   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
There's a thread on troublefree AMT in Alto K10 by our own member in this ownership thread of 90k kms and almost 7 years. I don't see a problem in AMT in any of MS cars.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5253543 (My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update)
I would disagree. Maruti AMTs have not really had a very good track record in the long term. There are tons of issues with them. It was just today that this thread went live-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...00-rupees.html (Maruti WagonR AMT Failure | Repair cost of 83,000 rupees)

Besides this too we have a 27 page thread on this forum documenting various reported AMT failures on Marutis-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-amt-woes.html (Maruti's AMT woes)

Infact, a quick Google search also throws these results which definitely point out to the AMT technology not being super reliable. And this isn't just maruti but most other brands who use it too-

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...m+AMT+problems

Last edited by porsche_guy : 24th February 2022 at 14:39.
porsche_guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 15:48   #414
KPR
BANNED

Most buyers can live with MS - AMT not knowing much in detail about the negatives of it. New Baleno is a make or break for MS. A market leader like MS won't break by switching over from CVT to AMT in their new variant if it is prone for such failures. For the number of AMT cars of MS that are sold, there may be some drawbacks like shudders but cases of failure of entire GB is rare.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 16:27   #415
BHPian

I for one, really love what they have done to the looks with those sharper lines on the car. But I really wish they had retained the CVT. If they are going up against the likes of the i20, a CVT or AT would have made a real difference for those preferring an automatic. Maybe this was done to keep the price sub 10lac.
Vegitocat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 16:38   #416
BHPian

I am sure some of the members here would have already been to showroom and would have even test driven the car, would be great to know what they have to say about it.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 16:48   #417
Senior - BHPian

I sold my Ignis Alpha AMT after around one year of ownership only because of the AMT, loved the car otherwise. It’s the most irritating transmission around, I’d rather walk I will never, ever buy an AMT transmission car again. It’s a step back for Maruti to move from a CVT to an AMT for the Baleno.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 16:53   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I sold my Ignis Alpha AMT after around one year of ownership only because of the AMT, loved the car otherwise. It’s the most irritating transmission around, I’d rather walk I will never, ever buy an AMT transmission car again. It’s a step back for Maruti to move from a CVT to an AMT for the Baleno.

Cheers
Was that your first experience with AMT? Also which car did you replace the Ignis with?
Old 24th February 2022, 17:45   #419
BHPian

I am sorry but since there have been more improvements in AMT since Ignis. In fact the Celerio AMT is much more refined than Ignis. So, Ignis is not the best reference point. I would agree however that a CVT cannot be compared with AMT. I drive CVT vehicle here in Japan and have learnt to tolerate it. A true 6AT cannot be compared against with a CVT. So, it's all compatitive and a matter of perspective.

I think CVT would come only in the S Cross Segment and above in Suzuki line up in India. The 6AT that is going to debut in next Brezza, Ertiga and XL6 would be the AT set up likely for all vehicles in the SUV segment below S-Cross.
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 18:01   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

New Baleno at Nexa showroom and in dealer stock yard. All variants seem to be available !

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-4.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-3.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-1.jpg

2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th February 2022 at 18:20.
volkman10 is offline   (23) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed