Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2007, 20:03   #91
BHPian

I find it funny ... Why do we hammer Honda for charging a premium ??? It's the people who flock to showrooms to buy cars isn't it ??? It's business afterall ... This is our product , this is our price ... that's the door ... and oh .. that's a maruti showroom ... The choice is yours afterall ... SX4 seems to have VFM all over it ... but it's hardly going to kill off the city ... It would be interesting to see Fiesta and Verna petrol sales though(not that i've ever seen Verna P on road) ... they've still got the diesel adv. for now.

P.S Though i do expect ABS / Airbags as an option in the segment at hand

Last edited by Fiero : 19th May 2007 at 20:09.
Old 19th May 2007, 20:19   #92
BHPian

With introduction of SX4, it's sad to see Maruti falling for popular specs over functional to boost its sale. Perhaps it has realised that there are too many Indians with money (but without grey cells) looking at just features, not benefits. For the rest, at least, it could have spared euthanising Baleno (sigh)...
Old 19th May 2007, 21:24   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar View Post
With introduction of SX4, it's sad to see Maruti falling for popular specs over functional to boost its sale. Perhaps it has realised that there are too many Indians with money (but without grey cells) looking at just features, not benefits. For the rest, at least, it could have spared euthanising Baleno (sigh)...
If the companies followed your agenda, we would still have old cars like premier padmini devoid of "features" such as Airbags, ABS, Electronic Stability Control, Traction Control and other such life saving equipment.

Functional doesnt mean having four tyres, a cabin and an engine to haul 5 people around.

My grouse remains with "Segment Leaders" which dont lead by example and provide life saving measures citing "Cost/Value/people-dont-want-them-gadgets" as an excuse!

All I want is for the manufacturers to provide maximum safety "features" even if as an optional so that Indians like me (without grey cells, if you please) can buy them.
Old 19th May 2007, 21:51   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
guys - ive been an owner of a HONDA CITY 1.5 EXI for last 2.5 years. the car is a 2001 model bought second hand. though i completely enjoy driving this car - the owner ship experience is not something im really happy about - especially when a 2.5 lakh alto owner gets a FAR FAR SUPERIOR ownership experience than i get from HONDA......

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY WELCOME THE SX4 and i SINCERELY WISH IT GIVES THE CITY A SERIOUS RUN FOR ITS MONEY AND LITERALLY BRINGS HONDA TO ITS FEET ( WHICH IS WHERE IT HAS BEEN ALL ALONG KEEPING ITS CUSTOMERS )
--------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you Sir ......

honda has taken its customers for granted and deserves a better competition and only Maruti can take Honda by its horns.

SX4 is a great car and a brilliant package at that price.

Future of Indian automobile industry looks great but only for prospective customers.

Cheers !!
Old 19th May 2007, 22:00   #95
BHPian

Honestly speaking, it's disheartening that a market leader like Honda does not even offer ABS/Airbags as an option on the City.

They just take the Indian consumer for granted. We today have Maruti that's actually offering these on their cars. Kudos to Maruti....

BTW, I don't own a maruti...but for my next car it's definitely on my mind.

Given a choice today I would definitely prefer the SX4 next to the City... well if the City offers airbags/ABS, that would be a different scene.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which "functional specs" are missing in SX4 compared to Baleno
And people without grey cells look at features.. lol where does that come from?
Old 19th May 2007, 22:23   #97
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
LOL....

since when in this country is an airbag and abs a popular spec?
on what basis do u say that life saving equipment airbag and abs are not functional? i guess u believe that seat belts, crumple zones and impact beams are money wasting features...

what other functional features is sx4 missing? a rear spoiler or a sunroof?? or maybe base glow lights and body graphics?

just FYI - you get very good insurance discount in US if your car has Airbags, ABS, central locking..even for auto headlights as they said to improve visibility.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me something when the Baleno was launched how many of them sold, very few? Simply put it lacked many features which were added to the Baleno a tad later like Climate Control, 14inchers, etc. Baleno is a good car but it doesnot mean that the SX4 is bad. And its us who grumbles that MUL gives us outdated cars. The SX4 seems more functional to me, with bigger height, GC, boot and interior dimensions then the Baleno. Features are Benefits. With ABS & EBD you car wont lock which translates to better braking and is benefetial for us.

Quote:
There are plenty of fantastic & excellent Cars for me to choose from!
Please name a few and in which aspect they are fantastic?

Quote:
MUL should be appreciated for starting this trend of bringing in Safety features but I would have been very happy if these were available as standard in all the Variants! But no, it is present only the highest variant Zxi.
You should be happy atleast MUL is offering it. I know people who are ready to splash the extra cash for all the features buttttt manufacturers like Honda take you for a ride( by not offering such features and charging a premium) I love Honda and have owned a NHC, had it for 7 months and sold it as i could not tolerate the crappy brakes and highly unenthusiastic engine which lacked horses. Also the dealership experience was far from sastisfactory (Dealer : Ichibaan Honda, Chembur, the less about them the better) I have never been fan of Maruti Cars buttttttt Honda indeed deserve to learn a lesson. When the Thailand car has paddle shifts, Ultra Seating, 15inch tyres, ABS, EBD, Airbags, why dont Indians get all this. Instead of giving wider rubber Honda claims that our tyre manufacturers are not ready for wider tyres for the Vtec, which the Vtec deserves badly. The OHC also came with the same size and with that extra weight why have they not upgraded the tyres? MUL atleast gives you a option of ABS on the Vxi and its standard on the Zxi for the Swift for which i applaud to then.

And please name atleast one car in which all the features are a standard equipment, heck then why do we need to make variants in the first? place.

Quote:
the swift ZXI is almost a lakh expensive than the VXI
The Zxi is 70k more then the VXi and the price is totally justified IMHO.

Body Coloured Door Mirrors Handles.
Height Adjustable drivers seat.
Rear Defogger.
Rear Wiper.
ABS with EBD.
Dual Air Bags.
Climate Control.
Parcel Shelf.
Light in boot.
Wider Tyres.
Alloy Wheels.

Dont you think the price is justified. Tell me which other car is so VFM. I dont own a ZXi/VXi/LXi/LDi.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:44   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
...All I want is for the manufacturers to provide maximum safety "features"...
Then consider a tank. Safety is important but not paramount...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
...Which "functional specs" are missing in SX4...
Performance, for one (not the numbers in spec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
...since when in this country is an airbag and abs a popular spec? on what basis do u say that life saving equipment airbag and abs are not functional?...
I've heard a lot of this ABS and Airbag stuff as "lifesavers" from drivers who don't want to even put on their seat belts. Worse, I've seen their toddlers seated on the front seat on their spouses' laps. Even worse, the ones who argue for these "safety features" don't hesitate to drink and drive or use a cell phone while driving. This forum has seen plenty of this debate. ABS and airbags have doubtful utility and are not necessary for all cars. At best, they make a bad driver look average...
Old 19th May 2007, 22:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Performance, for one (not the numbers in spec)
If you want performance buy your self a airel atom, the SX4 drives better then the Baleno. Outright performance the Baleno is better, but all routes are never done from 0 - 100 in 2nd gear are they?

Quote:
This forum has seen plenty of this debate. ABS and airbags have doubtful utility and are not necessary for all cars. At best, they make a bad driver look average...
I am totally speechless reading what you have written. Drive a Swift without ABS and drive a Swift with ABS, both on the same tyres and you will realise how vastly it is effective. Airbags do save life, though life is in the hand of the almighty but precaution is better then cure. And we are talking about normal sane drivers not people who drink and drive and the likes, please dont drift off topic.

Quote:
Then consider a tank.
Safety is more important then having more Bhps under your right foot. You can never install ABS or Airbags aftermarket but you can add KnN's, Exhausts, Cams, Remaps afterwards. BTW Tanks dont come cheap and not that VFM IMO

Last edited by BUSA : 19th May 2007 at 22:53.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:54   #101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
I've heard a lot of this ABS and Airbag stuff as "lifesavers" from drivers who don't want to even put on their seat belts. Worse, I've seen their toddlers seated on the front seat on their spouses' laps. Even worse, the ones who argue for these "safety features" don't hesitate to drink and drive or use a cell phone while driving.
This is acceptable to those driving non-ABS cars as well. Infact, from personal experience I have seen most people who opt for these features are quite safety conscious. Atleast from what I have seen. And ABS, EBD do help. Specially on the elantra and the sx4. And btw thats not an excuse not to have ABS.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 19th May 2007 at 22:59.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:54   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
...Features are Benefits...
Wrong. Eyes are features, vision is the intended benefit; Ears are features, ability to listen the intended benefit; brain is a feature, ability to discern the intended benefit; appendix is a feature, what's the benefit (excepting to help surgeons make money by performing appendicitis)?
Old 19th May 2007, 23:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong. Eyes are features, vision is the intended benefit; Ears are features, ability to listen the intended benefit; brain is a feature, ability to discern the intended benefit; appendix is a feature, what's the benefit (excepting to help surgeons make money by performing appendicitis)?
Lets get the biological aspects out of here and be practical. Wont it be benefitial for you if your car stops without skidding.

No Skidding = No Lock Up = Lesser Wear = Longer Lasting Tires = Tires serving you more = you benefit money wise dont you.
Old 19th May 2007, 23:27   #104
BHPian

Quote:
brain is a feature, ability to discern the intended benefit;
LOL!!!! I am intrigued man!

and you cant DISCERN the intended benefit of ABS, EBD, Airbags????
Old 19th May 2007, 23:48   #105
Team-BHP Support

@prabhakar: once you have a crash coz some nut in front of you decided to take a U turn, you will realise the value of ABS etc etc

it saves injury and loads of money and agony

to rest who are still at this comparison, my honest suggestion is to try out both the cars and then, not by perceived stuff. egs: i perceived SX to be a gen ahead on NHC
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks