Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2004, 23:34   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

We know that Estates or Station Wagons were never popular in India. The only successful stationwagon/Estate in India was the Tata Estate. The first station wagon/Estate in India. Though it was underpowered and unrefined it was much spacious and comfortable than any other sedan available in the market. The Tata Estate was based on the Mercedes TE Estate.

Having owned 2 Tata Estate's in the past 6 years I can definitely say that it was the most comfortable Indian car I've ever been in. And that too at a cheap price. Quality levels were quite bad. The interiors were plasticky and faded very easily. The wheel archs were not in proper shape. Lotsa ups and downs.
Bad roads are not a problem for the ride comfort of the Estate was superb. The Estate sales started declining cos lots of other new and refined cars started comin into the market. Though Tata still sold the Estate on individual orders.

After the Tata Estate came the Opel Corsa Swing and the Maruti Suzuki Baleno Altura, but none of them succeeded. And now Tata has high hopes of gettin this car into India. The Indigo Marina is spacious, refined and has good quality. It has everything what a Tata Estate owner would want.
So what do you guys think??? Will the Indigo Marina repeat the success of the Tata Estate?? Or will it go to the grave like the Swing and the Altura???
Old 20th March 2004, 23:37   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mercedes E Class Estate on which the Tata Estate was based upon.
Old 20th March 2004, 23:38   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mercedes E Class Estate on which the Tata Estate was based upon.
Old 20th March 2004, 23:40   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The most noticeable difference [externally...........if u xclude the grille and the lights obviously] is the overall dimensions of the cars. The E was wider and lower than the Estate.
Old 20th March 2004, 23:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

i have always heard guys who owned tata estates rave about them. i have never had the oppurtunity to get a ride in one though. the indigo marina doesn't really sound very interesting at all. i mean it's a tata. at the most it will be great value for money. my favourite estate right now though is the baleno altura. the rear does look very good in place. the engine pulls very well too. though the gearbox doesn't really take a lot of abuse well. one of the reasons it failed in rallying too. the corsa swing though is hardly any fun to drive. but all in all a good attempt nonetheless.
Old 21st March 2004, 00:02   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

i think the marina might just click if its priced aggressively...it does have a diesel heart after all..plus i think it'll work with fleet operators..
Old 21st March 2004, 05:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

p-head "my favourite estate right now though is the baleno altura"

absolutely man....the rear of that car looks better than the front of most indian cars. I once saw this green( i know..your thinking UGH GREEN!!) altura with nice alloys and wide tires...looked amazing!!

But i do not consider estates to be "real cars".......so it will be just to look at and not to own! ;-]

cheers

ps - RJ..funny signature ;-]
Old 21st March 2004, 07:40   #8
BHPian

Estate or Sedans or Hatchback , In India price is the factor for a car to break sales records.As said fleet operators may buy for the extra luggage space.
Old 21st March 2004, 23:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

My personal station wagen fav is the palio Adventure. I always thought Estates were ugly looking and u can't ever make a good looking estate. Adventure proved me wrong. Also, estates are for those who love going on loooong drives. Adventure is the only car that makes u feel like taking it for a long drive to adventurous vacation. Of course, the mercs, bmw's and audi estates are also good looking.
I feeel the best looking estate in india would be the Skoda Fabia Combi.
Old 23rd March 2004, 16:58   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Has the Marina been launched??? My bro seen a silver undisguised Marina with temporary reigistration in Juhu.
Old 23rd March 2004, 19:47   #11
BHPian

no it is not yet launched

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks