Team-BHP - August 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   August 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/241523-august-2021-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-3.html)

The DZire that used to be at #1 is perched precariously at #20.

Kia has two entries with its Seltos and Sonet in the Top Twenty. It has emerged at #4 in the list of the largest car makers hence, pushing M&M to #5.

M&M has the XUV 300 as its new bread and butter product in the Top Twenty. The conventional entries from this company viz the Bolero and Scorpio are out, signalling the decline of the rule of "ladder and frame" derived, WW II Willys trappings. Perhaps, the new Thar and other models could be reeling under the chip shortage.

The Nexon and Altroz from our newly emerged third largest automaker make a pleasant sight in the Top Twenty.

Again, the August 2021 sales chart could be misleading as were those charts during peak Covid and lockdown times. It was the pandemic then and its the semiconductor chip now, playing spoilsport. Incidentally, M&M's Thar II made it's entry during the second wave of the pandemic, while its XUV 700 is making its debut during the peak of the chip shortage !

So one thing that strikes me is that the Superb is outselling Octavia even though Octavia is a newer and cheaper car! Just the other day I received a call from Skoda dealer I had gone to, for checking out the new Octavia. He called after almost a month and a half and I thought to myself that the sales must have dried up now that he's desperately seeking me! And sure enough after checking this thread saw the numbers go down to 150.
It's pretty simple actually; Superb is priced better and Octavia simply too high! Customers might be pushing their budgets after looking at Octavia since they'll still get more car in Superb for it's cost than they would for the Octavia's cost.
I seriously hope Skoda takes note and brings the prices down to a reasonable level. At current prices, it's daylight robbery!

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstguri (Post 5145863)
It's pretty simple actually; Superb is priced better and Octavia simply too high! Customers might be pushing their budgets after looking at Octavia since they'll still get more car in Superb for it's cost than they would for the Octavia's cost.
I seriously hope Skoda takes note and brings the prices down to a reasonable level. At current prices, it's daylight robbery!

True!

With discounts on the Superb, very unlikely people would consider the Octavia! And now with staggering discounts on the Audi A4, with OTR prices like 39L, no doubt people will stray away from the Octavia!

This what I had written in the Octavia L&K vs Superb Sportline thread.
Quote:

Anyday Superb over Octavia!

If the Octavia is 80% of the A4, C-Class or 3 series, then the Superb is 75% of the A6 and 5 series (excluding the E-Class due to it’s longer wheelbase for India)

Reasons to pick the Superb:
- Full segment up car.
- Slighty better looking than the Octavia.
- Full Alcantra wrapped black cabin vs Octavia’s beige.
- Same 2L TSI engine.
- Better rear legroom and boot space.
- Sportline gets a 3-spoke steering which looks much better than that 2 spoke incomplete steering wheel.
- Sunroof
- Better integration of the touchscreen.
- Retains the knobs and buttons on the touchscreen resulting in much better ergonomics.
- High mounted central AC vents will actually be more effective in blowing cold air on the face than the Octavia’s very low ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstguri (Post 5145863)
So one thing that strikes me is that the Superb is outselling Octavia even though Octavia is a newer and cheaper car! ..

The Octavia needs a price correction for better sales. Hope it comes sooner than later. Used to be so much more value for money proposition earlier.
But I highly doubt that Skoda is going to change its strategy. They are not aiming at high sales volumes with Octavia with its premium positioning.

I am surprised to see that Ignis is the lowest selling model in the entire Maruti portfolio. Curious as to why people dont prefer it. If the exterior look is the reason, Wagon R and S presso are not great either.
So is the case for Santro in Hyundai. Its the least selling car for them. ( Not considering Elantra and Tucson). Even Verna outsells it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adithya.kp (Post 5146381)
I am surprised to see that Ignis is the lowest selling model in the entire Maruti portfolio. Curious as to why people dont prefer it. If the exterior look is the reason, Wagon R and S presso are not great either.

I can only think of two reasons.
1. As mentioned, looks.
2. Ignis is inexplicably pricier given its size/segment, especially the top 2 variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsjey (Post 5145580)
Is it possible to share the EV sales figures as well in these reports? I feel it will provide a good perspective on EV market.

Hyundai Kona and MG ZS EV figures are reported. Would be nice to break out Tata Nexon EV and, now, Tigor EV and Xpres-T.

Reports say Nexon EV sales in August were 1,022 (I think sales to customers, not dealer shipments as here). That's 10% of the total, comparable numbers to Jeep Compass.

EV sales are going to rise exponentially in the next few years.

Nexon EV - 1022
MG ZS EV - 273
Kona EV - 1
Nexon EV broke the 1k barrier for the first time.

Toyota is selling 50 vellfires a month? At >1 cr on road prices, I think it is an achievement. do we have any other >1cr cars selling at those numbers almost consistently?

Vehicle registrations in Maharashtra for July this year were higher than for the month in the previous four years. August figures too are higher than in the past, barring 2018, show statistics from the transport department. Experts say this could be an indicator of economic recovery and also increased use of personal vehicles during Covid.

Data from Mumbai in image below: