Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 16:08   #16
BHPian

re: Ford stops manufacturing cars in India

This is indeed a sad news for me. Ford Figo diesel was my last car in India. I owned a Ritz and 2013 Honda City ivtec before that, and it was the Figo that I loved the most. It was fast, moved quite well, reasonably priced, frugal, cheap to maintain and Ford Service was surprisingly very good. Best amongst all the cars that I had owned before. I am a Ford convert now, and my next purchase here will definitely be a Ford may be a Ford Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20171129_130146.jpg  

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20180203_174159.jpg  

Mr.Ogre is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:12   #17
BHPian

A long time coming with all the rumours floating around. Good to see that they have set the record straight with an official announcement, though, it will be a bitter pill to swallow for current (and past) owners. Sadly, with Fiat and Ford gone, no more affordable true blue driver's cars for India! Only hope that they utilize the import quota wisely to bring some exciting cars here.
Old 9th September 2021, 16:12   #18
BHPian

Personally feeling very sad about this. I had booked Figo AT in the second week of August. I just called up the dealer and he has no idea about today's news. Hope I should be able to get back the booking amount(10K) in full as the terms and conditions did not have any deductions.
Old 9th September 2021, 16:13   #19
Team-BHP Support

Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:14   #20
BHPian

Yikes! The Endeavor is canned as well. It's only the Mustang Coupe and the Mustang EV that will be sold. This is more of an attempt to not let it feel that Ford has withdrawn completely. Eventually these will go away too.

For those who have balls of steel, this is the moment to go and negotiate hard with dealers who have Endeavor stocks on hand. Ignoring the non-existent resale value and service misery there should be some good deals to be had.
yd_gli is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:15   #21
BHPian

This is really sad news. I have my eyes on Endeavour but will remain a distant dream now.

To be very true, the enthusiast in me is kind of heartbroken after reading this news. I had a great time driving the first generation Figo and always feel nostalgic whenever I see one on the road.

Even in terms of the service cost and quality, they were miles ahead of market leaders except for Toyota.

Last edited by Highh5 : 9th September 2021 at 16:17.
Highh5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:20   #22
Team-BHP Support

It's out of the blue even for Ford dealers or that's what they are saying. Apparently, FORD has been taking orders for October and November production as recently as day before from dealers.

It turns out that the information about stopping of production for Endeavour turns out correct, but it won't be followed with Bi or Single Turbo engines. They have mentioned about Mustang only but may include Ranger and CBU Endeavour later.

Just shows, how difficult is for any MNC to operate in a competitive market like ours.
Turbanator is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Another big car manufacturer bites dust. Like in telecom segment it is going to be a total carnage in automotive sector in India. Ultimately 3-4 players may survive. Super touchy customers with herd mentality, Govt with 'kill the golden goose' kind of mentality are squarely responsible for the sad state of affairs. VW/Skoda and Nissan/Renault will be the next to exit.
In the long run customers only will suffer.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2021 at 21:24. Reason: Off-topic and an attack on BHPians
poloman is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
I had booked Figo AT in the second week of August. I just called up the dealer and he has no idea about today's news. Hope I should be able to get back the booking amount(10K) in full as the terms and conditions did not have any deductions.
As long as Ford has stock of the Figo AT you can still get it! And service centre's I believe will still exist so service will be no issue. Compared to it's competitors which have AMTs, the Figo AT is a solid car barring some essential features.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:22   #25
BHPian

This is not a shock news as last month itself this step was widely mentioned in media. Except a few people kept saying that its a rumour.

Yes, its a sad day indeed for Ford owners & enthusiasts in India.

But I already see few people worried about car service & stuff. I am a Ford owner too. Please don't worry as the process to handover end to end will be seamless. Am trying to be positive about it too.

Was evident that Ford India was unable to catch up with its competitors in terms of providing more options, so on and so forth.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th September 2021 at 16:26. Reason: Ppl = People, Pls = Please. No acronyms / shortforms or SMS language please. Thanks.
Anees_Offl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Another big car manufacturer bites dust. Like in telecom segment it is going to be a total carnage in automotive sector in India. Ultimately 3-4 players may survive.
Absolutely. Ultimately all will exit India, citing the taxation and electrification of vehicles. Indian players like Tata, Mahindra and Maruti will be there and we will have to buy these cars only, take it or leave it. "Made in India" success.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

As an owner of the erstwhile Chevrolet Beat, I can understand the pain existing customers will feel in the short term, but once the initial shock dies down, it will be business as usual (for most part) as after sales service will still continue smoothly (Chevrolet is doing a fine job so far)

A very short term benefit of this is that dealership will offer massive discounts to clear inventories and shut down shops, just like they did for Chevrolet, I remember the Cruze being sold at mouth watering discounts.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th September 2021 at 16:29. Reason: Chevvy = Chevrolet, Cruise = Cruze.
NiInJa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:29   #28
BHPian

Can you believe this? The below pic was taken precisely at 1 PM today. Myself on the right and my FIL on the left. The place is Kairali Ford Trivandrum. When my FIL said he wanted to upgrade to an automatic from a 2009 Alto, I gave him only one option - the new 1.2 P Automatic. Myself, still driving and caring my Diesel Titanium Figo from 2012, could not look beyond a Ford. Even though doubts persisted about the blue oval's future, we went ahead and got the car today. I believe news began to break immediately after that. What looked to be a joyous day has turned real sad.

I am feeling terrible for the staff over at Kairali Ford. Probably ours will be the last car they deliver from there. They were all cheering and clapping for us when we took out the car. Never thought or rather hoped Ford will pull the plug. Might make sense for them, but will never make sense for us, the Blue oval loyalists.

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-ford.jpg
ask_017 is offline   (241) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

It will be really heart-breaking to see Ford's massive facilities to go down the route of Daewoo's Surajpur factory, I pray this does not happen. At least with GM handing over reigns to MG, there was some sort of a consolation.

Ford India has a lot of strengths that many Indian auto companies could use. Albeit no one is looking to invest or add more capacity due to the chip crisis.

Ford had brilliant petrol engines, a big export market, a very flexible and crash proven platform that still has plenty of life in it, big scale, experienced employees.......all this shouldn't go to waste.
shortbread is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:33   #30
BHPian

Really disappointing news by Ford India but surely wasn’t an unexpected one. With the news of Figo automatic launch, EcoSport facelift and Endeavour testing I did not expect Ford to wrap up Indian operations so fast.
Ford owners including me have to now face the rapid depreciation in the resale value of our vehicles.

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-ee4c54770818422b89af0a17cecbf3cb.jpeg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-220369335cc6423c84ec919054b33baf.jpeg

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 9th September 2021 at 16:41.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks