Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 13:57   #346
BHPian

re: Ford stops manufacturing cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

BUT, if Ford India has used their corporate might and marketing reach to purposely and actively mislead their current / potential customer base & dealer fraternity by pushing such false news (of facelifts and engine updates), this could be held to be gross misrepresentation and a punishable offence.
This can only work if there was some kind of official written letter or advertisement about upcoming launch, however the spyshots and speculations are just rumors i.e. there is no way to prove them.

Ford can just claim that they were testing components and other parts for other markets and had not intention to launch the products in India to get around it.
Black_Star is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:59   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Of course I agree that Fords didn't sell well because they didn't give what the Indian buyers wanted - Marutis.

I feel that the Ecosport is a better car than the Brezza, the Figo a better car than the Swift and the Endeavor a better car than the Fortuner. But yes, that is not what the market wants.

And I am glad that Ford chose to exit the market than rebrand shoddy Maruti cars like the Baleno and Brezza to stay in the market.
Let me give you a very good example of how Ford greatly messed up launching an amazing car. The Ford Freestyle is a great car. The awesome Petrol Engine, Solid Build, Awesome Ground Clearance and all this at hatchback prices. In fact Freestyle, like Ecosport actually created an all new segment and there was no competition to it.

So the question is why does it flopped so badly? Why Baleno and i20 were still preferred over Freestyle.

The answer lies in the practicality of the car. Ford assumed that the great drivability and ground clearance of the car will score more brownie points than its competitors.

However, when people looked at Freestyle, they found the bootspace is miniscule, backseat is only good for 2 adults and a kid, no arm rest at back seat, no ac vents in back, no ISOFIX points.

It is very important for any company to understand that in India, space, mileage, features and practicality score more points with people than build quality and drivability. Ford completely ignored this in its products.

Maruti and Hyundai know what people wants. One can now say the same to Kia as well. Their market research was solid and even though they brought flimsy cars with average build quality, the features they put in the car along with space and practicality at the price point just captured the imagination of the people.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 13th September 2021 at 14:04.
souvikjana83 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:05   #348
Senior - BHPian

Ford's exit from India was inevitable and given their shrinking portfolio it was long overdue. They had a decent lineup though, like their bread and butter model Ecosport besides Endeavour, Freestyle, Figo, Aspire, etc. I believe this is something similar that happened to GM as well before they exited India for good.

Both the manufacturers did introduce some decent models but did not capitalize on the opportunities thereafter (read Ecosport, Ikon, Beat, Spark, etc.). It is easy to say that Ford does have some decent models that could work wonders in India but introducing them here is a different ball game altogether (Ford Kuga is one of them). We do have new manufacturers coming in but I am not sure if they can replace Ford for what they offered i.e. build quality, safety, driving pleasure, etc. Besides I am glad that Ford did not dilute or compromise on their quality of cars by Indianizing them. I say this as we all know how manufacturers offer zero safety cars in India while the same cars have at least a couple of safety stars while being sold elsewhere globally. They take advantage of the existing policy loopholes setup by Indian standards and happily laugh their way to the bank.

Ford is no saint as they too excluded the k-truss in Endeavour model offered in India compared to it being offered in their Australian variant Endeavour. Although I believe the truss is added for structural strength for hauling caravans, boats, jet skis, other recreational stuff, etc.

Big manufacturers like Ford leaving the country is not a very good sign with Toyota also being vocal about this. I dread the situation of the dealers, factory workers and other staff employed with Ford. Not sure whom to blame for this, whether the Government for its substandard safety and other regulatory policies or the manufacturers who find loop holes in these policies and regulations and sell their substandard cars or the people who buy them knowing the inherent safety and other cost cutting measures? It is not an easy answer, after all.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:39   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A little birdie tells me that Ford didn't want to sit on dead stock of thousands of cars or parts. Hence, it intentionally misled the market by running mules of the EcoSport facelift & passing out rumours of the Endeavour Bi-Turbo to some of its dealers.
Screams BS to me to be honest. A good chunk of people would rather wait for a facelift if it's around the corner. If Ford had heavy discounts planned for the pre-existing stock, then that's a different story altogether. Still not sure why these cars aren't being sold at mouth watering prices. They've got dead stock on their hands regardless of whichever way you look at it.

Last edited by createrkid : 13th September 2021 at 14:44.
createrkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:58   #350
BHPian

First love, first car... this will never fade away

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_1343.jpg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-p1190894.jpg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-p1200712.jpg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_3148.jpg
streetfighter is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 18:03   #351
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
On a slightly different note(this might warrant a new thread altogether), I believe the absolute numbers of cars owned by private individuals have reached a saturation point and will continue to stay at a similar level or decrease slightly, the reason being stunted growth of the middle class in India.

The number of families entering the threshold of middle class has continued to shrink even before 2020, and cars being big ticket aspirational products of the middle class, other than real estate, have had the short end of the stick unfortunately.
This is a great comment and I agree one reason they left was because they did not see growth projections. Also people owning cars for longer and rocketing fuel prices will have long term detrimental effects.

For MSIL and Hyundai, this is a make or break market, others can afford to fail and cut their losses.Toyota's disinterest is a perfect example. Honda has the same behavior and I'd say Magnite is Nissans hail mary.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 18:07   #352
BANNED

While I am apprehensive of the rumor that Ford India went to the extent of running fake mules to deceive the market/customers, BUT if they did - I applaud their wickedness.

There is a lesson here for all of us, and by us, I mean consumers. The lesson is this:
Don't be a fanboy, don't be loyal to any corporation. Loyalty is for dogs.

A for-profit organization exists solely to make money for their shareholders and their obligation is to their shareholders and to the laws of the nation in which they operate. They have ZERO obligation to you as a customer beyond what's stipulated in their sales contract/T&C. They are not going to shed a tear if you get into an accident or injure yourself or others using their product or services

Your job, as a customer, is to make sure you are getting your money's worth. Your job is to optimize for value, the corporation's job is to optimize for profit.

Ford India did what was necessary to optimize their profit (in this case - minimize their losses), if you are now feeling deceived or disappointed, you have only yourself to blame.

Last edited by Electromotive : 13th September 2021 at 18:17. Reason: Typo
Electromotive is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 22:17   #353
BHPian

My first car 2012-2019. You had to drive it to know how special this car was - New Fiesta 1.5 TDCi
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-20190122_120636.jpg

2019 - Traded it for a more head over heart model. The Ecosport 1.5 TDCi.
More popular model, resale friendly color, same engine, more GC, more peace of mind.
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-20210912_111755.jpg

That lasted well.. exactly 6 months - when rumors began of ford shutting down, getting into JVs with Mahindra.

The New fiesta was a dud in the Indian market, the Ecosport fared much better but for me is not the better car. It is still a competent car but doesn't make you happy inside the way the former did (the josh is a bit muted even though the engine is the same). Sadly most people will never have that experience and it's their loss.

And from here on, most people won't experience a Ford either. No doubt, Ford did screw up their game in India but that doesn't take away from the fact that they make great, reliable cars. I didn't get the 'expensive to maintain' thing either.

There are quite a few of Ecosports on road; hope I get another 7-8 years out of this one - Ford service & parts permitting. Hope the Indian electric era is a more competitive one.

PS: For all the prospective non-Maruti/Hyundai buyers out there, my 2 cents: no point trying to predict the future. Ensure that there are enough of your make on the road for parts availabililty. Buy what makes you happy & enjoy the ride while it lasts

Last edited by gishu : 13th September 2021 at 22:29. Reason: Bonus Tip.
gishu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 23:17   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Don't be a fanboy, don't be loyal to any corporation. Loyalty is for dogs.
When a consumer purchases a product, they research, set requirements and put their hard earned money accordingly.
If product is good and lives upto the expectations or even exceeds it, that's what makes them happy in the end. Money well spent. So, there is no harm in supporting them initially. After prolonged use with good user experience is when people start appreciating the product. Becoming a fanboy at this point is not at all a problem. You'll not find any enthusiast here who is loyal to a particular brand. Fanboy? Yes, there are many.
You are in Team-BHP - a forum full of enthusiasts where I can safely say 4 out of 5 people here are a fan of some particular brand.
We’ve put our money here. We’re not the employees of Ford but their customers.

Quote:
Your job, as a customer, is to make sure you are getting your money's worth. Your job is to optimize for value, the corporation's job is to optimize for profit.
That’s how it works for us and the business. Putting our money where it’s worth which in turn benefits the company.

Quote:
Ford India did what was necessary to optimize their profit (in this case - minimize their losses), if you are now feeling deceived or disappointed, you have only yourself to blame.
You are saying that all Ford owners in India should blame themselves?
That’s the funniest view I’ve ever heard.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 13th September 2021 at 23:18.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 23:30   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I too sold Ford Aspire 1.5 TDCI Titanium plus on the very same day of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Good to know that. In the meantime I still own another Ford i.e. Figo with the same 1.5 Diesel as yours, really love it.

Quote:
I picked up something else in return.
Me too, here's the report on my new car buy decision i.e. Ford Ecosport replacement;

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5148806 (Skoda Kushaq Review)
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 00:48   #356
BHPian

I feel like Ford genuinely tried to cater to Indian market unlike GM which was happy selling rebadged car from its global stable
Ultimately companies at times have to take a call to cut back when things are not looking bright
It's sad but understandable decision
Anikesh11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 08:52   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
Hi All, I had recently bought Ford Endeavor 3.2 (pre worshiped) thinking its a great truck and with ford's service support I can keep it for atleast 5-7 yrs but now I am concerned, with Ford moving out will it impact ownership experience and maintenance of this truck for atleast 5 yrs? Also what happens to the resale value of this vehicle? Will it come crashing down or will it still hold in the market because of the product?
Can you please share more details about your purchase. I've been considering getting a pre-worshipped Endeavour or the Fortuner over the last few months. I'm also keen as to how to re-evaluate the price of the Endeavour, given that everyone talks of higher depreciation now that Ford has exited the market.

Regarding your query of maintenance of a discontinued product, I have a Fiat Punto myself (and 3 more Puntos within my friends circle). I still continue to enjoy the car with absolutely no concerns of spare part availability or technicians to service it. Moreover the car is more mechanical than current gen of gadget on wheels, so servicing it is simpler I guess

Last edited by Philistine : 14th September 2021 at 08:55.
Old 14th September 2021, 08:54   #358
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
You'll not find any enthusiast here who is loyal to a particular brand. Fanboy? Yes, there are many.
You are saying that all Ford owners in India should blame themselves?
That’s the funniest view I’ve ever heard.
Why would I blame Ford owners in India? They voted with their wallets. They felt they were getting a good deal for their money when they bought a Ford. I am also quite sure that many of those who bought a Ford in the last 6 months have a few choice expletives in store for Ford. So no, I am not saying Ford owners should blame themselves; I am saying that people who keep singing praises for Ford (instead of seeing Ford for what they are/were - lazy and arrogant) should feel sorry for themselves for giving Ford more praise than they deserve and misguiding people into becoming Ford owners. If anything, our market has been objective and has not rewarded Ford.

Enthusiasts like/love a product for what it is, fanboys worship the maker of the product and think they can do no wrong. If the rumors of Ford's deception are true, it only goes to show how little respect Ford has for its customers and the Indian market.

Some members have blamed govt. policy for Ford's exit. Well, let me put forth a counter point: Ford has been in India since the mid 90's, same as Hyundai. Then why are they stuck below 3% market share when Hyundai commands over 20%? Did the govt. favor Hyundai in some way? The answer is a resounding NO!.

Ford has been lazy and arrogant, they thought they knew better than the market itself. Even when they found success in the Ecosport they sat and squandered the momentum while Hyundai when from strength to strength with each launch. They thought who in their right mind would not buy a Ford, its a FORD!!. Well, they stand corrected and not just in India but in almost every other market that's not the USA.

Ford's failure is their own doing, if they couldn't gain market share it's because they didn't try to serve the market. Even TaMo clawed back market share by giving people what they wanted.

In the coming years you will see MG/SAIC gaining a significant market share (>10%) and they will do this even when they have the "Chinese company" label working against them. This will happen because they have their ears planted on the ground, they are listening to what the market wants and they are willing to cater.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2021 at 07:27. Reason: Please do NOT use BOLD excessively; post becomes an eyesore for others. Thank you!
Electromotive is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 13:03   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I totally agree with this. Why open another plant when the first one is not fully utilized. My guess is that it was a political ( either to please the powers or was coerced ) and they paid a huge price for it.

I was looking at the Ford UK website and they have cars which are competitors to the Creta and Innova. And they could not bring those in our country? The CSUV market is so wide open that Hyundai starts a subsidiary and becomes the second biggest player on day 1 and these guys couldnt figure out what to do with cars they already had in the stable? In spite of all this, I dont understand people blaming the govt. policies and the general public for Ford's failure.

Why should the government interfere to help them for making bad management decisions? If every company in the industry is impacted, then govt. can step in.
I believe government is directly not responsible for the downfall of Ford or GM or any other company's future exit from India but there is certainly a case of putting an indirect responsibility over it. Today mobility in general is not a luxury one opts for but the basic need. Due to insufficient public infrastructure, people are forced to own personal vehicles and here comes the role of government which taxes the entire mobility setup right from fuel to vehicle so heavily that it affects the buying public and hence the manufacturers as well. Also lack of clarity on automotive policies, haphazard enforcement of new regulations put a great burden on the manufacturers too. Lastly as the manufacturing sector provides employment to large number of people both directly and indirectly, it is the job of the government to see that there is a stable environment in the sector and such big bumps are avoided.
Old 14th September 2021, 14:26   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
It takes lot of strategic thinking, investment and patience to build a brand which people can trust.
Sanjay Gandhi had talks with VW and had plans to bring the Jetta as the first Maruti car before he died in the crash. If the deal with vW had gone through, we today would have been debating how Maruti-VW built their legendary brand in India and why Suzuki had to exit the market because it failed to understand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
What stopped them from positioning and marketing their cars appropriately?
You can't position something as something else. When a donkey is what the market wants, one cannot take his horse to the market and position and market it as a donkey.

Quote:
Ford, therefore, admittedly failed to focus and execute on a strategy to market and sell cars that are presumably better than those offered by market leaders. That, to me, is shoddier than having cars that promise driveability, reliability, and maintainability.
Apparently, almost every carmaker with international repute seems to fail to market their cars in the Indian market. Does Maruti recruit their marketing personnel from a different pool?
Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
In fact Freestyle, like Ecosport actually created an all new segment and there was no competition to it.
There was nothing unique in Freestyle. There were already several plastic clad hatchbacks around.

The Ecosport sold well, when there was no competition. Then Maruti launched their CSUV and people flocked to it. Not because Brezza was a better car or Maruti marketed it better. Even without a single ad it would have flew off the shelf.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks