Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 17:24   #61
BHPian

re: Ford stops manufacturing cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
This is another casualty of this exit. These prices could have been expected till a few hours ago- not any more. Resale prices will drop like a stone.
Well, in my city, people (and dealers) in general are a bit laid back. Not that I'm planning to sell my car, but the price in the used car market would remain the same at least for month in my city. Another contributing factor is that mine is a diesel car, which has seen a spike in demand in the used car market since Maruti quit diesels & price of petrol increased last year.
Old 9th September 2021, 17:27   #62
BHPian

While this news doesn't come as a shock to me, it is still deeply saddening.

I have very fond memories of our Ford Ikon 1.3 Nxt (One of the first few to be sold in Bangalore IIRC from Cauvery Ford, Kanakpura Road). It served us faithfully from 2003 - 2015. Over the 12 years, it saw many road trips across South India and in its sunset years, it was the car in which I learned to drive.

I don't have a picture of the car with me, but here's a picture of my old man with my old car from 2006 on an Ooty road trip.

Goodbye Ford India, it was nice knowing you. Hopefully, someday I'll get to own a nice Ford of my own.

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-100_0690.jpg

PS: Interesting to note that none of the three cars in this image - the Tata Indigo Marina, the Toyota Qualis, and the Ford Ikon are produced anymore.
TejasKinger is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:27   #63
BHPian

This is an extremely distressing news. Really skeptical on how much Ford will support existing customers henceforth. Ford's good or poor support right now to exisiting customers will give a slight indication of their intentions to re enter the Indian market in future. Their service has been pretty decent so far.

I mean is this it? Should Indians just buy a Maruti or a Hyundai to have the assuarance of permanently functioning ASS.

Now quite unsure whether to keep or sell a 51 month old Ecosport petrol automatic, extremley happy with the product, but have to see how the resale market will respond.
Old 9th September 2021, 17:29   #64
BHPian

It's disappointing that India is now left with one less global manufacturer. This further enshrines the dominance of Maruti and Hyundai. I guess with the global shift to EVs, Ford simply didn't see economic sense in developing new products for what will still be a mostly petrol dominated Indian market.

In 10 years or so, if EV infrastructure and adoption has caught up in India and they have global models that can easily be adapted, they may come back.
Goldenboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Ford Ecosport TDi I extensively test drove the EcoSport from self-drive rentals with Zoomcar, including three weekend trips to Mysore. What with smashing looks, exceptional all-round manners, the proven TDi mill and a footprint I absolutely loved, it seemed this car was tailor-made for us. The much-criticized rear bench never appeared insufficient nor did the boot seem impractical. When everything seemed to fall in place, came a spoke in the wheel - insanely long waiting periods of 8+ months for the Titanium trim.

The spiraling circle of wait times and price hikes turned us away from the mini-SUV - for the time being.
I remember making over half a dozen trips to the Ford showroom, way back in 2014, asking if they'd reopened bookings for the blockbuster Ecosport.

Never owned a Ford, but always admired their brilliant cars - from Fusion to Fiesta to the EcoSport, and of course, the Endeavor.

A quarter of a century is a significantly long time for Ford not to have anchored themselves strong! Alas, they'll only have themselves to blame for this.

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-eco_zoom.jpg

A pic from one of our trips.

Last edited by pannags : 9th September 2021 at 17:59. Reason: Modified post
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised at all. The writing was on the wall. Infact post Mahindra-Ford JV divorce this was inevitable. Really sad to see another good manufacturer leave. Hope VW/Skoda doesnt follow suit. Nissan/Renault is on ventilator with Kiger/Magnite helping for now. Honda is in snooze mode since a decade. We will be left with just maruti, hyundai, tata and mahindra in coming years.

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th September 2021 at 17:37.
Old 9th September 2021, 17:33   #67

I find it surprising that a co with a revenue of $100+ bil/ year can’t absorb a loss of $2 bil spread in 10 years ? What am I missing ?

Isn’t India one of the last big countries with fewest cars per thousand ? If not here where will they fight ?
Do they have a presence in China or Africa ?
zosoin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:40   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

We can quantify how many cars a company sold but I don't think we can quantify the below objectively,
  • How many regular people a company converted to become car enthusiasts through their FTD cars?
  • How many lives/families a company saved through their safe cars?
Ford India will not be remembered for their sales but will forever be remembered for providing FTD and safe cars in the non-luxury segment.

I don't believe the Mustang/Mach-E story. If they are not going to be assembling anything in India then it is pretty much curtains down for Ford India.

Having bought 3 Ford cars and also working for them in the past, I am concerned for the welfare/future of the affected dealers, suppliers, employees and their families. I hope they are taken care of by Ford India for the short term/until they find alternatives.

Time for nostalgia.

The Josh machine Ikon.
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-tapatalk_1456778730847.jpeg

Fiesta:
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-dsc_0372.jpg

Loved the time I spent in fine tuning this wonderful car with the help of friends and technicians.
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20150321_165522573_hdr.jpg

Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-img_20151014_174022393.jpg

Aspire: Least FTD amongst the 3 but great VFM.
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-dsc_0081_hagrid.jpg
kiku007 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:40   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoin View Post
I find it surprising that a co with a revenue of $100+ bil/ year can’t absorb a loss of $2 bil spread in 10 years ? What am I missing ?

Isn’t India one of the last big countries with fewest cars per thousand ? If not here where will they fight ?
Do they have a presence in China or Africa ?
It is about ROCE (Return on Capital Employed). Why lose money when you are not gaining market share. That capital is better employed where it makes them more money or gains market share... which is mostly the US market.

Ford is heavily investing in EVs and needs to optimize and cut losses wherever possible. They have improved the health of their balance sheet through such actions in the past two years.
Electromotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:47   #70
BHPian

The ads have started to twist the knives further
Attached Thumbnails
Ford stops manufacturing cars in India-screenshot_202109091744282.jpg  

Avinash_R is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:49   #71

Well the Ford's exit is in the news since several months,
It was bound to happen someday.

Now that Ford's gone, there's no true rival to Toyota Fortuner in the 50 lac bracket
Whitebear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:51   #72
BHPian

I guess everyone here in this forum knew this was coming but still was hoping against it. Now that it has been confirmed, it's a sad day for me personally. Even though I've never owned a Ford, I always liked their cars starting from the very first generation Ikon and then Fiesta and so on. In fact it was me who suggested my FIL to go for Ecosport when he was searching a car in 2018 and he did go for it. I think withdrawal of an OEM is almost like losing a parent to the owners. Well not literally but this surely affects owners in terms of resale, in terms of servicing in the long run and probably many other ways. Really difficult times for the dealers too because on one hand they'll have some high value unsold inventory that'll be hard to move on and on the other hand they'll have to face hundreds of customer calls along with uncertain business.

I'm saved by a whisker as I was very close to getting an Endeavour but the 2020 pandemic stopped that from happening. So buying an Endeavour will remain a dream to me and for many even though I still love it every bit and Toyota will probably celebrate today as literally there is no more competition for Fortuner. Personally I don't think Gloster or Altauras will be able to hold a candle in front of Fortuner anymore. It's a walkover from Ford and so VW/Skoda are the only drivers car left in mass market for now.

Last edited by Carpainter : 9th September 2021 at 17:53.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:52   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

A sad day for the Indian Automotive scene: Why did it happen and what does it mean ?

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th September 2021 at 17:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
The ads have started to twist the knives further
This is an excellent opportunity to grab well-maintained Ford cars that will flood the used car market soon, at throwaway prices. Even if service/support levels dwindle over the next few years, it would be worthwhile I guess.
cool_dube is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:58   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Really sad. But the writing was on the wall - they have taken USD 3 bn of charges in the last decade, and have budgeted USD 2 bn more to wind up operations. So Ford’s India foray has cost them USD 5 bn. Just tells you what a terrible regulatory policy framework we have in India. In sector after sector, foreign investors come in and lose their shirt.
Sir,

These two sectors seem to have done badly but at the same time, we have Chinese companies doing wonderfully well in the mobiles/electronics arena. They are analogous to the Korean and Chinese automakers in having understood the customer's pulse, built products that suited them across budget and features and therefore, are the current kings of the market.( Caveat is that regulation could still be unleashed to counter them if some influential party enters that market ). Even Nissan and Renault have learnt their lessons and are on the pathway to success.
All the great companies you have listed as on life support have precisely shied away from doing that. Investment without knowing one's identity or without focus is as good as giving away good money.
That's why you see Citroen repeating the same mistake. Great product. Confused placement. Atrocious pricing. They will end up getting the boot if they continue this way.

We have a long way to go as a business friendly nation but that did not stop smart foreign companies with a good plan from making money here. ( or suing our government for a refund ala Cairn )
kvothe_rules is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed