Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 22:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford India Exit - What should existing owners do? Worried about spare parts & support

Friends,

I am the fairly happy owner of a 2017 Apr Ford 1.5 AT (Ford Aspire: Excessive play in the driver's seat) that has generally been good for me.

I am worried after seeing posts like @ask_017 who got delivery of his car today at 1pm and was unaware of the circumstances. Imagine a car that lost 50% of its value in 3 hours!

I will happily run this car for as long as I can but I would want to stock up on any drivetrain parts since the AT barely sold. I am not worried about the regular plastic items or electrical but AT specific parts. Are there any parts (the equivalent of clutch plates for instance) i should buy? Just last month I began feeling a mild judder in reverse gear without accelerator, hence I was anyways wondering about impending expenses.

I wouldn't want it to become a garage queen waiting a month for parts to be imported from overseas.

For me it is no different from buying bike parts in advance of a Ladakh trip - investment in peace of mind.

Am I thinking about it right? How would you think about it?
- Would you chill about it right now and buy items only when they start going out of stock?
- Or do you trust local after market OEMs to step up for this large user base with replacement parts?

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th September 2021 at 22:48.
phamilyman is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 07:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford India Exit - What should existing owners do? Worried about spare parts & support

I don't think there is any need to worry about spares and support.
All manufacturers are mandated to provide service and warranty support for 10 years after a model is discontinued, this holds good for companies exiting their operations as well.

There is another thread on GM owners being relatively happy with the support provided by GM post their exit and this is after 4 years.

Chevrolet owners, how is the spare parts availability & service since GM left India?

Ford service had picked up quite a bit and don't think this will do down drastically and Ford is obliged to support all their cars for another decade.
speedmiester is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 07:25   #3
BHPian

re: Ford India Exit - What should existing owners do? Worried about spare parts & support

I don't think parts and service will be a problem for a few years. In any case, I don't think all AT parts are manufactured here; I think Ford,Thailand is the source for that.
matizcrazy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 07:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
fairly happy owner of a 2017 Apr Ford 1.5 AT that has generally been good.I would want to stock up on any drivetrain parts since the AT barely sold
Your car is just 4 years old, so just enjoy the experience. It is possible that you might want to part with the car when she turns 7 or so by when only a suspension job is likely. The automatic transmission never needs attention unless it's been tortured OR the oil hasn't been changed as recommended.

A 2013 Ford EcoSport Titanium Plus diesel with 83,000km of drives in Mumbai has just demanded work on the front struts, rear shocks, link rods, lower arms and engine mounts. This car has been driven on all kinds of roads in all seasons. So that should give you an idea of what to expect on your Aspire.

So, my recommendation to you would be to relax and enjoy the car. Cross the bridge when you reach it. When you eventually need parts, you'll easily get them. Yours is not like the rarest of rare imports that will end up like a garage queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I don't think there is any need to worry about spares and support
Quote:
Originally Posted by matizcrazy View Post
I don't think parts and service will be a problem for a few years
Agree with your views, @speedmiester and @matizcrazy.

Last edited by vigsom : 10th September 2021 at 07:50.
vigsom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

We also have a 2015 Aspire 1.5 AT with the DCT. It is a rare car with low volumes but I don't think you need to go and stock up on drivetrain parts. How do you even know what to get?

I hope service will not be a problem at least for the next 2 years. Just wait and watch the situation for the next 12 months and that should give you a feel of what lies ahead.

TBH it is not the spares that I'll worry about but the flight of good Dealers/Service technicians. From 2016, the closest service centre to my place has changed from <5 Kms to >15 Kms and our place is in the heart of the city!
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2017 Aspire Sports diesel which I was planning to keep for a minimum of ten years and I am still planning to.

My worry was since certain suspension parts are different from the normal Figo/Aspire, will those be available when the time comes. I am not that bothered about the cosmetic parts that are different. I am aware that the Figo Blu comes with the same size tyre as the Sports, but even that hardly sold.

Although Ford claims after sales will be go on and customers will not be left on the road, I am more concerned how the service centre's will treat customers now when it comes to parts availability, costs and honesty as to if a part actually needs to be replaced. These were the usual concerns earlier with other company service centres too, but now will it be more obvious?
tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

No need to worry about the spares availability.

Ford has merely stopped production, they will remain present as a CBU player (atleast for some years I guess).

There are many new Fords in the market. Had they sold like a Premiere Rio, then it could have been a cause to worry.

Resale value should not matter. Just use the car as per your liking and then evaluate at the time of upgrade. The way diesel cars are reducing in terms of sales, it may be worth keeping the present ones for longer duration of time.

Buying and stocking spares is a useless persuit since one never knows what part may be needed in future. Stocking periodic maintenance parts such as oil filter, fuel filter is even more wasting of time and energy as they are always available. Remember, there are people who are still running and maintaining Fiat Uno/Palio, Mitsubishi Lancer, Pajero etc.

The only additional care I would recommend a Ford owner is to be more caring towards the car. Perform all periodic maintenance on time and do not drive rashly over bad roads.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 10th September 2021 at 08:23.
PaddleShifter is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I would want to stock up on any drivetrain parts since the AT barely sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
We also have a 2015 Aspire 1.5 AT with the DCT. It is a rare car with low volumes
The 1.5 + DCT combo is common between the Aspire and EcoSport so it is not rare as such. Sure, parts may not be stocked at each ASC but then they often aren't, for cars across the spectrum, even those still in production.

Resale may be hit but that's about it.

Quote:
Just last month I began feeling a mild judder in reverse gear without accelerator
Get it checked at ASC, you might get it changed FOC under goodwill warranty, since the DCT is known to have a mind of its own.

My EcoSport (1.5 DCT) is a little over five years so although I'd have liked Ford to stay (given that they make good cars), I'm not too worried about this development. I sold my seven year old Corsa Sail for 60k so I've begun thick skinned about such matters.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

One fallout of this exit is that consumers like me are trusting Indian manufacturers more. I mean, where can they go? Right now we are having a toss up between Jeep Compass and the XUV 700. So the Mahindra, it will be! With regards to spares availability for 10 years, I really dont know if its true. On discontinued cars, I have seen support for 5 years, max.

Last edited by Sebring : 10th September 2021 at 08:59.
Sebring is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:05   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't sweat at all.

1. Ford, GM etc. have a reputation to maintain. If they leave their customers in the lurch, it affects their global reputation in this era of social media.

2. GM has kept Chevrolet owners satisfied and Ford will do the same. Ford India has time & again proven its corporate / social responsibility.

3. Hypothetically, even if Ford were to disappear, there are enough Figos, Aspires, EcoSports & Endeavours on our roads for the after-market to support them. There is a lot of money to be made for businesses. Heck, I still get many Mahindra spare parts for my '97 Classic, despite its 2.5L engine being discontinued years ago. Thanks to the thousands of Boleros & CJs roaming around rural India.

You are okay for another 7 - 10 years easily. Once these models are too old & start going to the scrapyard (like say, Ford Mondeos), then it will be a problem.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2021 at 09:07.
GTO is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford's India Exit - What should the serious preppie owner do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Ford has merely stopped production, they will remain present as a CBU player (atleast for some years I guess).
Unfortunately, I have to say this was pure PR crap.

A manufacturer that couldn't run the show with the Ecosport and Endeavour will now run the show with the Mustang and Mach-E? Even if Ford does want to run a CBU show - will the loss making dealerships play along with 5-10 units a month?

For most of us, this restructuring just means the end of the road for Ford showrooms in India.

Quote:
I don't think there is any need to worry about spares and support.
All manufacturers are mandated to provide service and warranty support for 10 years after a model is discontinued, this holds good for companies exiting their operations as well.
Agree. Owners don't have to panic because there are a good number of cars on the road to keep the service centers happy.

Realistically, I expect the showrooms to move to other emerging brands like Kia, MG, etc with the service centres continuing to cater to Ford (and an additional service center for the new brand). Over the longer term, some of these service centres may move out of the city or to smaller places to save on rental - but there should still be enough of a business model for them to continue serving Ford customers.

I wouldn't panic. If GM and FIAT owners (like me) are able to maintain cars without a headache - Ford owners should be good for 10 years at least.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th September 2021 at 09:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford India Exit - What should existing owners do? Worried about spare parts & support

Thanks all for replying. My worry is that Quality of support can be a meaningless aggregate statistic - I wouldn't care about inventory of billions of dollars in body panels if my DCT components are no longer in stock making my car a garage queen. I wouldn't bother with the rest of the parts like suspension etc.

Quote:

There is another thread on GM owners being relatively happy with the support provided by GM post their exit and this is after 4 years
Agree - my anxiety is much more about AT specific drivetrain items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matizcrazy View Post
I don't think all AT parts are manufactured here; I think Ford,Thailand is the source for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
So, my recommendation to you would be to relax and enjoy the car. Cross the bridge when you reach it. When you eventually need parts, you'll easily get them. Yours is not like the rarest of rare imports that will end up like a garage queen.
Thanks - very reassuring

Quote:
How do you even know what to get?
That's why this thread!

Quote:
TBH it is not the spares that I'll worry about but the flight of good Dealers/Service technicians. From 2016, the closest service centre to my place has changed from <5 Kms to >15 Kms and our place is in the heart of the city!
Precisely. My brother has the Micra and it had exactly this issue - service became a project for which he had to travel across NCR. I care less about distance since I have a driver who can be put to work on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have a 2017 Aspire Sports diesel

My worry was since certain suspension parts are different from the normal Figo/Aspire, will those be available when the time comes.
I would not have worried about it - your ride quality will suffer but the car is useful while parts are procured.

Quote:
Stocking periodic maintenance parts such as oil filter, fuel filter is even more wasting of time and energy as they are always available.
Agree not stocking those. Only the DCT which will surely need a look sometime.

Quote:
Remember, there are people who are still running and maintaining Fiat Uno/Palio, Mitsubishi Lancer, Pajero etc.The only additional care I would recommend a Ford owner is to be more caring towards the car. Perform all periodic maintenance on time and do not drive rashly over bad roads.
The quote in bold is not me. I am a driving enthusiast not a sentimental car ownership enthusiast! If I would not drive it over bad roads then I might as well sell it. Gurgaon is bad road central

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Get it checked at ASC, you might get it changed FOC under goodwill warranty, since the DCT is known to have a mind of its own.
I already had such an episode at 22k when something was changed mid 2019 - hence the worry. Good point about the parts bin being shared with the EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I sold my seven year old Corsa Sail for 60k so I've begun thick skinned about such matters.
Good to know I have a shoulder to cry on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't sweat at all.

1. Ford, GM etc. have a reputation to maintain. If they leave their customers in the lurch, it affects their global reputation in this era of social media.

2. GM has kept Chevrolet owners satisfied and Ford will do the same. Ford India has time & again proven its corporate / social responsibility.

3. Hypothetically, even if Ford were to disappear, there are enough Figos, Aspires, EcoSports & Endeavours on our roads for the after-market to support them. There is a lot of money to be made for businesses. Heck, I still get many Mahindra spare parts for my '97 Classic, despite its 2.5L engine being discontinued years ago. Thanks to the thousands of Boleros & CJs roaming around rural India.

You are okay for another 7 - 10 years easily. Once these models are too old & start going to the scrapyard (like say, Ford Mondeos), then it will be a problem.
Thanks - that's a fair historical perspective of the kind we love team-bhp for! Loved the 3rd point for which I added emphasis!
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:56   #13
BHPian

Re: Ford India Exit - What should existing owners do? Worried about spare parts & support

If you drive with your family and on the highways often, would suggest to sell off the car and move on.

Service centers will slowly turn to rip off centers. Down time will slowly increase and confidence to take the car on highways will dip. Not to mention, resale value will hit rock bottom.

It was very evident in the last couple of years that Ford is to shut shop, but still very surprised by how so many bhpians bought their cars.

Comparison with GM post exit support is not correct. Cut your losses and move on, you will not face much issue in the next 1 year, use it to sell it.

Stick to leading manufacturers, advent of EVs could lead to consolidation of auto manufacturers in an unprecedented scale.
CliffHanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 10:03   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't sweat at all.

3. Hypothetically, even if Ford were to disappear, there are enough Figos, Aspires, EcoSports & Endeavours on our roads for the after-market to support them. [….] Heck, I still get many Mahindra spare parts for my '97 Classic, despite its 2.5L engine being discontinued years ago. […]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I wouldn't panic. If GM and FIAT owners (like me) are able to maintain cars without a headache - Ford owners should be good for 10 years at least.
I agree that owners will largely be sorted and should have after market support from a combination of Ford plus FNG etc which is a well oiled machinery in itself.

I would just add one wrinkle to the older car / jeep analogies you gave in contrast to recent Ecosports / Endeavours etc (people have bought these all the way till a few days ago).
Current cars are just far more complex with a lot more gizmodry, electronics and overall complexity than a 97 Jeep or even a 2012 GM. I think routine upkeep will operate like a well oiled machine but if there is a fundamental issue like even accidental damage requiring part change (say a door) or even gearbox issue or similar then the owner will have to be prepared for disproportionate down time and that’s never convenient. If your recent Ecosport / Endeavour etc are your only ride, this is bound to play on your mind.

There are isolated cases like that (new 2021 Ford Endy pulled with a donkey - I know its an outlier but still - any such case is really in a shit show now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[…]with 5-10 units a month?
With 5-10 units a quarter might be more like it. 🙈
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 10:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

I wouldn't be too worried for the Ecosport, Aspire, new Figo and Endeavour owners.

The older gen Figo and Fiesta owners might not have it so easy as number of cars on road are lesser and being much older, they might see some parts supply issues.

Ford sold plenty of Ecosports and there is no way that there will be any issue about parts and support. Same with Figo and Aspire. They didn't sell as well but combined sales were plenty to offer after sales support for years to come.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed