Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 00:11   #1
BHPian

How many mistakes are possible in one RC? I counted 5!

Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking for a car for my father and have set my heart on a new 4th Generation Honda City. My father however has his heart set on a Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI (used), but it is tough to find a good example (we live in Nashik).

He finally managed to find a 2012 Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Ambition which was Central Mumbai registered (MH01). The car looks fine, and its engine feels good too, however, on seeing its RC I can find multiple mistakes.

1. The car is a 1.6 TDI Ambition, however its RC says 1.6 MPI Ambition, i.e. Petrol.
2. The car's engine capacity is given as 1798 CC which is the Octavia or the Superb I think.
3. The car's unladen weight is given as 1454 kg and RLW is 2074. I am not sure which car is 1454 kg, but the RLW of 2074 kg is for a superb.
4. The owner's name is wrongly spelt as well.

I thought the RC might be fake, but the same details are reflected on the RTO's portal for this vehicle. It seems the owner had lost his RC and had a duplicate issued because the RC says Purpose : DUP.

This makes me wonder what's happening and how can one RC have so many mistakes and whether to trust tis car or not.

Would you all please advice if you have seen any instances of so many mistakes in one RC or could there be something Fishy?

MODS: If I have posted in the wrong place, I request you to kindly move the post.

Thank you Everyone.
pareekvirendra is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 08:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How many mistakes are possible in one RC? I counted 5!

I don't know about other states, but in TN, our RTO folks are worse than nincompoop & idiosyncratic!! When we paid green tax for our Activa, they simply could not copy manufacturer as HMSI & instead wrote it as Hero Motors in the new RC!! It's a simple copy paste job!!

For my SCross, they wrote the manufacturer as Shrikumar Trailers!! I mean who the hell is Shrikumar Trailers & why would they manufacture Suzuki SCross? These jokers are fit enough to keep talking all day, munching vada & drinking tea on time & ofcourse best at undertable business!!

I tend to think they make such intentional mistakes so that, we get back & pay for rectification

Last edited by aargee : 11th September 2021 at 08:11.
aargee is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
Would you all please advice if you have seen any instances of so many mistakes in one RC or could there be something Fishy?

Surprising and hilarious at the same time. More than the RTO's incompetency, I'm amazed at the owner's carelessness.

I shudder to think what else would've went unnoticed to him over the years. Did you try using the windshield washer? He might be filling engine oil in there, and shampoo in place of engine oil. You'll probably find some petrol in the fuel tank as well. Just kidding. Run away from this car.

Last edited by self_driven : 11th September 2021 at 08:55.
self_driven is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
...The car looks fine, and its engine feels good too, however, on seeing its RC I can find multiple mistakes.

I thought the RC might be fake, but the same details are reflected on the RTO's portal for this vehicle. It seems the owner had lost his RC and had a duplicate issued because the RC says Purpose : DUP.
If the vehicle number, chassis and engine number match perfectly I wouldn't be bothered by the rest. Like others have mentioned our RTOs are incompetent (rather why blame the entity, a lot of Indians are incompetent at their jobs).

Maybe the owner was scared to even go to the RTO to get his name corrected. These days since a lot of the RTO services are moving online you should be able to update any incorrect details in your new RC relatively easier.
JithinR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:15   #5
BHPian

In RC cards, Engine displacement data error is common with two wheelers. For eg, A Classic 350 showing engine displacement as 500c. Address spelling mistakes and name misspelling are a common error in RTO. However, if you go for transfer of ownership, you will be held responsible for this. If the first Owner don't get it rectified, these errors stay forever. I don't know what happens in the case of an insurance claim.
commonman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Like Jithin says, Registration number, chassis num & engine number are the top 3 important details

Small mistakes do happen.
is the name of the owners father spelt correctly - and can you check against his aadhar card (his & his father's name)

If you buy this vehicle, then when selling the possible buyer will check your name details. Hence, the current mis-spells are a concern only for this transaction.

Generally speaking, not just RTO's, but the mis-spells happen in most government offices. especially in translation of names. And one typo cascades across to other records

However, I normally am a bit wary of duplicate RC's., unless I know the seller -- unless the seller can provide a copy of his original RC card.

Last edited by condor : 11th September 2021 at 10:52.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 12:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Like Jithin says, Registration number, chassis num & engine number are the top 3 important details
The registration number, engine number and chasis number are matching. However what concerns me is that there skoda cars have been merged into one in the RC. This makes me worry and I guess I will have to let this car go. It's too risky to take a leap of faith here. Besides, since the car is registered as petrol, and is actually a diesel, I don't think it will be able to clear PUC tests either. All in all, this car is more hassle than it's worth. I will try to convince my father to drop this car and look at alternatives.
pareekvirendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
I don't know what happens in the case of an insurance claim.
This is something that got me thinking. Will the errors in the RC affect claims in anyway ? Or are they just linked to the vehicle number and owner's name ?
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
I don't know what happens in the case of an insurance claim.
Insurance companies look for these small incorrect details to deny claims. This is especially true when claim amount is hefty.
I don’t think it is worth breaking your head over this particular car. Plus, the engine fuel type is also incorrect. RTO can demand extra amount plus some penalty if the car is indeed registered as petrol despite being a diesel, as it can be seen as an attempt to save road tax.

In all, I would give this thing a miss.
saket77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pareek - just in case you buy this, then make sure the details in your RC are all corrected. You may have to go through an agent to get this done.

Once the details are corrected, you should not have any problems. But do the checks I mentioned in my previous post.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Insurance companies look for these small incorrect details to deny claims.
Yup. They are a business. A business exists for generating profit.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 18:35   #12
BHPian

Re: How many mistakes are possible in one RC? I counted 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Pareek - just in case you buy this, then make sure the details in your RC are all corrected. You may have to go through an agent to get this done.
The way I see it, it is too much of a hassle. The car is great, but I don't think I should be walking into this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I don’t think it is worth breaking your head over this particular car. Plus, the engine fuel type is also incorrect. RTO can demand extra amount plus some penalty if the car is indeed registered as petrol despite being a diesel, as it can be seen as an attempt to save road tax.

In all, I would give this thing a miss.
I will give it a miss as well. From what I have read on this forum, Owning Skoda cars in itself is a hassle due to the service centers, however if you add these sort of issues, it is simply inviting trouble.

I will drop this car and go ahead and get a City fourth Generation.

Thank you everyone for your advise.

Last edited by pareekvirendra : 12th September 2021 at 18:36. Reason: Typo Corrected
pareekvirendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 00:19   #13
BHPian

Sharing my experiences with RC errors.

My previous car: Fiat Linea MJD had its fuel type mentioned as Electric. My car was probably the first electric car registered in India (Registration date is Dec, 2009). However, there wasn't any issue when i transferred to my name, or during insurance claims.

One mistake happened in my friend's i10. The registration date is written as January, 2010 and manufacturing date is December, 2010(instead of 2009). He now lives in Andhra and is unable to sell the TN registered car. He needs to fix this issue using the invoice, and unfortunately, he doesn't have the invoice or any other documents.

I do not have a clear idea on which errors are concerning and which errors do not matter.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 09:03   #14
BHPian

There were couple of mistakes in my car RC issued from Noida, I noticed them when I got the RC first time and got them resolved. Story does not end here they introduced new errors and now my 7 seater became 6 seater in RC. I again went ahead to fix that but now euro 4 became euro 3. I got it fixed again to euro 4 but again 7seats have become 6 seats. They lost my original file also which was found after 3 months of efforts after that I have given up now.
Anuruddhs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 09:29   #15
BHPian

My MV Agusta F4 is registered as MV Augusta on my RC. I asked them to fix it. I was told Agusta is "wrong spelling" and correct one is Augusta.

The RTO babu's logic was Mumbai Delhi Rajdhani is called August Kranti and not Agust Kranti.

Words fail me..
no_fear is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed