Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 09:42   #16
BHPian

Re: How many mistakes are possible in one RC? I counted 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
t seems the owner had lost his RC and had a duplicate issued because the RC says Purpose: DUP.
Duplicate RC doesn't change original details about the vehicle. I am pretty sure that the 1st owner was ignorant about these mistakes.

I faced a similar situation except it was for my new two-wheeler RE Thunderbird 350. Wrong details mentioned on RC were like this
Fuel type of Diesel
Seating Capacity: 01
Laden Weight: 180 KG ( while even kerb weight was 197 kg)

If we ignore other mistakes, which two Wheeler was running on diesel in 2016? RE made Taurus way back in 1980s, but it was not under production in 2016.

I was at my workplace when I found out. So my father had to visit RLA to wake them up. Finally mistakes were rectified.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 09:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am treating this as an used vehicle purchase query.

My suggestion will be, stay away from the car. I think there is something fishy here.

The RC Book has been in duplicate with so many errors. Do you trust the owner 100%, if yes, ask him to correct the RC and then negotiate the price.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:31   #18
BHPian

1. Our Ambassador Grand 2003 Model clearly says 2000DSZ (stands for diesel) but when we did FC and renewed the RC it came with a petrol for fuel when asked to correct they said its ok you dont have to worry. Frankly since it is going to be with us and we use it only for weekends and insurance is only 3rd party we did not bother.

2. My cousins Mahindra Commander has a CC capacity as 1200cc in the RC. This was a bonus for him cos insurance is way cheaper for cars with less than 1500cc. This was a commander bought from a Government agency and thats what it says in the Original RC as well. He is not intending to change since we have the same model and we pay almost 2.5 times the insurance he pays.

3. My own license which I got in the year 2000 came with my name spelt wrong , an 'e' was missing. I tried to change it but then back then the process was painstaking and they made it sound like it was my mistake. I let it be, travelled the world with it. Got International drivers license issued from the same office with correct spelling (they never even noticed the spelling mistake). Got license issued with correct spelling in a foreign country with this license as proof of knowing how to drive. 20yrs later I renewed it last year and got the right spelling on my license.

So my advice, if you know the owner or the car well and you really feel this is a good vehicle then go for it. Nobody really cares as long as engine number and chassis number matches.

If you have doubts about it then just give it a pass as this will keep bothering you.

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

1. The car is a 1.6 TDI Ambition, however its RC says 1.6 MPI Ambition, i.e. Petrol.
2. The car's engine capacity is given as 1798 CC which is the Octavia or the Superb I think.
3. The car's unladen weight is given as 1454 kg and RLW is 2074. I am not sure which car is 1454 kg, but the RLW of 2074 kg is for a superb.
4. The owner's name is wrongly spelt as well.

I thought the RC might be fake, but the same details are reflected on the RTO's portal for this vehicle. It seems the owner had lost his RC and had a duplicate issued because the RC says Purpose : DUP.
av8er is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:04   #19
BHPian

I'm surprised. These kinds of errors should not exist now I thought with users themselves have to input the details. In the case of a new car, the dealer inputs these data points. So newer cars should not have this problem. It would be nice if people also post the timeline when RTO guys made these mistakes.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I've seen how these guys print the actual RC Smartcard in an RTO office somewhere in North India and believe me, its a process that has too many opportunities for errors which the guys don't miss

First, the person who prints the card has to validate and enter details accurately, because is he swamped by the volume of entries, he tends to 'ignore' other details and verify just the Chassis number, registration number and car name against the form filled in manually (by the RTO agent at verification) against the database.

Then, any information that he may not be aware of is simply generalised and fed into the system to complete the job. There are agents pushing him to print some cards on priority (out-of-turn) so there are some keystrokes missed. In my case, they have messed up my surname, my wife's name and hypothecation details. Even my on my license, they wrote motorcycle 'without gear' back in 2006, when it should have been geared motorcycle.

Thankfully, its improving now, the Dealers themselves make sure that the names and other details are entered correctly by the customers at the time of booking.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:30   #21
BHPian

Agree with the below post.

Quote:
My suggestion will be, stay away from the car. I think there is something fishy here.

The RC Book has been in duplicate with so many errors. Do you trust the owner 100%, if yes, ask him to correct the RC and then negotiate the price.
If there is nothing fishy with the car, the current owner trying to sell it should get the RC book corrected.

What if you are stopped by a traffic cop on the road as part of some random check? I believe he would have every right to seize the vehicle and take it to the station!
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
My MV Agusta F4 is registered as MV Augusta on my RC. I asked them to fix it. I was told Agusta is "wrong spelling" and correct one is Augusta.

The RTO babu's logic was Mumbai Delhi Rajdhani is called August Kranti and not Agust Kranti.
I laughed louder than I should have 🤣

And I thought calling my EcoSport a "saloon" on my RC was about the furthest these mistakes would go.
sainyamk95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

My petrol V40 is listed as diesel with a weight of 2486 KG instead of 1486KG.

All these RTO guys are a bunch of nincompoops.
reignofchaos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 15:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Going slightly off-topic :

To bring this widespread problem under control, for past few years, dealers are required to update the vehicle information in VAHAN system at the time of sale - while applying for registration number. This data is verified and approved by the RTO staff from physical documents file - submitted by dealer. Yes, they do have authority to modify the data incase they find any discrepancy.

I bought a vehicle in 2017, and saw this process. The Sales Executive asked me to verify the details filled by him on a physical form. On that he took my signature and then handed over to the guy entering the details in VAHAN system. Moreover, I have noticed reduction in errors in RCs in recent years, so new process seems to be more effective. Still chances of error from dealer staff are still there.

A preliminary discussion was on-going to link all OEMs databases to VAHAN system. This would have ensured more end to end data control. But seems like this went on back burner due to technical challenges related to transferring data from multiple types of systems used by OEMs.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 16:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

Surprising and hilarious at the same time. More than the RTO's incompetency, I'm amazed at the owner's carelessness.
Don't think it's just carelessness, I would have ignored the same considering our RTO. It's purely to avoid the headache and not having enough time to deal with RTO BS.
This is not the first time I am hearing like this, even when a new car is launched - they don't update the database fast enough so initial batches have all such errors just to complete the process.

However if the vehicle number , VIN , vehicle color and chasis number are matching then you don't have to worry about it, it's just a piece of plastic paper having misc info about your car. Cops won't care or understand all the info anyways so you are safe as well.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 17:46   #26
BHPian

RTOs here put the most incompetent, little bit computer typing guy for filling these entries.

When I went re registration of my car, I had to sit with him alongside to correct the things. Even then he made a mistake in my father's name while looking into the Aadhar card and typing into his computer.

With these type of minor changes being done online now, it should be easy to correct without visiting the RTO..

Last edited by fordday : 13th September 2021 at 17:47. Reason: typo
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 18:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
There were couple of mistakes in my car RC issued from Noida, I noticed them when I got the RC first time and got them resolved. Story does not end here they introduced new errors and now my 7 seater became 6 seater in RC. I again went ahead to fix that but now euro 4 became euro 3. I got it fixed again to euro 4 but again 7seats have become 6 seats. They lost my original file also which was found after 3 months of efforts after that I have given up now.
Hi, could you let me know how you went about getting your car back to Euro-4 from Euro-3 ? The exact same thing has happened to my UP-16 registered car (that too 3 years AFTER I purchased it) - it was BS4 all along and then one fine day I found it has become BS3 due to some RTO slip-up.
tanayr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:16   #28
BHPian

Mine is Hyundai Verna Fluidic diesel SX(O) BS 4 model. But my RC shows it as fluidic Verna SX BS 3. The authority head in Ghaziabad used to be my friend few years back and he acknowledged those two mistakes after confirming from the file records. But he asked me to wait till completion of my car loan. As before that the car is co-owned by both me and the bank and I need application for change of RC to be countersigned by bank too, which was a tedious process.
I never had any issue during insurance claim.
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanayr View Post
Hi, could you let me know how you went about getting your car back to Euro-4 from Euro-3 ? The exact same thing has happened to my UP-16 registered car (that too 3 years AFTER I purchased it) - it was BS4 all along and then one fine day I found it has become BS3 due to some RTO slip-up.
I asked my agent for correction and he took one of the doc from papers you get with new car where euro 4 is mentioned if I remember correctly and he got it corrected in a month.
Anuruddhs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The registration number, engine number and chasis number are matching. However what concerns me is that there skoda cars have been merged into one in the RC. This makes me worry and I guess I will have to let this car go. It's too risky to take a leap of faith here. Besides, since the car is registered as petrol, and is actually a diesel, I don't think it will be able to clear PUC tests either. All in all, this car is more hassle than it's worth. I will try to convince my father to drop this car and look at alternatives.
Surprising that even fuel type has been mentioned incorrectly on the RC.
On a lighter note, hope fellow Delhi NCR folks are taking notes on how to run diesel cars for 15 years in Delhi NCR.
KuvamBansal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks