Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should current Rapid/Vento be purchased now?
Absolutely! 160 39.02%
Absolutely not! 128 31.22%
Wait to see what replacement offers before deciding 122 29.76%
Voters: 410. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 12:41   #46
BHPian

re: Should one buy a Skoda Rapid or VW Vento today?

I voted 'Absolutely.'

I was in a similar quandry a couple of months back. I purchase the Vento for the following reasons.
1. It drives beautifully
2. It is well appointed (I am not much into gizmos and hate the concept of an elaborate ICE system)
3. It drives like a dream
4. The new Vento is at least 10 months away and will be more expensive
5. It is a pleasure to drive this car
6. I got a discount of Rs.92,000. And I am hopeless at bargaining.
7. The car is a driver's car

Somehow, I can't stop talking about the way it drives. I went with a mindset that a 1-litre engine will 'just do the job.' But the way it behaves in city traffic; overtaking, handling, bumpy road behaviour - all that is top notch. Just two things could have been better.
A. The AT is not match to the DSG that I used to drive earlier. There is a good deal of lag when you start off the block.
B. One feature I feel missing is auto folding ORVMs when the vehicle is locked
travelwriter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
Considering that the Rapid and Vento replacements are just around the corner, should one consider buying either of them?

So, should one buy either of the twins currently at (relatively) lower rates (with outdated features), or wait and watch?

Before I amvoting the poll, May I request for answers for the below questions
1. Do you see to keep the new buy for a long time, meaning beyond 4-5 years?
2. What is the factor that makes you to get attracted towards the buying decision? Meaning are you someone who looks for new updates to be in the car every 3 years or you or just contended with minimal required bells and whistles? and more of engine, gearbox, suspension, seat comfort/spacing and related components guy?
3. what is your driving requirement?

To me the skoda makes sense that too the rapid because
1. The overall customer experience seems to have improved
2. You almost have 50% probability in getting addressed from Mr.Zac directly in the SM channels. It means you can find a solve or light at the end of tunnel or whatever. Point here is ownership experience will be more or less niggle free for a product that has extended stay in market and particularly you are looking to keep it long time.
3. the design still remains attractive from outside. The advantage of owning a recent car is this as it is on evolving platforms. But if the design cues are timeless as it is in Rapid, I as an individual will be OK not to look beyond.
4. The structure if i remember is 4 star rated for Rapid that is sold in India. Not sure if Skoda would want to continue the same looking at what some of the other brands that are getting sold in higher numbers and getting bigger ROI. But I will not be surprised if they continue to maintain the legacy. End of the note, the Rapid is fit and finish wise not less compared to the modern platform based cars of the competitors.

You may not want to go with Rapid only
1. if you think you will sell the car immediately. This is especially considering the new Rapid might be anytime launched in 2023-24.
2. if you are someone who wants more bells and whistles than the base model Rapid AT which is vfm considering the mechanicals alone. Personally I feel we can get used to not having the bells and whistles if we have the best of E(ngine) G(earbox) S(uspension) and related (steering setup, fuelling, space, seat comfort, etc) components.

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 16th September 2021 at 14:24. Reason: few corrections
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:00   #48
BHPian

Voted for option1. But detailed response as below

1. If you are looking for VFM cars with good manners current Rapid/Vento is a good buy. Especially considering that Kushaq/Tiguan 1.0 tsi models are pricier and not worth it IMO unless you have a good cause for a higher Ground Clearance due to the terrains where you live. By the way Rapid / Vento has decent GC and I never found it to be a problem. Some features like all window up/down and few others which were standard in Rapid / Vento are missing in the C SUVs.

2. Replacement models are sure to offer more bling and will be having updated styling, but knowing SAVW strategy it is definitely going to be pricier. Advantage will the probable availability of a more powerful 1.5 tsi engines + DSG gearbox in them.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:36   #49
BHPian

It totally depends upon your priorities. No car is perfect and there are compromises that one needs to make in one or the other thing, especially in the sub-20 lakhs segment.
If you are the type who loves driving then the Rapid/Vento are still the best bets. It gives you a communicative steering, mature suspension, potent engine and is well built. Yes you are going to miss out on a lot of modern features that today’s cars come with.
I am someone who happily drives my 6.5 years old Punto that is bereft of modern electronics (it doesn’t even have a touchscreen) but still makes me smile whenever I drive it so for me the Vento/Rapid is still the car to buy.
Since these cars have been in the market for a long time, they are decently reliable as well. Also they still look great (especially the Rapid).

Last edited by Waspune : 16th September 2021 at 15:38.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 16:42   #50
BHPian

Are you totally committed to the VAG siblings for any particular reason?

The price range has several options and some of them are new platforms as well.

If you are committed to the VAG group, wait to see for the replacements as the group presently seems to be giving the Indian market lot of importance. This, in turn, would mean products with features appealing more to the Indian clients and perhaps some new tech that can be a differentiator in the long run.
Old 16th September 2021, 16:57   #51
BHPian

As others mentioned in the forum it totally depends on your priorities and what you want out of the car.

Being an owner of the 1.0 TSI Rapid, I would for sure recommend this as of now. This is one of the older version cars (which are somehow scarce) which gives you the feel of driving with a tried and tested engine.

Obviously newer model will have more features but also higher price.

P.S. I was planning to buy a Fiat Punto Abarth in 2018. I was procrastinating with this decision like you. When I made up my mind, the car was gone from the stocks and everyone knows what happened to FCA.
Similar thing happened to Rapid TDI.

So if you like the car, have the budget and can sail through Skoda ASS, buy it ASAP.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 17:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that the Rapid and Vento replacements are just around the corner, should one consider buying either of them?

Past experience shows, companies are now better at managing stock/production as well; with that, I doubt there will be any clearance sell either, when the replacement cars show up.

The twins are considerably outdated on gizmos. The only thing pulling the crowd towards them is the new engine. Looking at the Kushaq/Taigun, the replacement twins may have better features at a premium price, with similar engine options.

So, should one buy either of the twins currently at (relatively) lower rates (with outdated features), or wait and watch?
With the Vento/Rapid, I'm getting the best turbo petrol south of 15L OTR, proven chassis with good build and safety features. I don't see any competent sedans available in this range. I will probably get one if I'm in the market for a Sedan.

At this point, we are not sure how the upcoming models will look like, their price, and their features. If you can wait and not urgently in need of a car, it might be a good idea to wait. If you don't like what you see, you may still be able to source the current-gen Vento/Rapid then.

Since you are talking about the Vento and Rapid and their next-gen versions, I assume you are looking for Sedans only. However, if you are open to c-SUVs, there are a lot more options, and the Kushaq, Taigun, XUV, etc may make more sense.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:22   #53
BHPian

Voted for absolute yes as I love this car and its design. In fact, we had a 2012 Vento 1.6 TDI bought preowned in 2013 and used it for 1,00,000 Kms and sold it off in early 2017.

Man, that car was a blast to drive, though I didn't get that opportunity to drive it as we sold it off before I learnt driving. Its build quality is way much better than our 2014 City, which I feel flimsy when compared to Vento/Rapid twins, as well as its engine. We even considered getting one in 2017 when we were looking for a new car and almost booked one but had to drop it due to some unavoidable reasons.

If I were to replace our City right now, we'll get the present Vento/Rapid TSI twins in AT guise eyes closed.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:44   #54
BHPian

I would suggest you to wait for some time mainly until the chip issue is resolved. Kushaq clearly has been struggling with the issue. And with VW teasing Vitrus sedan, what if it's another Ford like stunt trying to clear off stocks. I would suggest you to get a pre owned VAG car for now. You can work out the maintanence and running costs and then decide on buying the updated Rapid or Virtus!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 21:27   #55
BHPian

You could also consider polo tsi as it starts even lower @7.4 lacs and it’s going to stay for longer, at least 1.5-2yrs until the new generation polo arrives here. The only drawback is the lack of space in the rear bench.

Rapid and Vento are on the verge of getting discontinued but spares and service won’t be of any concern for at least next 10 yrs. If you want save a lot of bucks and are fine with less features but want the sportiest car under say 18 lacs, Rapid / Vento / Polo 1.0 TSI are the best options Period.

I own a Polo TSI 2021 and was in a similar dilemma but settled for Polo as interior isn’t particularly bad, it’s quite practical and essential features are there. Car has impeccable built and the icing on the cake has to be the 1.0 TSI engine. This car is the fastest and best handling under 15 lacs, yet with decent fuel economy.

So buy existing Rapid / Vento if you’re fine with little less flashy features and interior ; want to save 4-5 lacs ; want the sportiest car < 15-17 lacs right now.

Pls note I found Rapid to be faster and better handling than Vento, a few other websites also confirmed the same.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 05:20   #56

Quote:

Past experience shows, companies are now better at managing stock/production as well; with that, I doubt there will be any clearance sell either, when the replacement cars show up.

The twins are considerably outdated on gizmos. The only thing pulling the crowd towards them is the new engine. Looking at the Kushaq/Taigun, the replacement twins may have better features at a premium price, with similar engine options.

The Rapid will not be replaced. Zac Hollis has confirmed today on Twitter that the new sedan of Skoda will be a completely new car, and it sits above the current Rapid on the MQB AO IN platform. It’ll be revealed this year and will be sold from next year. Hence, in my opinion, One can buy a Rapid without a second thought.
Kirantoleti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 14:19   #57
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo, Vento waiting periods hit five month mark

What a demand for such decade old model cars, huh. How can VW make this possible in India, whereas GM and Ford have to exit India.
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:01   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should one buy a Skoda Rapid or VW Vento today?

Voted yes. 3 of the 4 cars I currently own are old & discontinued models. As you can tell, I don't care about the age of a product as much as I do its drive quality, engines & other aspects. As of today, the Rapid / Vento still have the most enthusiastic 1.0 turbo-petrol, solid build quality, better high speed manners than the City etc and safety (Polo is a 4-star GNCAP car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
Based on my search, Rapid's rider variants are no longer available & Vento now only comes in Highline variant thus the point of value doesn't hold true since the available models retail north of 11.5L depending on your state.
Great point. It's related to the chip shortage. Because they can only make so many cars, VW / Skoda will obviously focus on selling higher priced variants. They will also be saving chips for the Kushaq & Taigun. Once the chip supply situation improves, you can bet that the VFM Rider variant will come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
What a demand for such decade old model cars, huh. How can VW make this possible in India, whereas GM and Ford have to exit India.
Not demand. Both sedans are now flops (Vento does barely 100 - 200 cars / month). It's the chip shortage + them prioritising the newer crossovers for production.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:08   #59
Team-BHP Support

There are 2 major downsides to overcome. If you can overcome those the older cars are far more superior than what manufacturers are doling out today in the name of new cars.

1. The Rapid/Vento are not very spacious at the rear. If you are ok with the lesser space then it's the biggest disadvantage overcome.

2. The Rapid/Vento interiors are beginning to show their age. The dash design, the overall layout and controls are now a generation old.

Other than these 2 negatives the benefits far outweigh the cons.

1. The Rapid/Vento are solidly built. Just compare them to the Kushaq and you will see Rapid is half a notch better.

2. The fit and finish and quality is much better than the cost cutting in the newer cars. The Kushaq has some appalling cost cutting when it comes to plastics, seats, roof liner, power windows etc. I'm pretty sure they will be worse off over time than the Rapid.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 10:48   #60
BHPian

Apologies for this noob query - how does the rapid 1.0 compare against the benchmark fiesta 1.6 in steering and handling?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks