Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should current Rapid/Vento be purchased now?
Absolutely! 160 39.02%
Absolutely not! 128 31.22%
Wait to see what replacement offers before deciding 122 29.76%
Voters: 410. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Should one buy a Skoda Rapid or VW Vento today?

Considering that the Rapid and Vento replacements are just around the corner, should one consider buying either of them?

Past experience shows, companies are now better at managing stock/production as well; with that, I doubt there will be any clearance sell either, when the replacement cars show up.

The twins are considerably outdated on gizmos. The only thing pulling the crowd towards them is the new engine. Looking at the Kushaq/Taigun, the replacement twins may have better features at a premium price, with similar engine options.

So, should one buy either of the twins currently at (relatively) lower rates (with outdated features), or wait and watch?
akshye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Should one buy a Skoda Rapid or VW Vento today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
The twins are considerably outdated on gizmos. The only thing pulling the crowd towards them is the new engine. Looking at the Kushaq/Taigun, the replacement twins may have better features at a premium price, with similar engine options.

So, should one buy either of the twins currently at (relatively) lower rates (with outdated features), or wait and watch?
These Twins are out-dated, agreed.
But, they still drive well.
And, most importantly, they are reliable.

Lastly, the replacement VAG Sedans are rumored to be much more expensive than the existing offerings.
abhishek46 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's a very subjective answer.

If my dad were given the choice again, he'd probably go ahead and buy it. He was very satisfied from the first go and I'm sure the 1.0 TSi will give him the same vibes.

But if it's someone who likes having a lot of features/gizmos and don't care much about the driving experience, they'd probably go for the City or Verna. Coming from someone who has owned a Vento for 5 years, the only reason you buy these cars today are:

- Driving Pleasure
- Safety (again subject to comparison with others)
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 12:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Base variants - Yes (TSI engine, 6 speed gear box, and auto AC). True value for money cars but you should not spend more than 10L for it.
Latheesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 12:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd actually wait for the replacement.

The 1.0 TSI and 6 speed manual/ TC are guaranteed in the new car too. My only concern with the new model would be the initial niggles. Else it's an upgrade in every way with more space guaranteed.

If you're on a tight budget, the current Vento/ Rapid is a very good buy. If you can extend the budget, the playground becomes more competitive with the upcoming replacement and the new XUV 7OO.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:17   #6
BHPian

Voted for option 3.
Better to wait. They recently updated the engines. May be they will add the gizmo bells are whistles in the new upgrade. To be honest, no other sedan in that price range offers you the kind the driving experience.
In a parallel universe there is no replacement really. Even if volumes are super low in India, these models are bare minimum commuter cars which sell in huge numbers in other markets. Spare parts should not be an issue.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:29   #7
BHPian

Having been in this boat recently, I would say that these cars are outdated by current standards. And before some members say that driving pleasure is only achievable in these cars, I would like to say that driving pleasure is a combination of multiple things - including good to have features and plush interiors, and not just of steering feel and thud-closing doors. I for one, loved the EPS on my i20 since it made city driving easy. For highways, I drove it enough to know exactly how much to move it for where I want to be. I would definitely like a stiff suspension but most brands today have researched enough to make their cars decent in terms of driving feel.

I did take my wife to see the Vento, and she sat in it for a whole lot of 30 seconds before she said the interior looks bad (The weird shade of brownish-grey for the interiors). This is when we had driven to the VW dealership in a Nano.

Reliability is another concern, VW/ Skoda service is a gamble at most places and at the very least, expensive.

Also adding the cost part - VW Vento AT is only available in the Highline trim at around 14.xx, Rapid AT Ambition is 13.xx, these cars would do well if they played in the 10-11 OTR territory, but at these price points, they don't seem to justify.

Last edited by Tapish : 13th September 2021 at 12:31. Reason: Adding price comparison
Tapish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 12:59   #8
BHPian

The issue is both cars are at least 13L+ OTR for the decent variants, and the dealers are not too keen to sell them either. Color choice is also severely limited.

I think the Rapid Rider Plus was a fantastic buy, but it is no longer available.
Goldenboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:08   #9

Quote:
It depends on how urgently you need to buy a new sedan. Ideally you should wait for the new launches which are round the corner but bear in mind the Virtus (Vento replacement) will be significantly more expensive than the existing vento and rapid. The Manual with the 1.0 TSI is a safe bet, the new torque converter though touted to be more reliable than the DSG is still in its early days. Hence if an automatic gearbox isn’t a must for you then the TSI Manual is a good bet. You can easily upgrade the infotainment system later on and get apple car play and android auto.
rahulmuk07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 16:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
This is the exact situation I am in. Here are my 2 cents.

1) How long do you want to keep the vehicle 7-8 years? Then yes should be considered as an buy option but try to wait for festive or year end discounts. Spare parts availability is not a issue and hopefully Volkswagen will continue to exist for next decade.

2) less than 5 years? Resale value will take a huge hit. To absorb the impact again better to wait for year end discounts. Safe option is to opt for a new platform and new products.

3) important to know is are you willing to pay premium for next generation products? If you have that kind of budget then it’s just few months away why not be future proof for next couple of years than getting stuck with a decade old product.

It’s your personal choice based on factors above.

For me I don’t like to keep a product nearing end of warranty period and would like to have better resale value. These means i am willing to plonk my money on next generation vehicles.

This also might be the last decade of ICE before electric becomes mainstream so why not experience new engines.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 17:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I see no harm in buying one today, especially the Rapid.

It is priced very well, are still brilliant to drive compared to newer gen peers, are safe, practical and Skoda has some good warranty plans offering decent peace of mind.

Yes, they are dated and could do with a few more features; but fundamentally they are sound vehicles. At the price of a base-mid Rapid, sedan options are restricted for sub-4M sedans, or similarly dated options such as the old City, Ciaz & S-Cross. It is only the higher end variants that are in closer proximity to newer sedans such as the new City & Verna.

The new gen will fix the features and dated design, but it will come at a premium pricing similar to Verna if not the new City.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 17:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering that the Rapid and Vento replacements are just around the corner
This corner doesn't quite seem to have a straight!

If you like the Rapid/Vento - and they are fairly contemporary despite their age - go right ahead. The global next gen Polo/Rapid/Vento haven't/won't come to India and what will (a replacement, not next gen), will be on an India-specific platform.

Also, chip shortage/pandemic - you never know how that impacts such mega plans.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 18:08   #13

I am in the same confusion. Looking at Kushaq issues, need to wait for Taigun to see how it performs on initial niggles. And then decide between Taigun AT or Vento AT.

However, I still feel Vento is pure value for money if you are going to keep the car longer and considering VAG's 2.0 program, I believe the top-end model Taigun/Virtus would touch 20L easily.

Note: We already owned a Vento TDI for last 9 years and now a Vento 1.0 TSI MT and any day feel there is no match to it's driving dynamics.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2021 at 09:22.
Anis Ahmed is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th September 2021, 19:48   #14
BHPian

Am in a similar conundrum, but it seems like there is no / very limited stock availability for the Ambition & Onyx AT variants for the Rapid and a few pieces available for the Style / Montecarlo as per the Skoda dealers in Bangalore when I had gone to TD the Kushaq a few weeks back. Now, if I compare the perfomance of the Kushaq vs Rapid, there is a significant difference in the acceleration and handling, along with the sedans having a much bigger boot space. The touch and feel of the cabin is also better in the sedans.
The smile plastered on my face at the end of the Rapid's TD though says it all about how competent these twins still are. If only VAG would have kept them up to date with the market.
I am not sure paying 15-17 lacs OTR for the top end variants for Rapid and Vento makes sense though.
Also, the market has shifted to crossovers now unfortunately, so the resale value of any sedan will be quite low. So if you like the cars for the driving dynamics and can get a good deal, I would say go for it as most of the other cars in this segment are missing the FTD quotient.
Grease_Monkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 20:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that the Rapid and Vento replacements are just around the corner, should one consider buying either of them?
A definite yes, from my side.
I own Skoda Rapid and ownership experience has been amazing (period). Reasons as to why I strongly suggest :-
  • PQ25 platform is proven and can be relied upon for safety as against MQB-A0-IN which is said to be ‘modified’ MQB-A0.
  • Good built inside out.
  • Mods and loads of mod options. You don’t like it or miss it, simply replace it or add it.
  • It is O-L-D yet no other car in the segment feels as tight around corners or as FTD when compared to Skoda Rapid (VW Vento is slightly softer sprung).
  • That 1.0L TSi is a gem of an engine. Still need power? Remapping is a few minutes job (gains are good for tiny engine).
GautamJ is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks