Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 19:40   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Delhi-NCR BHPians: How much lower did you sell your 10 / 15 year old car for?

Despite the used car market being on a roll due to the new car shortage, I am hearing some crazy stories of 10 year (diesel) / 15 year (petrol) cars going for peanuts in Delhi-NCR.

Just three questions for Delhi-NCR BHPians.

1. How much below fair market value did you sell your 10 / 15 year old car for?

2. Wasn't there an option to sell your car in neighbouring states for a higher price? This is something I'm most curious about. Why don't more people do this? Aren't there brokers & car dealers who would make this easy?

3. How easy or difficult was it to sell your 9 - 10 year old diesel car?
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Delhi-NCR BHPians: How much lower did you sell your 10 / 15 year old car for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Despite the used car market being on a roll due to the new car shortage, I am hearing some crazy stories of 10 year (diesel) / 15 year (petrol) cars going for peanuts in Delhi-NCR.

2. Wasn't there an option to sell your car in neighbouring states for a higher price? This is something I'm most curious about. Why don't more people do this? Aren't there brokers & car dealers who would make this easy?

GTO, I recently sold a 13.5 year old i10- 1.1 liter Era variant in Delhi. Exchanged it at a Hyundai showroom for a Santro. IDV was 1.35 lakh, while most sites showed an exchange value of 1-1.1 lakh- give or take.

Final exchange price that we could negotiate was around 80-85k, along with other consumer offers. The car condition was average, with small dents but had it been any other location, we would definitely have got more.

We might have got a slightly higher number at other user car enterprises like cardekho or cars24, but my father in law was adamant in driving into the showroom in the old car, and driving out in the new one

We did not explore other state options.

Hope this helps.
achyutaghosh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Delhi-NCR BHPians: How much lower did you sell your 10 / 15 year old car for?

Quote:

I'm not too sure on this but I think I read somewhere that the RTOs in NCR do not issue an NOC in the last year of registration i.e as soon as a diesel car enters it's 10th year and a petrol car it's 15th year of registration making these cars mostly worthless since their usable life is just a year or lesser.

I figure you can still transfer other cars which are relatively newer but the hassle involved and the repayment of road tax in other states might negate or reduce the price advantage to the owner.
porsche_guy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 20:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Diesel cars are easily being sold in delhi NCR , recently my two friends have sold the swift diesel which has ran over 1 lakh kms and has entered the 10th year as well.
Safari_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 20:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:

I think the local car dealers now have tie ups with car dealers of other states and push these 10-15 years old cars to them, but they keep some commission. And then the car needs to be re-registered in that state which adds to the expense. But if you can sell to someone directly from that state you can get better rate. One Dealer told me that a lot of luxury cars from Delhi are sent to southern states. They have tie-ups in TN and Karnataka and get better rates than northern states.

Couple of years back when I was selling my Father-in-laws 14 year old Alto (44K ODO), I was getting really low quotes of less than 40K for it from car dealers. So I put a post on OLX and sold it for 75K to someone from Punjab.

Recently my cousin sold his 9.5 years old (1 Lakh + ODO) Diesel Corolla in Punjab for 4.5 Lakhs. The reason for such good rate was because the car was registered in Punjab. Had it been a Delhi registered car, he would have got around 3 Lakhs.
Route66 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 21:03   #6
BHPian

9.5 year old Audi A6 2.7 TDI 60k kms done sold for 4.75 lacs back in Jan
aditya_911 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 21:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I sold 3 cars over 2 years (October 2018 - the Swift, February 2019 - the Scorpio, and September 2020 - the Thar).

If by fair market value you mean what OBV or OLX Auto valuation shows, then I'd say the algorithm of these sites is skewed to generating a higher value by about 20-25%, compared to what prices I received in the real world. On the other hand, once the word is out that one is selling one's car, unscrupulous car dealers (and even big ones like Cars24) will constantly flood one with calls and messages making low offers, until one is sick of it all and lets the car go for a ridiculous price rather than be hounded by these callers. As a matter of policy, I refuse to deal with car dealers, and have got reasonably better prices than what they offered - but nowhere close to what OBV / OLX Auto etc. evaluate.
Quote:
Of the 3 cars I sold, 2 were sold to individuals who were out of state (AS & PB) - and I did not need to use the services of any broker / agent to get the NOC (Form 28) from the RTOs in Delhi. The Thar was sold to someone in Delhi, and I simply initiated the sale process online and let the buyer complete the rest himself (initiating the process / applying for the NOC technically absolves me of all ownership responsibilities from the time of sale).
Quote:
Since no individual owner living in Delhi-NCR will buy a nearly-10-year-old diesel or nearly-15-year-old petrol, it becomes a challenge to locate a buyer from another state, who will be buying your vehicle on trust (we Delhiites do have a nasty reputation for selling off lemon cars with a bit of spit & polish). The Swift was sold without BHPian chiranjitp ever looking at it physically (all he saw was a walkaround video). I was looking for a buyer in the PB / RJ region, but wasn't expecting someone from AS to buy it (I'm so glad he did).

The Scorpio was physically TD'ed by the buyer's representative in Delhi, and after 1-2 km he told me he had not driven a better maintained Scorpio than mine - and the deal was completed almost immediately. The Thar had 2 more years of life left but had only run ~20k km, and was in pristine condition, and someone wanted to transfer it to Uttarakhand where he planned to move (the Covid effect).

Of all the cars, I lost the least money on the Thar - I'd bought it for an unmentionably mouth-watering price, so selling it after 3 years meant I did not lose much. The Swift, after almost 13 years, sold at ~25% of its purchase price, and the Scorpio for ~30% of what I paid for it new, after 9.4 years of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I'm not too sure on this but I think I read somewhere that the RTOs in NCR do not issue an NOC in the last year of registration i.e as soon as a diesel car enters it's 10th year and a petrol car it's 15th year of registration making these cars mostly worthless since their usable life is just a year or lesser.
That is not true. If your vehicle is BS-3, they want to know whether the specific RTO you are taking the NOC for, allows registration of BS3 vehicles or not. If the other RTO doesn't allow BS-3, the Delhi RTOs will reject your NOC application.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th September 2021 at 21:45.
SS-Traveller is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 00:04   #8
BHPian

Well i'm in a pickle currently with my DL registered 525d turning 10 on 2nd January '22 and am currently being offered 25-30% less than the fair value (imo) by a few dealers who i reached out to.

I had planned to exchange it for a X5 or M340 but don't want to splurge on a 'want' in these uncertain times. Trying to re-register it in CH now but am being told that the agent 'fees' for all formalities will be ~60k on top of the 8% of IDV officially charged by Chandigarh RTO, apparently it'll sell for almost 2x of the current price in CH once re-registered()

To add salt to injury - the car's EGR valve requires replacement and some other suspension work which will add up to a somewhat substantial bill even at my FNG. Guess i have no other option but to bear the repair and re-registration expenses as selling the car as is will not even fetch me enough to make a downpayment on a new D segment car....Am just appalled, as i'm sure other NCR folks in the same boat would be, that this sorcery in the name of pollution control is making so many ppl part with their prized possessions for peanuts literally; specially when the basis of it is unscientific and benefits only the automakers and RTO agents. At-least give us a refund of the road tax on pro-rata basis or base such bans on through scientific studies rationalizing the logic behind the same. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by 991.2GT3 : 14th September 2021 at 00:09.
991.2GT3 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 01:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

For anyone trying to sell their close to "termination" cars in Delhi , get in touch with Rajasthan used car dealers. That's still the promised land of sorts to ensure that your car is not scrapped. Have them arrange buyer details, and your can get an noc from your respective Rto. I believe the entire RJ state is eligible for getting an noc in Delhi still.
mayankk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 02:34   #10
BHPian

Just a noob question, Is there any reliable place to hunt for such a car besides olx?
Old 14th September 2021, 12:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_911 View Post
9.5 year old Audi A6 2.7 TDI 60k kms done sold for 4.75 lacs back in Jan
Wow, that's peanuts!

And here I am, searching for a well loved and looked after German sedan from Delhi to fit within my modest little budget.

Delhi brethren reading this thread- as much as I hate to ask you to part with your prized possessions dirt cheap, please do think of me if any of you would like to sell a 520/525/530d to a fellow forum member. I will do my best to make sure the goodwill pays off in the long run.
drunk.monkey is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 13:20   #12
BHPian

As much as I find the prices of used cars alluring, most of the cars posted on olx by dealers have rigged odometers. There is no way a 10+ year old 2nd /3rd owner car has run only 55-65k. It's a big scam and a joke if you are not gullible enough to believe it.

Direct sale by owners have dried up due to issues in buyers getting name transfers done. One car I sold was driven around without name transfer for 3-4 years. These days I sell to reputed dealers or buyers who are ready to take the RC after I transfer ownership myself.
Old 14th September 2021, 13:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991.2GT3 View Post
Trying to re-register it in CH now but am being told that the agent 'fees' for all formalities will be ~60k on top of the 8% of IDV officially charged by Chandigarh RTO, apparently it'll sell for almost 2x of the current price in CH once re-registered()
Agent fees shouldn't be this much! If you want I can make a few calls and see if it can be done in much saner price? At most it would be 5000(agent fees)+ noc fees+ 8% calculated on pro rata basis.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:05   #14
BHPian

As far as petrol cars are concerned, almost all of them get scrapped at the end of 15 years. This is what I have observed in my circles at least. This is the only hassle free option because you simply cannot get an NOC to transfer the car to somebody else or to another state. This not only applies to DL registered cars, but also applies to cars registered in other NCR cities as well. I notice that people generally do not get rid of their old petrol cars in the 13th or 14th year. Instead, most of them simply go ahead and scrap it once the car touches 15.
Very few cars get sold without papers in areas around Delhi. If you travel to areas that fall just outside NCR, you would notice a few DL registered old cars pottering about, but this is a very risky proposition for the original owner; since the car is still in their name, any accidents/crimes/mishaps would make them liable.

However, for 10 year old diesel cars, the situation is better. If you manage to sell the car just before it reaches 10 years of age, i.e in it's 8th or 9th year, you could get a satisfactory resale value as well. This is especially true for Luxury vehicles or for popular UVs like the Innova. The buyers are mostly those people who have RTO contacts and can hence manage the NOC, transfer etc. without much of a hassle. Delhi-NCR diesel cars are also quite popular in states that have a scarcity of good used cars. For instance, somebody I knew sold their 2012 Innova last year. The buyer was from Arunachal Pradesh, and said that it was worth buying from Delhi because in his state, it is difficult to find cars if you are looking for a particular model or for a car in good shape. Thus, most people end up selling their diesel cars, either through dealers or directly.

However, even with diesel cars, you would find a few people scrapping their cars. This happens when people are unable to find a buyer at all or when people do not want to get into the hassles of paper work. As an example, I heard of a BMW 730D being scrapped because it made no sense to transfer it anywhere else; The road tax to be paid upon transfer to some other state would be a significant chunk of money over and above the amount the buyer would pay for the car. Add to this the expensive spares that the 10 year old car needed, nobody bought it in its 9th year. Eventually, the car reached 10 years of age, making it impossible to transfer it elsewhere or drive legally in Delhi, and the poor car ended up being cut up.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 14th September 2021 at 14:10.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:53   #15
BHPian

We sold our 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara (10.5 year old 2.4L AT with 133k odo) earlier this year for 2.75L which was just under what the market value seems to be on OLX and other similar online listings. Ideally as a direct sale/ outside NCR it might have sold for ~50-75k.

However the car was already listed as a second owner due to ownership changing from company owned to personally owned. Adding to that, since I sold it to a used car dealer, 2.75L was the best I could negotiate without the process turning into a 5 year plan . The dealer himself said that a probable destination for the car would be outside the state so Haryana/ Punjab/ Rajasthan but it seems to have remained in Delhi itself as per the registration information.

However from what I can tell I didn't suffer a significant discount as a few examples further south seem to be listed for similar money. As this was my first personally organised sale, I am not really sure about how well I did and if I got massively shortchanged. Would love some feedback/guidance on my salesmanship and if I let the car go for peanuts.

Last edited by AamodB : 14th September 2021 at 14:54.
AamodB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks