Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2007, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Hyundai phases out Accent CRDi, Viva models

Hyundai Motor India has phased out the Accent CRDi (diesel) variant and the Viva (petrol and diesel) model. A company spokesperson said only the GLE petrol variant would now represent the Accent range. The Accent CRDi, launched in October 2002, was the first car in the mid-size segment to feature the CRDi (Common Rail Direct Injection) diesel technology; the Viva model (petrol launched in August 2002, diesel in January 2004) was the first sports notchback vehicle in the mid-size segment.
This was the second batch of variants in the Accent range that were discontinued. Earlier, the company had discontinued GTX-Tornado, GLX and the GLS model.
The GTX model came with a 1.6-litre engine and safety features such as ABS (Anti-Brake Locking System).
The phase-out of old models would help remove production constraints on the roll-out of new and promising models such as Getz and Verna.
Hyundai recently introduced a revamped Getz with a smaller 1.1-litre petrol engine against the earlier 1.3 litre engine.
The new engine (eligible for tax sops) has received a positive response with a waiting period of one to two months.
The change has also pleased motoring critics. From March 2007, it is the latest Hyundai model to be exported with a target of 20,000 units per year for the next five years. Forty thousand units will be exported in the first fiscal, said senior officials.
It will be exported mainly to the European markets as it meets all their safety and emission standards.
With the success of Verna (especially the diesel variant) in the domestic market, the company recently launched the top of the line CRDi SRX variant.
It comes with new features such as keyless entry with burglar alarm, and instrumentation upgrade to display information such as outside temperature and distance to empty for the fuel that is an industry first in its segment.
The new models have enabled the company to reduce the variants in the Accent range to the GLE model, which continues to sell 700-800 units a month.
According to senior officials, the GLE model is ideal for the debutant buyer in the mid-size segment and is primarily well suited for the fleet market.
Company officials said exports of the Accent model to Morocco, Algeria, Sri Lanka and other countries will continue.

The Hindu Business Line : Hyundai phases out Accent CRDi, Viva models
Old 18th May 2007, 11:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

With the amount of ads during the cricket world gave a feeling that hyundai was trying to bring back the accent brand to life.Advertising during the world cup must have been such a costly affair and they would have been better served if they had concentrated on some other brand instead of the accent.

That said it does not make sense to continue the higher variants of the accent,since they are priced so close to the verna.But I feel they should have left one diesel option for the accent but with a price-cut .
Old 18th May 2007, 12:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... they must have seen some merit in it. But otherwise my personal feeling is that Hyundai could have cashed in on a segment that it was not able to earlier. They should have continued with the CRDi version of the car and priced it to compete with the Indigos and Logans. It would have garnered a good amount of sale that way. Their Verna CRDi is definitely not for everyone. Now with their strategy they have left the field open for the Tatas to reap the benefits with their fantastically priced Indigo DiCOR LS (5.25Lacs).
Old 18th May 2007, 12:08   #4
BHPian

... and I don't know how much their GLE going to sell in future.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With the success of Verna (especially the diesel variant) in the domestic market, the company recently launched the top of the line CRDi SRX variant.
It comes with new features such as keyless entry with burglar alarm, and instrumentation upgrade to display information such as outside temperature and distance to empty for the fuel that is an industry first in its segment.
Doesnt this come on the Fiesta? I do not think this is a segment first.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why is HMI's website down?.For the past two days actually!.That surprises me a little!.....
Old 18th May 2007, 12:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know that they could have reduced the Accent's pricing any further to take on the Indigos/Logans.

Or perhaps they simply were uninterested in selling Accents at a razor thin margin and then having to concentrate on new ways to increase its sales
Old 18th May 2007, 12:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Doesnt this come on the Fiesta? I do not think this is a segment first.
Thats what everyone likes to claim. later they would add 'one of the first cars to have this feature in this segment'.
Old 18th May 2007, 13:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
With the amount of ads during the cricket world gave a feeling that hyundai was trying to bring back the accent brand to life.
Turned out the mantra they were reciting in that ad were for closure ceremony!
Old 18th May 2007, 13:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

If i remember right, even during the World Cup campaign, they focussed mainly on the GLE version which would still continue. The ads from the dealers in the local newspapers also state the availability of the GLE.

Presence of the GLE is essential to address the entry level sedan segment.
Old 18th May 2007, 14:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Why is HMI's website down?.For the past two days actually!.That surprises me a little!.....
Try again .. Its working !
Old 18th May 2007, 14:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Presence of the GLE is essential to address the entry level sedan segment.

The Accent has little impact on the entry-level sedan segment. The Esteem sells 2500 numbers a month compared to the Accent's 700-800.

This is more of Hyundai not wanting to be seen as weak in any segment.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:11   #13
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
It was working fine when I checked yesterday! And its working fine right now too. Could have been a DNS failure at your end or your ISP's end.

regards

Oops, sorry. Didnt see that Navdeep had already addressed it.

Last edited by HSV : 18th May 2007 at 16:13.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:28   #14
rkg
Senior - BHPian

may be hyundai wants to reduce the price of verna diesel
Old 18th May 2007, 16:37   #15
BHPian

That would be a brilliant idea, I mean reducing the price of Verna (diesel), the car is like a rocket. They should start making the engines here, if they do they can reduce the prices further

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks