Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 08:47   #1
BHPian

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here

My parents and I were en route to Coimbatore from Chennai by car. It was around 2pm, when the air raid sirens in my stomach blared furiously. I was so engrossed with driving on my favourite highways after two years that I'd forgotten it was lunch time.

We were on the outskirts of Salem when we spotted a nice restaurant off the highway. I parked my car and rushed in to grab a bite.

After a quick but sumptuous lunch, we headed back to the parking lot, where we were greeted by this mother of all coincidences:

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210915_14360802.jpeg

I mean, what are the odds ! Not two, not three, but eight Hyundai cars all parked next to each other by complete happenstance! Mine's the third car from the left, the Wine Red Grand i10.

There is another interesting automotive coincidence in my life - my neighbour and I both own a Breeze Blue Ritz VDi that share the same registration series and are fitted with the same Sony Xplod head unit !

Have you witnessed any such bizzare automotive coincidences? Please do share them here.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turbojc : 16th September 2021 at 11:36.
Turbojc is offline   (113) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here

Lovely thread! Thanks for sharing. Couple of neat ones from my side:

- Hyundai planned the Alcazar embargo to end exactly 1 day before the Kushaq review. This is absolute war in the segment - Hyundai wanted to show it can offer a 7-seater at a price comparable to Skoda's 4 seater.

- By sheer coincidence, the Team-BHP Trivia thread (On Team-BHP's 16th birthday, some fun & interesting trivia on our community) ended up having approximately the same number of trivia points as the thread that inspired it (automotive trivia in India). Wasn't planned at all. I just started writing & researching the same way I did that thread. Such are the incredible coincidences of life!

- When taking the Marazzo review live, I posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the same Saturday that I drove the Marazzo, I’d also driven a tricked out Nexon. Both rides left me feeling proud of our 2 homegrown car companies. They’ve come a long way .
Later, both cars came out with superb crash test results on the same date!

- The Ciaz & 4th-gen City's derrières were scarily similar, and it was a complete coincidence as there were no design leaks 2 - 4 years ahead of launch (which is when car designs are finalised):
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-maruticiaz06.jpg

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-newhondacity06.jpg

- For the Team-BHP Mod Meet @ Pawna (Pics & Video : A Team-BHP Moderator Weekend @ Pawna (MH)), the Mumbai & Bangalore Teams reached the designated spot at Lonavla within 10 minutes of each other. In the picture are Rehaan, Suhaas307, Ajmat, Vid6639, GTO, F50, Flying Spur & Manson. Mumbai is 2 hours away from this spot, while Bangalore is like 6 - 7 times that! The timing wasn't planned at all. In fact, IIRC, Manson took us on a last minute detour to Bandra to pick something up:
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20120310-17.22.03-custom.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2021 at 09:43.
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here

Nice thread and not everyone would notice such scenes.

The photos below were my from office parking lot just few days before I sold my Figo(with the aux lamps). On one occasion, it was flanked by two other Figo's and on another occasion, a line of similar colored cars on one side.

Another very nice coincidence was when my childhood and good friend, also a senior Team Bhpian,(SandeepMohan) bought his Fiat Tjet a year and a half after I bought my Figo and his car number was 7774 and mine was 7775. The RTO was the same too, except his registration series was the next in line after mine. 'MM' and 'MP'.
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-ca818f28d72b4358ae79e612beeb6328.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 17th September 2021 at 09:56.
tharian is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:04   #4
BHPian

Back in 1995, we had to travel to Bangalore in a rented KL registered Ambassador with number 3737. After traveling all night, reached Bangalore in the morning to find us behind a Premier Padmini in same colour and number 3737 (different state and series of registration) !

I can still picturize following that Padmini for abut a km !
prasanna_indaje is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

When I bought my w222 S350 in 2015, the rear bumper bothered me a lot since it had no exhaust tips like the S500. The dealership refuse to sell me a S500 bumper as it was not a part that could be supplied to my VIN.

In a general chat with a friend who had bought the S500 launch edition, he mentioned that he’s put the AMG kit. I promptly asked where is your rear bumper and he replied it’s lying like junk in my garage please take it! However it was white in color and my car was black.

Doesn’t end there, the dealership that delayed my delivery by several weeks so I gave them a bad rating. They called me saying they would like to make it up to me, I said please repaint and fit the S500 bumper I have got to my S350. They agreed and it fit like a glove! All this coincidently happened in a matter of a few days, within a week of delivery I had my rear bumper swapped for free to exactly what I wanted.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th September 2021 at 10:24.
Sahil is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Clicked this photo last week. All Tata generations at one location. Tata Indica, Tata Nano, Tata Hexa and Tata Tiago.
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-2d99d1913fd0445187b77d7a3c3d9a74.jpg  

tushky is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:45   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, I just remembered the mother of all coincidences! So my best bud had a Yamaha RX100 circa 1994. Rode his bike, got tempted and I decided to get one a year later in 1995. We go to pick up my RX100 on his RX100 to Bombay Cycle & Motor, Opera House. We see my shiny new bike parked at the front, ready for delivery. While I am signing the paperwork, he is sitting on my RX100 and fiddling around. During which, he inserts his key into the ignition console of my RX100. Voila - the ignition accepts it and it turns !

For a moment there, we thought it was a faulty console. But then we look at the keys of our respective motorcycles and guess what, both of them read the serial number 5016 . What are the odds of two best friends ending up with the same key for their bikes?

Till date, if we end up doing something similar, we mutter "5016" to each other.
GTO is offline   (220) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

I always purchase vehicles dedicating to my parents, wife or children. When I purchased my first bike(Suzuki samurai in 2001), I dedicated it to my mother and it's number was KAXXXX P 1021. P is the starting letter of my mother name and 1021 was my father's birth date (21st October)

Again when we purchased car(Santro in 2008), coincidentally it had KA XXXX K 2710. K is starting letter of my father's name and 27th October was my mom's birthdate.

Both bike and car are not with us now and neither my parents.

Last edited by gkveda : 17th September 2021 at 11:58.
gkveda is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 13:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this mild form of arithomania qualifies as an automotive coincidence, but here goes:-
When I purchased our Dzire back in 2010 from Chowgule, Pune, I got the registration number MH 12 XX 7694. To my surprise, 3 more families had lined up to take delivery of their cars on the same day and their numbers were MH 12 XX 7696, 7698, 7700 - all with a difference of 2 digits

My current Vento's registration ends with 4508. There is another Vento next door (building) with the number 4509, with the same Night Blue shade of color!
JoshMachine is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:44   #10
BHPian

Don’t know if what happened with us was a coincidence or a wish come true.

Since our 1st car, the Maruti 800 came home on December 1993, I was discussing with dad if we should apply for our Hexa’s number to be a 1993 one. But we had selected a delivery date, and didn’t want delays and I am not a big fan of paying the govt money they don’t deserve.

Fast forward to date of registration and in the evening we received the sms from the RTO.

Guess what? 8493 is the number. We were so surprised. 8+4=12 = December & 93 to round off. Not bad for getting something for free. Nice little trivia for us within the family.

And all our 3 cars till date have been invoiced in the month of December. That’s another coincidence.
TROOPER is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Now talking about coincidence parked in parallel are three EcoSports, the white one upgraded motor pre face-lift, the blue one is the face-lifted model and lastly mine the original Mars Red, all Diesel Titaniums and of course they look the same from their backs.

This picture is from our annual get-together of our close set of friends and this was circa 2019 December at Eagle-eye resort Chikmagalur.

Of course the fact that we know that we have the same cars is not a surprise but the fact that out of 8 friends who have other cars as well, the exact 3 of us brought the very same cars by pure coincidence and that too two originated from Mangalore and me from Bangalore without any major prior discussion or deliberately planning to have a EcoSport reunion.

Slight off topic, the place is superb and the Bhadra Tiger reserve nearby is a must do especially the jungle safari and this thread really brought back memories of our reunion once again
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20181222_124127.jpg  

girishglg is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:26   #12
BHPian

I was returning to Bangalore from a good long drive in TN and I stopped for a break near Krishnagiri ,my attention went to the car parked to next to mine and noticed the registration number which is in sequence to mine.

Of all the places that these two cars can be on that given moment of time they chose to get parked next each other - I believe biggest coincidence I have encountered (even mathematically!)
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-0751038019844275af4659a0c5f85ccf.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2021 at 13:13. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Thilak29 is online now   (87) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

My first vehicle was a Honda Dio back in college and my registration number was the same as my college admission number!
deathwalkr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Grand i10's registration number is "HR 26 CE XXXX" and last year, I saw another Grand i10 in my society outside my building with "HR 26 DE XXXX". Yes, same four digits.

The car belongs to someone in next building and I regularly see it now. The other difference is my car is not white.
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-gi10.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 18:16   #15
BHPian

So I had been owning a 2011 Jazz with a random registration number 6561. Later when we added a Creta to our garage in 2017, we wanted the same number and got 6561 in the series which was running then.

In early 2020, I got the opportunity to fulfill my dream of owning an Ambassador and picked up a 1979 Mark 4 from 600+ km away. I was extremely happy with what I found and started using her as my daily driver. A couple of months later, my Jazz & Amby were parked next to each other and then it struck me - the Amby's number was the exact reverse of the Jazz's! 1656/6561! Mother of all automotive coincidences personally!

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-psx_20210917_180910.jpg
Geo_Ipe is online now   (64) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks