Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 18:38   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh my eyes. Radiation-like damage to the retina. What is this Tata?

I was under the impression that TML had acquired Jaguar the car company. Looking at the white dashboard - now I suspect they acquire
d Jaquar the bath fittings company! The dashboard really has a gilded premium bathroom vibe to it!

And - apparently its 1Lakh (or more) over the current top trim Adventure persona. Add taxes and more insurance premium over that. This much more, just for ventilated seats effectively? Sorry Tata - but asking customers for more money, because you forgot to include features at launch - is rather amusing.
Your first paragraph described my feelings perfectly.

I cannot even begin to comprehend the thought process that might have gone into this and how and why it cleared the Management's approval. How can you mess up the #dark Harrier/ Safari in such a fashion? Unless this has been done intentionally to initiate a conversation around the new features.[/list]
Jattitude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 19:08   #62
BHPian

Take a Dark version Safari and put make up on it. The marble reminds me of a star hotel bathroom and the gold accents while shining on the black look kind of cheesy instead of classy.
The extra features are quite good but the looks I hope will grow on people and thankfully only the occupants see the marble.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Wireless charger, air purifier, wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity will be offered in XZA+ and Adventure variant too
Oh No! I hate this

It is true and the variant spec sheet is updated in the website. All XZ variants get the feature addition.

I am going to take delivery of the Safari in a couple of weeks and the car is already there. I will be missing the updates. Gonna drop a note to Tata asking if wireless Android auto could be offered via a software update.
Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-screenshot_20210918203046.png
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:07   #64
BHPian

I personally feel the gold accents and the marble trim are over the top, loud and gaudy. However sales wise I know I am in the minority. The majority of the customers will love the gaudy gold and black/white, marble etc. The white muslin shirt, gold chain wearing 'gentleman' always loves lots of glitz and gild. I guess Tata has done it's research well.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 22:01   #65
BHPian

Here are a couple of thoughts that linger in my head:

1) The gold theme looks overdone and distasteful in my eyes. Well might look better in person but the images simply kill the well done design otherwise. Even the new dashboard finish is a nightmare in the photos. I just hope it's kept subtle like that in the Nexon.

2) It is a segment first and a real welcome to see the second row ventilated seats. With those massive sunroofs the ventilated seats will be a big welcome. Tata should advertise this prominently. They have good Ad agency folks working for them, they should cash on it.

3) Introduction of wireless charging is now a basic expectation and Tata should have caught that bus long ago.

4) What Tata really needs to do is get rid of that god awful touchscreen for a better unit. The competition has moved on and the touch screen is one of the features Indian buyers focus on while short listing a new car.

5) As many have called out earlier it would have been ideal if Tata had rolled out the new features in non-gold variants too.

6) IMHO the new age Safari is nothing but a crossover. It has lost the ladder on frame and there is no 4X4. Calling it an SUV is not justified at all. If not in all variants, atleast in the adventure persona should have got the 4X4 to give it the off roading capability and OG blood. Colouring some panels black and giving it a different shade is no adventure. These guys already had the 4X4 assembly line from the Hexa days, I presume it could have been reused.

7) Captain seats in the second row for 6S variants need to be enhanced in terms of appeal. I really love what Hyundai did here with the Alcazar. Looks and feels very premium.
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 00:14   #66
BHPian

A 4x4 variant would make a lot of sense to many "Real Safari" enthusiasts than a wireless charger and some interior bling. Moreover, the ventilated seats would be a welcome addition to other variants too.
Kairalee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 00:32   #67
BHPian

Tata is experimenting - no harm in changing a few plastic panels to gauge the market response. It's definitely cringeworthy , but might result in an Alcantara edition in future which could be 'drool'.

What's apparent though is that the ICE DEFINITELY needs an upgrade !
Old 19th September 2021, 10:24   #68
BHPian

I quite like the black and gold colour, however the interiors of the white one are far better with that marble look. Is it real marble or just painted polycarbonate?
Old 19th September 2021, 13:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
A 4x4 variant would make a lot of sense to many "Real Safari" enthusiasts than a wireless charger and some interior bling. Moreover, the ventilated seats would be a welcome addition to other variants too.
TATA should consider launching a SAFARI 4×4 with the bare basic ammenties (power steering,power windows, AC, stereo like the good'ol days) and get rid off the electronic wizardries. This way TATA motors would be able to price it well and please it's loyalists. I hope that the Safari gets a redesigned front end in the future that will make it stand out even more (I don't know why they left the front end untouched).
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 14:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

I'm really sceptical about new technologies till Japanese adopt these. For the latter adopt these when these have matured & there's public acceptance & demand. Till that time they would conveniently play the reliability card. For instance they are amongst the last ones to offer interactive android/ iOS powered connected media tech in their vehicles & have only started offering something recently in overpriced flagships.

Tata has been plagued with certain issues in past (that have always been blown up in proportion/ magnitude by Japanese preferring media making people play to the tune) & it would have been rather better for them to take care of after sales service issues that actually help win confidence of customers (including prospective ones).

To be honest I don't mind paying for a vehicle that's safe (rated by agency), has an acceptable infotainment system (that's not boggy & I'm more immersed in handling it than enjoying the drive) & after sales experience is good to great across all service centres. For me driving a vehicle is an extension of personal time & I would rather not be thinking about buggy infotainment unit &/ or the ventilated seats not cooling my bum (I don't have ventilated seats at office despite being owner).

They can take a leaf from Mahindra's XUV500 launch strategy & assign few Safaris/ Harriers to every sales persons, over warranty period, who can liaise with service centres, & deal with customers in a professional manner, than someone with grease stains (no disrespect to anyone's work) deal with a polished guy sitting in lounge.

Coming to this Gold edition, I believe this is overdone & could have been better left to aftermarket accessories shop. I hope this doesn't trickle down to Harriers & Altrozs in few months.
Old 19th September 2021, 21:27   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
TATA should consider launching a SAFARI 4×4 with the bare basic ammenties (power steering,power windows, AC, stereo like the good'ol days) and get rid off the electronic wizardries. This way TATA motors would be able to price it well and please it's loyalists..
Loyalists? How many loyalists will actually buy that kind of a bare bone Tata Safari? If Tata had launched that kind of a Safari in 2021, it would have met it's grave by now.

Yet again I say, don't get stuck with the name. We must admit and agree that this is just a 7 seater variant of the Harrier and nothing more.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:35   #72
BHPian

I don't think there is any wrong in that if you ask me. An optional (but not completely devoid of basic stuffs) 4×4 model is not a bad thing at all. I am not talking about the entire Safari range being stripped off but an optional model. The land rover discovery platform on which it is based can definitely accommodate a 4×4 with no problem if they wish to do it (you never know) People who likes capabilities over niceties will definitely queue up for it and there is no doubt in that. Haven't you witnessed the success of Thar recently that has been doing so well inspite of being what it is (a no nonsense off-roader). That kind of crowd is small but will keep the ethos of Safari alive. The Safari nameplate does evoke a sense of adventure (for that a 4×4 is needed) IMO rather than being a vehicle used for the weekend shopping mall trip. I am sure they have taken a right decision that does make sense to their business but do you think a Safari with 4×4 with all the basic essentials a bad idea? A well priced 4×4 with 7 seats has a potential to disrupt the market. I was just thinking about possibilities and that doesn't mean that they are gonna launch one right away.
Old 20th September 2021, 04:14   #73
BHPian

Pratap bose specifically said that the Harrier and Safari were not built with 4*4 in mind and there was no market to justify launching a 4*4 option.

We can crave for it but it isn't happening.
Old 20th September 2021, 19:07   #74
BHPian

I think 3 months down the line Tata will launch the Safari in rose gold, ruby red, and platinum purple editions.
Because since Pratap left Tata for M&M, and now that XUV700 has literally disrupted the market, Tata is left with no other choice other than to hire a designer from Tanishq, where the sole purpose of the designer is to make the Safari more glittery and sparkle like never before.

Seriously Tata - Adventure persona and gold edition - like the opposite poles? Tata will never come out of old-school mediocre thoughts and ideas?

And being known for the legacy of niggles - especially the flagship cars of Tata - Harrie and Safari, it's just a matter of time (probably a few weeks) when the wireless functions and the ventilated seats don't work. Added to the woes is the outdated and mediocre infotainment system.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 20th September 2021 at 19:11.
Old 24th September 2021, 11:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

How does the Tata Safari Gold Edition look in person?

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114222.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114229.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114235.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114241.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114252.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114254.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114258.jpg

Tata Safari Gold Edition launched at ₹21.89 Lakh-20210924_114301.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th September 2021 at 12:00.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed