Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 11:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Style AT variant to get 6 airbags & TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Looks like there is a price bump expected for these additions else Zac would have already said it.
If there is a bump of 50k, I am sure most current style owners would have gone for it , considering it's less than 3% OTR difference.

It would be interesting to see if Skoda offers a retrofit option for existing users. Curtain airbags shouldn't be impossible to install if sensor wiring exists already.
Old 18th September 2021, 13:47   #17
BHPian

The tiff between Skoda and the first batch owners reminds me of the tiff RE owners had over the limited edition air force themed Classic.

It is indeed unfair for the first batch owners who have the right to feel shortchanged. But then, many people rush in to buy cars at 'introductory prices' to beat the later rise in price. Clearly, such calls cut at both ends.

However, for the betterment of the product, Skoda should offer retro-fitting 6 airbags in their sold models. Airbags is a safety feature and not any mere accessory. Additional safety features need to be promoted and any owner wanting to retrofit it should be encouraged.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:27   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
The tiff between Skoda and the first batch owners reminds me of the tiff RE owners had over the limited edition air force themed Classic.
Sorry. Totally different scenario here.

Pegasus was a limited edition - supposed to be restricted to only 250 units in the Indian market, thereby asking owners to pay a hefty 65k premium over the regular 500cc bike to get one.

One month later, Royal Enfield got greedy and launched a 350cc with the same theme - called as the Classic Signals 350. Basically totally against the original promise of a 250 number limited edition run.

Skoda is doing nothing of that sort!

They are just bringing out an expected update, though earlier than few people expected. Skoda didn't claim there would never be a 6 airbag version - in fact, IIRC - Zac Hollis had even mentioned that it won't be available from launch, but higher variants are always being considered.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th September 2021 at 17:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post

However, for the betterment of the product, Skoda should offer retro-fitting 6 airbags in their sold models. Airbags is a safety feature and not any mere accessory. Additional safety features need to be promoted and any owner wanting to retrofit it should be encouraged.
Completely agree. Skoda and VW have the opportunity to make safety the biggest differential between their twins and the Korean twins. 6 airbags and ESC are like gold standards in safety internationally and the US has mandated them for all cars long ago. The possibility of a side impact and/or rollovers in India is much higher considering our unruly traffic and rampant tendancy of people not to heed red lights at intersections.

Also it is a highly visual feature that can be explained to even lay people very easily. My sincere advise to Skoda - Introduce 6 airbags in as many variants as possible. Then build a miniature working model that shows the ESC at work and the deployment of the side and curtain airbags on side impact and roll-over respectively in the showrooms, demonstrate that to every prospective buyer and see how the sales come in!

Customers value safety at an innate level but it does not surface in the buying process unless it is called specifically and the product/feature differences and real-world consequences are emphasized. The decision of including ESC from the base trim itself in the Kushaq is laudable, and considering the price positioning, Skoda should include 6 airbags in Ambition and above variants to differentiate itself from the Koreans and even the MG Astor (the latter may also confine 6 airbags to the top spec variant?).

ADAS and other autonomous safety features are great on paper but my bet is that people will turn all these off after a couple of days, given the chaotic traffic in India. You do not want the car slamming it's brakes on you every time the numerous chaps (and ladies) peddling attachable sun curtains at our traffic signals darts across your car, just as the signal changes to green and you start moving forward On the other hand, ESP and 6 airbags are always present and can save your life!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th September 2021 at 10:19.
84.monsoon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 13:51   #20
BHPian

I booked my 1.5 TSI DSG without even driving it. Got it allotted for delivery on Aug 20th. Got to test drive the car on 16th August. Was impressed by the driving dynamics. But, put my booking on hold because

1. the top end didnt offer 6 airbags,
2. the E25 petrol roll out & what would be its effect on the engine.

Raised the same concerns with my sales Executive who said no new features will be added in the foreseeable future. Now, as I am sure that skoda will be adding those 6 airbags my only question that remains is how will the E25 affect the present day petrol engines being sold ( all manufacturers have an E10 rating now). Dear members please guide me regarding this so that I can go ahead with my purchase.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd September 2021 at 12:53. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 19th September 2021, 16:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malim View Post
As damage control goes this is almost certainly too little too late.
Skoda what, started selling the Kushaq two months prior (if not 3)? Is it really too late or you just feel so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
As much as I appreciate this, it still makes me feel that the initial owner will feel seriously short charged now. Wonder what kept them from throwing in the 6 airbags initially itself.
Possibly they're doing it now due to the feedback they may be receiving, since launch, for the lack of 6 airbags on the 1.5 TSI DSG. I initially suspected they might have done it to allow the VW Taigun DSG to have some space and not compete, but maybe some strategies have changed since then (one can only assume)?

-----------

I hope Skoda has thought well and hard about any digital instrument cockpit long and hard already, for its debut on Kushaq (if at all, like the Taigun). Or Skoda VW India 2.0 is going to start with more disappointments and bitter after-taste for the new owners than unanticipated success and glory.

But Customers demand free upgrades/ updates to their cars due to newer features is not feasible. I can, understand the angst of the new customers. Not even sure though, how many people think that retrofitting of airbags is 'not difficult', to demand it on their purchased cars.
No manufacturer signs any contract that they will not release any variant, at any point of time. Anyone can go legal, but may not find much recourse, with it (generally, unless specific automotive laws exist in India, which I suspect exist in India).

Last edited by k_ajay : 19th September 2021 at 17:23. Reason: adding response to another post.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 16:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Kushaq Style AT variant with 6 airbags and TPMS deliveries to begin in late October. Price announcement next week.

Skoda Kushaq Style AT variant to get 6 airbags & TPMS-smartselect_20210919165519_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 21:56   #23
BHPian

Knock Knock Maruti! Are you listening? When can we expect 6 airbags in your line up, maybe in 2030?

Maruti has already lost significant market share to Korean twins and the new entrant MG will soon sell Astor like hot cakes. If this attitude is going to continue then Maruti is going to lose more share.

Tata which was a disaster years ago is now a tough competitor for Maruti, how can Maruti just ignore these things. Tata and MG are going to lead the EV segment and Maruti has no clue on how to develop a proper EV, even when partnered with Toyota.
Old 20th September 2021, 20:37   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamThat View Post
Good to see Skoda responding fast. First for the EPC issue and then bringing in the fully loaded car with 6 air bags.

Was a bit reluctant for lack of 6 airbags with 1.5 DSG. Now, it ticks most of points, except for service centre presence around my place and of course reliability. Hopefully, these will be addressed by seemingly pro-active Skoda top management.

Planning to go for a test drive of Kushaq 1.5 DSG in next couple of days.
Test driven 1L Manual. Due to paucity of time couldn't try the 1.5 DSG, may be sometime in the next few days.

Few observations:
- Nice to drive.
- Ergonomics are almost spot on.
- One point noticed is that the car can roll back even with hand brake on. Kushaq owners or those who have checked it may please correct me. It was surprise for me when the sales guy said, you need to keep the car in first gear, when you are parking on a climbing slope. I guess it isn't the same with earlier Skoda cars - hand brake on is good enough. Correct me if Im wrong here.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st September 2021 at 05:22. Reason: More appropriate words used
Old 21st September 2021, 12:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
If there is a bump of 50k
Skoda Auto India will be equipping the automatic Style variants with six airbags (both 1.0L and 1.5L) and TPMS at an incremental cost of approximately Rs. 40,000.

Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Style AT with additional features is priced at Rs. 16.20 lakh.

Kushaq 1.5 Style AT with the additional features is priced at Rs. 18 lakh.

Deliveries for the new variants will begin in October.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st September 2021 at 13:00.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:24   #26
BHPian

But will it take me from point A to point B without any issues or will it stay planted on the ground Jokes apart, its a good addition
bimmer1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda Auto India will be equipping the automatic Style variants with six airbags (both 1.0L and 1.5L) and TPMS at an incremental cost of approximately Rs. 40,000.

Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Style AT with additional features is priced at Rs. 16.20 lakh.

Kushaq 1.5 Style AT with the additional features is priced at Rs. 18 lakh.

Deliveries for the new variants will begin in October.

Source
Has been done to death but I simply can not digest these prices. I got my Marazzo in Feb20 at the price Skoda is pricing the 1.5 Style AT for. Understand that it is far more loaded with features but the value proposition of cars has simply pivoted on a totally different axis now.
Am holding on to my car for as many years as possible.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 20:52   #28
Team-BHP Support

A couple of points that a few people would have missed -

Style 1.0 MT is priced at 14.59 lakhs. Now with this update, the Style 1.0 AT matches it in features and is priced at 16.2 lakhs. So the premium for that 6 speed-torque converter transmission alone over the MT is 1.6 lakhs ex-showroom

Interestingly - 1.0 Ambiton AT costs only 1.4 lakhs (14.19 - 12.79L) over the 1.0 MT. Skoda charging an additional 20k premium for the automatic on the Style trim, as compared to Ambition.

Style 1.5 MT is priced at 16.19 lakhs, and Style 1.5 DSG is priced at 18 lakhs. So the premium for that DQ200 transmission over the MT is 1.8 lakhs ex-showroom.

As earlier - 1.5 TSi MT carries a premium of 1.6 lakhs over the 1.0 TSI MT!

As earlier - 1.5 TSI DSG carries a premium of 1.8 lakhs over the 1.0 TSI AT.

With this update - Kushaq 1.5 DSG is the highest priced variant in a compact SUV (at least till the Taigun comes out). Creta range tops out at 17.87 lakhs for the 1.4 Turbo SX(O) DCT and Seltos range tops out at 17.54 for the GTX+ 1.4 Turbo DCT. So 13k more than the top-end Creta and 46k more than the top-end Seltos.

Will be interesting where the Astor fits in compared to these, because the Hector 1.5 Turbo CVT/DCT Sharp variant is priced only 70k more than the Kushaq, at Rs 18.69 lakhs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st September 2021 at 21:01.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As earlier - 1.5 TSi MT carries a premium of 1.6 lakhs over the 1.0 TSI MT!

As earlier - 1.5 TSI DSG carries a premium of 1.8 lakhs over the 1.0 TSI AT.
In effect what can be inferred is that it is harder to include the missing features in the 1.5 and hence the higher price differential?
Old 21st September 2021, 23:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Style 1.5 MT is priced at 16.19 lakhs, and Style 1.5 DSG is priced at 18 lakhs. So the premium for that DQ200 transmission over the MT is 1.8 lakhs ex-showroom.
Make that 3.8 for the eventuality of it failing and needing a replacement
porsche_guy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks