Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2004, 12:08   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aha, you have to get your Sierra the next time that team-bhp meets up. How many km do you have covered on your car? I told you about my friends turbo...Its amazing the way his Sierra has held up even after 90000+ kms - so much so that I had a round trip to Nasik and back for business...and in the process covered 500 kms. Not a single hiccup from the Turbo, and it returned an average of 11kpl.

GTO
Old 1st April 2004, 15:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO my Sierra's done 70k odd kms. Do take a spin next time we meet...Its a non Turbo though

Cheers
Old 18th December 2004, 12:26   #18
BHPian

Hell sure I want to seee it on the roads again. I had posted one thread recently about sierra. Can u go and tell this to the TATAs, dippy? Im not joking.
Old 21st December 2004, 17:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

The Sierra Turbo was available in 4 x 4 version.

Rajesh
Alleppey, Kerala
Old 21st December 2004, 17:50   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have seen only one Sierra Turbo 4x4, and that belonged to an employee of Tata's. Can anyone confirm if it was available to regular customers? And at what premium?

Frankly with the ground clearance, turbo lag and on-road kinda design..it would be a waste to have a 4x4 in the Sierra.

Unless you need wet traction that is...

GTO
Old 21st December 2004, 19:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

GTO The Sierra Turbo 4x4 was indeed available to the general public. Infact they used to have half page ads in the newspapers big time. 4x4 Sierras were the last to come out before production stopped. Too late IMO

Dippy
Old 21st December 2004, 19:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

i think a stretched Sierra with a 4WD ,some mods to the front and rear bumper,wider footwear and most of all with the yet to be launched 3liter Crdi wud be an Endeavour-beater.

wat say guys
Old 20th November 2012, 21:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?

One of the first pictures of the Tata Sierra (then named Tata Sport) in the media!

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-picture-551.jpg

I think Tata should revive the Sierra, with new contemporary looks and a sporty CRDI engine that is bound to create a new sensation in the SUV market.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th November 2012 at 21:09.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 22:11   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Time have changed and when the Sierra first came out there were no better or worse practical or impractical options at that point of time.

Just as the Gypsy can't do numbers at this point of time with it's 2+ 1 rear door format nor can the Sierra. There would not be sufficent takers for the format and if we make it a 4 + 1 door vehicle the essence itself will be lost.

It was just a part of the TATA learning curve and it did serve it's purpose rather well but now I guess it should just be RIP for it.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

I believe the Sierra name still has a lot of street cred. Considering the options available at the time a huge generation of Indian car lovers admired at the Sierra's physical presence but (fortunately) never got to experience it first hand.

If made now it shouldn't be a big old school three door SUV on a ladder chassis; instead the name can be revived for Tata's alternative to the likes of Ecosports and Dusters.

A sub 4 meter monocoque pseudo SUV with a fuel efficient diesel plus an attractive price tag and a 'Sierra' badge is a very good recipe. Such a Sierra will instantly garner an 'SUV' tag saving the marketing dept. a lot of time and money.

Tata will have to move now, only then at their pace can we see a 2030 launch!!

Last edited by shortbread : 20th November 2012 at 22:24.
Old 20th November 2012, 23:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

What Tata must do, is relaunch the Sierra with a new CRDI/Dicor engine, producing atleast 150bhp and 35kgm of torque. Keep the weight down to about 1.5-1.7 tons. Keep the car a 4-5 seater with enough boot space. Retain the high stance and large ground clearance.

Load it with ESP, ABS, Electronic shift 4x4, may be even an autobox, and give decent interiors from the new Storme.

Add some flair with xenons and electronic gizmos like auto wipers/headlamps etc. Retain the huge non opening rear glass area.

Come on Tata, make a nice looking 4x4, price it well and show the EcoSports and the Dusters how to make a real SUV.
Old 20th November 2012, 23:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

There are no chances that Tata would Sierra back, but something similar based on first gen Freelander would be just fine. Even the dimensions seem to be similar.

Last edited by agspins : 21st November 2012 at 00:07.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

I mean how difficult it is for Tata's to relaunch Sierra? The engine and drive train from the Safari 2.2. Chassis like the original from the Sumo. Body panels can be a reworked Xenon front end with the original back end of the Sierra.
Only new components would be the electrical, the interiors and some exterior detailing to modernize the whole car.
This concept is quickly scalable in to production and Tata can really price it well, below 9lac OTR.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 09:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I mean how difficult it is for Tata's to relaunch Sierra? The engine and drive train from the Safari 2.2. Chassis like the original from the Sumo. Body panels can be a reworked Xenon front end with the original back end of the Sierra.
Only new components would be the electrical, the interiors and some exterior detailing to modernize the whole car.
This concept is quickly scalable in to production and Tata can really price it well, below 9lac OTR.
Below 9Lac OTR . Only if motor companies took our say in the pricing decision. But Tata can surely come up with a compact SUV ala Duster type and name it the Sierra. I too think that name still has the punch, only the vehicle design should be from scratch just keeping the rear glass area.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Below 9Lac OTR . Only if motor companies took our say in the pricing decision. But Tata can surely come up with a compact SUV ala Duster type and name it the Sierra. I too think that name still has the punch, only the vehicle design should be from scratch just keeping the rear glass area.
If the vehicle is designed from scratch, it is bound to be costly. Only way to maintain low prices is to re use existing part inventory as I said earlier. As far as I see it, the old Sierra is still quite contemporary to look at, only minor tweaks are needed to bring it to match new gen SUV looks. If Tata is serious about increasing sales, a re launched modernized Sierra at about 9lac OTR is the best way to go.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks