Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 09:54   #31
BHPian

re: Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Below 9Lac OTR . Only if motor companies took our say in the pricing decision. But Tata can surely come up with a compact SUV ala Duster type and name it the Sierra. I too think that name still has the punch, only the vehicle design should be from scratch just keeping the rear glass area.
+1! Would love to see more competition for the Duster!

N.A Sierra has been in my cousins family for something over 12 years now and has clogged more than 4 lac KM. Recently some engine work was performed and yet the car packs a lot of punch!

How I wish something that can match Sierra's character can be launched again.

Sierra was well ahead of its time. Had it been launched now or a couple fo years back, compact SUV's would have been biting the dust already!

TATA, please give lesser mortals like me to experience the Sierra, just one more time!

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2012, 10:10   #32
BHPian

Sierra was one of my favorite's during its days. A relaunch now would be a good idea, with a bit modernization in the design and some gadgets thrown in.
Not designing it from the scratch, keeping the dimensions similar, using available materials and competitive pricing can get tata wonders.
Keep it a 2+3 seating with a decent boot space, good engine and a 4X4, a good recipe for success.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think the other best option apart from using the existing materials is to dump the compact Sumo version project to compete with Quanto which was doing the rounds in another thread, and bring out the Sierra project in this segment. Duster 4x4 is no where in sight and hence, this one with a 4x4 along with the CR4 or the MJD engine would be a better bet than plonking the 2.2 Dicor which would require ladder on frame chassis thus pushing the overall cost upwards.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:28   #34
BHPian

I support the idea of re launching Tata Sierra , I saw a pic of mini Aria (not sure if its on T-BHP or else where) and it looked ugly in every possible angle .

A new Sierra with the features of a modern car will be a good welcome in the SUV segment.

I would like to see it the road for sure .
Old 21st November 2012, 10:36   #35
gemi_kk

Aah... my strings were touched when i saw this thread in the begining.

Aaaaahhhhh.... Sierra, This is one of the good looking no nonsense SUV. however a 4 door version would be more beautiful with a chrome strip on the boot rather than a bland rear would be georgeous.

It could give some rest to those Quanto's, Dusters and some ecosporters which are currently on a Hot rod. Some design elements must have to be changed along with some exceptional interiors. and ofcourse it should be reliable.

Old 21st November 2012, 10:39   #36
BHPian

Yes.
Of-Course
Definitely.
Double Positive. I am already in the queue
With a 4WD, sub-4 mtr, 100+ bhp, and in the range of 6-8 lakhs.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:02   #37
BHPian

I learned to drive on this beast. It was indeed way ahead of its time. It had power steering, power brakes, power windows, tilt steering, Coil springs at the rear (still one of the most comfortable), puddle lamps, standard tacho meter, 5 gears etc... Wow how I wish I didn't sell it when I want to Australia for studies.

Do I want it back in new Avatar? may be No ! We are so spoiled by the new, reliable, not so expensive cars. If Tata cant match it they will end up spoiling a legendary name (what happened to sumo).

Here are two Pics of my x sierra.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra-2.jpg  

Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?-sierra-1.jpg  

Old 21st November 2012, 11:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Oh Sierra, have wonderful memories of it. Use to get a ride by my classmate in college who owned one. He was a auto enthusiast to the core and maintained it very well.

The best part is that I was the navigator during our drive on Hosur road and had developed a code language when to pass a truck etc and we used to safely negotiate and zoom around the traffic.

Though by the last year of college, he has a major accident and had to rebuild the front of the car completely and later he sold it off due to the high maintenance and reliability issues.

An interesting point made by GTO-
Quote:

The Sierra is yet available, albeit on full down payment only.
Wonder how can such an old product be available still on demand?

Well should Sierra be reintroduced, YES sir in a newer platform and mechanicals.

Suggest Mods to add a poll to this with a Yes and No.

Last edited by girishglg : 21st November 2012 at 11:33.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:35   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sierra is definitely an ICON and Tata can connect back with the youth if they relaunch it.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Same Sierra body shell, but modern manufacturing processes, so better build quality.
Shortened hydro-form chassis as used in the Safari Storme.
Same engine as in current Safari/Storme.
4X4 option.

I feel this could be a good product spec, for a niche lifestyle vehicle.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
An interesting point made by GTO-

Wonder how can such an old product be available still on demand?

Well should Sierra be reintroduced, YES sir in a newer platform and mechanicals.
Dude, that post by GTO is over eight years ago (Mar 2004)!
Extremely improbable that the Sierra is still in production, down payment or otherwise!

Have to agree with you on the Sierra having large amounts of street cred and personality - those chaps at Tata need to carry it forward to a modern iteration: a compact SUV with good ground clearance, 4 doors with elements of the old Sierra styling carried into a swanky new avatar. And most importantly - improve the reliability and quality to current standards. Would give the Duster a good run for the money.

As I see it - my Duster is perhaps the closest to the old Sierra that I had several years ago. So that space is very much open to competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I mean how difficult it is for Tata's to relaunch Sierra? The engine and drive train from the Safari 2.2. Chassis like the original from the Sumo. Body panels can be a reworked Xenon front end with the original back end of the Sierra.
Only new components would be the electrical, the interiors and some exterior detailing to modernize the whole car.
This concept is quickly scalable in to production...
The Sumo is actually the 'son' of Sierra - under the skin, it shares a whole lot of components and its chassis is derived from the Sierra. The early version Sumos and the late model NA Sierra had a lot of things in common under the skin, especially in the engine bay and front suspension.

Although there always was demand in automobile forums and enthusiasts to revive the Sierra and Tata had been showcasing follow-on models to the Sierra as concepts at various automobile exhibitions in Delhi in the late 90s, they somehow never got around to it for reasons best known to them. So they may have squandered yet another opportunity.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 21st November 2012 at 12:09.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 12:45   #42
BHPian

IMO Tata should concentrate on the current state of affairs of their cars namely quality, reliability and after sales. Launching new models is always good but a new model on a bad infrastructure is nothing short of disaster. They should really try to learn from Mahindra on how to sell. For all its problems the XUV still has a waiting list, in all fairness though Mahindra is really trying hard to iron the kinks. But the point is the market will take a product of you as long as it is sure that you will be behind the product and you are actively taking steps in the right direction.
Tata sadly does not portray that image and with the whole Fiat walking away thing more and more people came of the impression that because of Tata's bad handling Fiat suffered. I don't know who's fault it really is but one gets the idea.

Now back to the Sierra, it was a lovely vehicle and I used to be driven around it when I was young and remember it was fun, but my uncle used to always complain of something or the other failing or having to replace. It was quite popular too, for some weird reason I have seen a lot of Sierra's in the UK, don't know if they actually were on sale there or were imports. They can re release it in the duster segment but they really have to change a lot of aspects of the car to make it relevant in today's market.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2012, 12:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

As long as they don't 'estilofy' the Sierra, I'd love to see it return with a new gen engine and better build quality.

A 4x2 variant at close to Duster's price with a good feature list should be good enough to get the masses. Most people would be using it in cities or highways which doesn't really need a 4x4 and that can be a made to order model. They have proved with Manza how they can provide a more than decent feature list when compared to competition. To add more glass area, they can think of giving a sunroof option too. That would be the icing in the cake

Sierra came at a time when most people were interested in rolling down the windows instead of switching on the AC, and thats where the large glass area design would not have digested with some of the masses. These days, most windows are as good as fixed, and people rarely drive without the AC in hot sun.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?

A new Dicor/Varicor 2.2 engine with all attached plumbing comes for about 2.5 lacs. The 4x4 transfer case, gearbox, drive train comes for about 1.5 lac. Sumo chassis is about 20 k. Sum total about 4.5 lacs on the outer. Add a Sierra body shell for about 10 k.
Repainting, installation, upholsery, fitting etc for about 2 lacs. In a total for about 6.5 lacs one can create a brand new, higher powered 4x4 Sierra.
I am not sure how will it be registered though.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:44   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A new Dicor/Varicor 2.2 engine with all attached plumbing comes for about 2.5 lacs. The 4x4 transfer case, gearbox, drive train comes for about 1.5 lac. Sumo chassis is about 20 k. Sum total about 4.5 lacs on the outer. Add a Sierra body shell for about 10 k.
Repainting, installation, upholsery, fitting etc for about 2 lacs. In a total for about 6.5 lacs one can create a brand new, higher powered 4x4 Sierra.
I am not sure how will it be registered though.
How do you buy a 'new' 2.2 Dicor engine? Does TATA sell it as such?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks