Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 15:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford India MD Anurag Mehrotra has quit the company | EDIT, joins Tata Motors

Do you think Kia allows the local India operations to take a call? Of course you need to present to the HQ and take approvals. What is presented is most important. And this presentation takes into account the current market scenario, insights, trends etc. Ecosport was a runaway success, and the writing on the wall was clear; 'Indians, due to worsening roads and infrastructure (flooded roads/potholes/unscientific humps) etc are veering towards SUVs. SUVs were also aspirational to the Indian middle class'. Here was Ford who defined the segment, who created a category - and yet launches hatches and sedans in quick succession. That was crazy. Ecosport should have been followed with a smaller sized SUV and one larger. That's all it would take. Ford, overseas is known for their pick-up trucks and has a butch image. Did they launch a single mini-pickup? What about engines? Were they rocking that boat? IKON came with a push-rod when the market was galloping towards advanced engines. Anyways, my point is that they needed to simply capitalize on the Ecosport, Ecosport & Ecosport. Finito! Their job would have been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
but in my years of experience in a foreign MNC, these kind of calls are very rarely left to the 'local management'

Last edited by Sebring : 28th September 2021 at 15:11.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 15:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford India MD Anurag Mehrotra has quit the company | EDIT, joins Tata Motors

I know it’s a bit off topic but still related to ford and it’s native country. Will Indian’s have any confidence towards US car markers, if any in future, sets up their store in india? I for one, cannot really trust the US car / bike makers lethargic approach towards Indian consumers or the market.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 16:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like some people want to pin the blame on one person and surely the man at the top of the pyramid takes the fall because it is anyways a part of the job responsibilities at that level. Deliver or perish is typical of the American system and I don't think anything is wrong with that.

However, I don't think any one person was responsible for the ultimate decision of Ford to stop manufacturing in India. The reasons are many and that includes some that are of the company's own making and some that are beyond their control.

I think Anurag was responsible for some of Ford's good sales/marketing initiatives in the past. Good luck to him.

P.S: I wonder how good it'll be if people subjected their elected government representatives to the same level of scrutiny that they subject Ford India/Anurag to.
kiku007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I know it’s a bit off topic but still related to ford and it’s native country. Will Indian’s have any confidence towards US car markers, if any in future, sets up their store in india? I for one, cannot really trust the US car / bike makers lethargic approach towards Indian consumers or the market.
I would not neglect a brand, just because of its US origin. Just my view: both GM and Ford had offered good products to the market (Beat, Cruze, Fiesta, Figo, Endeavor,
Ecosport, Aspire, etc) at one point in time. Ideally we should try to derive the best out of available options. So, if a brand from US comes to India with a competent, rightly priced product, I will give it a try.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 23:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
but in my years of experience in a foreign MNC, these kind of calls are very rarely left to the 'local management'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Do you think Kia allows the local India operations to take a call? Of course you need to present to the HQ and take approvals. What is presented is most important.
American companies are a different forest altogether. I have seen similar incidents where the local leadership was made scapegoats for failures, especially due to high-headedness, playing deaf of those sitting in the American HQs.

Typically, my experience has been that American companies want to play only in the glamourous part of the business (read marketing, corporate liaisons, etc.) and never want to work on the clumsier parts like sales development, service, BTL activities, etc. I consider any market success of these companies as may be an anomaly due to some enthusiastic and hopeful local leaders dyeing that phase.
JReacher13 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:09   #21
BHPian

On 01 Oct. 2019 Ford's 'Go Further, Rise Together' JV with Mahindra was announced by Mr. Ford himself through a video but for breaking the news of distress or 'restructuring', Ford's management chose Mr. Anurag and he was put in front of the world through the video. In just 2 weeks post this announcement, Ford's management announced the transitioning will be done by another director Mr. Bala. In my opinion, Ford's Global management lacks clarity and have taken the decision of 'restructuring' in a haste with no planning - how hard could it be to select a single person and have him make the announcement as well as lead the charge of 'restructuring' all the way till June 2022?

Ideally just like the JV announcement, Mr. Ford should have done the 'restructuring' announcement himself on 9th Sept. with a clarity on 'Transitioning Officer' since the company bears his family's name which hangs in the balance and not anyone else's who have done the announcement in the US (Mr. Jim Farley) or those who have done it in India. If he can go gaga about investment in Blue Oval City, he should have taken the onus upon himself to present the announcement of 'restructuring' the second largest operations outside of the US. I am sure his message would have given more weight and confidence to all the stakeholders alike - be it owners, Ford employees or their channel partners like dealers and suppliers.

End of the day, it seems Ford Vs Ferrari was nothing more than a work of fiction as these announcements clearly shows that Ford Motor Co. is NOT ready to go to war and preferred the relatively easier way out with an unplanned 'restructuring'. Among Detroit's big three, Ford Motor Co. was the only one which did not require a US government bail out package back in the recession of 2008 - that earned them a lot of praises. But end of the day if we are forced to compare Ford Motor Co's 'restructuring' with GM's exit from India, it's aptly clear that there is no difference in the way the Global management of both these companies do business outside of the US.
A.G. is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Ford's management chose Mr. Anurag and he was put in front of the world through the video.
Has anyone heard from a Mr Steven Armstrong? Wasn't he supposed to the person in charge of 'transformation'?
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...g-watters.html

If Mr Anurag was supposed to report to him, it'd been only fair that he makes such announcements.
Old 30th September 2021, 21:26   #23
BHPian

Predictable move, this ship has sunk and the captain has to move on to other avenues.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors appoints Anurag Mehrotra as Vice President of International Business, CVBU.

Quote:
Tata Motors has appointed Anurag Mehrotra as Vice President- International Business and Strategy of its Commercial Vehicle Business Unit (CVBU) with effect from October 1, 2021.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st October 2021 at 11:50.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 15:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Motors appoints Anurag Mehrotra as Vice President of International Business, CVBU.

Link
So this confirms the doubt that Mr. Mehrotra actually knew about Ford's plan in India well before it was announced. Hiring for such senior roles takes a lot of time (6-12 months).
Dhillon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 17:12   #26
BHPian

Conspiracy theories aside, it's important to understand that India was never a prominent market for Ford ever and even if Ford was profitable here it would have hardly made any difference to Ford global strategy. People suggesting that Ford India CEO should have done something independently to keep Ford in India do not understand at all how MNCs the size of Ford work, small subsidiaries like Ford India have next to zero say in their strategy.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 18:31   #27
BHPian

Seems the Tata's have taken the onus of saving every sinking ship and their captains in India. Next in line Air India
racer_7 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 18:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am curious about the timing of this. Would there not be a cooling off period at such senior levels ?
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 19:01   #29
BHPian

Two things from my end
I feel that any conspiracy theory is not justified, as anyone one having been a MD would do all this to become an VP of a unit reporting to ED not even an CEO.

Considering the haste with which he has joined Tata Motors, I feel he might not last long there due to the same reason mentioned above.
Arun_S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 19:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am curious about the timing of this. Would there not be a cooling off period at such senior levels ?
Not in the private sector. Why should there be one. But yes if you are a Govt official then the cooling off is 12 months.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks