Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Are 7/8 seaters the new 5 seater cars?

Hi Everyone,

Recent car reviews and launches over the years have left me wondering on the actual space utilization aspect of the cars available nowadays.

I noticed that though many hatchbacks, sedans, CSUV, etc claim to be 5 seaters, there is only proper space available for 4 in comfort. Whereas, in the 7/8 seaters is where you can seat minimum 5 in comfort. Last row though hopeless in many SUV's at least provide the option to seat 5 to 6 in better comfort.

For example, Superb has extraordinary space but still is a proper 4 seater. Same for the sedans in the luxury sedans as it goes up I suppose. Its like the offer provided by payment apps, 100% cash back till Rs.50

Earlier, the Indica's used to boast proper access for 5 seaters. I used to admire the space concept of the early Honda City too, where the central tunnel is not intruding. Though driving dynamics are important, comfort is also required when families are present especially for 1 car garage. This was the main reason Polo was ruled out many years back when in the market for a hatchback, ended with the Figo 1st gen which had a decent mix of both.

I find the following factors which encourage this trend:
- Increased cost for third occupant (seat belt, central tunnel)
- Nuclear families and concept of 2 car garage

Would the seating capacity be a motivator for you to move to CSUV's, MUV's or proper SUV's? Love to hear your opinions as I do not see this trend going away soon, I loved the superb

Mods, kindly move/merge the thread to the appropriate section if required. Couldn't find similar topics on this

Last edited by chinmaypillay : 27th September 2021 at 14:15.
chinmaypillay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are 7/8 seaters the new 5 seater cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post

I find the following factors which encourage this trend:
- 4m rules for applicable segments
- Focus more on driving dynamics
- Increased cost for third occupant (seat belt, central tunnel)
- Nuclear families and concept of 2 car garage

We have a similar thread here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...dern-cars.html (Limited Rear Seat width in modern cars!)

Nevertheless, In my opinion, the 4m rules do not have any bearing on the 4 or 5 seating capacities.
Just have a look at the XUV300. It's rear seat can easily seat 3 people abreast.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

The cars are still as wide and some cases even wider. The seats are also bigger but they sculpted and made suitable for 2 rather than 3. The yesteryear cars had flat seats which helped accommodating 3rd passenger. I recall Omni as spacious car and we used to travel 6-7 adults plus kids long ago when we had one. I recently got to sit in relatively newer omni and there is no way more than 2 adults can sit in the back seat. So what has changed?

1. We are used to better comfort now and sitting with your shoulder scratching against fellow passenger is no longer termed comfortable.
2. Armrests, seatbelts, rear AC vents lateral support were unheard of in the past. The concept of doorpads in mainstream cars were limited to slim plastic/piece of cardboard.
3. Knee room/legroom was in exsitent. Just check Fiat/Ambassador/800 they hardly have legroom but 3 people would happily squeeze in.
4. Cars like Etios/Indica/Verito were transition. They had flat seats but then had good wheelbase(a trait of modern cars) which gave more legroom.
5. Lastly, this is just my guess, as an individual too, we are taller than our previous generation. This is something I have seen within my family and friends circle. I haven't done any research but I won't be surprised if average height of folks has gone up over years.
PrideRed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
Would the seating capacity be a motivator for you to move to CSUV's, MUV's or proper SUV's?
For me, yes, a higher seating capacity is one of the prime reasons why I would ever consider upgrading to a SUV (alongwith perhaps a AWD/4*4).
Having said this, compact/crossover SUVs still find it challenging to seat 3 adults in the rear seat in quite a few cases.

To add to the conundrum, its not as if sedans are shrinking width-wise. In fact, every gen seems to get wider in the rear seat. But, with creature comforts increasingly taking priority on the back seat (check out the Camry's rear seat arm-rest!) , the overall value proposition of the rear seat has also undergone huge transition with every gen for sedans, especially.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 28th September 2021 at 12:42. Reason: changed apostrophe 's' to plural :)
Old 13th October 2021, 16:25   #5
BHPian

Yes Chinmay, I agree with your point on two car garage. What I have gathered from my friends and circle is most of them prefer to have a hatchback for use / drive in city. It gives them convenience including ease of parking. They buy a SUV/ MPV/ High raise hatches, to drive on outstation trips, week end getaway or other family outings. Also post Covid, a lot of people are looking at 7 seater for family getaways/ outstation trips. That could be a reason for all manufactures coming up a 7 seater version of their hot selling High raise hatches/ SUVs. The second car in a family has come to stay. Even in large apartment complexes a lot demand is there for buying second parking at a premium
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 07:50   #6
BHPian

IMHO, I think that it's more about what is considered comfortable has changed. We are used to better luxury as compared to yesteryears. Due to the added comfort as a requirement, cars are actually getting bigger over generation. Look at the generation of any car (e.g. Polo). New Polo is over 4m in EU and pretty much the length which Golf used to be years ago. So these are cars may scream strictly 4 seaters, but they are very comfortable 4 seaters as opposed to squeezing into each other 5 seaters.
Old 14th October 2021, 13:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot depends on how much space one desires per person. I have come across four rather slim people fit in the back of a Renault Logan/Verito even though its meant for three people at the back. Similarly, for me the Crysta fits four people most comfortably and two more if they are short or three kids. I havent got to try seven average built adults in the car to know if they sat comfortably or not. But in principle it is supposed to be a proper seven seater. I also believe that an average C segment sedan is meant for four adults and maybe a child/teenager.

So for comfortable seating, yes I could call 7 seaters as a spacious five seater. But if the last row is like what we get in cars like Triber or the Datsun Go+, then that is not even a five seater in my opinion and can be four adults and two kids.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks