Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 20:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner crosses hallowed 50-lakh OTR price in Bangalore

Last week, Toyota introduced the Fortuner Legender 4x4 in India. The ex-showroom price of the new top-spec variant of the popular SUV is Rs. 42.33 lakh. Add registration, insurance, and other charges and you have a Fortuner that costs over Rs. 50 lakh in Bangalore.

Name:  Fortuner Legender 4x4 AT OTR price Bangalore.JPG
Views: 1817
Size:  47.7 KB

The Fortuner Legender 4x4 uses the same 2.8-litre diesel engine as the 4x2 variant. This engine puts out 201 BHP and 500 Nm. It is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system.

Until recently, the Fortuner Legender was not available with all-wheel drive. The Legender 4x2 is still on sale and it costs Rs. 48.44 lakh (on-road, Bangalore).

Toyota also offers all-wheel drive on the regular Fortuner. When it comes to OTR prices in Bangalore, the 4x4 AT version costs Rs. 5.53 lakh less than the Legender 4x4 AT.

Source: Carwale

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner crosses hallowed 50-lakh OTR price in Bangalore

The kind of news where you can’t decide whether to laugh or cry. It is reliable and powerful. But it is cramped. It is bumpy. It is uncomfortable. And at these prices, pretty much a cruel joke. It’s closest parallel is the Mahindra Scorpio, another car with a very similar set of attributes and an equally loyal fan following.

I for one will not be spending my money on this one. They charge premium as if every other car has the reliability of an 80’s Ambassador.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 10th October 2021 at 20:36.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (116) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:45   #3
BHPian

This is absolutely a loot from Toyota.

I like all other enthusiasts was sad for Ford exiting India how i wish it was Toyota i wouldn't have given it a damn.

Last edited by Gaur : 10th October 2021 at 20:47.
Gaur is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is absolutely one of the biggest rip-offs that we have witnessed in the recent past.
But Toyota exactly knows where there is going, and it won't stand down a chance!

With Ford gone, and along with it the wonderful Endeavour, Toyota will now squeeze all while it can.
That is, unless some worthy 7-seater competitors start knocking on the doors of this virtually empty segment.

Kodiaq, Meridian - are you listening?
JoshMachine is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Toyota have priced themselves SO far beyond any normal & rational sense, that now many can safely say that they're using the brand fame garnered among politicos, contractors & those with "connections", to bring in their revenue.

WHY else will anyone buy a vehicle despite it being cramped, bumpy, uncomfortable..? Just for reliability? lol, I doubt.
GrammarNazi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

WHY else will anyone buy a vehicle despite it being cramped, bumpy, uncomfortable..? Just for reliability? lol, I doubt.
Herd mentality, man. The bane of the Indian market. Makes or breaks a brand like nothing else.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (52) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:26   #7
BHPian

This is absolute rip off.

Where do we go for upgrade now if we want to own a true rear wheel drive ladder on frame 4x4 SUV (excluding Scorpio).

I see this as a golden chance for ISUZU to bring in their next gen MU-X between 30-36L and capture the space left vacant by Ford.

Isuzu have a good reputation of providing robust engine and being reliable mechanically.

The new one has got good reviews in Australia.

Hope Isuzu acts fast and doesn't get greedy.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:07   #8
BHPian

Off topic : This makes the XUV700 feel like a budget car and a steal Jokes apart, no wonder it registered such crazy booking numbers! Mahindra knows what they are doing for sure. One can buy 3 XUV700s for the rate of this Fortuner and use the other 2 as a convoy!
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Toyota also offers all-wheel drive on the regular Fortuner. When it comes to OTR prices in Bangalore, the 4x4 AT version costs Rs. 5.53 lakh less than the Legender 4x4 AT.
Legender 4X4 AT was bound to reach the ₹50 Lakh mark across India. If I really want a Fortuner I would just go and buy the regular Fortuner 4X4 and save my ₹5.53 Lakh and be happy about it.

The Legender doesn’t get any special feature over the regular Fortuner that it can command 5L over it!

In my books, it may surely be expensive and proper looting by Toyota but with no competitors in sight, Kodiaq/Tiguan Allspace being only Petrol won’t have the same demand as their diesel counterparts. Jeep Meridian will be based on the Compass, so I guess it won’t have enough space to be called a 7 seater, which the Fortuner is. And if anyone want a 7 seater, with seriously good off-road capabilities, this is it! MG Gloster is more luxury oriented than off-road oriented.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 10th October 2021 at 23:33.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Toyota have priced themselves SO far beyond any normal & rational sense, that now many can safely say that they're using the brand fame garnered among politicos, contractors & those with "connections", to bring in their revenue.

The amount of respect, road presence and social status you get from a Fortuner is unbelievably(or unfortunately?) in a league by itself. I found it exaggerated at first, but, that Fortuner vibe is something. So much that people will ignore the ride quality, okayish interior, ALL of it's competitors and that unreal rip-off price tag

Toyota's badge assures great longevity and good ownership experience. And even among Toyotas, Fortuner has insane resale value.
All that, but it's so unnervingly overpriced and lacking in features.
youngknight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
And if anyone want a 7 seater, with seriously good off-road capabilities, this is it! MG Gloster is more luxury oriented than off-road oriented.
Why do you say Gloster is not as good as Fortuner in off road?
ssateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 00:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota realised the Fortuner price is elastic much before the Govt of India realised the same thing about petrol/diesel. Net result = Both inching to the stratosphere disconnected from the actual bill of materials.

The best part is neither of them likely pinch the “average” Fortuner buyer. So while non owners keep cribbing here, it continues to sell in 1000s month after month.

I doubt anything will change with this new variant.
Dry Ice is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 01:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
This is absolute rip off.

I see this as a golden chance for ISUZU to bring in their next gen MU-X between 30-36L and capture the space left vacant by Ford.

Isuzu have a good reputation of providing robust engine and being reliable mechanically.

The new one has got good reviews in Australia.

Hope Isuzu acts fast and doesn't get greedy.

-PK
I wish this was true, was hoping for the next-gen MUX and the V Cross to be launched, but ended up being massively disappointed.

With the way Izuzu India is run, they are happier selling a few thousand commercial vehicles despite having a really successful lifestyle car (successful by lifestyle car standards) in the V - Cross.

But yes, greedy pricing and the lack of any ambition in the Indian market other than their dated offerings killed whatever they could have done. They had the tech, they had the competent vehicle portfolio, they could also try to bank on some legacy which it has by being the engine option on Amby's and Contessa's, and yet, falters badly.

And now, with zero competitors at the moment, the segment now becomes the sole monopoly of the Fortuner (I do not expect the Kodiaq and the Meredian to change things much). Hope that a new competitor actually makes an alternative that is cheaper
TorqueMonster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 01:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

This is sheer madness. At 50L they can just slap a Lexus badge on it and go till 70L also.

I have sat in the Fortuner many times and I have never felt it to be more than 40L worth. It drives also like a truck. It wasn't even in my shortlist when I got the Kodiaq as it was neither luxurious nor good to drive and wasn't even feature loaded.

At 53L its sheer ludicrous and I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to pay half a crore for this.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 01:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

And there are people who think Toyota is going to be the next one to quit India

With products priced as obscenely as this, Toyota is here to stay. As long as customers see value in a 45-50L Fortuner, Toyota is going to laugh all the way to the bank. Forget new offerings belonging to the T-badge in lower segments, they don't even need the Maruti badged cars in all honesty. It's just a formality for the sake of the Toyota-Maruti Suzuki partnership and nothing else (apart from keeping dealers happy).

Most people might find this pricing obscene, but Toyota knows there are enough people to see value in the Fortuner even at this price. It's an undeniable fact. The customer base for the Innova Crysta and Fortuner (latter especially) is more or less static.
vishy76 is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed