Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 11:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner crosses hallowed 50-lakh OTR price in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
And the 500 NM Fortuner is no more a bad car to drive now even for people who want fast cars.
And at the cost of bad road manners, not to forget the safety. No I'm not comparing it with the dynamics of a sedan. It's futile to compare too but how good can be the 500 Nm if you can't quite safely unleash the horses? Such power indeed calls for much better suspension and brakes. Toyota is milking Indian buyers. Can't they make the car better and safer too. The butch size and monstrous spec figures on paper shouldn't give someone a wrong sense of safety and invincibility behind it's wheel.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 11th October 2021 at 11:55.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 11:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhinchak View Post
But crossing the 50 lakh mark, Many might jump ship to luxury German brands for few extra bucks.
I don't think many would cross-shop across a Fortuner and German SUVs. At Fortuner's price range (yes, even with the unreasonable hikes) all you would get is entry level Germans - GLA, X1, Q2/Q3! Needless to say, none of these hold a candle to the Fortuner when it comes to reliability, ruggedness, go-anywhere capability, interior space, service costs, service network, etc. etc. Cross shopping across these three, yes, for sure. But across Fortuner and one of these? Meh... I doubt.
cool_dube is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I don't think many would cross-shop across a Fortuner and German SUVs. At Fortuner's price range (yes, even with the unreasonable hikes) all you would get is entry level Germans - GLA, X1, Q2/Q3! Needless to say, none of these hold a candle to the Fortuner when it comes to reliability, ruggedness, go-anywhere capability, interior space, service costs, service network, etc. etc. Cross shopping across these three, yes, for sure. But across Fortuner and one of these? Meh... I doubt.

Yes, someone with good sound knowledge might not jump the ship. But someone who is just looking for some bragging rights will definitely think twice now. As this could be a never ending story, 3 years ago i bought 4x4 fortuner at around 38 lakhs now its 50 lakhs plus. In 3 years time the fortuner could be at 60 lakhs plus with few additional features. The local politicians and landlords just want something big to brag or an German to swag. They don't care of the technical specs or the mileage ,comfort etc.
Jhinchak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:13   #34
BHPian

Wow, crazy pricing! With Ford quitting the SUV game in India (unless they decide to bring in CBUs) the Toyota brand is the only one left and one can expect predatory pricing.
All the more reason for me to keep my 4-year-old Ford Endeavour 3.2 till I possibly can.

The only alternative would be if Isuzu ups its game, but given the past experience, I'm not holding my breath.

Will Mahindra take this opportunity to slide into the space vacated by Endevour?
Or will the market pivot to the XUV 7OO category?

Interesting times ahead!
Sanjivvohra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:22   #35
BHPian

Such is the sorry state of affairs that the local Toyota dealer doesn't even want to deal with customers who ask for a quotation on Whatsapp. I am in the market for a 7 seater and I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least check out the Fortuner. Not that I would spend ~45L on it but just for reference. It's been a week now that the local sales rep calls me every two days on when he can come and collect the cheque but doesn't want to send me the quotation . It seems that the sales reps are busy running from one politicos house to the other collecting cheques and don't have the time to waste on the average citizen who wants to compare variants and vehicles. Heck, he doesn't even want to waste time sending me a quotation. I am glad though. One more reason for me to not waste money on an extremely overrated vehicle.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
And at the cost of bad road manners, not to forget the safety. No I'm not comparing it with the dynamics of a sedan. It's futile to compare too but how good can be the 500 Nm if you can't quite safely unleash the horses? Such power indeed calls for much better suspension and brakes. Toyota is milking Indian buyers. Can't they make the car better and safer too. The butch size and monstrous spec figures on paper shouldn't give someone a wrong sense of safety and invincibility behind it's wheel.
Its the other way round. Stiff suspension and hydraulic steering are quite helpful to unleash the 500NM of torque and definitely adds more confidence. To add more, 500NM on pre facelift which had even stiffer suspension would not be bad idea. While at low speed stiff suspension can be bouncy, on a highway or offroad, suspension of Fortuner is a boon. On a 4 lane highway, there is decent comfort on offer, infact better than Endeavour primarily because of lesser movement. Also the rear seat of Endeavour is tiny and 2-3 inches narrower than one in Fortuner. At higher speeds its the Fortuner which feels more planted and confidence inspiring than Endeavour. The Endeavour has advantage at low speeds, bad patches of road where the front seats feel sublime. You can literally run over the pothole at the cost of tossing the back seat passengers.

As a Fortuner owner, I too was taken a back with 3L hike it got during facelift. But then since I already had Endeavour, Fortuner was the only option. Gloster seemed good but then spending 45L on MG, I did not have the courage. Other car I checked was 3 series and realized will not fit my use despite cheaper price tag. Had there been something better in the segment I would have definitely gone in for same. Also the Fortuner has significant advantage when it comes to Engine and Off road.

At 53L Legender is definitely too much and 5L premium is a bit hard to digest when you know there isn't so much extra on offer. Quad lights, kick sensor, wireless charger, ambient light, USB port- I am sure they don't cost more than a Lac. But then with Toyota retaining regular Fortuner, isn't more options the merrier for buyer? There are in total 8 variants on offer keeping color options aside. Don't like the Legender? Simply chuck it, save 5L and get a regular Fortuner.

Even regular Fortuner may or may not be justified, but except for few VFM cars(XUV 700/Superb), the prices of all other cars have sky rocketed. Just see below:

BMW 3 series
2012- 28.90 - 37.90 Lakhs
2021- 44.90- 50.50(62.90 for M340i) Lakhs

Fortuner
2011 - 19.99L-20.99 Lakhs
2021- 30.73-38.18(42.30 for Legender) Lakhs

While on BMW I can get discount on Fortuner there are hardly any.

If you are coming from a sedan or a plush riding crossover, ride is bumpy, but then no one buys a Body on frame tall SUV for comfort. Its just same as buying a sedan and expecting it to go offroad. Yes ride is bumpy but then If I have to compare against Endeavour(which has best ride in segment) difference is not earth and sky. While Endeavour soaks bump well, high speed stability is better in Fortuner due to stiffer suspension. Again comfort is not all about ride, space on offer, seat cushioning/contour, sideways movement, bumpiness all sum up to comfort, for which both these cars don't fits the bill.

The interiors again are weak but then difference is not as what is it made to be. I have posted side by side shots of Endy and Fortuner and in reality its not cringeworthy for me. The Bimmer/Merc have better interiors for sure and is their USP. If more money= Luxury, comfort is what you are looking at, then definitely you should not be looking at Fortuner and Endeavour.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2021 at 19:20. Reason: Minor typo
PrideRed is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:24   #37
BHPian

Ever heard of "Capitalism", "Free Market", "Price Discovery". If not, then this is a very good case study.

Any seller is free to price his goods at whatever maximum level he is able to sell.
If there are buyers who can afford a 50 lakhs Fortuner, then why deny the seller his share of profit and his workers their share of annual bonus and salary hikes?

And for the buyers who can't afford it, let's remember it is not an "Essential Commodity".

So, sit back, relax and let the free market forces decide pricing and sales.
low_rider is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:49   #38

Toyota as a brand is known for its reliability. However for me the Fortuner has always been a glorified bread box. Neither is it elegant or comfortable. For the 'rural rich', it serves its purpose with its strong presence & given the lack of competition, it is for now, price inelastic.
ba run is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:13   #39
BHPian

I hope this results in some of the buyers considering the India-made Jeep Wrangler as the Legender's price is inching towards the Wrangler. Additionally, I also hope Jeep tries to reduce the price and grab the Fortuner customer-segment.
Old 11th October 2021, 14:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Had there been something better in the segment I would have definitely gone in for same.
That, my friend, is the crux of the matter! If one wants a monocoque crossover (with/without AWD) there are options aplenty across all budgets. But when it comes to a ladder-frame 7-seater SUV with "proper" (read low-range) 4wd hardware, there is nothing else out there - Endeavour is gone, Alturas is counting its days here, Isuzu is not interested in selling the MU-X here, and Gloster is yet to prove its mettle, Chinese pedigree notwithstanding! Toyota is well aware of this and is making hay while the sun is shining - while some might say it is unreasonable, it makes perfect business sense.

Is Fortuner the best SUV* by today's standards? - heck, no!
Is Fortuner the best SUV* one can buy (first hand) in India today? - absolutely yes!

* please refer to text in bold above for definition of SUV in the context of this discussion

Last edited by cool_dube : 11th October 2021 at 14:32.
cool_dube is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:29   #41
BHPian

I wonder if the entire blame on the loot should be placed on Toyota’s shoulders or can the Karnataka government also share the blame. Nearly 8 lakhs on registeration charges is far too high. I hope things change a little once the Bharat series plates get operational.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:17   #42
BHPian

When I was in the market for buying a 35L rupee SUV in 2019, I went to check out Fortuner too. I didn't like the vehicle much after the longish test drive, in fact I was quite impressed by Innova with the same engine back then(2.8AT).

In all this, I sheepishly asked the sales rep, why do some people buy Endeavour over Fortuner? The reply was- Jinko Fortuner nahi mil paati(due to waiting period), wo Endeavour lelete hain. And I showed myself out of the showroom.

Although, I don't think its Toyota to blame when it comes to Fortuner's pricing, its people themselves and the competitors to some extent. In an open market, if you're able to create a monopoly, you are a brilliant marketer.
Old 11th October 2021, 15:30   #43
BHPian

This isn't new to Toyota. Remember when Innova launched at some 7 lacs ex showroom ? They took it to over 20 lacs by merely changing the bumper in each generation (the older pre-crysta innova). The next gen of the Innova, the Crysta is at 30 lacs on road in Bangalore now for the top end. Fortuner has had a similar story, launching at 18 lacs exshowroom as per @Bibendum90949 post above.

It is disheartening to see Toyota reduced to its current state in the country. Charging exorbitantly on Innova/Fortuner and rebadging maruti's for the mass market. Either way, no R&D investment, no innovation.

Last edited by veyron_head : 11th October 2021 at 15:31. Reason: typo
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

I just wish Mitsubishi would sell Pajero/Outlander sport for some 5 to 10 lakh less rupees less than this via Nissan showrooms.

Will help bring footfall to Nissan dealers and maybe help Mitsubishi build a niche customer base.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 11th October 2021 at 15:40.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:54   #45
BHPian

Toyota is pulling in the numbers with rebadged cars and the money by milking their cash cows. problem is it looks like they are flogging it to death

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks