Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 22:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: September 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Wondering why semiconductor shortage is only impacting vehicles and not other industries like mobiles and computers which rely much more heavily on them. Due to heavy demand and less supply the prices of cars are just going over the roof. Natural resources do not become scarce all of a sudden. It seems there is more to this shortage specially with the timing of COVID which anyways has a negative sentiment on the overall industry.
I remember reading an article during Covid about this. Apparently the semiconductor suppliers prioritised supplies to the mobile and computer industry during Covid as this were the industries showing heavy demand due to remote working an other patterns.

Obviously during Covid automakers were hard pressed to purchase semiconductor chips as production was quite limited. Some manufacturers like Hyundai did stock up on chips forseeing demand pick up post Covid.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 22:53   #32
BHPian

Can someone please explain why dispatch number for Celerio is -1 for September? Does it mean that a car was dispatched last month/earlier this year, but was recalled back to the factory?
Old 12th October 2021, 23:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Can someone please explain why dispatch number for Celerio is -1 for September? Does it mean that a car was dispatched last month/earlier this year, but was recalled back to the factory?
Not necessarily recalled back. These are wholesale orders by the dealers to the OEM. One dealer might have ordered the car in August but cancelled it in September. There are many such cases every month but because of volumes the numbers are mostly positive in overall numbers.
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 00:10   #34
BHPian

A lot of the luxury car brands are refusing to take new bookings for certain CBU vehicles. Porsche Mumbai recently told me they couldn't take any new bookings for the Cayenne as they aren't sure if they'll get any more allocations for the coming months - and I've already bought two Porsche's so it's not a case of they don't want to sell me the car.

Mercedes told me I could configure and make an initial payment for the G350d but they haven't yet been able to confirm how long they would take to actually deliver the car.

So the problem is definitely global, and even the bigger and influential manufacturers are affected by it, but maybe there's a possibility that allocations are being prioritised to other countries over India.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 06:13   #35

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

I was wondering what happened to Maruti Vitara Brezza and Maruti Swift, in particular, with this chip shortage. Should not the shortage affect all the vehicles equally?
Feels good to see Tata Nexon the most sold sub 4 m car across the range. Tata might be the only brand thanking this chip shortage season.

Hyundai Xcent/aura selling more that the Honda Amaze and Maruti dzire actually confuses me with the buying mind set of us Indians. Some of the Dzire shortage can be attributed to the chip shortage, but Amaze?!. I feel Amaze is a better car than Hyundai Xcent/Aura in all aspects, right?

Last edited by Sheel : 13th October 2021 at 11:03. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:55   #36
BHPian

Very impressed with TATA numbers. This will only grow with the Punch. Can someone explain how TATA doesn't seem to be impacted so far by the chip shortage? Is this because they had stocked up in anticipation. if so why didn't the one with highest market share do the same? Or is it because TATA numbers were anyways not so high in comparison and so they haven't reached that point where it shows in the dispatches?
Old 13th October 2021, 10:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
. Can someone explain how TATA doesn't seem to be impacted so far by the chip shortage?
Tata motors already announced a few months back that they're having to cut down production due to the chip shortage.
Old 13th October 2021, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Hi All,

I was going through the sales Figure of Harrier and Safari. Any particular reason why the Harrier is outselling Safari month on month?

As per our Team BHP poll 71% preferred safari. Also the price difference is only around 100K and for that you the extra row (3rd Row) + Disc Brake on all 4 wheels, Electronic Parking etc. Sounds like decent enough value. The thing most in favour of Harrier is the Look of the car.

Any views on the above?
LivingCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Tata motors already announced a few months back that they're having to cut down production due to the chip shortage.
Yes. In early July, their share took quite a fall after this news. Whoever bought on dip, must be very happy now.

Anyway, are we already seeing the PUNCH effect on ALTROZ sales? People choosing SUV over Hatchbacks is a general trend and both cars will end up in similar price range.
Old 13th October 2021, 14:05   #40
BHPian

Some precipitous falls -
1. Brezza and Swift
2. Amaze - possibly due to the facelift launch and the resulting waiting periods?
Old 13th October 2021, 14:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

India's biggest automaker Maruti Suzuki recorded a drop to -38 percent in Sept.'21 v/s Aug '21.

- The market leader Maruti Suzuki Market Share dropped to 34% and the growth fell by 53.7 percent (Y-O-Y).

- Almost all automakers gained in market share at the expense of the largest car manufacturer loss in market share.

Source:Auto Punditz
I know it's wishful thinking but I sincerely hope this happens on a regular basis and MSIL's market share falls to 25%, opening up the remaining 75% of the market to other manufacturers. The Indian auto sector desperately needs this to happen.

It will revitalise and infuse vigour into the plethora of struggling manufacturers in the country. This in turn will help their Indian operations and attract more investments.

Right now this lackadaisical manufacturer eats up 50% of the market and does not really benefit the Indian auto industry. No innovation, negligible exports, no exciting products..... just pottering along selling cheap cars and help fund Suzuki's global survival!
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 14:58   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know it's wishful thinking but I sincerely hope this happens on a regular basis and MSIL's market share falls to 25%, opening up the remaining 75% of the market to other manufacturers. The Indian auto sector desperately needs this to happen.
How?

Who will fulfill the 210,000 Orders meant for Maruti?

Do we have alternatives to Alto800, WagonR, Ertiga? Can any other manufacturer supply DZire or Swift in the numbers they sell?

Maruti did not ask other manufacturers to stop building capacity or develop cars that sell in India. Maruti is the expert in making small cars that consistently provide you good service and low running cost for decades - this is undeniable.

The closest anyone has come to is Renault with their Kwid, one can be rest assured that Renault is not going to be able to scale up to fill the gap of Maruti and not to mention Tata, we know what happened with their Nano.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 15:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
How?

Who will fulfill the 210,000 Orders meant for Maruti?

Do we have alternatives to Alto800, WagonR, Ertiga? Can any other manufacturer supply DZire or Swift in the numbers they sell?

Maruti did not ask other manufacturers to stop building capacity or develop cars that sell in India. Maruti is the expert in making small cars that consistently provide you good service and low running cost for decades - this is undeniable.

The closest anyone has come to is Renault with their Kwid, one can be rest assured that Renault is not going to be able to scale up to fill the gap of Maruti and not to mention Tata, we know what happened with their Nano.
Flash news...... Maruti isn't the only largescale car maker in the world. Literally every international manufacturer present in India outsell them globally on a 10:1 scale. Ramping up production capacity in India is not exactly a challenge for any of them. Immediate demand can be met by adding additional shifts.

Maruti was a government protectorate and enjoyed a 10-15 year head start compared to the rest. They are good at making small cheap cars, no denying that. Let them continue to make 800s, Altos, WagonRs etc. The scale and market base they enjoy gives them a massive advantage over any other player.

I have no issue in Maruti making small cheap cars, the issue is that's all they're good at despite enjoying 50% of the market for nearly 4 decades!

They bring in nothing else to the Indian automotive sector, in terms of innovation, exports, new technology etc. On top of this they keep lobbying the govt. to ensure the industry remains stuck in the 90s.

Maruti's demise will be a breath of fresh air for the Indian automobile industry.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 17:09   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They bring in nothing else to the Indian automotive sector, in terms of innovation, exports, new technology etc. On top of this they keep lobbying the govt. to ensure the industry remains stuck in the 90s.

Maruti's demise will be a breath of fresh air for the Indian automobile industry.
Unfortunately, I am at this expectation. Its like expecting a boss to commit suicide so that one of the employees can get a promotion. Rather, if the employees are capable enough, they can always find opportunities to go ahead of the boss. Please dont relate Maruti's presence and another manufacturers non performance. It has been time and again discussed in the forum how other manufacturers are ramping up their offerings much quicker and turning out to be a larger threat for MSIL. So customers do have a huge choice outside of Maruti. But in spite of that, if the company can survive, then that is because of the preferences of the customer. Not because people are being suffocated with only Maruti Suzuki cars that they can buy. Hence, I dont understand what would be the fresh air after Marutis demise. Even with their presence, lot of manufacturers are still breathing fresh air and coming up with impressive offerings.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingCars View Post
Hi All,

I was going through the sales Figure of Harrier and Safari. Any particular reason why the Harrier is outselling Safari month on month?

As per our Team BHP poll 71% preferred safari. Also the price difference is only around 100K and for that you the extra row (3rd Row) + Disc Brake on all 4 wheels, Electronic Parking etc. Sounds like decent enough value. The thing most in favour of Harrier is the Look of the car.

Any views on the above?
Last month, I wanted to buy Safari but finally picked up Harrier top model even though my budget was 25L. Reasons -
1.) Harrier's 2nd seat is more comfortable than Safari. Safari's second row seat is split whereas Harrier's seat is one single unit.
2.) Harrier has a usable rear parcel tray but Safari even in 5 seater mode had no such option.
3.) Braking is perfect in Harrier. Rear disks in Safari versus drums in Harrier hardly made a difference. Harrier is very confident in braking.

These were my reasons. Other buyers can have their own set of preferences.
Further to verify validity of Team Bhp poll, we should know the % of real owners because there is a difference between wanting to do something and actually doing something.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks