Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

After the cars its all set to rain SUV's this June

The first quarter of 2007 has all been about car launches,but if the media report is true then this monsoon its going to be the big boy's who are going to make all the news,

Quote:
While the months of April and May were the season of the much-awaited passenger car launches, June-July would see the launches and relaunches of some of India’s most sought after sports utility vehicles (SUVs).

Over the next two months[june-july], brace up for the new Grand Vitara from Suzuki, the 2.2 litre Scorpio from the stable of the country’s largest utility vehicles manufacturer Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M), Ford Endeavour TDCi and the new Tata Safari.
The demand for suv's seems to have risen quite a lot[team-bhp itself is proof of that].

source:
SUV sales to rise over next 2 months

PS: Monsoon and suv's coincidental but actually makes sense in our country.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 22nd May 2007 at 10:21.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

The Eagle Scorpio and the 'new' Safari have been coming for quite some time now. Waiting to see if they finally meet their deadlines.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whats going on with the Captiva plan for GM? Its a nice car, even if lacking grunt in the Petrol version. Goodlooking too!
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Captiva will be launched before the year end, the engine is already here (soon to be launched in the Optra) they have already done the market survey incidentally I happened to be one of the scapegoats, so now they have the trim levels, the add ons and the pricepoint in mind, I think (& hope) that it will be here pretty soon.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ranc any idea what the expected pricing could be.Also from your post it seems that it will be launched with a diesel option but would chevrolet be able to meet the demands for both the optra as well as the captiva in that case.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:50   #6
BHPian

The engine is going to be imp[orted anyways, so they just have to indent for more, the pricepoint has to be decided by them, I remember telling them anything under 10 lakhs will sell like hotcakes. Now it is more of a question of their wisdom and the feedback that they recieved. I still feel anyone coming out with a SUV should look at a pricepoint between the Scorpio and the Endeavour thats where all the action is. And yes it is diesel.
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The Eagle Scorpio and the 'new' Safari have been coming for quite some time now. Waiting to see if they finally meet their deadlines.
I am actually sceptical on the Indian SUV manufacturers namely TATA/Mahindra on their releases.
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whats going on with the Captiva plan for GM? Its a nice car, even if lacking grunt in the Petrol version. Goodlooking too!
Not to mention the Outlander, I thought that was slated for release before the Captiva!
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:49   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So basically one new SUV and two new engines in existing SUVs. Still good....I welcome that.

Is the Vitara scheduled to come with a common-rail? And whatever happened to the long-awaited Fortuner?
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Captiva will use the Optra D engine but in higher set of tune of 150bhp.

@ GTO - The plan of the Fortuner has been scrapped by Toyota, they say that aiming for a small car is more important then a SUV at 15lacs.

Last edited by BUSA : 22nd May 2007 at 17:51.
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
@ GTO - The plan of the Fortuner has been scrapped by Toyota, they say that aiming for a small car is more important then a SUV at 15lacs.
Daihatsu, Toyota's sister concern did a survey in india on the possibilities of launching a small hatch and gave a negative report for sirion or passo! I read this in TOI I believe sometime back. So what they are up to?

Slightly OT: One Sirion was racing with me yesterday and I was driving upto 150kmph tailgating him in highway where he didn't want to give me way! When I pressed and reached upto 160kmph then only he gave me the way and then he juz disappeared in RVM! I was wondering this is one hell of a car and why can't we have it in India!
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why they are not concentrating under 10 lac segment ? I am sure a lot of want to see some new suv's under 10 lac.
Old 23rd May 2007, 01:30   #13

Hi
I thought that India was a developing country and things were cheaper to make, wages were lower. Take at the Jeep Liberty
Sport Model.............. $22485...............9.44L
Latitude Edition......... $24920...............10.46L
Limited Edition........... $25895...............10.87L
and when you line up the two home grown models, Safari and Scorpio, which are about the same size, weight and inside space are we getting a good deal Rupee to dollar rate? That's not taking the discount of $3500/ 1.47L Somebody's making a lot of money and we are getting ripped off,
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:16   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@supernova, You also need to take into consideration the economies of sale. For e.g. the Honda Accord. It sells about 4,00,000 units a year in the USA and about 5,000 in India.
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the economies of scale even the tax structure in India is to be blamed,where a car is more of a luxury item[however things seem to be changing atleast in the small car segment].

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks