Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:53   #16
LLL
BHPian

would be interesting if someone can tell maruti to explore the sx4 platform for a small suv under 10L...

will probably give a big knockout punch to safari/scorpio..
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:50   #17
BHPian

maruti are you listening ? We need an SUV based on SX4 which will give us a good build quality and FE and less on maintenance. I know it is surely possible with Maruti...lets hope!
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@supernova, You also need to take into consideration the economies of sale. For e.g. the Honda Accord. It sells about 4,00,000 units a year in the USA and about 5,000 in India.
TO, dont you think the number 5000 is only because not everybody can afford it though would like to have it in stable.. I dont think the price is linked with the no. of Units getting sold.. but the tax structure in India..
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ahem! if you look at this website, you will realize that the SX4 brand is infact a Suzuki mini SUV, then they developed the Sedan version i.e. for India and other countries, if I can quote the Wiki
"The Suzuki SX4 is a mini SUV developed by Japanese and Italian automakers Suzuki and Fiat and produced since 2006. Although originally intended only for the European market, the car is sold ......" read the full wiki here
Old 24th May 2007, 15:03   #20
HSV
BHPian

Surprisingly, we've heard heaps about the upcoming 2.2 ltr Safari, whether in news. or on the tbhp discussions, however no news on the Scorpio 2.2 litre.

I wonder why.... ?
Old 24th May 2007, 17:18   #21

Well we will see when the Scorpio arrives in the USA, 2008/09 and takes on the Jeep and two others that are in the same price range but are much better equiped the Scorpio
Old 24th May 2007, 20:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Not to mention the Outlander, I thought that was slated for release before the Captiva!
I dont quite remember what an outlander looks like but drove an Uplander here for a few days and did new York to Buffalo in it. Needless to say, the same trims wont be there but i fthey can offer the same in their top of the line model and somehow get the pricing right (not a GM strong point) and get the right diesel heart (the240HP, 3.9L petrol engineis an absolute gem, needless to say it wont be coming here) they have a winner and will give Innova a run for their money if priced in the same range. Its slightly bigger and better equipped.

This is what it looks like

Its supposed to be very popular in the US and has even got 5 star reviews.
Old 24th May 2007, 20:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
The engine is going to be imp[orted anyways, so they just have to indent for more, the pricepoint has to be decided by them, I remember telling them anything under 10 lakhs will sell like hotcakes. Now it is more of a question of their wisdom and the feedback that they recieved. I still feel anyone coming out with a SUV should look at a pricepoint between the Scorpio and the Endeavour thats where all the action is. And yes it is diesel.
I'd be surprised that any car with an imported engine can be priced competitively. The duties are just way too high in India.
Old 24th May 2007, 21:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Hi
I thought that India was a developing country and things were cheaper to make, wages were lower. Take at the Jeep Liberty
Sport Model.............. $22485...............9.44L
Latitude Edition......... $24920...............10.46L
Limited Edition........... $25895...............10.87L
and when you line up the two home grown models, Safari and Scorpio, which are about the same size, weight and inside space are we getting a good deal Rupee to dollar rate? That's not taking the discount of $3500/ 1.47L Somebody's making a lot of money and we are getting ripped off,
Supernova, auto components are relatively cheaper to make in India, even with our comparitively smaller economies of scale, and duties on imported steel. But that 'somebody' who is making a lot of money and ripping us off is none other than Bharat Sarkaar.

In India, cars come under a luxury good tax/excise of 24% (lower for the now famous small car exemption). Add to that various Central and State sales taxes, freight taxes during component transport, and you have a cascading effect, pushing up the ex-factory price of a car by around 45~55%. It might be worse when you consider import duties between 12~24% on various sub-assemblies, and about 16% on steel. The net tax is much higher than that paid by customers in the US (4%), Japan(10%), Europe (15-20%) or even Brazil (23%) [Source CRISIL]

After paying all those taxes, you'd think that the very least they could give us back in return are good roads.
Old 24th May 2007, 21:16   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Surprisingly, we've heard heaps about the upcoming 2.2 ltr Safari, whether in news. or on the tbhp discussions, however no news on the Scorpio 2.2 litre.

I wonder why.... ?
thats because Scorpio is a car.
Mahindra say that in the advert.
People get more excited about SUVs you see. 4x4 is a bonus.
Old 24th May 2007, 22:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

V-16,

That Uplander looks like it got that monicker after a sex-change operation!
Old 25th May 2007, 01:42   #27

With out going into the details of the tax regime in this country, WIZERDOFID. Two things come to mind, first if the 1 Lac cars is coming and the tax on it is anywhere from 35% to 55%, what are we going to get for 50000/- approx. Lawn mower with 4 wheels? Second. I may be wrong (Probably am) but there is a thing called reciprocal taxing between countries. If you are taxing heavily things coming into your own country then you start to export to a low taxing country then that country as certain rights under the WTO to heavily tax those goods. So the Scorpio is not going to sell in the US. But it might be good for us for it to sell in the US, for the Indian Govt might have to bring the tax down here to bring it in line with the WTO rules, making it cheaper for poor plebes. I've just imported from US rear parking sensors that I could not get here and had to pay 34% Customs on it. Wish I could have charged 34% mark up on my goods, lucky to get 17/20%
Old 25th May 2007, 11:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
I'd be surprised that any car with an imported engine can be priced competitively. The duties are just way too high in India.
I know of few which are all imported engines.

1. Hyundai Verna.
2. Ford Fiesta.
3. Ford Endeavour.
4. Mahindra Renault Logan.

These are all diesels. The petrol engine which is bieng imported is SX4.
Old 27th May 2007, 11:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Any concrete details on the endy yet ???
Old 28th May 2007, 00:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Vitara coming in as CBU?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks