Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?
Yes 149 30.16%
No 345 69.84%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?

For me these are only gimmicks to attract buyers. With the number of cars increasing day by day and no road safety awareness, its a shame that even today most drivers are not aware of road signs. I think the Govt should enforce stricter rules so you will not have cars and bikes running on the wrong side of the roads, cattle roaming freely, never ending infra projects that block the roads. While the cars more modern these days, until the peripheral systems are not upgraded, its not worth paying a premium for features like ADAS
patwardhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:52   #47
BHPian

Voted No, because of all the aforementioned reasons by other forum members .

My specific comment on one specific area about some ADAS are custom designed for congested road conditions like in the PRC or in South East Asia by some of the larger Asian OEMs - is that congestion, unidirectional flow of traffic, lack of lane markings or non-uniformity in road signage/markings are all discernible by advanced AI enabled ADAS, but - I am 100% sure no ADAS with even the best AI can deal with thousands of lunatics deciding to create a short cut by driving on the wrong side of the road, or the other thousands of Iron Men and Women we have who decide to abruptly take a jay walk in the middle of a road - just because they have the proverbial hand of God - all they have to to do is raise it and the car stops.

Regrettably I doubt AI can teach ADAS the proverbial "hand of God" technique.

Such level of automation is a nice to have, but has unacceptable downside risks in our country for the foreseeable future.
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Shouldn't the government step in and regulate the driver assist electronics and automation in parallel to what we as a country can handle, based on detailed analysis and study? I'm surprised Mahindra could launch the ADAS XUV700 (I could already see pics of rear ended XUV700s with reason cited as likely ADAS behavior which the driver behind couldn't predict) with no approval whatsoever, going to show how dumb we are as a country.
Detailed analysis and study? Sorry, but looks like a cruel joke.

I mean this is country where millions of drivers get driving licenses without even visiting an RTO office or a test. Roads are death traps, basic lane and pedestrian markings are absent and lane discipline is probably worse than what a group of sheep would exhibit and people drive on wrong side, left and right (pun intended).
I would be happy if the govt could handle some of those first. We are not even ready for basic ADAS like cruise control yet. Lie down, the guys in Ministry of Transport may get another idea to seek rent from Mahindra in name of "regulating" the "futuristic ADAS" features in vehicles in name of public safety.
OffRoadFun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 19:28   #49
BHPian

I am generally against government stepping in to regulate anything.

Our Government is incapable of enforcing even 10-20% of the existing regulations. I see no reasons for them to bring in new ones.

First let them show that they are capable of designing and building roads that don't look like moon craters or speed breakers that do a number on sedans. Let them come up with rational speed limits and enforce them.

Once they are able to do all these things on a consistent basis, our babus/netas can start to opine on my freedom to purchase a car with the features I want.
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:45   #50
BHPian

We don't ride/drive on our roads. We play a mental game with people . Only objective is that all must walk away winners.

In such a scenario, I am trying to read 1 or 10 minds around me while they are doing the same as well, all in one tenth of a second . Last thing I want is for the car to override my thought process and decide something on its own!. That is as good as a mechanical failure or a malfunction on the war zones called Indian roads.
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:05   #51

Get ready for a rear end?

It would create more mayhem on our unpredictable road conditions.
I always struggle to use cruise control, leave alone the advanced systems.

I use auto pilot ( Tesla ) on highways.
It phantom braked randomly due to an overpass shadow, confused it for a truck.

I almost created a pileup.
Smashed the accelerator pedal, Instant torque helped me in getting out of the situation.

Tesla fixed it in the later updates, can't trust it completely.

Pros? It saved me from fender benders, drifting into the opposite lanes, auto braking etc.
gvarma9989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:20   #52
BHPian

My take is that there is no harm. Folks who buy vehicles with these assists will quickly realize where they can or cannot use them. I would assume there will be some expressways and national highways where this could come in handy, especially to those who drive for long hours. There will be some initial niggles and I hope the cost of coming up the learning curve is not too high.

Having said that, our focus should continue to be to make our road infrastructure robust along with enforcement of rules. As long as there are poorly trained, poorly certified, testosterone fuelled maniacs behind the wheels who are not reigned in through proper governance and enforcement, the cost of human lives will continue to be high and as a result, these aids will continue to look like gimmicks when they should be a boon.

Increasingly, with the purchasing power of people increasing, I am witness to more capable cars on the road but the sad part is they are being driven like errant autos and two wheelers. So no matter what sophisticated assists are available, these behaviours will effectively nullify them all
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:48   #53
BHPian

Voted yes. Invasive ADAS like pedestrian safety are downright useless, especially in urban environments.

However, lane departure, sleep detection, vehicle movement and other "alert" systems are invaluable for those who drive a lot on highways.

I use the ADAS that came as part of my dashcam and have been extremely happy with it. It has saved me lakhs of rupees since I don't feel the urge to upgrade to a newer car .

Car : 2006 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDi
Dashcam/ADAS : 70mai pro GPS
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:10   #54
BHPian

Voted Yes. Assuming ADAS can be switched OFF or ON, I would like to have it in a car if I am to buy one currently and plan to use it for next 5~8 years to make it future proof too.. Fate of Cruise Control (in good sense) would be repeated to ADAS in my opinion too.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:00   #55
BHPian

There are a lot of convenience , direct and indirect safety features ADAS offers. I for one have decided not to buy my next primary car which doesn’t offer these features.

ACC is the answer for all comments above which say cruise control couldn’t be used for more than a few minutes at a stretch. AEB is the answer for a random bloke who decided to stop a car abruptly. I would imagine, in general, front on collisions are more dangerous than rear end collisions.

Our infra has to improve, but we can’t wait eternally for that to introduce ADAS, else it becomes a chicken and egg story.

We weren’t ready for super fast cars, in fact some places are still not suitable. Some people say it’s dangerous to drive them on roads, but it’s not if the user knows how to drive them. Similarly ADAS is not dangerous if the user knows how to drive them. It’s a process of learning them and people should get adapted to it. It will most definitely make the roads a safer place.
bharathan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:25   #56
BHPian

When Volvo introduced the three point seat belt, it took six years of promotion to persuade a minority of Swedes to use the new design. People are always hesitant to adopt something new, even if it’s life saving. I don’t know if India is ready or if it would ever be, but I can clearly see from this thread that most Indians aren’t.
shibulijack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
When Volvo introduced the three point seat belt, it took six years of promotion to persuade a minority of Swedes to use the new design. People are always hesitant to adopt something new, even if it’s life saving. I don’t know if India is ready or if it would ever be, but I can clearly see from this thread that most Indians aren’t.
Well, the reality is most Indians on this forum will love to use ADAS. It's after all a great safety assistance. However, the way most Indians outside this forum drive while breaking all rules and etiquettes it's just not feasible to take full advantage of ADAS. But, it's a start. Who knows in few years people will become more wiser and ADAS more useful to us.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:40   #58
BHPian

Here goes Honda offering Sensing 360, but starting in China in 2022. Good move Honda! Please bring it to India soon.

Source

Regards,
lsjey
Old 23rd October 2021, 22:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

I voted 'No' as the ADAS system is going to be confused in our traffic conditions. However I am glad that Mahindra and MG are bringing this tech to the mass market because we need to start somewhere and this will only help to fine-tune these systems to our conditions in the long run.
I also believe that the ADAS system in XUV700 may work better than what is there on the Volvos simply because of the extensive testing they have done (I think the reason why Mahindra twins were always found being tested in a groups could be due to this) in India.
It will be interesting to see how certain type of accident settlements will be handled as drivers blaming the ADAS system and Mahindra possibly putting the blame on drivers. Mahindra/MG should better come up with a plan to educate the drivers about how their ADAS system behaves, dos and don'ts and put a huge disclaimer.

Last edited by Guna : 23rd October 2021 at 22:05.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 08:22   #60
BHPian

Note to Moderators: I’m unable to edit my previous post but wanted to add some important data I found recently. Request you to merge these posts.

Mercedes Benz research has analysed actual road accidents in India where there was serious injury or death due to a car colliding with the rear of a truck or of another car. They only took scenarios where ADAS would have detected a potential collision. They then performed simulations to understand what percent of these injuries/fatalities could have been reduced/prevented by AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) systems.

Note the real world data: “ It was observed that the impact speed greater than 50 km/h, the potential risk of AIS3+ injury was greater than 67% & of AIS6 injury was greater than 29%. While for impact speed greater than 64 km/h, the potential risk of AIS3+ injury was greater than 79% & of AIS6 injury was greater than 45%.”

AIS6 injuries are ones that lead to a fatality and AIS 3 means serious injury.

https://www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/Procee...ESV-000399.pdf

The results are striking. AEB could have prevented 48% of these collisions altogether and reduced the severity of the others by various amounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
1. ADAS will be useful in those situations where you would be unable to respond. Either because you have slept over the wheel or if you have a seizure or a cardiac arrest etc
2. Will it lead to more rear endings in India? Perhaps yes.
3. Yet the fact that it might save your life or of pedestrians when you land in the scenario 1 above should be sufficient to bear the cost of some rear endings as in 2.

This is a real world study by IIHS. While the caveat that what works in the US doesn’t work the same way in India applies, the benefit is surely not going to be 0 in India.
https://www.iihs.org/media/259e5bbd-...A-benefits.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?-dd482484e21044d5a2e9bd0439c881a2.jpeg  

StopUnderrides is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed