Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?
Yes 149 30.16%
No 345 69.84%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2022, 08:40   #91
BHPian

Re: Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?

Our family owns an MG Astor with adas features. I have driven it extensively on the highways in Karnataka with ACC + LKA and I must say it works pretty well even in stop go traffic. It is impressive to see the lane keep functionality work. One must however know the limitations of the systems
1. Detection of stationary objects on road is very bad or not possible at all by the system.
2. It is best to deactivate system at intersections as crossing vehicles cannot be well detected by system.
3. Two wheeler detection is not as good as the 4 wheelers.

Below is a video link showing some of my experience.
Akhilesh Rai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 16:29   #92
BHPian

Another demo of ACC on undivided roads. As expected motorbikes / 2 wheelers pose some challenges, also vehicles cutting in to the driving lane pose some challenges.
However these are predictable and hence deactivating acc when encountering such scenarios is one way to live with acc on such roads.
Akhilesh Rai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:15   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilesh Rai View Post
Another demo of ACC on undivided roads. As expected motorbikes / 2 wheelers pose some challenges, also vehicles cutting in to the driving lane pose some challenges.
However these are predictable and hence deactivating acc when encountering such scenarios is one way to live with acc on such roads.
https://Youtu.be/VT1TPmAxUFU
Does the car also recognise the pedestrians crossing the road? I have seen a lot of pedestrians just running across the road usually near rural area. I have never seen any blogger or any post regarding this car recognising pedestrians.
Nonetheless very detailed video explaining the benefits and short comings of ACC and LKA. Only if our country's traffic management becomes better, people actually start following rules and proper road infrastructure including proper lane marking is done, we will have a better and safer commute and features like ADAS will be more usable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th January 2022 at 19:32. Reason: Grammar.
Old 26th January 2022, 12:36   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooravB View Post
Does the car also recognise the pedestrians crossing the road? I have seen a lot of pedestrians just running across the road usually near rural area. I have never seen any blogger or any post regarding this car recognising pedestrians.
Nonetheless very detailed video explaining the benefits and short comings of ACC and LKA. Only if our country's traffic management becomes better, people actually start following rules and proper road infrastructure including proper lane marking is done, we will have a better and safer commute and features like ADAS will be more usable.
ACC systems are mainly comfort systems and the current gen systems don't react to pedestrians.
However AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) systems are safety critical applications and are capable of reacting to pedestrians, provided the car is under the speed of 40kmph. However testing this on open roads is not possible, as it risks lives.
NCAP authorities test these features extensively with those pedestrian dummies and give the car a rating. In EuroNCAP in 2022 it is impossible for a car to get 5 star rating without an AEB system. So coming to MG Astor , as it comes with both ACC and AEB , you can hope that the car brakes when it sees a pedestrian jump in front of the car. ( this option needs to be activated in the menu though)
Old 26th January 2022, 14:47   #95
BHPian

In my view only ADAS voice guidance and not mechanical intervention should be implemented. ADAS erratic semi braking has been experienced by me while testing XUV700 with a friend of mine when he was navigating the car behind two cows on the road.

The rear of the car was almost hit as a result and since the car was not slow to began with the sudden brake caused my friend to first oversteer to the left and then to the right.
Old 6th February 2022, 03:29   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
In my view only ADAS voice guidance and not mechanical intervention should be implemented. ADAS erratic semi braking has been experienced by me while testing XUV700 with a friend of mine when he was navigating the car behind two cows on the road.

The rear of the car was almost hit as a result and since the car was not slow to began with the sudden brake caused my friend to first oversteer to the left and then to the right.
The ADAS Level 2 systems come in various varieties. Some may use Camera only for detection, some others may go with Radar only while most systems are what is called a Fusion system where both camera and radar are used.
Coming to the camera, these cameras are shown thousands of examples of cars, trucks, bikes, bicycles , pedestrians so that it can learn to detect these. Basically through machine learning techniques the cameras have proven very robust. However the cameras are not trained to detect animals, at least the main stream cameras, and hence their detection is questionable.
Also the radar may not be good in detecting animals as the reflectivity is low ( metals have higher reflectivity). Moreover, radar is already very bad at detecting stationary objects, and hence a cow standing on the middle of the road is close to impossible for the radar.
These level 2 systems were never meant to be total self driving. The driver is always required to be observing the road and be able to takeover at any point. A good way to use these systems is to know their limitations.
1. Stationary cars/trucks/bikes most likely pose difficulties. Hence best to deactivate the system when approaching one. HOWEVER, if that vehicle was seen as moving by the system and then this vehicle came to a stop , example at a traffic light, such objects should be detected well.
2. Barricades, concrete blocks, animals, pedestrians and other non moving objects will definitely not be detected. Don't expect the car to brake here.
3. Vehicles crossing at intersections may not be detected. Hence best to deactivate when approaching intersections and round abouts.
4. If the sun is just over the horizon and blinding you, it is most likely blinding the camera as well. In such cases the performance might be deteriorated, as the system only relies on radar then. Same we driving under heavy rain.
5. Two wheelers are always a challenge. Most systems are not smart enough to figure there is driving space within the lane to overtake the two wheeler driving on the left edge of the road. Hence best to deactivate system when two wheeler in front.
6. Vehicles cutting into the lane, especially if the lane is curved and there are no good lane marking is always a tricky situation. Be aware.
7. If there is no leading vehicle, then the speed at curves, or approaching speed brakers, potholes should be adjusted manually. Future ACC systems should be able read the maps and slow the car down for the curve,but the current gen ones don't.
8. At stop go traffic everything works perfectly as long as there is no two wheeler in front of you.

Bottom line is, Adas Level 2 is NOT giving the car self driving capabilities. It is just assisting the driver, and driver needs have his hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
One must accept that there is a certain learning curve to getting used to driving with ACC. At first it might feel more cumbersome than driving manually but slowly with time you will begin to trust the system as you understand it's limitations.

My experiences are mainly from MG ASTOR , which has a camera + radar system.
Akhilesh Rai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 22:32   #97
Senior - BHPian

How fast do the brake pads and disc's fade out in a vehicle with ADAS? It must be say around 15k kms where they'll require change in Indian traffic conditions, I think.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 22nd June 2022 at 22:34.
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:32   #98
BHPian

Voted 'Yes'

Saying India is not ready for it is never a good start to solving problems. Only if ADAS goes mainstream in all cars, the system will improve and the benefits will be visible. Its a human tendency to resist change. However, one should accept some changes which are good for humanity at large.

Couple of benefits (other than common ones):
1) Leads to reduction in insurance cost - More prevalent outside India. Usually, insurance company reduces premium for a much more safer car
2) Save you from hitting cow/dog on highway!

Imagine a connected future where cars talk to each other via such sensors / IOT, using continuously improving AI/ML and making roads safer place to be on!
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
How fast do the brake pads and disc's fade out in a vehicle with ADAS? It must be say around 15k kms where they'll require change in Indian traffic conditions, I think.
Not really. Brake pad life hardly has an influence with ADAS unless you are letting it fully brake for you every now and then. That sort of braking would be uncomfortable for any driver that too if done repeatedly. Otherwise, the braking will be normal and so will be the brake pad life. I have a test car with me which we repeatedly do hard braking and still get around 5-6k kms of pad life. And this is a car which will eat brake pads when driven hard.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:31   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
In my view only ADAS voice guidance and not mechanical intervention should.....
The 70mai dashcam has level 0 Adas. It is surprising good at detecting 2/4 wheelers, Pedestrian and lane changing. But it is extremely annoying with too many alerts.

"The front vehicle has moved"
Yes he is jumping the signal, what you want me to do ?

I had to disable it.
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:34   #101
Kln
BHPian

The only ADAS you will ever need in India is a loud horn, that's all.

Our population density and town planning or lack of thereof, make it impossible for ADAS as envisioned to be a practical utility.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd June 2022 at 19:34. Reason: Please don't play with words to turn offensive words into something which 'll float. It won't. Thanks for understanding..
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 19:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

One ADAS function that I'd like to see in India, is for the nose camera/radar to scan the road ahead for unmarked speed breakers and warn/brake accordingly just returned from a highway drive and was jolted twice by unmarked speed breakers which I saw after it was too late. Even though I've done this route almost 4 times in the last 2 months...

Last edited by Durango Dude : 18th August 2022 at 19:55.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 19:10   #103
BHPian

Let's add a pothole detector to the Indian ADAS wishlist.
echo77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 17:57   #104
BHPian

Just curious, can ADAS detect speed bumps in road, I guess not. Wouldn’t that be an interesting ADAS feature to have? It would make a big difference for our highways, Bangalore in particular, where infrastructure is planned by a bunch of clowns who have no business overseeing the work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
Let's add a pothole detector to the Indian ADAS wishlist.
If enabled, cars will simply not move in Bangalore as there is no way around !

Last edited by SR-71 : 7th October 2022 at 18:03.
SR-71 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 18:45   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Just curious, can ADAS detect speed bumps in road, I guess not. Wouldn’t that be an interesting ADAS feature to have?
Yup. we can use Terrain mapping systems(StereoVision, Lidar etc ) . It was part of the essential ADAS system when I worked in that domain during 2010 - 14. No idea what is the status these days.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks