Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?
Yes 149 30.16%
No 345 69.84%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2022, 21:30   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is India ready for ADAS & driver-assist systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Just curious, can ADAS detect speed bumps in road, I guess not. Wouldn’t that be an interesting ADAS feature to have?
It is detectable by sensors but currently no mass market system reacts to it. Road humps is predominantly a UK concept which has trickled down to India and mass market ADAS systems do not consider UK as a huge customer base, similar to India. However, we can expect some reaction to be provided in the coming days. As of now systems react to red traffic lights and stop symbol.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 21:57   #107
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Indians need to learn disciplined driving once. ADAS maybe disciplined but our roads are definitely not.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 22:37   #108
BHPian

Not sure about full ADAS, but AEB is what can be a life saver. In mid April, I rear ended a truck at 7 AM in the morning as I probably slept while driving on an almost empty Bangalore - Hyderabad highway. AEB might have avoided this accident.
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 14:42   #109
BHPian

I recently did a drive in medium to heavy traffic with ACC + LKA on Indian roads. The drive lasted roughly 30 mins (20 Kms) and needed 15 human interventions, most of which could be considered system limitations. However, it is pretty annoying for the end user owing not many are aware of the limitations in the first place. I feel it helps if people opting adas packages have some inclination towards the tech behind it and know where in lies the weaknesses of the system.
Also would love to see real world comparison tests from Indian auto reviewers also on adas products. Example pit the MG Astor adas against the Mahindra Xuv 700 adas. Would be of great interest to lot of people here.

For now here is my humble honest effort to show the ground reality:
Akhilesh Rai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 16:32   #110
d.j
BHPian

voted Yes, sure, both we and the technology have to adapt to our circumstances. We not ready cannot be a reason for not admitting to start, both are corelated in a sense and one leads to the other.

Regards/DJ
d.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 23:51   #111
BHPian

YES,
ADAS is going to be available in more and more car this year, this is the seed for self driving cars.

Fine tuning will continue.
One feature of ADAS that could actually save lives is AEB.

Imagine in Pant's case, had AEB been there, impact with the median would have been minimum.
Old 1st January 2023, 11:22   #112

I believe India is ready for Driver Assistant systems because there is need (especially countering the number of accidents) and also there is a strong start up incubation environment which triggers localized innovation.

One possible functional area could be,
With a tremendous growth in the National Highway system in India and the step towards Smart Infrastructure in the highways, it is possible to deliver good signally systems for the Commercial vehicle drivers on possible traffic information, equip commercial vehicle drivers with driver drowsiness detection, augment the platooning use case for commercial vehicles which can support in simplifying the logistics across India.
Old 1st January 2023, 14:34   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Forget ADAS and all.

India needs a very stringent Driving License issuance and monitoring policy. And very strong deterrents by way of strictly enforced punishments.

We also require a very strong vehicle Maintenance Policy along with strongly enforced monitoring systems with tough punishments for non conformance.

And we need to teach all these things at primary school level onwards itself.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 22:00   #114
BHPian

No ways that ADAS is going to help in our current way of generally bad driving behaviour on the roads. With ill disciplined drivers all around and people abusing the ADAS of the XUV7OO in the manner depicted in this news item, I just shudder to think about the chaos it will unleash once a large number of ADAS vehicles are driven like this by some morons. Put in our ubiquitous cows, tractors, overloaded Tata Magics and Apes to the mix, and yes, there's the sure shot recipe for disaster.

Quoting from the link -

"The video shows the driver with his feet up on the seats playing cards in the moving SUV. The man has left control of the steering wheel."

https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/watch-m...-3596909/amp/1
Old 16th April 2023, 11:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilesh Rai View Post
I recently did a drive in medium to heavy traffic with ACC + LKA on Indian roads.
You should driving ADAS on Access controlled expressway or Tolled highways. Even in Europe you cannot drive with ADAS in Cities at all, here you might find humps and two wheelers, there you will have bus lanes, rapidly changing speed limits road to road.

Italians also drive in Zig-Zag, bumper to bumper, even in highways, but ADAS works great on their highways, yes you have to switch off ADAS when it gets too crowded there also. I drove VW T-CROSS R-LINE rental car for 15 days in 5 countries in Europe for 4500 kms, just love the utility in highways. Its a shame that same car VW has disabled ADAS in Tiagun even though it has hardware to support ADAS and ACC.

In Expressways or Highways in India, ACC enabled ADAS feature is more useful than plain vanilla Cruise Control, where you have to set every time you brake.

I test drove MG Astor in NICE road in Bangalore for 20 kms, same experience as I was driving in Italian highways. Just that i was not impressed with its engine. Just waiting for KIA seltos to launch ADAS in 2023 model, would pick it up instantly even if its 1 Lakh more than non-ADAS model.

Its funny to say Indians or Indian roads are not ready for ADAS, i would say its perfect for Indian roads. There are people who still think Automatic Gears are not for India, while we all know now its perfect for Indian roads, especially for traffic situation like in Bangalore. Hope manufacturers and people realize it soon, ADAS with Automatic Cruise control with Radar is perfect for India.

Last edited by shamanth : 16th April 2023 at 11:11.
Old 16th April 2023, 19:03   #116
BHPian

The only feature among ADAS suite which I feel should be made mandatory is Automated Emergency brakes(AES). This is definitely a safety feature and comes into picture to avoid collision after the vehicle computer doesn't detect any braking action by driver. Rest all features are too risky for Indian scenario.
This system works like a second layer of safety mechanism in the event primary braking mechanism (Driver Himself) fails.
But what about Adaptive cruise control. Here the vehicle computers follow the speed of the car ahead and apply brakes on their own when needed. Here the computers are not waiting for the primary mechanism (Driver) to apply brakes.
How many of us would like to depend on sensors(Radar or Visual) to take over a vital function such as braking. These sensors can fail unexpectedly, after all these are computer controlled sensors. Ofcourse the driver can take over when sensors fail, but his response time available to him will be less. This i feel is a recipe for disaster in Indian scenerio where service centres have "Kaam chalau" attitude and may not detect a failing sensor during service.
Also these systems have trickled down from luxury cars to now mass market cars. This again is dangerous as in case of luxury cars they might have numerous fail safe mechanisms that make these system work. But in case of mass market cars the manufacturer will definitely use "Striped down" version of these systems. So a poorly implemented ADAS will no longer be safety system but may actually make it worse safety wise.
Old 16th April 2023, 19:57   #117
BHPian

I'm using partial ADAS features in my XUV700. I've switched off AEBS.

Have enabled collision warning, and lane change alert. This really helps as we get a vibration alert plus a sound alert.

Anyways would be screwing up my brake pads, if AEBS is enabled in Kerala. Would definitely enable it once outside Kerala.
Old 20th April 2023, 21:43   #118

While it makes sense to have additional safety features to cut down driver reaction times in emergencies, ADAS in India needs proper fine-tuning to avoid any unintended reactions.

Occasionally, one might encounter objects on our roads like barricades, small stones, stray animals, fallen packaging materials, etc. I hope the Indian car manufacturers have sincerely tested out how their ADAS systems respond in such scenarios (given that there could be several variations in the appearance of such objects).

Another point worth highlighting is that radar and sensor based ADAS systems are considerably more reliable in comparison to camera-only ADAS systems. It seems as though the application of ADAS in India is still maybe in a beta stage and the early adopters could be testers of sorts. Also, it seems unlikely that automotive manufacturers would willingly take liability in case of any incidents caused by faulty/malfunctioning sensors or cameras in their ADAS systems.
Old 17th May 2023, 16:14   #119
BHPian

Are We Losing Our Driving Skill Because of ADAS?

There are several threads on ADAS (Advance Driver Assistance System) in this forum. Many entry-level cars are coming with some ADAS features in today's date. While the implication and efficacy of ADAS in Indian driving conditions is a separate discussion I would like to invoke a basic question through this thread, 'Are emerging ADAS features diminishing the driving skill?'.

Recently, I witnessed a person in my neighbourhood struggling to parallel-park a small car (apparently, he was attempting to position an older car brought to his place by some guests) without parking sensors, and eventually, the parking debacle resulted in some minor paint damages to his and another car.

Here, some may be purists about cars sans the need of some basic creature comfort or so-called fancy features and bling, some people think OEMs are pushing superfluous features into a car making the customer pay more for features he/she never desires to use, some consider these as a boon for the drivers, and if I endeavour to list down all of them the spectrum can really span over minus to plus infinity with varying degree of opinions.

As habit is the second nature, the ever-increasing influx of ADAS tech. in cars can blunt the driving skill and basic road sense or judgment, perhaps in the forthcoming days.

However, please pitch in with your views on whether ADAS is indeed contributing to the deterioration of the driving skill en masse, or not.

Mods: Please merge this thread if there is a similar one.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 17th May 2023 at 16:18.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 19:32   #120
BHPian

Re: Are We Losing Our Driving Skill Because of ADAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
There are several threads on ADAS (Advance Driver Assistance System) in this forum. Many entry-level cars are coming with some ADAS features in today's date. While the implication and efficacy of ADAS in Indian driving conditions is a separate discussion I would like to invoke a basic question through this thread, 'Are emerging ADAS features diminishing the driving skill?'.

However, please pitch in with your views on whether ADAS is indeed contributing to the deterioration of the driving skill en masse, or not.

Mods: Please merge this thread if there is a similar one.
Have found ADAS very useful in numerous ways, however under current traffic conditions the results here are still"work in progress"though in some cases becomes even more relevant given the extremely high road death count in India.
Lets take the adaptive cruise control first:
This keeps a certain minimum distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead.Takes a portion of the risk out of the equation especially considering decreasing distance may be spotted late, then you react and press the brakes whereas the ADAS has already spotted it and acted upon it saving valuable time.
For older drivers with slowing reflexes this is even more useful.
Additionally can you be sure that trucks both large and small have their brake lights working?.Very likely not in India,that alone is one safety feature that can be priceless.Some cars even have a speed limiter built into this feature if you happen to be driving without cruise control like in city traffic.Comes in handy to avoid getting pulled over.
Blind spot:As the name indicates this is something you would like to be informed off especially if planning a lane switch.
Lane keeping: This may be a feature of lesser importance in India because lanes are not always marked and therefore can't be read by the ADAS,however the extra resistance felt while changing lanes is a reminder that you need to switch on the indicator, you will soon get into the habit of using turn indicator when changing lanes if you're not already doing it.
Other miscellaneous ADAS features:These include pedestrian safety alarms and braking etc depending upon the items fitted.
To summarise, let's not be defeatist that in India it is like this only and traffic will never improve.We have to believe this will change for the better.

Last edited by Carevidence : 17th May 2023 at 19:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks