Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2007, 22:34   #31
BHPian

What I here is that Honda (City) has already started giving some free accessories. That too at Dealers' expense
Old 23rd May 2007, 22:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
What I here is that Honda (City) has already started giving some free accessories. That too at Dealers' expense
Both Honda dealers in Bangalore have some sort of free accessories package for NHC since mid-year. I got few goodies in Nov'06.
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Other manufacturers should take the cue and offer value (and potentially life saving) features like ABS/EBD, Integrated stereo, climate control, airbags..and I am talking 2 airbags atleast. Charging 70k extra for a single airbag is downright stupid!

As someone pointed out, these are features offered on high end cars or outrageously priced versions of certain cars. The SX4 will change all that.
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course people will want it. For one, they arent paying a premium for it when you compare it to the NHC pricing. Second, there is a lot of media coverage on accidents lately...and this will only lead to safety climbing up the priority ladder. Lastly, customers are getting more tech-savvy and increasingly aware of different options available. I hear a lot of non-car women also talk about airbags.

@Ballkey : Good point with the Fusion. It sure offered a lot butttttttttttttttt among other things...the positioning killed it.
Yes, people (especially those looking at the C/C+ segment) are getting more safety-aware and would prefer a car with all these features over a car without them, with other aspects being comparable. Honda has enjoyed close to superstar status in this segment, but now the SX4 seems to be really pulling the carpet from under its feet. Now, it really needs to get its act together.

IMHO, Honda could've foreseen what was coming and established an even firmer footing with better features and pricing, especially since the SX4 launch was on the anvil for quite a while.

OT(?): This is really beginning to look like the Mr.Bachchan (older, refined) v SRK (cool, dynamic) showdown!

@Ballkey, the Fusion had done pretty well as an Urban Activity Vehicle in Europe, but to do decent volumes here, their mandate was clear - to break through the above-average Indian's obsession with the sedan and position it as an equally "elite" choice.

But they failed quite badly in their attempts, and hence almost everyone ended up calling it an overpriced, gas-guzzling hatch. Well, the new "no-nonsense" campaign is quite interesting, but I am not sure they are seeing a lot of traction in Fusion sales even now.
Old 24th May 2007, 06:25   #35
BHPian

GM, Honda, Toyota have global volumes that are much bigger than Suzuki and if they want to, they can beat suzuki at the pricing game if they want to. So far everyone in the industry has been content with selling hugely overpriced, old-tech, under-featured cars and then going around complaining that Indians dont pay for features. Suddenly someone has started playing a different tune.

The biggies (the Japs in particular) never really considered India as a huge market obsessed as they were with China, which is why we have global also-ran's like Suzuki leading the car segment (and LG leading the domestic appliances segment, there are other examples) which is somewhat of an accident of history. Now they are waking up.

Now things are different. If a car brand/manf. cant get his act together in the next two years or so in India (it could be less), he can forget this market for this generation at least. And no CEO wants to say that to his shareholders.

More cars could be launched this year and next than the last 50 years of independence. We are living in interesting times indeed!.

Last edited by ggkg : 24th May 2007 at 06:27.
Old 24th May 2007, 06:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
The biggies (the Japs in particular) never really considered India as a huge market obsessed as they were with China, which is why we have global also-ran's like Suzuki leading the car segment
Any auto major worth his weight in salt will admit that India is a major market. It is regulations and other policies and taxes that keep them away from becoming significant players. If they cannot garner volumes, then it does not make sense for them to do significant local investments, and that, in a vicious circle, keeps prices high and volumes low.

In comparison the only thing they battle in China is rip-offs, especially the bike manufacturers. GM/ VW/ Toyota/ Honda are major local players because they anyway were running global mfg programs from China for many years.

BTW Suzuki vehicles sell in other markets as Opel and GM brands and no one gets to know. The WagonR was sold as the Opel Agila in EU.

Quote:
(and LG leading the domestic appliances segment, there are other examples) which is somewhat of an accident of history. Now they are waking up.
Consumer appliances in India is all about pricing. Only the Koreans have got it right so far. If Philips could sell cheaper and better, people would have bought them instead.

Quote:
More cars could be launched this year and next than the last 50 years of independence. We are living in interesting times indeed!.
Very interesting note. WHere were these guys all these decades
Old 24th May 2007, 06:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I've sat in an Indica and Getz,and I dont think they compare with a Fusion. I can understand the sedan == prestige factor, but that doesnt take away the car's capabilities. I'd wager the Skoda Fabia would be launched at Fusion's prices.(when it eventually is launched)

I think it was done in purely by high-priced spares, oddball styling & Ford marketing incompetence. Also, a diesel option could've helped.
If you were to approach developing a NEW vehicle from FIRST PRINCIPLES, i.e. no vehicle existed, and looked at the needs of most developing markets, then I wager that you'd come up with a configuration very similar to the Fusion. It is a very intelligently designed car - practical in the city, stable on the highways, and enough space to carry your weekend gear.

With the legacy of differently styled cars, and the middle class obsession with Sedans, people just didnt see the point of the Fusion. Such cars require popular evangelists, and the Fusion didnt have one. Ford should have also tried to market technological superiority, even if they didnt have any.
Old 24th May 2007, 11:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have already mentioned it in another thread the best thing about the sx4 is maruti has defined the c segment for other manufacturers,otherwise c segment was heading into almost d segment pricing here.

The pricing of the c segment cars was no way justifiable and things would have got worse because toyota would have come up with the vios with around a 9 lakh+ tag,ford I feel would have put in a 1.6 into the fiesta and again raised the price for the model to 9 lakh+ so also I feel honda too would just have increased prices slowly.The verna is already selling with a steep price tag isn't it?

What the sx4 has done is wonderful even for people who may not necessarily be wanting to go in for a maruti car.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Fusion. Great car for city and weekend jaunts. The engine... A good diesel little more powerful than that on Fiesta with right pricing might do the trick. Manufacturers are not getting everything right (engine, price, features) except Maruti. It shows.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:12   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
The pricing of the c segment cars was no way justifiable and things would have got worse because toyota would have come up with the vios with around a 9 lakh+ tag,ford I feel would have put in a 1.6 into the fiesta and again raised the price for the model to 9 lakh+ so also I feel honda too would just have increased prices slowly.The verna is already selling with a steep price tag isn't it?
Quite a valid point you have there Rahul regarding the pricing of the C segmenters.

Just wondering, the Fiesta already comes with a 1.6 petrol, right?
Old 24th May 2007, 13:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Was caught up with some work so could not complete the post properly,I meant the fiesta 1.6 TDCi.
Old 24th May 2007, 14:42   #42
BHPian

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
The strange thing is, just a couple of years ago, a car was launched with almost identical features: 198mm gc, 195/60/R15 tyres, ABS-EBD,rear armrest, 60-40 rear folding seats, a torquey 1.6 litre petrol engine, decent FE, integrated audio, a great gearshift, and equally awesome handling. It was the driver's car of the year too. Priced identical to SX4.

Well, nobody cared - not even folks here. I'm talking about the Ford Fusion+. At the end, people want conservative styling, cheap spares, and the service backup of a giant like Maruti. Can't blame them
good thing for me-- was-- I spotted the fusion+.

the ABS was the clincher. couple of test drives- i decided.

I am still ripping her apart--38,000KMs Gone

Test drove the SX4 also. good ones, with air bags too.

That will be my next car. in 4/5 months.
Old 6th June 2007, 14:04   #43
BHPian

Interesting thread, not sure how I missed it till now.

After ~6 months of research, I shortlisted NHC & SX4. That time, SX4 spec's & prices weren't out, I waited for it.

Soon as they were out, I immediately booked it (before launch in Blore). Calculation was straight away simple: After paying 8.12L OTR for NHC Exi, I would still end up in spending 20-30k to get basic stuffs like keyless entry, stereo, etc - whereas, in SX4, just by paying same price, I get everything and lot more features like ABS, etc.

When Honda dealer called me to check status, I asked if they would decrease price or give discount/goodies, he replied "No way Sir, We are Honda"!! Over-confident

MUL has put Honda and others in tight corner to redefine their package (features, price, etc).

Autocar magazine this month mentioned that NHC is gearing up to give ABS/Airbag, etc for just an increase of 20K - However it won't meet SX4's feature set, but people may still go for new NHC for Honda brand.

Any thoughts on how much market segment share SX4 will pick up from others (provided, MUL meets demand, otherwise people will cancel SX4 booking and go for NHC or so)?
Old 6th June 2007, 19:01   #44
mxx
BHPian

Any indication of Maruti bringing in the so called "mini SUV" 4WD SX4(5 door version) here. Makes good sense if priced right.
Old 6th June 2007, 22:27   #45
BHPian

Incidentally the maruti dealer called me today and offered 30k discount on SX4 Vxi model (no discount on Zxi). But he told me that the waiting period is now one month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks