Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 14:57   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

YES

Have had a Maruti since 5+ years - Baleno and it has been tight and does the job well. If its primarily city use added with some highway running, Maruti is a good bet. Ertiga CNG is a killer deal at just 10 lac something.

Anything premium and i will not prefer Maruti for sure.
With no diesel for S-Cross there isnt a Maruti i will buy north of 10 lacs.

My preference is the have a reliable machine with extensive service network and nothing beats Maruti here.
Also lets not forget, Fuel efficiency is a Maruti trait and i would surely love to own an efficient machine with decent safety.

Last edited by silverado : 26th October 2021 at 14:59.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

I have had my fair share of experiences with other brands in the last 15 years: Chevrolet, Fiat, Honda and am back to Maruti simply because others ceased to exist despite having good cars and I don't think I will ever switch to any other brand except Maruti and Hyundai. I do recommend the S-Cross, Ignis, Vitara Brezza and the Ciaz to my close ones.

People may say that Maruti is not coming up with better offerings, but for me, they were the first to give a proper usable seven seater under 10 lakhs. Guess what? I just got one without even taking a test drive. Then came the S-presso, sure that car lacks the finesse and safety of its competitor, but it is the most affordable hatchback with lots and lots of space and makes a lot of sense for people who cannot afford to buy expensive cars.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:24   #153
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I had a Wagon R : 2004 to 2012 : 125000km

Had a Swift from 2012-2018 : 95000km

Have a Suzuki Baleno 2018-now : 42000km

In the combined 262000km spread over 17 years on Maruti Suzuki cars, I never had to make any unscheduled service visits and never had one single issue where I had to escalate beyond the dealership. I am not sure I can get this amount of predictability with any other manufacturer (other than Toyota (I have two of them now)).

So definitely a strong Yes. My future cars will be Maruti Suzuki and Toyota.
raghukodali is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:30   #154
BHPian

I voted no for the following reasons.

1. Their service bills have skyrocketed in the last few years!
2. Go to service and come back with broken parts or new problems!
3. If I need to upgrade, there are no exciting models and new models are not so good looking ones.
4. The competition has better models albeit at a slightly higher cost.
5. Even if they launch EVs, I don't think they would be good looking ones and for me, form is as important as functionality.
Kannan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:32   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
Voted Yes.

In the combined 262000km spread over 17 years on Maruti Suzuki cars, I never had to make any unscheduled service visits and never had one single issue where I had to escalate beyond the dealership.
Gives a very underrated perspective. All said and done, no company provides this level of peace of mind. I was thinking of taking my Polo to Goa recently, but the fact that it was recently Flat-Bedded didnt give me the confidence to take the car. We took the Swift!! (2015 VXI)
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:43   #156
BHPian

I voted "No" as current crop of Maruti cars are unappealing and have no distinctive feel except the now extinct 1.6L S-cross. They do not have any appealing products in the 10L+ range and that's why many would say No. However, I could still see sales potential for their mass-market cars like Alto, WagonR etc. which are fuss free and cheap from people a) upgrading from 2-wheelers to a lower segment car b) looking for a part time city car c) old schoolers that play safe
nightraven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:48   #157
BHPian

Voted : No.

We still own our first car 'Our beloved Maruti 800' along with my eldest sister's Maruti Suzuki Swift and my elder sister's Tata Vista. We owned a Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline and replaced it with an Elite i20 CRDI Asta (O). Owning a Volkswagen taught me a lot about safety, good interiors and also the pleasure of riding a complete package. We replaced our Volkswagen Vento for it's repeated Fuel Injector issues but we still own our Maruti 800 because she was our first car and she is as reliable as a mother.

Maruti being the market leader in India, we expect a lot from them. But they are sleeping giants and they do not want to wake up. Though Kia and MG are new to our market, they gave us a lot of desired products and their success speaks up. Whereas Maruti hasn't released any new products which are desirable but they just simply sell their products based on an assumption that they are the superstar of India.

If you closely monitor the recent launches of Skoda Kushaq, XUV 700 and MG Astor, you can see a lot of excitement from the masses towards those products. But none of the recent Maruti products are exciting. It's sad to see a manufacturer like Maruti who gave us lot of successful products to the mass market is unable to come up with a good Product Planning and Strategy.

I want Maruti to have a strong comeback and we all know it's only up to them to decide and act.
TorqueKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:52   #158
BHPian

Voted No.

I have a VW Vento TDI (March 2012) 1.6 TDI which has now 'spoilt' me with it's fantastic engine, built quality, road dynamics and basically superior Fit and Finish compared to Maruti. I also happen to have an Astar (which my wife basically drives to office) which is a Zxi manual May 2009 model. We were deciding to get new vehicle but postponed the same due to covid. However, not once during our discussion were we considering maruti now. of course, the family as well as disposable income has grown over a period of almost 10 years, but what has not changed in a Maruti - same poor build quality, low powered (but high revving) engines, nothing to excite in terms of interiors, gear box or road dynamics, large footprint of after sales (large footprint but not excellent like toyota) and frugal nature of engines. So we were looking and discussing on options like Kwid, Tiago, Punch, i10, Santro but not Maruti.
Old 26th October 2021, 16:02   #159
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

Maruti will be my last choice. There are good options from other manufactures these days. When I say good it includes safety, features, electric powertrain, etc.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 16:13   #160
MCR
BHPian

No. Will not buy a MSIL car, even if they launch the Jimny.

Its simply not worth buying a cheap looking MSIL car (every way) when by paying 30% more one can get a Good car from other brands.

Recently, in July 2021, we test drove 3 MSIL cars. All of them had the similar looking boring interiors and did not really excite us.

My perspective : One can buy a MSIL car if the requirement is just a car. If one expects something special and would like to cherish the experience everyday and expect the car to wow, look elsewhere.

Last edited by MCR : 26th October 2021 at 16:14.
Old 26th October 2021, 16:25   #161
BHPian

Would you still buy a Maruti today?

Voted No,

A lot of friends and family still find it the best option.

In 2011 my wife had major injuries from an accident in a swift where the 'B' pillar came off, rendering the seatbelt useless. This was a frontal impact. She hit her head hard on the wind shield. Initially she was blamed for not wearing the seatbelt, but further investigation showed the seatbelt was used but not secured to the 'B' pillar during the crash.

The large scars my wife has keeps reminding us that not only will we never buy a Maruti, we prefer not to sit in one.
Old 26th October 2021, 16:30   #162
BHPian

Voted No.

I believe the choice would depend on the individual depending upon his preferences and requirements.

Personally, I would like to buy a car which is fun to drive, has good handling and is safe to ride. In Maruti stable, there is only one horse which can aspire to fulfill this requirement and that is S cross. Even here, the first generation S cross 1.6 diesel was the real contender.

regards
Old 26th October 2021, 16:53   #163
BHPian

Voted "Yes"

I actually bought a swift a month ago despite being a strong advocate for safety in cars and someone who had never recommended a maruti to anyone! Irony

The reason, I was looking for a second car for my parents (60+ years old). We have a Jeep Compass at home.
This second car was supposed to be a commuter for city which is reliable, efficient, small and easy to drive.

Swift was easily the only car within the budget that ticked all the boxes and with this update to 1.2 engine the fun to drive factor increased too!
Tiago was close but I have 3 Tatas in my close contacts of which 2 are literally annoyed of the niggles. I would not want that for my parents
Ford ran away
VW had a polo but comfort and reliability was a concern (also no service center near by)
and then there was Hyundai which is kind of similar to Maruti, chose maruti because of proximity to the service center

So yes, despite the safety concerns, I now understand why Maruti is #1 manufacturer and no its not herd mentality of Indians
shishir333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 16:54   #164
BHPian

We have owned and driven multiple models from the MS stable till about 2008. I always felt that their cars were just not up to the mark post 2008.

However, my perspective changed quite a bit a few days back when my company car turned out to be a new Dzire. I was not expecting much, but I was in for quite a surprise. The car is quite comfortable and is extremely easy to drive. The internal space is also quite decent and I must admit that this has rekindled my interest in the XL6.

The XL6 at the price point is quite a good offering sans the gear box which is supremely dated. I even cribbed to the SA that why MS didn't give the CVT of the Baleno, but then I changed my opinion after I drove both automatics back to back. The XL6 auto box might be dated but it's quite smooth and dare I say almost perfect for the city. Compared to the C-SUVs there is oodles of space in this car and the family also loved it

In fact I am trying to find out if there is an update coming any time soon, so if anyone has some info please share.

Some factors I feel tilt in favour of Maruti
1. Their distribution is extremely robust and its w-i-d-e-s-t
2. They have products with almost no competition or the competition is much more expensive.
3. Perception of being a family car and the 1st car still exists.

Like others I am also a bit worried that MS should not become another Nokia. Fingers crossed.
Old 26th October 2021, 17:02   #165
BHPian

Voted No, not that I have a personal grudge against Maruti. Our first car in the family was Maruti. Now, we have a Hyundai and Ford. I had a minor accident with the Maruti car and thankfully no one inside the car suffered any injuries. But, the car was a wreck due to a gentle dash by a truck. Even though I don't travel too much and mostly travel during the daytime, it's more of a mental thing to have a car with the decent build quality.
ketan007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks