Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 23:10   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

I have voted YES.
We presently have the S-Cross 1.6 and are happy owners. The current S Cross Petrol is very well priced, and the car is a great all rounder, though dated.

The main criteria for the chauffeur driven cars at home are safety (4 stars or higher if tested), comfort, practicality, abuse friendly, and easy to maintain.

While the Indian S Cross hasn't been tested, it scores well on other criteria. Fun to drive is a bonus for me and initially we were considering the 1.3 for chauffeur driven duties.
Interiors, performance, features, etc. weren't a priority.
Given this replaced the Etios, and there's a Corolla giving it company : if Maruti learns a few tricks on build & safety from Toyota, I would definitely buy a new one.

Heck, the Ertiga would have been ideal for our needs if only it scored better on the NCAP.
In fact, given how poorly most Hyundai / Kias have performed in crash tests I would be equally apprehensive about buying one of them, Honda is mum about their safety and equally lax in their attitude towards the Indian car scene, Toyota is busy selling rebadged Marutis, Renault / Nissan have iffy service centers whereas Tata / Mahindra have quality niggles making it not very feasible as a beater / chauffeur use.

But as a daily driver which would be self driven majorly, I may use more heart and less head to try and squeeze in something more fun like the Rapid.

Last edited by lamborghini : 24th October 2021 at 23:21.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 00:26   #32
BHPian

Yes I will, or perhaps yes I did again last month and an XL6. Upgraded from an Alto that I used for 15 years. Drove a pre owned 94 make 800 before that for 9 years.
Personal opinion about NCAP ratings, might work in a lab. On the open roads, I'd prefer driving a car with good dynamics than 5 stars alone.
jalex77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 00:42   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

No absolutely not. My dad has a baleno, old time maruti fan, but have told him to never take it to highway. I just don't have any confidence in the build. It's a decent car to drive in city, but makes me extremely uncomfortable out on highway with that thin sheet of metal.

I will only buy safe cars going forward and the reason we only take the Vento on highway, mileage is no more a top priority for me and going forward for my dad also.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 01:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

Except for Brezza which scored a 4* and more importantly had a stable bodyshell can’t trust any other Maruti. And maybe the S-cross but then only if I am looking for manual transmission which is impossible for my use cases in 2021. So eventually I won’t be buying a Maruti.

Having said that I hold same thought about Hyundai/Kia as well. Won’t touch their cars either until at least 1 gets a stable bodyshell rating.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 01:42   #35
BHPian

Good poll, probably a wakeup call for Maruti.

My vote is yes. We are living in a period, where GM and Ford have left, Honda is struggling for relevance, Toyota is making loss, VAG group has poor lineup. So if it not for the ambitious Tata and M&M, Maruti still would be a good bet.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 01:54   #36
BHPian

Voted No - because of primarily the safety ratings and the perceived safety of their cars. Few years ago would have probably opted for 1 of their cars as the 2nd car for city run-abouts but even for that now you have better and safer options from other manufacturers in almost all of the price range that Maruti operates in. Infact when we were in the situation back in 2016 to get the 2nd car to supplement the Safari Storme, we opted for the TAT Tiago because the top model was available at approx 5.5 Lacs (Petrol) and at that time the only other car which we could compare it to was Hyundai i10 Grand but then again Tiago was bit cheaper if I remember correctly and as modern and livable in terms of the gadgetry, so went with that. No other Maruti came into consideration as well at that time.
zadoom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 05:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

My last Maruti was the Gypsy King in 1997. Have had the 800, 1000, Omni (low and high roof). Moved to Hyundai Santro. Picked up the Indica V2 in 2002 and haven't looked back to Maruti for VFM. Had the Ikon and the Qualis too.

I still retain the 800 (30 years) as a sentiment. The body is far better than the Swifts and Balenos of today.

That apart, the market leader has been the least involved in R&D. They are like the Government Babus, laid back and practically don't care because their cars sell. I would rather put my money on Tata or Mahindra who have shown their capabilities and the willingness to go the distance.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 06:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't voted and may not vote. For me, answer is both No and Yes.

No - There is no viable replacement for my highway cruiser Brezza. If and when I have to upgrade, I don't have any options in Maruti's stable. They should bring the international Vitara without compromising on safety.

Yes - As a replacement for my nearing 10 year old Wagon R, I may prefer an S-Presso or an Ignis depending on the cost factor involved. Out of these 2, my choice would be Ignis. One of the reasons is simple city car but occasionally taken on highway. But the most important factor is service center. My city has pathetic service centers of Tata and Hyundai. There is nothing in that segment from Honda or KIA and Ford has shut shop.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 07:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but only as a cheap "fill it, shut it, forget it" city roundabout.

Guess that means models like the S-Presso, Alto, WagonR etc which are below the Ignis/Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
So, to drive in city, you still need to own & drive 'safe' cars for your own safety & family's safety.
You are right, but most accidents I've seen in city limits are minor fender-benders where a 4/5* car may not make a difference. For example: The Etios was 4* rated, but the overall build was 'tinny.'

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th October 2021 at 07:48.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 08:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Although I didn't want to replace my fathers 16 year old Swift with another Maruti product, I had no choice since I had to look at practicality at his age and there was no other car like the WagonR at that price segment. The car is not going to see a highway either.

I would have loved to replace it with a Figo petrol, but with Ford shutting down and requirement of an automatic, I booked a WagonR AGS which has a waiting period of 30-45 days.

Last edited by tharian : 25th October 2021 at 08:10.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:06   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes.

1. Eeco- If I have a small business, and have to buy a new micro van, this is the only choice. Please don't mention the contraptions sold by Tata and Mahindra.
2. S-presso- As the spiritual successor of our F10d WagonR, especially for our usage. But never as the sole car in the household.
3. Ignis- Dangerously close to being bought, just a push needed for dad to buy the Ignis. Though it would seem stupid to exchange an Etios D for an Ignis in this age of high fuel prices. Don't mind it being the sole car in the household for the time being, and when the time comes to buy a bigger car the Ignis would fit perfectly as the local runabout.

Ertiga and S-cross would have been top choices if they had a diesel option. The Ertiga is incredibly VFM, while the Scross is a no brainer choice.

Last edited by DicKy : 25th October 2021 at 09:11.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:09   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

May be, just may be. S-Cross. Under specific circumstances, the Gypsy, may be the Jimny if it ever comes.

I have heard about the comfort of the Ciaz.

Then again, coming from a Safari Storme - Maruti definitely doesnt have much in their range to enthuse me. For that matter, very few vehicles out there that can satisfy a Storme owner.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:10   #43
BHPian

Definitely YES

We have mainly been a Maruti products family , having used everything from the 800 to the Kizashi .

The Ciaz ticks all the boxes for a fuss free daily driver with oodles of space.

The XL6 has all the functionality of the Innova for a fraction of the price. Yes the Innova is better at every aspect but at a price. If you have the money you can never go wrong with the Innova but for everything else the XL6 is the product to go to.

The Wagon R is the perfect MOM car with space and package optimised to the core while the Ignis is the yuppie WagonR with sacrifices on the space front.

If you want a cheaper Ciaz look no further than the Dezire which gives amazing fuel effeciency , space and driveability.

Eventually if you have a bigger budget then you can shop away from Maruti but nobody comes close to the reliability and peace of mind of Maruti at the price point that they offer.
abhijit 2284 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:15   #44
BHPian

Voted "No". I have a swift and I do like the engine, however there are so many things going against Maruti (based on the experience with this model)

1. Maruti service is not economical. It is rather expensive as compared to Tata

2. Safety is just not there. Swift is not a cheap car to buy, and for that price, it is expected to have good safety ratings

3. Suspension is tuned for smooth roads, which we don't have in Bangalore

4. And above all, there are multiple options available now from competitors, including good engines (if not best engines)
TSEA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:17   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Voted for yes, would definitely buy a Maruti if it suited my requirements & budget. I like cars like the WagonR (for practicality), S-Presso (cheap city runner), XL6 & Ertiga (2nd-gen is very good), S-Cross (miss the 1.6L diesel though), Ignis & Baleno.

Would never hesitate to buy an Eeco for my business as it offers some real estate for the money, and can handle abuse.

On the other hand, I don't like the Vitara Brezza at all or even the Ciaz which was nice when introduced, but is quite old & boring now.

Sucks that Maruti has a limited range of crossovers / SUVs, no real premium cars for 20-lakhs and no diesel. A weak product portfolio which will hurt them in the longer run. The new Celerio is coming up, but does it excite anyone? Will be the same formula of cheap + light + NA petrol etc.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2021 at 09:19.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks