Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still buy a Maruti today?
Yes 346 35.41%
No 631 64.59%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 15:32   #1
BHPian

Would you still buy a Maruti today?

Based on the recent thread by GTO on Maruti and also the poll on what cars BHPians own where Maruti tops the list, I thought it would be nice to know, how many of us would still buy a Maruti today? If yes, what model would you buy from their current line up and why?

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2021 at 08:19. Reason: Adding link to my thread :)
chethan.ram is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:45   #2
BHPian

re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

Let me start. I am 38 years old with wife and 2 kids. My wife needs a car to take kids to school and bring back. So total run per day will be 6-8 Kms total. Off chance I may need to take car to office. We are looking for our first car and since we are not much knowledgeable, so we are only preferring Maruti or Hyundai.
My wife wants something with high seating so she can see bonnet. We actually have to go to motor training.

After much deliberation and checks, we have drilled down to (for now) S-Presso as is ticks most boxes. It will be a city only car and we almost will never take outside the city. I am very well aware about the 0 star.

On team bhp too, I have observed that people who are buying 2nd or 3rd car, they don't mind alto or Spresso or something that is less rated as their primary car is some better vehicle.

So if someone here says they are considering alto as it for "city run about", we too have same use case just that it happens to be only car for us.

Hence, for now, we are mostly getting Spresso but still waiting to check new Celerio and will decide after its launch.

Last edited by raksrules : 24th October 2021 at 15:48.
raksrules is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 16:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally will not, but the only reason for the same is that as a car buyer, my preferences and expectations have evolved over a period of time. My first 3 cars were Maruti's and now I have reached a point where there is no Maruti car that meets my needs and expectations. The point of GTO's thread on the topic was also similar-Maruti is not doing much to evolve their products to a point where they can still attract buyers who have moved up the chain with respect to budget, features, safety etc..

Having said that, numbers do not lie. Maruti still has ~40% market share- way ahead of everyone else. Yes, the Hyundai's and Tata's have been slowly chipping away. Even considering that, for the foreseeable future a majority of people will still buy a Maruti.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th October 2021 at 16:02.
Rajeevraj is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 16:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

No.

Simply because they do not have a single product that appeals to me. I’ve often toyed with the idea of getting a WagonR for purely nostalgic reasons, but the current car just doesn’t have the magic of the original one with the F10D. And I can’t make any usage case for it. If they offered the top end with a CVT transmission, I just might have gone for it. Would have been a fine remembrance of my childhood and teens.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 16:09   #5
BHPian

I wouldn't. Maruti has no presence in 12+ lakh region where many people are currently looking to upgrade, and even more people will shop in those segments 4-5 years down the line. I can't think of any Maruti cars outshining it's competitors except the Alto, maybe the WagonR and the Ertiga/XL6 (which have practically no competitor). Urban buyers looking to buy a safe car with a good feature list often don't even shortlist Maruti.
Still they will continue to have a strong foothold in rural areas as well as the older population due to their unmatchable presence in lower segments and perceived lower maintenance costs.
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 16:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

It depends on which segment & price range.
Maruti has some very competent products in the below 10lakhs range.

They are tincans alright.
However, the engines on duty are super smooth, highly reliable workhorses.

I replaced the old i10 that my father was using in city, with an Ignis.
It ticked all the boxes for him:
- Easy ingress & egress
- Slightly higher seat position & good allround visibility
- Peppy & efficient engine
- Absolute reliability & fuss-free after sales
- Affordable price (vfm factor)
abhishek46 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 17:22   #7
BHPian

Re: Would you still buy a Maruti today?

I voted Yes. I'd definitely consider the WagonR or SCross any day. I'm sure anytime I set out to buy a car, Maruti will figure prominently.

Maruti has mastered the art of affordability, reliability and fuss-free-ownership. Add to that their pervasive presence.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 17:36   #8
BHPian

Yes.
Pros: Reliability, Running Cost Affordability, Mileage, Interior Space.
Cons: Mainly crash results.

We may ignore, beat it, damn it. But it will omni present, ever present.
navrddy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 17:48   #9
BHPian

Not anymore. Would buy the ones that have better safety ratings - Breeza, Ertiga. Not the WagonR, Swifts and the Dzires, because we already have them.
Ananthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 17:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Only if they launch the Jimny!!!!
Nothing else from their stable will ever work for me.
akshay4587 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 17:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

- S-Cross : Looking at it as a big hatch with good GC and road manners. Also one of the good petrol NA around.
Most importantly its our Transformer

- Ignis : Of late this car has grown on me as a good city car with the K12B.

Quite evident is that both of them are quite understated and don't rake in the usual MSIL numbers nor are they much of a talking point outside TBHP
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:08   #12
BHPian

I would buy a Maruti today. But just a few models.

Firstly, the Brezza. It is safe and has a decent set of features. I'm used to Maruti's interior quality and even though it could be better, it is not a downer for me. Even if the Nexon and Sonet are better packages as a whole, but I won't mind having that 1.5L N.A crossover in my garage.

Then comes the S - Cross. The S Cross is an anomaly as it is an actually well built Maruti. I feel it is slightly overpriced but in the end, you get a safe choice for a crossover, a Maruti that has that required premium touch too.

Lastly, it is the Ignis. The Wagon R is a good car, but for a slight bit more, the Ignis makes more sense than the Wagon R. I actually like the styling of the Ignis and coupled with 1.2 petrol, it makes sense to get one for a slightly higher premium over the Wagon R. The Wagon R is a good car, but once again, a bit too common and has the personality of a bottle of water, when compared to the unique looking Ignis.

All these cars which I mention are Maruti's that I am willing to consider buying, but they are not top contenders, and that has Maruti to blame. The lack of bringing well-built products, and not bringing their international portfolio (Where is the Jimny and the Vitara Maruti?) makes Maruti not a top contender for me, as I prefer better engines and tech over reliability and service networks. But these are a few cars I will put into consideration
TorqueMonster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:11   #13
BHPian

Voted No.

Firstly I have outgrown Maruti Suzuki's utility. It has absolutely nothing to offer me.

Secondly it is a dodgy company with a questionable outlook towards safety, as far as I am concerned.

Thirdly I do not see any sort of engineering advancements inspite of being a market leader.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 24th October 2021 at 18:13.
arunramaswamy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes!

I appreciate Maruti even more after being familiar with ownership of Maruti equivalent from other brands (Lower segments).

Alto, Espresso, WagonR, Swift , Ertiga .

These vehicles do not have a suitable alternative worth giving up on a Maruti for.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 18:22   #15
BHPian

Voted No.

Safety with a minimum of 6 airbags is a requirement which I am not ready to compromise on. Maruti is yet to launch a car with 6 airbags.
Simhi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks