Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2021, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Concerned about driving a car registered in my wife's name

Greeting BHPians,

My car was bought in name of my wife as the car company had significant corporate discounts for select companies and my wife is an employee with one of them. However, I drive the car all the time.

I am not very comfortable with this arrangement. There is possibility of car getting involved in some unfortunate accidents or traffic/legal issues and usually car owner will be have to available in such matters. This will be unnecessary inconvenience and hassle to my wife.

I have been thinking of transferring the ownership to me. The only drawback is that RC will show up me as the second owner of the car and future resale value will be impacted. However, I am not much concerned about this as I am going to keep the car for long time (7-8 years +).

Am I being paranoid here? If I am the owner (and I am the the driver anyway), my wife could be fully out of the matter.

I am very much inclined to change the ownership but would like to hear your experiences and view on this matter. Thank you !
sushantk is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Concerned about driving a car registered in my wife's name

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantk View Post
I have been thinking of transferring the ownership to me. The only drawback is that RC will show up me as the second owner of the car and future resale value will be impacted. However, I am not much concerned about this as I am going to keep the car for long time (7-8 years +).
I did this and kept the car a long time, so that the cost difference of first vs second owner sale wasn't much. Go ahead. List the sale price as one rupee or something and transfer that money to her account.
hserus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Am I being paranoid here? If I am the owner (and I am the the driver anyway), my wife could be fully out of the matter.
Yes you are. If this is how most thought then cars would be bought in chauffeur names
Sahil is offline   (155) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:58   #4
BHPian

I don't see an issue with this arrangement. We owned 2 cars until a few weeks back - i10 registered in my name and Creta - registered in my wife's name. The i10 was predominantly driven by her, while I always drove the Creta. You will not have any issues in case of an unforseen incident also since our law makers allow the women folk to be represented by the men of the house - her father, brother, husband etc.
Do not devalue your car by transferring it in your namẹ
normaltusker is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 16:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

To an extent, yes. My car is on my wife's name. My previous car (on my name) was used by my better half for several years (while I was overseas). No issues faced ever till date - even when we had to get insurance claims and other matters.

It's hardly a big deal given how the current industry around automobiles work. Insurance claims and the affairs are usually okay between family members - I have had (and have the knowledge of similar cases in my network) the experiences of accident(s) within the family where the owner wasn't the driver and post-accident processes went just fine.

Insurance renewals, service maintenance and all vehicle related aspects get handled completely fine if you are able to provide the necessary documentation and some close relationship with the owner if asked.

My suggestion - just continue with the current setup.
ninjatalli is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 16:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think this is unnecessary paranoia. If the car would in in someone else's name, that would be ok to consider transfer of ownership. But changing it from your wife's name fearing just in case something happens by your hands is unnecessary drama. Legally too, you are in the clear for driving wife's car.

For minor matters, car owner need not be present. Only driving license of the driver is sufficient. Only for severe insurance claims, the owner may come into picture.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 16:56   #7
BHPian

I have the car in my Wife's name or should i say it is her car and i am just the driver. We have had it for the last 10 years now and for our next car this would be the same arrangement. This should not be a problem unless you attempt to do a "footpath drive". Then there is always a challenge. But for minor incidents, the driver is liable for penalty while the owner is liable for insurance. I don't think you need to be bothered too much about it as it is all within the family unless of course the family gets disbanded
Pardon my cheekiness, but today has been one of those weird Mondays
subraiyr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 17:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I being paranoid here? If I am the owner (and I am the the driver anyway), my wife could be fully out of the matter
Cool boss!! all evidences are captured right at the scene of incident; so whoever is driving the car at the scene of any mishap is responsible for it. Yes the owner might be called to verify if the car was driven with their consent or not, nothing more than that.

Let me give you another scenario for sleepless night

Car stolen at midnight, gets involved in fatal human injury & burglar escapes, you've to run between post & pillar to prove that the car was stolen just because the FIR wasn't filed stating the car was stolen.

PS - Somehow I'm reminded of this scene from Shawshank Redemption
Concerned about driving a car registered in my wife's name-p1.jpg
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

You are a little too worried about it. You don't have to be worried about any legal issues. There wouldn't be any in case of an accident. The car should have insurance, that will take care of most of the issues. The driver of the car is held accountable for any untoward incidents. You can keep the car on her name, nothing that is a cause of worry.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 18:29   #10
BHPian

In my case, my car is registered in my wife name and she does not have LMV license. I was able to claim insurance 4 time with my DL,RC and insurance so far and no issue so far.
She had to only put signature and share valid ID proof.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 20:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Can't you just designate yourself as a legal driver of the car with the insurance policy itself? I am sure that would allow yourself to tackle whatever legal issues you foresee.
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Can't you just designate yourself as a legal driver of the car with the insurance policy itself?
I am not aware if any such thing exists. I will do some research and check with insurer too.
Old 26th October 2021, 08:08   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Concerned about driving a car registered in my wife's name

You are definitely overthinking it. All of us have driven cars registered in our immediate family member's names, whether its parents, spouse or sibling. As long as it's a family member, don't sweat over it. However, it would definitely be concerning if the car was registered in the name of a cousin, friend or previous owner (very common in the used car world).

P.S. If anything, it is your wife who should be concerned, not you . Very noble of you.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 08:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been thinking of transferring the ownership to me. The only drawback is...
Am I being paranoid here?
I am very much inclined to change the ownership but would like to hear your experiences and view on this matter. Thank you !
Potential separation / divorce may be a good reason to transfer the ownership to yourself - what if your wife walks out on you WITH the car, and you being left car-less, cannot chase after her to placate her and convince her to return?

Do you have matrimonial discords very often? Does your wife hate your guts? Do you love your car more than you love your wife? Are you planning to keep the car for a longer term than you plan to remain married? If you've answered 'yes' to a majority of these questions, go ahead and transfer the car to your name.

SS-Traveller is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 10:23   #15
FHW
BHPian

IMO it is not an issue if the car you drive is registered in the name of family.

However if,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If you've answered 'yes' to a majority of these questions, go ahead and transfer the car to your name.

then definitely you shouldn't transfer it. The car will keep you both together.
FHW is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks