Team-BHP - BMW to set up plant in India.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   BMW to set up plant in India. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2436-bmw-set-up-plant-india.html)

Kerala hopeful of getting BMW plant *
Monday, 05 April , 2004, 17:05

Kochi:GERMAN automajor BMW is considering Kochi for setting up its first plant in the country. A team from the company has conducted a site inspection and held discussions with the State Government recently.
The State Government has offered a 25-acre land at Kalamassery near here for the plant.

"May be in the next two months or so, they will get back to us," said Mr John Mathai, Principal Secretary, Industries Department. BMW is looking for level land near the city, Mr Mathai told Business Line.

In the first phase, BMW is planning to set up an assembling unit in India. Subsequently, it plans to undertake full-fledged manufacturing. A test track facility is also envisaged.

BMW officials met the Chief Minister, Mr A.K. Antony, the Opposition leader, Mr V.S. Achutanandan, the Industries Minister, Mr P.K. Kunhalikutty, and top government officials to discuss the proposal.

Along with Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka are also vying for the BMW plant.

Kerala, desperately seeking investments, is hopeful that the advantage of Kochi port, and absence of other automobile manufacturers in the State would give it an edge over other States.

Source : Sify

Gr8 news pal. Its good BMW has taken this route. This way they can keep the prices of their cars to a competitive level. The tussle b/w BMW and DC is India is about to begin. And i am rubbing my hands in glee:laugh:

Revv

A little too late...but good they are here nevertheless

GTO

I doubt Kerala, they strike or have a bandh every other day and the locals will not even touch a broom. Just a PR statement, they said that about VW also

Yes in Kerala it is difficult to set up a Manufacturing Plant. That is why all these no one opted for Kerala !!!

Its great to hear BMW are finally setting shop in India. I guess they should start with the 318i and maximise its localisation. It'll be interesting to see the 2 big Germans fight it out on desi soil. Merc has already a strong base here BMW will def take some time but they too have presence out here as well.

Cheers

This wud be one Indian company which I wud like to see selling old models What say, guys??

the germans are taking over the world. Blitzkreig!!!! i couldn't be happier for any other manufacturer setting up shop in india. a little late, but as long as they are here whose complaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]This wud be one Indian company which I wud like to see selling old models What say, guys??

God bless, V12. Thats exactly what I was thinking about. What I wouldnt do for an E39 5 series, priced identically with the Mercedes E Class!

Butttttttttttttt knowing the image that Mercedes has built up with bring out the latest models and constant engine upgrades, I doubt BMW will bring in anything other than the latest model series

GTO

You said it V12 anything for those old classy BMWs but as GTO said we wont see those out here . What we will get is the new Bangled BMWs

Cheers

what do u think guys, is it gonna be a tie-up?? or BMW comin on its own like Skoda

I think they'll get someone to assemble the cars - either HM, Skoda or even Fiat (plenty of spare capacity in Rajgaon)

Ya I feel they might tie up with a local plant for assembly but you never know BMW they might come on their own as well

Cheers

Well BMW has been touting to set-up a plant with Hero or take some spare capacity at other plants. Honestly, BMW should go for its own plant, assemble and manufacture cars here and use its extra capacity to export. That way they'll be selling a lot of cars made at a lower cost due to Indian manufacturing rates and sell it abroad.. atleast other Asian countries.

revv

BMW to begin production in India early next year

NEW DELHI: German luxury car maker BMW on Wednesday said it would begin production of cars in India early next year and expected sell about around 1,000 units in the first year of operation where it would produce '3' and '5' series models.

"The first car will be delivered to our dealers by February- March next year and we hope to have 8-9 dealerships across major metropolitans by 2009," BMW India President Peter Kronschnable said at Gurgaon, where the company will be having the headquarter of its India subsidiary.

Mr Kronschnable said the company is investing 20 million Euros (approx Rs 110 crore) for setting up its plant at Chennai, which would have an initial production capacity of 1,700 units per annum on a one-shift basis.

He said while deliveries of the 3 series cars would start by February-March, the locally produced 5 series models would be available by May-June. - PTI

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...s/02301804.htm