Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: If in the market for a hatch, would you buy the Palio Stile 1.1?
Yes 12 23.53%
No 39 76.47%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 15:09   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
A quick look into it.
WHY BUY?
1. Space (Better/equal options exist)
Well, it is certainly more than Alto, Wagon, Estillo, 800, Matiz, Santro, Swift etc

Quote:
WHY BUY?
2. Build quality (I don't want to comment on that! Do you mean heaviness?)
Compare any Maruthi car that has done 1,00,000 Km with a Palio which has covered equal or more distance. You'll come to know.

Being appropriately heavy really helps. Take a Palio on gravel and then find out.

Quote:
WHY BUY?
3. new design and looks (Agree, but it doesn't appeal to many and what about the interior design??)
It certainly looks better than Alto, Wagon, 800, Matiz, Santro, Estillo, Indica, etc.

Quote:
WHY BUY?
4. Better fuel economy (You need to read the first post of this thread repeatedly!)
Nothing can beat a 650kg Jap Toy here

Quote:
Should not buy because of:
1. Performance
2. Poor resale (shall we say worst?)
4. Poor A.S.S.
8. Poor history
I agree with you...

Quote:
Should not buy because of:
3. Unsafe (Brakes, one of the worst in the whole industry)
Utter crap/nonsense. The 1.2, 1.6 and Adventure have v good breaks enough to stop them @ 150kmph+ easily. So I am not sure why the 1.1's breaks aren't good. Maybe the Fiat you drove had poor breaks.

Quote:
5. Expensive to maintain when compared to competition
6. Unpredictable (Or should it be unreliable?)
7. Long in the tooth (Applies to many cars in competition too)
It is certainly not more expensive to maintain than an Indica!
Unpredictable: The vehicle actually is very predictable on road!!!
Long in the tooth: Who can beat 800, alto, M Van, Wagon R, Esteem, Zypsy, Versa, even new Estillo (or old Wagon XX) in this regard?
Old 24th May 2007, 15:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

It is really unfortunate that because of the biased attitude of some Senior BHPians and some 'Dist' BHPians too, this forum which was supposed to be Forum for all Indian Car lovers is slowly becoming a Forum for Maruti lovers and Fiat haters!

I never tried to be biased towards Fiat though I own a Palio, infact I have cursed Fiat India for the mess they've created in the past.
But even if they seems to be doing things right now, we bad mouth them as ever, and I find it difficult to digest.
Why the heck are we singling out Palio and Fiat everytime when there are so many other flop cars in the market?

If this trend continues, I will be forced to log-off from this forum for good, though it will not make any difference to anyone here.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2007, 15:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
It sounded more of an insult actually. But no issues.
Apologies... It was not my intention.

Quote:
You seemed to have missed my point where I did say with the 1.3MJD engine the palio will indeed sell really well. Which you somehow seemed to have missed out on. Read my very next paragraph.
I whole heartedly agree that the engine isn't as good, my point here is thats not the reason to rubbish anything and everything about the car and the company. Why can't we appreciate the other things and criticize what needs to be?

Quote:
Its the way you look at it. I see nothing wrong with the thread. And no I haven't gotten into this FIAT/Anti FIAT fight ever. I hope you are aware of that. Yes, I agree with you. No one is rubbishing a company here. All I want to know is the reason why you would choose a Stile 1.1.
I have already given my answer in my first post itself. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/447128-post71.html

Quote:
Not how santro's, wagonr's, getz's, swift's or their deficiencies you guys seemed to be digging at. This thread should have been curtailed to answer this question only, not go OT talking about other manufacturers and the 1.6 or the 1.2L.
I never digged at any manufacturer, what I am aganist is double standards. What with the following comments:
Its a third world car
Worst brakes in the industry.
Fiat should discontinue Palio.... and the likes which are coming from people who dont own a FIAT still!

Quote:
However, I do realize that a few of us here are taking these con's reported here as an insult to self and posting in a very unsocial manner. Atleast 10 posts were deleted from this thread yesterday. And I am sure finney agrees with me that it could have been dealt in a better way. That is all we are asking. Stick to topic, or come up with the right answers. No one hates FIAT, infact we bangy boys LOVE harrie's GTX and are hardpressing jay to buy it. If nothing else, its just the attitude of those few FIAT and Honda owners thats a little hard to digest.
Agree with you here.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:23   #109
Senior - BHPian

Wots the use of all that space, when the car almost never reaches 100, yes right it does but in 20secs even a Pulsar 200 will be faster then that anyday.

Secondly and most importantly if space is the only criteria for buying a car i would rather get myself a Versa, which has far better a engine, more space and excellent A.S.S to back it up, enough said.

Quote:
It is really unfortunate that because of the biased attitude of some Senior BHPians and some 'Dist' BHPians too, this forum which was supposed to be Forum for all Indian Car lovers is slowly becoming a Forum for Maruti lovers and Fiat haters!
What are you trying to imply man? Maruti lovers or Fiat haters, i won a Palio 1.6 GTX myself, its a good car when i bought it in 2001, now its way to outdated, i love my Palio, its powerful, handles and rides well and the build quality is awesome too, no rattles but common its 6 years old and you cant sell us the same stuff, heck even the Santro has changed several number of times. Why dont we get the latest interiors instead of these MKI interiors?

Quote:
But even if they seems to be doing things right now, we bad mouth them as ever, and I find it difficult to digest.
What are they doing, changing headlights, taillights, colouring inteiors half beige, reducing the bore and stroke and downsizing engine, making a underpowered car more underpowered and then sayin all New Stile, who are you fooling Fiat, we Indians are not fools anymore, there is no reason to buy a Stile over the previos NV!! They deserve all the bad mouthing, if they really cared about the customers like MUL they would have launched the 1.3MJD instead of blaming our fuel quality.

Quote:
Why the heck are we singling out Palio and Fiat everytime when there are so many other flop cars in the market?
Logoff & Rhino have been bad mouthed equally for being what they are so no one is singling any car out.

Quote:
If this trend continues, I will be forced to log-off from this forum for good, though it will not make any difference to anyone here
It will affect Fiat-India, as you seem to be their representative

Quote:
That has to be BWCOTY
Whats that?

Last edited by BUSA : 24th May 2007 at 15:35.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:26   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This has irked me... Can you substantiate your claim? If this isnt shamless criticism, I would like to know what is.
E_T, buddy I think he is referring to the ACI article which was the starting point for this thread. AFAIK there they even provided the braking distances for all the cars in the comparo. Stile-1.1 had the largest stopping distance for the test speed amongst all the cars. I do not think that should irk you.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:28   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Finney as much I hate to say it, I guess you ought to get a life and stop portraying your unconditional love for Fiat on every thread. And we are no Maruti lovers (infact hate maruti for not supplying the swift engine sold abroad or providing VVT on the SX4) , or honda lovers (for we are critisizing them for taking indian for a ride), or fiat haters (for fiat owners like harrie and khaadu know how much we love their car). Infact, I have been insisting khaadu to keep his car and mod it than sell it. If that tells you something. Like I said we dont hate any manufactures but its the attitude of a few owners that irks these unnecessary comments. And the inability to accept facts.

No one said stop selling the palio completely but whats with selling the 1.1L stile when you know all you are going to achieve is a handful of numbers.

Quote:
If this trend continues, I will be forced to log-off from this forum for good, though it will not make any difference to anyone here.
No, what you need to do is relax a bit. And if you leave tbhp will no longer be this interesting.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th May 2007 at 15:30.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:28   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, have a look around, all the "real" hatches weigh within 50 kgs of each other.. Swift and Getz included.
Dude, You got me there. I was not comparing anything. I was just repeating what my good Fiat friends keep harping or rather excuses for low FE. What about other points ?
Old 24th May 2007, 15:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Wots the use of all that space, when the car almost never reaches 100, yes right it does but in 20secs even a Pulsar 200 will be faster then that anyday.

Secondly and most importantly if space is the only criteria for buying a car i would rather get myself a Versa, which has far better a engine, more space and excellent A.S.S to back it up, enough said.
A pulsar 200 would be faster than a Santro and a wagon R in that case... so we should dump them too. You care about 0-100 kph time, a lot of people dont, so you ridicule their rationale and reasoning for buying a particular car?
Space is not the only criteria and i hope you realize this.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:29   #114
BANNED

Quote:
This has irked me... Can you substantiate your claim? If this isnt shamless criticism, I would like to know what is.

Have you owned a Palio. Go and check the spare part prices now, regular consumables are almost the same price as a santro or a wagon-r and in some cases cheaper! Take for example the tail lights, the ORVM's.
Huh.... Can you again substantiate you claim "unpredictable"?
1. Brakes.
Stile 1.1 has one of the worst brakes. Many will agree here. Go out and drive one yourself and then comment. Why should 1.2 and 1.6 come into this thread repeatedly? Please read the title again.

2. I haven't owned a Palio. But fortunately I am from those lucky lot of people who get to keep others' cars for some long periods. Yes, I did have a Palio experience in 2002 when I was staying in a remote village in TN. I had to drive all the way to Bangalore many a times to get some parts and some times had to wait for weeks before a small thing come down from I dunno where! And all these for some huge bills nobody could justify.
I also happened to use a Petra some months ago and really regretted it later. That story is quiet famous here. And now the car has been put again in the garaqe because the starter konked off.
Out of all the cars we have in our family, it is always the Fiat cars which tops the visits to the garage and the number of problems closely followed by Tatas. Why is it so?
The newer ones are cheaper? I dunno if you're speaking of the last 2 months.

Last edited by speedzak : 24th May 2007 at 15:32.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:30   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
E_T, buddy I think he is referring to the ACI article which was the starting point for this thread. AFAIK there they even provided the braking distances for all the cars in the comparo. Stile-1.1 had the largest stopping distance for the test speed amongst all the cars. I do not think that should irk you.
Agreed it had the largest stopping distance... what irked me is the comment "Worst brakes in the industry".
Now if tomorrow overdrive comes up with their stopping distances and palio happnes to have the shortest, would you say "The best brakes in the industry".
Old 24th May 2007, 15:35   #116
BHPian

[quote=BUSA;447287]Wots the use of all that space, when the car almost never reaches 100, yes right it does but in 20secs even a Pulsar 200 will be faster then that anyday./quote]
I think for an average person, the so called sluggishness of Palio 1.1 is bearable.It looks much much better than wagon R,estilo etc (of course if these are to be compared with at all)
Old 24th May 2007, 15:35   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Dude, You got me there. I was not comparing anything. I was just repeating what my good Fiat friends keep harping or rather excuses for low FE. What about other points ?
The FE is not low, 12 KMPL with AC in city for 1.2 Litre 1025 Kg car isnt bad by any standards. Palio does a lot better than Getz here, but I(we) dont ridicule Getz.
By the way that is not an "excuse", its the reason for comparitively low FE, you can't bend the laws of physics.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:37   #118
Senior - BHPian

For god's sake, Fiat's own target is to sell some 5000 (or is it 3000?) Palio's this year .. Out of which probably a fraction of it will be the 1.1 .

We are making a mountain out of mole hill here. I dont think even Fiat will be unduly worried and bite their nails off if the 1.1 Stile doesnt sell that well.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:38   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Nobody hates Fiat. People do not recommend Ambassador, right, does that make them Ambassador haters. I don't see any Gypsy recommendations also, does that make them Gypsy haters.
People state facts
1. In 2007 a hatchback is launched which runs on Petrol and does 0-100 in 20 seconds
2. It gives same, if not less FE than the cars with similar pricing and segment
3. The Predecessor to this car gave same FE and had more power
So why would you praise it. Tell me something if Maruti swift discontinued the JTD diesel model in 2008 and introduced a 60BHP Non Turbo non crdi engine, will people be be called Maruti haters for critisizing?
when a market progresses so do cars.
Newer model of any car is supposed to be better than the predecessor.
Look at Tata
1. Carb Indica petrol/Mechanical FP diesel indica
2. MPFI indica petrol/Electronic FP diesel indica
3. Turbo diesel
4. Xeta with 1.2 engine(detuned but not much, but price reduction great), and a 1.4 engine also available.

Now look at the stile. 1.2 Liter engine to 1.1 liter engine with 57 horsepower!!?
Whats the point.
You are the owner of a Palio 1.2. Tell me does the Palio 1.1 offer anything more than your 1.2 offered.
It gives the same FE and makes less power and interiors are same.

Solid feel, tank like build? Well Palio 1.2 also has that. Are you ready to admit that the Palio 1.1 is a better car than the 1.2 you bought?

Quote:
I never tried to be biased towards Fiat though I own a Palio, infact I have cursed Fiat India for the mess they've created in the past.
You are never biased towards a Palio. All we need to do is go to search option. Give your username, and click on "Find all posts by finneyp". I did that and it proved that you are not biased towards fiat. Its really unfortunate that anybody called you biased.

Quote:
Thats your option. If you cannot digest a digressing opinion, you are most welcome. Its a public forum, and it is possible that the majority may disagree with you. I am a member of many forums where 90% of people disagree with me. I neither log off, nor I try to convert. My opinions are my own. They will change when I see the light, nobody else is going to do this for you.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:39   #120
Senior - BHPian

Well the feature that I missed out in Stile is: "Engine immobilizer". Anti theft system..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed