Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If in the market for a hatch, would you buy the Palio Stile 1.1?
Yes 12 23.53%
No 39 76.47%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 17:43   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
From the FAQ section of the old FIAT website at the launch of the Palio diesel:
Thanks for the information.

But the keyword is in bold. They have a new website which doesn't say such crap and they have made an official announcement about the upcoming MJD. So lets bury this point and move on.
Old 24th May 2007, 17:45   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Also, the value of the ICE will not drop as rapidly as the value of the Palio. This is our collective assurance. So when you need to sell, you'll atleast get money for the system, if not for the car.
. This is one for the collectors, gentlemen.

@hrag.
that is one hell of a find
Old 24th May 2007, 17:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Maybe this might help:
1. Hyundai Santro - 1086 cc , 63bhp and 9.8kgm.
2. Chevy Spark - 1000cc , 63bhp and 9kgm.
3. Zen Estilo - 1061cc , 64bhp and 8.4kgm.
4. Tata Indica - 1193 cc , 63.5bhp and 10.2kgm.
5. WagonR - 1061cc , 64 bhp and 8.4kgm.

I do hope you can see the similarities and hence the comparison?

While you are at it do check the figures for:
1. Chevy Uva - 1.2L, 76bhp and 11 kgm.
2. Suzuki swift - 1298cc , 87bhp and 11.3kgm.
Which are slightly ahead in terms of power, pricing? and I am told belong to the next sect of B segment cars.

Like I said before be factual.
spot on.

So basically, we are completely eliminating size of the car as a factor. And the comfort / legroom / stability / ride quality etc which as far as I know are areas where the Stile would definitely score over a Spark or a Santro or a Wagon R or the such.

Are you actually saying that the Stile has absolutely nothing to offer thats better than a Spark or a Santro or a WagonR ??? Because if you are, then I think this thread is pointless.

Why is it being overlooked that the 1.6 is still very much available and that the 1.1 is primarily to avail of the excise cuts ??? The detuned 1.2 was a compromise and so is the 1.1, but these are for customers who specifically want :
the fiat badge, love the rest of the car but want more mileage as scorching performance is not their priority ??

So the Stile 1.1 passes on the benefits of this excise cut onto such customers. Pray tell me, whats wrong with that ?

Fact of the matter is that it is the 1.6 which always was the real Palio.
Again, someone please tell me, why is it "Stile" 1.6 Sport being overlooked ????

p.s.
mclaren,I know you are not a FIAT hater and am not debating with you under that assumption. just wanted to let you know.
Old 24th May 2007, 17:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are contradicting yourself here.
I meant to say I dont buy a car not only by the way how it performs but how it is to maintain.

Quote:
Nothing of that sort mentioned on their website
It was there before, when they had the diesel cars in the offereing. In the FAQ section something like Why doesnot Fiat India Offer CRDI technology for its cars in India and the answer goes like Fiat has pionered the diesel technology and infact was the first to make CRDi engines, however since CRDI engines run at more then 1600 bar pressure the poor fuel quality can damage the fuel pump and is a major expense, hence Fiat has not got CRDi technology in India.

Quote:
General public gives a hoot to performance, all they are concerned about is FE and reasonable performance.
Would you call 0 - 100 in 20secs as reasonable.

Quote:
Frankly I am not amused. Own one and you will come to know of the other virtues, its easy forming opinions sitting on your favourite arm chair.
For your kind info i own a Palio 1.6 GTX and the performance is mind blowing, the torque is awesome, the ride is good, handling is good, built quality is awesome, but interiors are a bit drab, A.S.S poor, FE is lets not get there and sourcing parts are a problem sometime. I love my Palio and would not trade it for any car for similar prices for performances but i would definately not rate the 1.1Stile to have braking, handling, performance even near to the 1.6.

Quote:
I don't recollect Fiat making a statement blaming our fuel quality for not launching the MJD. I believe it was Honda that made this ridiculous statement.
If Honda doesnot give Diesels it compensates by giving us good FE giving cars atleast, look at the NHC, dare anyone say New Honda City IDSi 1.5 Why?

Wow Hrag where did you get that from.

@ Sam & Hydra that was awesome

And yeah amit - We can bury it and Fiat made plans of getting the MJD not cause they want to but they are forced to and have no option, its do or die time for them, so if they use such statements about fuel quality then the remaining Fiat fans will stop being a fan of their company.

Last edited by BUSA : 24th May 2007 at 17:54.
Old 24th May 2007, 18:12   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Why is it being overlooked that the 1.6 is still very much available and that the 1.1 is primarily to avail of the excise cuts ??? .
Yepp.. I do hope the haf-assed pple at ACI atleast have enough sense not to compare the 1.6 Stile with the Estilo and Spark !!

PS: On the bright side, what this thread has done is relieve the Honda NHC lovers from the SX4 gurrilla assault .. They really needed a break!
Old 24th May 2007, 18:21   #156
Team-BHP Support

It must also be one of those rare threads which has seen so much activity in a single day
Old 24th May 2007, 18:22   #157
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
So basically, we are completely eliminating size of the car as a factor. And the comfort / legroom / stability / ride quality etc
By that logic should we compare the 1.1 to the SRV too? Which is almost twice the price slightly lengthier, wider and shorter than the swift and the palio? You get better comfort, legroom, stability, ride quality the works. When you compare a set of cars basic comparison is with Engine Capacity or Power, type of fuel injected, what class it belongs to? Entry level B or B+ or price. Not just by size alone. Due to which all the cars that I have mentioned fall into one category. And I request you to look at the prices of all these above mentioned cars. And put up the differences here.

Quote:
Why is it being overlooked that the 1.6 is still very much available and that the 1.1 is primarily to avail of the excise cuts ??? The detuned 1.2 was a compromise and so is the 1.1, but these are for customers who specifically want :
the fiat badge, love the rest of the car but want more mileage as scorching performance is not their priority ??
Boss, if its not going to move or give phenominal FE I dont see a reason why anyone would want it. Except those who have never owned a car before or are madly obsessed with FIAT badging. We aren't talking about the 1.6L here because I know a lot of the peformance enthu's will buy it. Thats not the topic at discussion here.

Quote:
mclaren,I know you are not a FIAT hater
Thanks for realizing this. Now if I only wish finneyp and others would realize that v1p3r and myself love Fiat's just as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
But the keyword is in bold. They have a new website which doesn't say such crap and they have made an official announcement about the upcoming MJD. So lets bury this point and move on.
Amit, i beg to differ on this. You cannot rave and rave about your NA engine being better than the CRdi and how mercs have failures and hence the reason not to get the engine in India. Wonder why they are planning to do so now? Things haven't changed much. Fuel is still adulterated. And I dont see how a manufacture's claim can change so much to say "old fiat FAQ" etc. And what they seemed to have put as FAQ aren't crap. Its what they believed in at that moment and within a short period of time it all seems to have changed.
Old 24th May 2007, 18:26   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, what a thread 157 posts in a single day, this thread should be labelled the "most viewed or most replied or most something".

Discussions were taking lots of bell curves, from downs to ups to mids to lows, maza agaya
Old 24th May 2007, 18:33   #159
Team-BHP Support

Hai naa mast?! And two people to thank for this... C3PO and Finneyp... their post got this thread rolling big time! And in the process managed to dig out tonnes of forgotten details.
Old 24th May 2007, 18:36   #160
Team-BHP Support

These many posts for a thread in just a single day !!
Interesting points there, and a big thank you to Sam and Hydra for the light situations in between the war.
Old 24th May 2007, 18:45   #161
BHPian

Well, atleast one guy has bought this car, and seems to be enjoying it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...km-review.html

So let's not spoil his party shall we?
Time to close this thread I think...
Old 24th May 2007, 18:53   #162
BHPian

1.6: Little rocket! For boys who like to drive insanely fast.
1.2: Slow and Steady wins the race! For family men who care about mileage.
1.1: City car: For your girl friend if you don't want her to drive fast. She'll scream out loud saying "Why should boys have all the fun"!!! (borrowed from some ad)
Old 24th May 2007, 18:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
So basically, we are completely eliminating size of the car as a factor. And the comfort / legroom / stability / ride quality etc which as far as I know are areas where the Stile would definitely score over a Spark or a Santro or a Wagon R or the such.

Are you actually saying that the Stile has absolutely nothing to offer thats better than a Spark or a Santro or a WagonR ??? Because if you are, then I think this thread is pointless.

So the Stile 1.1 passes on the benefits of this excise cut onto such customers. Pray tell me, whats wrong with that ?
Hell_rider,
You got it absolutely right pal!
Hope now it clarifies - WHY THE HECK PALIO STILE 1.1?

Lets now move to: SX4 vs NHC thread!
Old 24th May 2007, 18:56   #164
Senior - BHPian

Palio Stile 1.1 - Why?
  • Space of B+ (Swift / Getz ) cars at price of B segment car (may be Indica)
  • Best looking car for given price.
  • Better ride than almost all other cars in its segment (may be Indica).
  • Better refinement.
  • Better FE than B+ segment cars. I don't accept FE crap dished out by magazines. As per them, my Petra should give no better than 9.1 kmpl in city. In reality, it never drops below 11 and many times, exceeds 12.
Having said that, if it is NOT FE as it is claimed to be, then it loses big time and question remains "WHY?"
Old 24th May 2007, 18:58   #165
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Would you call 0 - 100 in 20secs as reasonable.
That is Maruti 800 and Alto territory. I think the Getz Prime 1.1 should do better than that with a 67 BHP engine (the Xing's engine tweaked for more power). Still the logic behind these cars seems inexplicable at first sight. But I think there is a logic.

The point is that neither the Palio (1.2, 1.6) nor the Getz 1.3 in their various avatars were successful models; these cars had a few loyal supporters and enthusiasts swearing by them, but by and large they succumbed to the competition. So when this excise duty reduction business came along, Fiat and Hyundai would have had nothing to lose if they could come up with a 1.1 lit version of these cars, with very little additional design/development costs and take advantage of the duty reduction to offer more economical variants of these cars to the Indian buyer.

Think about it, folks; Fiat and Hyundai had everything to gain and nothing to lose by coming up with models. And the average Indian buyer is not concerned too much about performance. The point is that one must compare the FE/cost of the Palio 1.1 with the FE/cost of the Palio 1.2 and 1.6 models, not with those of other cars; to the extent that the diehard Fiat loyalist plus FE/cost-conscious buyer would go for the 1.1 (ignoring its performance) in preference to the 1.2 or the 1.6, the car is worthwhile. Similarly wth the Getz 1.1 as compared to the 1.3.

I would agree that the Palio Stile 1.1 and the Getz Prime 1.1 would not have been worthwhile if they had been designed and engineered from scratch at a considerable additional cost to Fiat/Hyundai. I am willing to bet that this is not the case.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks