Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 18:05   #31
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Hyundai Tucson spotted at a dealership, this time in white colour.
Source : MotorBeam
Ahh MotorBeam and their love for spreading fake news! As per RushLane, this car was spotted in Nepal. As already said by someone else.... that green registration thing is a dead giveaway of this being from Nepal.
theAutomaniac is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 20:29   #32
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Mate this looks too similar to the Hector's facial silhouette!
Screenshot from a co-incidental stack of thread thumbnails on tbhp!
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot_20211229202824.jpg

Last edited by manson : 25th March 2022 at 09:39.
Old 29th December 2021, 21:41   #33
BHPian

How come Nepal gets Toyota’s global models (Raise, Corolla Cross, RAV4) and all we get is a joke called Urban Cruiser? What am I missing? Would love to know the economics behind this.
throttlehead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 22:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
How come Nepal gets Toyota’s global models (Raise, Corolla Cross, RAV4) and all we get is a joke called Urban Cruiser? What am I missing? Would love to know the economics behind this.
The economics here is India has a 100% tax on CBU imports. So when these cars land here, they will be priced ludicrously high. Whereas, in Nepal, the taxes are not insane on CBU's and hence they can bring almost all their international models as completely built units without much local manufacturing investments. Simple.
drpudhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 02:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
The economics here is India has a 100% tax on CBU imports. So when these cars land here, they will be priced ludicrously high. Whereas, in Nepal, the taxes are not insane on CBU's and hence they can bring almost all their international models as completely built units without much local manufacturing investments. Simple.
Care to mention the source of your utter misinformation? Nepal has following list of taxes on private vehicles :

80% Customs tariff
15% VAT
1.5% Local Development tax
250% Excise duty
additionally levied on the gross value, which includes the invoice price, customs tariff, VAT, local development tax, and special tax.

In total the tax on all private vehicles imported to Nepal amounts to be around 288% approximately as of now. Also there is neither a vehicle manufacturing nor an assembly plant for any kind vehicle in that country whatsoever. 100% of their vehicles are ‘CBU’.

Kindly check the validity of your statements before posting.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 30th December 2021 at 02:22.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 11:44   #36
BHPian

Is there an expected timeline around the launch of the new version in India? Some of the portals are mentioning the date as H2 ‘22. I am kind of waiting for this one but if the launch date is that late, it might warrant a change of plans. Any verified update is welcome. Thanks!
Old 30th December 2021, 13:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
The economics here is India has a 100% tax on CBU imports.
Hi I understand the pain when we pay our hard earned money as road tax and pray that we wont' break our car by driving into a pot hole. But there are many countries which are much more expensive to own car, when compared to ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
In total the tax on all private vehicles imported to Nepal amounts to be around 288%
Nepal discourages car ownership as the Kathmandu valley has hardly any space to expand in general or to lay more roads. Fuel is slightly cheaper there. Owning a car is very difficult as parking space is almost non existent and inter city roads are narrow. But as tax structure is same for all imported cars, and there is hardly any manufacturing , the customers have more choice of cars available from all over the world. I have travelled in KIA vehicles and high end Toyota MUVs in late 2010s.

This is the price list of Tucson in Laxmi Hyundai, Nepal. The basic model costs almost 95 Lakhs NRS, equal to approximately 60Lakhs INR.

Tucson GL 2WD MT 1999cc Petrol 94,96,000
GLS 2WD AT 1999cc Petrol 1,07,96,000
GLX 2WD AT 1999cc Petrol 1,25,96,000
GLX 4WD AT 1999cc Diesel 1,39,96,000
GLX 4WD AT TURBO 1999cc Petrol 1,42,96,000
aadya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 17:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post
Few days back in-fact he was quoting Q3 timelines for the launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghShu View Post
Some of the portals are mentioning the date as H2 ‘22.
I’ve heard something similar from a Hyundai dealer.

In the beginning of November, when discussing with the sales executive about the Tucson, I kept insisting that the current model will be discontinued very soon (only for more discounts ). But he was adamant that the current model will continue to be sold for a while. At one point he said that they have production for it till June/July of 2022. Of course I took this with a pinch of salt as he was just doing his job of trying to sell what’s on sale now.

Last edited by lordrayden : 30th December 2021 at 17:14.
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 19:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai makes handsome looking cars. But, why aren’t they really focusing on implementing stronger build materials in the process? It shouldn’t be difficult for this global giant with almost all possible resources they must’ve at their disposal. If they do up their game on safety front, I’m sure they’ll be at par with Germans
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 20:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
80% Customs tariff
15% VAT
1.5% Local Development tax
250% Excise duty
additionally levied on the gross value, which includes the invoice price, customs tariff, VAT, local development tax, and special tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Hi I understand the pain when we pay our hard earned money as road tax and pray that we wont' break our car by driving into a pot hole. But there are many countries which are much more expensive to own car, when compared to ours.
Thanks for the info

I've always thought the reason for us not getting the international models like Nepal are the less tax there. But one way it also seems to be mainly due to taxes overall. Since Nepal taxes everyone high, atleast there is a level playing field and hence most manufacturers bring all their models.

But in India, the same have to compete with the less taxed locally manufactured models which is not possible as no one might pay twice the money of India manufactured Tucson for an imported Rav4.

Last edited by manson : 25th March 2022 at 09:40.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 20:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
Nepal seem to have open market and they don't impose heavy duties on imported cars. Must be a simillar situation even in Pakistan as you see wide range of global models there. In India, it makes sense only if they manufacture or assemble cars. India wants to discourage imports and encourage local industry which is not the case with Nepal.

Last edited by Guna : 30th December 2021 at 20:49.
Old 30th December 2021, 22:24   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghShu View Post
Is there an expected timeline around the launch of the new version in India? Some of the portals are mentioning the date as H2 ‘22. I am kind of waiting for this one but if the launch date is that late, it might warrant a change of plans. Any verified update is welcome. Thanks!
Apparently the current focus is the face-lift Venue and Tucson will launch after that as per my SA, so the update you got is in line and what I heard is that it might launch only by mid year aligning with H2' 2022.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st December 2021 at 08:20. Reason: Capitalization
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 15:59   #43
R_R
BHPian

Wow, the Tucson matches the Toyota RAV-4 in predicted reliability and owner satisfaction, according to the US-based Consumer Reports, considered the bible for unbiased reliability studies on consumer goods in the US. Considering that the RAV-4 has been ruling the roost in its segment in the US, especially in reliability, this is very good news for the Tucson. CR also ranked the Tucson slightly higher than the RAV-4, based on their road test. I don't have the actual Consumer Reports study (it is paywalled) but the link to the report of the study is below:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consume...ta-rav4-prime/
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:16   #44
BHPian

There's a brochure of the new Tucson on the Nepal Hyundai distributor's website. Might be the one incoming to India? Link
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:20   #45
BHPian

Seeing these new Tucson, I some how feel the old and out going one looks more classier and timeless. While, looks are purely subjective, if we can get good deal on the outgoing model, it may be a wiser option. I am sure the new ones will be INR 35 L upwards on road. I hope the new one gets the same engine and 8S auto box. That combination is really good
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed