Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2022, 08:25   #451

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Here are my few cents on this new Tucson.

1. The exterior looks are pathetic (IMO). Doesn't give a striking/premium feel. The last generation was looking way better.
2. No SUV look either. This more looks like an elongated Creta.
3. Beige interiors on an AWD SUV? Seriously? At least there should be an option to choose the interior color to black/brown.
4. The dash doesn't look premium at all. In fact, the driver MID looks aftermarket. And this is one big spoiler.
5. Alcazar's same 2 litre NA petrol in this flagship offering from Hyundai? No fun. No excitement. Diesel sounds more exciting.
6. Looks like Tucson is going to compete with Harrier/XUV700 rather than Compass, C5 Aircross, and Tiguan. This Tucson is nowhere as well built, premium, and fun to drive as these 3 mentioned here.
7. There is nothing special about this Tuscon. Of course, reliability and ASS network/experience are the areas where Tucson is miles ahead compared to others.

All in all, not an exciting car in any sense. In fact, it's actually a disappointment from Hyundai. Personally, I would choose an XUV700/Scorpio n in the cheaper side and Compass/Tiguan on the other side.

Seriously!!!!!
Tucson Diesel is one of the underrated cars of India. I've driven it for 1.25 lac kms and I swear by it. They only manufacturing issue it had the auto driver seats malfunctioned and was replaced in warranty. I still have it in Beige and it feels roomier and soothing to eyes. Had this new gen Tucson not launched, I am good to drive it til 2 lacs km.

And speaking about Jeep Compass, its giving horrible time to two of my friends. They are convinced they will upgrade to new Tucson.

You know, torque, pull, awd and off roading sound really exciting when you are about to buy a car. But when 90 percent of driving is on city roads and used on daily basis for office, family and short trips purpose, the things required is comfort, reliability, spaciouness, better ASS and Tucson leads in every aspect.
Pankajm is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 08:43   #452
R_R
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

I am curious: if Nepal's Hyundai Tucson are assembled by Hyundai India and exported to Nepal, how come they offer the 1.6 Turbo petrol with AWD in Nepal, but that variant is not offered by Hyundai India in India? In Nepal too, the 1.6T was not originally offered. It appears to be a recent addition to the variant lineup. So, can we hope that Hyundai might offer that 1.6T/AWD petrol in India too in the coming months?
Old 15th July 2022, 08:57   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I am curious: if Nepal's Hyundai Tucson are assembled by Hyundai India and exported to Nepal, how come they offer the 1.6 Turbo petrol with AWD in Nepal, but that variant is not offered by Hyundai India in India? In Nepal too, the 1.6T was not originally offered. It appears to be a recent addition to the variant lineup. So, can we hope that Hyundai might offer that 1.6T/AWD petrol in India too in the coming months?
The main reason could be the hilly terrain of Nepal which might have made Hyundai to offer AWD in both diesel and petrol avatars. As it is, the cost of vehicles in Nepal is a lot when compared to India due to taxation. The Toyota Hilux has been on sale in Nepal since a long time, maybe over 10 years (the earlier model) so Hyundai offering better products is not a surprise. Ford was manufacturing Ecosport with 2L engine with AWD/4WD at Chennai but it was never sold in India. Even Jimny is made in India by Maruti but we haven't seen it being sold here as yet.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 15th July 2022 at 08:58.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 09:02   #454
BHPian

I am actually shocked by the comparison of Compass and Tucson. The Tucson is a much better engineered product than a Jeep and is not comparable. Yes, there would be missed here and there but the current gen Compass is too long in the tooth to be comparable.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 09:39   #455
BHPian

Is there a reason, most if not all reviewers are mentioning C5 Aircross as one of competitors but not Tiguan? Is it mainly because of petrol power train only on Tiguan and you would need to compare with Diesel powertrain on Tucson? Cost wise, C5(Shine variant) is more expensive than Tiguan.

Now coming to Diesel, the DEF tank for AdBlue would be India specific right? So even if its CKD, they would have had to made some modifications ? Due to this, we have been loosing option to have full size spare alloy included on Diesel .

On different note, the panoramic sunroof in Tucson stops halfway unlike Creta. I'm not sure reason for the same. Maybe to discourage children to stand on seat popping their heads out?

Start at 7 mins on below video and I see same on few other launch videos

Last edited by neel911 : 15th July 2022 at 09:44.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 09:53   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Here are my few cents on this new Tucson.

1. The exterior looks are pathetic (IMO). Doesn't give a striking/premium feel. The last generation was looking way better.
2. No SUV look either. This more looks like an elongated Creta.
3. Beige interiors on an AWD SUV? Seriously? At least there should be an option to choose the interior color to black/brown.
4. The dash doesn't look premium at all. In fact, the driver MID looks aftermarket. And this is one big spoiler.
5. Alcazar's same 2 litre NA petrol in this flagship offering from Hyundai? No fun. No excitement. Diesel sounds more exciting.
6. Looks like Tucson is going to compete with Harrier/XUV700 rather than Compass, C5 Aircross, and Tiguan. This Tucson is nowhere as well built, premium, and fun to drive as these 3 mentioned here.
7. There is nothing special about this Tuscon. Of course, reliability and ASS network/experience are the areas where Tucson is miles ahead compared to others.

All in all, not an exciting car in any sense. In fact, it's actually a disappointment from Hyundai. Personally, I would choose an XUV700/Scorpio n in the cheaper side and Compass/Tiguan on the other side.
You seem to be really offended with Tucson.
Although Jeep Compass has a certain appeal, it’s Diesel engine and gearbox refinement is not even close to previous gen Tucson CRDi and the new engine would be much better if not the same.

Looking at your rants, I’m sure this statement will offend you even more as previous gen Tucson was a comparable car to BMW X1 Diesel. They shared same wheelbase and 225 section rubbers.
Tucson CRDi - 182hp / 400Nm with torque converter
X1 - 188hp / 400Nm with ZF8

I’m sure you haven’t driven one, based on my experiences, there’s almost no engine sound while idling, the immediate torque and the gearbox never struggled to switch to the right gear, making Tucson an exciting car to drive cross country. 4th gen has all the latest safety equipment on offer making it an overall a better car on offer, considering our road conditions and wider reach of Hyundai across the country.

I know, the German cars have exceptional engineering and robust build quality but speaking of reliability quotient, expensive spare parts, overall ownership cost and scarce network makes Tucson a better value on offer. Of course, nothing can steal the appeal of the big 3 German brands.

International car magazines and reviews scream praises about it’s build quality and reliability.
992TurboS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:08   #457
BHPian

Being a Fiat fanboy(proud Punto evo owner) , I absolutely love the Jeep Compass . But that said Jeep has made the compass absolutely pricey for what it offers . The Tucson on the other hand is roomier , modern , has more features and at par off-road capabilities. I am personally going to wait to TD the Tucson and am pretty excited about it.
Also sharing a YouTube video comparing the above cars in Australia in an off road setting . The Jeep Compass trail hawk shockingly failed in the test . The compass even failed the chassis rigidity test . The Tucson performed better than Jeep in all cases .

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 15th July 2022 at 10:09.
ChetanM6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:14   #458
BHPian

Tucson in Grey/Black looks stunning ! Also attaching brown/Grey interiors pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-foznueawuaahp4o.jpeg  

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-foznueax0aiyp2u.jpeg  

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-foznuekxoacapki.jpeg  

Attached Images

Mathan1130 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:14   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankajm View Post
Seriously!!!!!
Tucson Diesel is one of the underrated cars of India.
And speaking about Jeep Compass, its giving horrible time to two of my friends. They are convinced they will upgrade to new Tucson.

You know, torque, pull, awd and off roading sound really exciting when you are about to buy a car. But when 90 percent of driving is on city roads and used on daily basis for office, family and short trips purpose, the things required is comfort, reliability, spaciouness, better ASS and Tucson leads in every aspect.
I am sure Tucson diesel is an under-rated car (the last generation). However, my disappointment/mediocre feelings is for the newly launched one. I was expecting more, that kind of makes it worthy for the premium money I paying over a Creta/XUV700/Harrier, etc.

700/Harrier is equally spacious and comfortable. In terms of reliability and ASS 700 is not far lagging behind Tucson. Yes, Harrier's reliability and ASS are definitely deal breakers. For all your requirements mentioned, 700/Harrier will be my pick over Tucson and save at least 5-6 lakhs.

And please note that the target market for Compass/C5 Aircross/Tiguan are different from what you've mentioned.

Now, let us wait for Tucson's price reveal to take a final call.
Old 15th July 2022, 10:20   #460
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
A full size spare will NOT fit in this shallower space. The outgoing Gen3 Tucson was also exactly like this, the petrol has a full size spare while the diesel has a space-saver.

Nope. If you do that the boot floor cover will not close at all. At least this is how its in the Gen3 Tucson and it should be the same with the new one as well.
Additional question: Doesn't the new Tucson have adjustable trunk/boot floor? I remember reading/seeing that in one of the international reviews. If so, I wonder if a full-sized spare will fit if the adjustable trunk floor is placed at the highest level, even if it sacrifices a bit of total trunk/boot volume.
Old 15th July 2022, 10:22   #461
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Tucson media drive reviews drops on July 18.

Quote:
Media is experiencing its Level 2 ADAS functionality, in a controlled environment of course.
Name:  SmartSelect_20220715102719_Twitter.gif
Views: 317
Size:  5.68 MB

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220715_102205.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220715_102304.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220715_102307.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220715_102309.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220715_102311.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220715_102319.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th July 2022 at 10:28.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:29   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 992TurboS View Post
You seem to be really offended with Tucson.
I am not offended by anything. I am disappointed. Probably I had high expectation.

Quote:
Tucson CRDi - 182hp / 400Nm with torque converter
X1 - 188hp / 400Nm with ZF8
XUV700 - 183 bhp / 450 Nm with TC (20-25L cheaper than X1)
X3 - 188 bhp / 400 Nm with ZF8 (Almost costs 30L more than the X1 and 3 times expensive than 700).
What is your point here?

Quote:
I’m sure you haven’t driven one, based on my experiences, there’s almost no engine sound while idling, the immediate torque and the gearbox never struggled to switch to the right gear, making Tucson an exciting car to drive cross country. 4th gen has all the latest safety equipment on offer making it an overall a better car on offer, considering our road conditions and wider reach of Hyundai across the country.

International car magazines and reviews scream praises about it’s build quality and reliability.
You are praising about the same points, that I've already mentioned in my previous comments. I never mentioned the new Tucson as a bad car. It is definitely a good car. But "Not an exciting car" for an enthusiast like me.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 15th July 2022 at 10:32.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 11:41   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Additional question: Doesn't the new Tucson have adjustable trunk/boot floor? I remember reading/seeing that in one of the international reviews. If so, I wonder if a full-sized spare will fit if the adjustable trunk floor is placed at the highest level, even if it sacrifices a bit of total trunk/boot volume.
Yes, the old Gen3 DOES have an adjustable boot floor. But even with the boot floor at the default highest position, only the space-saver will fit. Check this photo of the boot of my Gen3 Tucson Diesel, with the boot floor at the highest position you can see about 45 mm of space left. The space-saver is a 135 section tyre while the full size tyre is 225 section. So that means I am short of 45 mm of space in my old Tucson to be able to fit a full size space.

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-gen3_tucson_boot_floor.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Now coming to Diesel, the DEF tank for AdBlue would be India specific right? So even if its CKD, they would have had to made some modifications ? Due to this, we have been loosing option to have full size spare alloy included on Diesel .
Actually DEF/AdBlue is used in the Tucson Diesel in other countries like the UK as well, its not India specific. This review of the Tucson from the UK mentions:
"All diesel Hyundai Tucsons use AdBlue to help reduce emissions, and there's a 14-litre AdBlue tank that will need topping up on occasion as and when the Tucson's trip computer lets you know it needs doing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
On different note, the panoramic sunroof in Tucson stops halfway unlike Creta. I'm not sure reason for the same. Maybe to discourage children to stand on seat popping their heads out?
I too feel it might be because of that. I personally don't like it when kids stand like that in a moving car. But not sure if you have kids, they will find a way to stick their heads out even if the space is smaller than their head .
lordrayden is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 11:43   #464
BHPian

I have a 2015 BMW 320d with about 60,000 kms on the ODO. Want to replace this with new vehicle. Should I book the Tuscon disesel now or wait for the new X1 coming up next year. Budget is not an issue.
The only reason to keep the old 320d is that it still has physical rotatry knobs for climate and volume etc., which neither the new Tuscon has and nor the upcoming X1.
It will be mainly self drive with occasional chauffer usage.
I also have a 2019 X5 and 2020 Toyota camry hybrid in my garage.
Any thoughts.
Old 15th July 2022, 11:44   #465
BHPian

My two cents on the launch-
Background and disclosures - I have been a Hyundai customer for good few years now (17). Currently have the following - santro, Verna 1.6 petrol and a Creta petrol top end from their offerings. I also have been a VW owner for a good few years - 1.2 GT TSI. Also hold a booking for the Tiguan 2.0 (no delivery ETA in sight)

I was looking forward to the launch to see what they have to offer in this segment which has been pretty much untouched by Hyundai in the past few years.
1. This will sell well. Prices of cars have shot up in the past few years and so has consumer spending for vehicles. What you get for what you pay has significantly changed post COVID. 20 lakhs is the new 10 lakhs, 30 is the new 20 and so on. Hyundai will find a sweet spot for the pricing where it will tempt buyers looking at other brands.
2. Having had a long relation with my dealer and owner, he did confirm to me that it will not be a CKD and will be made in India (doesn’t mean he can’t be wrong, so far he has been right being the largest hyundai dealer in india).
He expects pricing for the top end diesel to be between 36-38lakhs OTR BLR. AWD will be offered only on the diesel. They have gathered good amount of interest and pre bookings for it already. Booking amounts are 25k to 50k based on prior history with the dealer.
3. I am not someone who is fussy about feel good features such as ambient lights, wireless CarPlay etc. I like a strong safe car which is appealing to drive and brings a smile on my face when I drive it. If my dealer is correct in saying it won’t be a CKD, then I would have some reservations with this. We have seen significant departure in quality standards for the same vehicle intended for export, made for the country and CKD/CBU units across manufacturers not just Hyundai.
4. The petrol engine will not be adequate for this car to qualify as fun to drive. The diesel may be a different story.
5. Looks are purely subjective so I don’t have anything to share here.

I was looking at this to see if I need to jump ship since there is no ETA on my Tiguan. When the Tiguan was launched it felt totally out priced. Post the Kodiaq price hikes and meridian engine options and price bracket the Tiguan doesn’t seem so badly priced although still overpriced for what it offers strictly feature wise.
But post some discussions and based on initial impressions, I think I will continue to hold my Tiguan booking.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks