Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 13:34   #601

Default re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
We all need to reset our expectations . We are not even talking about entry level luxury segment. When I checked the X1 which is about 55L OTR Bangalore, I was shocked at the number of features omitted from variant launched in India.

When Tiguan was launched at about 40L OTR Bangalore, most were shocked but then when Kodiaq L&K was launched at about 48L OTR, suddenly for someone who was just looking at 5 seater, Tiguan seemed VFM.
Absolutely!!
First and foremost this segment has a very few options, the Tucson is comparatively well equipped even as compared to the kodiaq (thatís how I convinced myself, as kodiaq doesnít seem to be available to buy in the near future). Though I agree that Projector headlight setup, 3 zone climate control and the most basic of all - rear sun blinds are a silly miss.

For me, upgrading from a 2019 City IVTEC ZX is a segment leap as well as a huge leap in terms of convenience and features. So after watching US and other market reviews of the Tucson, I did expect some features to be omitted in India. I still want the Kodiaq ( for the 2.0L engine) but canít handle uncertainty with regards to availability and delivery timeline.

Letís see how how it is placed in terms of pricing. Have pre booked the Phantom Black - AWD D2.0L

P:S - this is my first post on Team-bhp.
clifford is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:13   #602
R_R
BHPian

Default re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Ok, sure, I am clutching at straws now, but what is the likelihood that Hyundai may give India the petrol 1.6T/AWD after a few months, as they appear to have done in Nepal? I am actually quite mystified as to why they went with the 2.0 petrol without AWD to begin with, but may be that's their calculation about the Indian car market.

A bit of a problem when you are a car enthusiast TeamBHPian and your choices are limited because the automobile hoi polloi determine the shape of the market !!
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 15:06   #603
BHPian

Team,
Not sure if I saw a point of view on this so far in this thread; I Currently own a 2016 March Ford Endeavor 3.2 4x4. An amazing vehicle and awesome experience with it so far, I am concerned about Ford pull out and the possibility of service degrade over time. There is no good option below 50L as a replacement in the market, hence I am following Tucson launch keenly. Not sure if this would feel like a step down or the new tech and nimbleness would compensate? Any comparison in term of ride quality?
Any thoughts on this or comments?
btw. Keen on AWD (though not too much off road driving anticipated).
Thanks.

Last edited by sknair : 20th July 2022 at 15:07.
sknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 00:00   #604
BHPian

Sharing a nice review from Australia until the official review arrives.

Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 11:01   #605
BHPian

In Hyundai India website they have wrongly mentioned as "Drum" brake setup for rear wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot-20220721-10.56.44-am.png  

Old 21st July 2022, 11:54   #606
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Tucson features detailed in new videos, still using the LHD model for presentation.

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 12:59   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Ok, sure, I am clutching at straws now, but what is the likelihood that Hyundai may give India the petrol 1.6T/AWD after a few months, as they appear to have done in Nepal?

A bit of a problem when you are a car enthusiast TeamBHPian and your choices are limited because the automobile hoi polloi determine the shape of the market !!
I am hoping that launch of Innova Hycross may force Hyundai to even consider 1.6T/AWD/Hybrid option in India.

Choices are even more limited for people in NCR given the 10-year rule for diesel vehicles.
Old 21st July 2022, 13:49   #608
pms
BHPian

Does it make sense to go for petrol Tucson Platinum over the Alcazar as the latter provides similar power train and arguably more features. Only thing missing would be CKD (better built), interior fit/finish and slightly more space. Though it will boil down to Tucson prices and one's budget, was just wondering whether lower models of Tucson Petrol can attract Alcazar buyers?
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 14:03   #609
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Does it make sense to go for petrol Tucson Platinum over the Alcazar as the latter provides similar power train and arguably more features.
Even am in the same dilemma. I drive less than 700 kms a month and a petrol would make more sense. Today my SA says the petrol top end would be 35 lakhs and that's about 10 lakhs OTR more than Alcazar top end !
Old 21st July 2022, 15:08   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor18 View Post
I am hoping that launch of Innova Hycross may force Hyundai to even consider 1.6T/AWD/Hybrid option in India.

Choices are even more limited for people in NCR given the 10-year rule for diesel vehicles.
Apart from Innova Hycross (not sure if AWD will be offered),

For AWD (in gasoline) and Hybrid launches from Hyundai and other OEMs, lets hope the current launches from Toyota/Suzuki (Hybrid+AllGrip) and Honda (Hybrid) to taste some success.
Old 21st July 2022, 15:22   #611
Senior - BHPian

A night-drive video of the Tucson, headlights are average at best…

CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 19:39   #612
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Test drove the old generation GLS AWD diesel AT. I test drove it for a good 30- 45 mins across broken patches ( easy to find in east Bangalore ) and the car had good suspension.
Some observations .
1. Car did have lag until 1700 rpm but after that it just shoots like a bullet (was surprised the first time) !! The SA mentioned this lag until 1700 is far better than Compass/ XUV . I drove both the XUV 700 petrol and diesel and there was no lag. May be a problem with demo car?
2. Build quality was awesome. Now excited to see the 4th gen in person. Everywhere its soft touch. It felt very European ( in a good way)
3. Steering is just wonderful . I am a little bit old school and hence loved the heavy and connected steering compared to XUV 700. XUV 700 is easy to drive in cities because of some wizardry that makes the steering super light at city speed.
4. Lots of space in the rear seat and I can already see my daughter sleeping comfortably on the backseat during typical Saturday traffic jams in Bangalore.

I am not sure why this product was never a huge hit. I will rate its ride quality better than a Compass. Also in one of the evo india's video they mentioned that the ride quality is better than the Tiguan and that's a huge thing.

Now need to decide petrol vs diesel ! Heart says diesel but mind says petrol.
Another crazy update- Going to TD the Skoda Superb as well tomorrow.

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 21st July 2022 at 19:42.
ChetanM6 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 19:56   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Test drove the old generation GLS AWD diesel AT. I test drove it for a good 30- 45 mins across broken patches ( easy to find in east Bangalore ) and the car had good suspension.
Some observations .
1. Car did have lag until 1700 rpm but after that it just shoots like a bullet (was surprised the first time) !! The SA mentioned this lag until 1700 is far better than Compass/ XUV . I drove both the XUV 700 petrol and diesel and there was no lag. May be a problem with demo car?
This is surprising and something I did not notice when I test drove the AWD variant. I found pickup much more smooth without lag over recently launched Tiguan, something I test drove back to back.

Quote:
4. Lots of space in the rear seat and I can already see my daughter sleeping comfortably on the backseat during typical Saturday traffic jams in Bangalore.
Imagine the space on the new one which is LWB version

Quote:
I am not sure why this product was never a huge hit. I will rate its ride quality better than a Compass. Also in one of the evo india's video they mentioned that the ride quality is better than the Tiguan and that's a huge thing.
Hyundai is to be blamed for that. If you talk to the SA (dedicated for premium segment), they will say same. I'm just not sure why Hyundai took back seat for Tucson. Maybe with all discounts, there was minimal difference between Top end Tucson and entry level german luxury and customers could not connect with ~35L OTR Hyundai back then. With ranges suddenly changing, Tucson has a sweet spot with limited competition.

Quote:
Do test drive Petrol and you will see big difference and if budget permits, go for Diesel
neel911 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 00:04   #614
BHPian

Quote:
The SA mentioned this lag until 1700 is far better than Compass/ XUV . I drove both the XUV 700 petrol and diesel and there was no lag. May be a problem with demo car?

Yeah, must be a problem with the demo car. I have test driven the old model Tucson diesel as well and there was so little lag and engine noise that I actually asked the SA if he brought the petrol car by mistake !

The Skoda superb is a brilliant car. It feels almost like a luxury car and has surprisingly good ground clearance as well. I was tempted to go for it but passed as it cannot seat 5 people comfortably. (probably no sedan can?)
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 09:01   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
I agree that 40 lakhs feels too much for a Hyundai ... and 30 lakhs feels too much for a Mahindra and 60 lakhs for a Fortuner
This is just tooo good . Don't think there's a better or more impactful way to articulate this point.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
Yeah, must be a problem with the demo car. I have test driven the old model Tucson diesel as well and there was so little lag and engine noise that I actually asked the SA if he brought the petrol car by mistake !
Yes, could be a problem with the demo car. I've had the Gen3 Tucson for almost 10 months now and "lag" is not a word I would associate with this car. Even off-boost, it has enough pull for sedate/mild overtakes.

Quote:
I am not sure why this product was never a huge hit.
Yes, just on its merits it should have been a huge hit. Its one of the most underrated cars sold in India.

Quote:
I will rate its ride quality better than a Compass. Also in one of the evo india's video they mentioned that the ride quality is better than the Tiguan and that's a huge thing.
Agreed, and so do a majority of people who have ACTUALLY driven BOTH cars.

Quote:
If someone has even one enthusiast bone in their body, they need to go for the diesel . Trust me, a few highway trips and you'll forget the extra you paid for the diesel.

I was actually in a similar dilemma when buying my Tucson. I had already stretched my budget from top-end Seltos/Kushaq. So I could either get the Petrol top-end GLS or get the Diesel starting-range GL(O). My usage too is very less and doesn't justify a diesel. It was a choice between some fancy features and a rocket of an engine and I choose the latter and have absolutely no regrets. It brings a smile to my face everytime I take this on a highway or empty road. Something a powered tailgate or electronic parking brake could never do .
lordrayden is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed