Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 15:13   #676
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Any idea when this car can be available to see in person at showrooms? Shouldn't the car be already available with dealers since the launch is less than a week from today.
Old 29th July 2022, 15:58   #677
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Any idea when this car can be available to see in person at showrooms? Shouldn't the car be already available with dealers since the launch is less than a week from today.
My dealer says on 4th August. Not all showrooms are going to get display/TD vehicles.
Old 29th July 2022, 16:15   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Ideally, cars should be arriving in dealer yards in the next couple of days.

My SA, however, is still clueless and insisting launch date is August 14th in Kerala.

Last edited by manumike : 29th July 2022 at 16:27.
Old 29th July 2022, 16:17   #679
VRJ
BHPian

A friend of mine booked the new Tucson Diesel AWD and he received the below PDF, from his SA, comparing the new Tucson with its competitors which are the Compass, Citroen C5 and the Tiguan. Prospective buyers, please do have a read. My friend and I are guessing Hyundai will price it at 40L on-road for the AWD. I wish the ADAS was optional in every variant like how Tesla offers.

Hyundai Tucson vs Competition .pdf

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 13:15   #680
BHPian

Previous generation Tucson top end GLS 4WD AT Diesel was priced at Rs 27,47,100 ex showroom (Source CarWale). Considering this is new generation with ADAS features but same engines with bit higher specs (Diesel), what should we expect top end version to be priced at? My SA speculated 35-38L onroad in Ahmedabad which roughly translates to 31-34L ex showroom.
Old 31st July 2022, 10:07   #681
BHPian

I was enquiring with the dealership, where I have booked the car, about the timelines regarding availability of the car for viewing and test drive at the dealership. I was informed that while 4th Aug is the price unveil and the launch date, there is no news yet for the dealer launch.

Some how either due to semiconductor scarcity leading to compromised prod lines or shear lack of interest from the company, I find the overall approach towards the car very dull, especially when you compare it against the marketing strategy by Mahindra for recent launches. All this makes even less sense when you take the booking numbers and thereby the initial interest shown in this car by the public.
Old 31st July 2022, 11:19   #682
BHPian

The owner's manual for the 2022 Tucson is now available in the official website. Here's a copy for reference:

Cheers,
Vijay
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2022 Tucson Owner's Manual.pdf (6.80 MB, 1050 views)
vvijay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 12:03   #683
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
That is a good observation.

The below snapshots are from Indian brochure and walk around video and I do not see the AWD lock button here. Ideally the button which does not have any label (above the Parking safety button) is where the AWD lock button is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
The owner's manual for the 2022 Tucson is now available in the official website. Here's a copy for reference:

Cheers,
Vijay
Went through the owner's manual and there is no mention of the location of the AWD Lock button. Did Hyundai really drop this ? This will reduce the effectiveness of AWD
Old 31st July 2022, 13:17   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post

Cheers,
Vijay
From the manual, it mentions smartstream 2.0 for Petrol engine. Is this the newer engine than what is already in other cars in India?
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-8aa7079a72c94ebaac96e810c758535e.jpeg  

Old 31st July 2022, 15:35   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishKallapur View Post
From the manual, it mentions smartstream 2.0 for Petrol engine. Is this the newer engine than what is already in other cars in India?
Yes, it’s the newer engine when compared to the outgoing model in India. This is from the brochure of the old Gen3 Tucson:

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-9732e9b410ae4bcdbb0870466b684088.jpeg

However, there have been discussions on this thread about how it’s not really a generational change in engines in spite of the the name being different. The new Smartstream 2.0 engines are apparently the old ‘Nu’ and ‘R’ engines reworked. Here’s the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Smartstream is a confusing engine family and is mostly just a branding given by Hyundai to its engines in latest generation cars.
Some of the engines are reworked but not entirely different or next gen while others are exactly the same.
This engine in all probability is the same as before as well, which is not a bad thing though.
To add to the confusion for example, the 1.5 Diesel in Hyundai Kia cars is the same engine as earlier U2 engines and a destroked version of 1.6, but the international smartstream 1.6 Diesel is a reworked version and features an aluminium engine block vs U series's Iron and some other changes.
Old 31st July 2022, 20:13   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
...there is no mention of the location of the AWD Lock button. Did Hyundai really drop this ? ..
I think its there. Its also mentioned in one of the brochures shared above. I am attaching the screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot_20220731201003.jpg  

axe_deo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 20:26   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Went through the owner's manual and there is no mention of the location of the AWD Lock button. Did Hyundai really drop this ? This will reduce the effectiveness of AWD
First of all, I'm not sure why Hyundai keeps on referencing 4WD in their brochures for HTRAC in Tucson.

The AWD or 4WD Lock Mode as Hyundai likes to advertise has been clearly highlighted by Hyundai in their brochures:

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot-20220731-7.57.02-pm.png
Name:  Screenshot 20220731 at 7.56.28 PM.png
Views: 521
Size:  17.2 KB

So, I spent some time trying to figure out where lock mode option is as the 'AWD Lock' button is no longer there which is shown in some of international variants. Happy to be corrected if I misunderstood something

The Multi Terrain mode(HTRAC/AWD variant only) is something new and that is what provides the AWD Lock option. If you look at the international variants with dedicated AWD Lock button, it does not have Multi Terrain modes (it only comes with Drive modes). Now Hyundai has provided the same functionality via letting customers select one of 4WD/AWD lock mode: Snow / Mud / Sand. Snapshot from the manual below

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot-20220731-8.00.33-pm.png

Also, additional details on Tucson AWD Lock capability:
AWD Lock mode is in operation only when a vehicle travels at 60 km/h or less. When traveling at 60 km/h or faster, the mode will switch to AWD Auto.
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 20:42   #688
BHPian

Hi, does anyone know when are the test reviews expected to come out? Is team BHP doing the test drive anytime soon?
Old 31st July 2022, 20:46   #689

Hi all - I have booked 2.0 Diesel AWD here in Gurgaon. The previous top model AWD was 32 lacs OTR in Gurgaon. My SA said the new one is expected to be closer to 39 :-o. He said the primary driver for this is ADAS. He was also not sure if this is CKD or not. He mentioned deliveries might take up to 4 months as they have no clarity on stock availability.

Going through this thread I also see some very common trends from "SA talk" across India which I think is a common narrative being pushed. for eg: everyone saying they got 30-40 bookings already. Almost every OEM is inflating demand these days. Not matter which showroom you go to, one can hear "very high demand". While no doubt Tucson was a highly expected launch, unsure how much of the so called bookings are real vs Dealers hyping up the numbers.
carObari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 21:42   #690
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has not really created enough buzz around Tucson, at least not yet. And I think this sort of points to only one thing, that the Tucson is a CKD product and Hyundai is not interested in aggressively pricing the product and is fine with the limited numbers that they may end up selling.

In my view, there is a fantastic opportunity here. XUV700 AX7 L is close to 29 lakhs on road in many states. The Jeep Compass has the diesel automatic only in the 4x4 model, making the car prohibitively expensive at nearly 34-35 lakhs. So the Tucson, if priced between a good 32-38 lakhs on road can easily pull some customers from either side. The Tucson’s base variant does not have ADAS, so can it be competitively priced? The current Tucson is not so bad at all, it’s pricing is very good, especially when compared to the Compass, I can only blame Hyundai’s lack of interest for the meagre numbers that this current Tucson managed.

Hyundai, if they continue this trend of not focusing on their premium models, will surely lose out in this segment in the long run. They just failed to push the Tucson, Elantra and even the Santa Fe, in spite of all these cars being quite good. I think they need some sort of a Nexa approach, probably create some premium dealerships in at least the top 20 cities, retail the Tucson, Elantra, the future electric cars and probably even the true N line versions etc. Else they would be just stuck with selling Cretas. Remember, they no longer command volumes in many segments today. The Santro is gone, the Grand i10 Nios is much more expensive and does not have the volumes like earlier. Similar case with the new i20 too, it just does not have the earlier volumes due to its higher starting price. The Xcents and the Auras have also failed to really light up the sales. It’s the Creta and the Venue which are sort of segment leaders, but the new Brezza, the Grand Vitara, Mahindra Scorpio have all come to the party and it’s not going to be easy at all.

So it’s time Hyundai focused on the premium segment, something they can easily afford to do. But will they? Or are they complacent with their current numbers and positioning? The new Tucson’s pricing and the way Hyundai pushes it will really determine where they want to be for the next 2-4 years.

Last edited by motorworks : 31st July 2022 at 21:44.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks