Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 12:25   #841
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Folks, this is a CKD. I believe they have limited numbers allocated for India. The intention seems to be to maximize profits on those limited numbers.
tarunjain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:26   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Whoever picked up the last batch previous gen Petrol and Diesel Tucsons, definitely got classy deals.

5 Lakhs over the previous gen Tucson’s top-end diesel 4WD for the base Petrol 2WD with the Alcazar engine is way too high IMO!!

27,70,000 Lakh ex-showroom for the base 2WD Petrol vs 27,47,000 Lakh ex-showroom for the top-end 4WD Diesel in the previous gen Tucson!

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-7ee16f0ee3e941eaa90a7e31162708f2.jpeg

Even the mother of all price hikes, Fortuner didn’t get such a big price hike when the new generation (2016) / facelift (2021) was launched!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:29   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Atrocious pricing, HMIL not looking for volumes with this one looks like.
What is 27L base petrol Tucson offering over 19L Alcazar?
Two lesser seats perhaps?
Denny_C is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:33   #844
BHPian

Now my Tiguan booking seems VFM lol. All about relative pricing I suppose.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:33   #845
Senior - BHPian

The owners of the outgoing 3rd generation Tucson would be thanking their stars. IMHO they are the real winners. A better-looking Tucson for half-a-million less. Rs 6,11,167 saved. (5year/8.5%)

If you read the body (or launch) language of Hyundai, they are almost certain that the new Tucson will not sell well and continue to remain a peripheral product. Hyundai is happy with the Creta and apparently it has no hope in capturing market for anything higher than that.

Maybe KIA will chip in with the Sportage.

Meanwhile I guess Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha, also trading as Greedy Motors, will call a top-level meeting today afternoon; the agenda has two items to discuss:
- competition is catching up with the price
- hence must create a roadmap to push the Legendar price to 1CR by 2025.
sandeepmdas is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:37   #846
BHPian

I understand the massive hike but then the car has increased in dimension by a segment (44xx vs 46xx). Add to that the massive difference in interior quality and styling of the car. This was always going to go head to head with the Tiguan and C5. It is a bit bigger than both these cars as well. Its not the worst pricing considering the segment it is playing in. The Tiguan (petrol) and C5 retails around the 33-34L (ex-showroom) and I see Hyundai going for people buying in that segment.
This was never meant to be a XUV700/Harrier rival.

Last edited by kartavya : 10th August 2022 at 12:39.
kartavya is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:40   #847
BHPian

Will this suddenly make the Alcazar petrol a cheaper alternative, with the same engine, Head unit and instrument cluster..
Old 10th August 2022, 12:47   #848
BHPian

Prices are definitely higher than expected. I have a pre booking done myself.
Few thoughts:
-Hyundai makes money off mass market - 40-50k or even more vehicles per month. Even if they sell a thousand Tucsons a month, it does not contribute significantly to their numbers.
-I am not surprised as the likes of Tiguan and Kodiaq are 40+, so wouldn’t expect Hyundai to not to be in a similar price range. I know the Germans are built better, but still.
-We have Jeep Compass top end in a similar range
- Question - When is it that a company has revised (lowered) their prices after launch, that too for such a niche product?
Old 10th August 2022, 12:49   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
Will this suddenly make the Alcazar petrol a cheaper alternative, with the same engine, Head unit and instrument cluster..
That is pretty much the only similarity between those two vehicles. I test drove the Alcazar at the time of buying the third-gen Tucson, and I can tell you that they are a segment apart.

Is the price difference of around ~10 Lacs worth it? That is an altogether different discussion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
- Question - When is it that a company has revised (lowered) their prices after launch, that too for such a niche product?
I remember Honda reducing the price of Jazz once by around a Lac. Other than that, have seen only price increases after the initial few months. The only chance is dealer discounts if the car turns into a dud.

Last edited by Bhargav7 : 10th August 2022 at 12:52.
Bhargav7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:52   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
What is 27L base petrol Tucson offering over 19L Alcazar?
Safety.

It is a 5 star EU-NCAP car while the Alcazar - for all we know - could be 3 star GNCAP.
yogishkamath is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:00   #851
BHPian

Hyundai has made it clear - If you want quality product, which will keep you "actually" safe, give us money that you pay for German or American cars! Period!!

This launch was deja-vu for me. Reminded me about how Kodiaq and Tiguan had a lot of cheerleaders, but gradually lost them post obnoxious price reveal!

Look forward to seeing 3K pre-booking number to normalise at 2-2.2K.
manpreetsj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:05   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Discounts incoming near Mar 2023, hold on to purchases!!
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:09   #853
BHPian

I'm cancelling my booking and going with Octavia L&K instead.

Hyundai made everyone wait for this launch event for the price and yet did not reveal prices of all the variants. Don't know how long it would take them to announce prices of all the variants.

At 27.7L starting price, base petrol variant would be close to 35-36L on-road here in Kerala. 4WD variant might top 45L. That's too much money for a Hyundai!

Last edited by manumike : 10th August 2022 at 13:13.
manumike is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:11   #854
Senior - BHPian

Honestly the pricing is not surprising for me, it was expected as all cars are getting expensive.
But what stupidity of not announcing all variant prices. Are we saying such a big company is really not able to price their car till last moment? Or they are just playing with the customers and trying to build excitement - I see this pricing announcement strategy only going to negatively impact the interest of customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumike View Post
I'm cancelling my booking and going with Octavia L&K instead.

At 27.7L starting price, base petrol variant would be close to 35-36L on-road here in Kerala. 4WD variant might top 45L. That's too much money for a Hyundai!
Personal opinion, Octavia is much better VFM at this price. That 2 TSI engine will itself steal the deal.

Last edited by sunikkat : 10th August 2022 at 13:19.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:13   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
I remember Honda reducing the price of Jazz once by around a Lac. Other than that, have seen only price increases after the initial few months. The only chance is dealer discounts if the car turns into a dud.
Thanks for this reference. I remember it as well that and that’s the point. This is a CKD, they will most probably never have excess inventory or production line issues. As much as I would like for the prices to be lesser, realistically speaking, I do not see them happening. I do not know what input one might have to say that they would be reduced 6 months down the line, but as a trend I see them being revised upwards first.

Thanks
amitdan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed